Author Topic: EL: Ata 0 vs 1 Liv (3-1) Mo 7’  (Read 16788 times)

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: EL: Ata 0 vs 1 Liv (3-1) Mo 7’
« Reply #520 on: April 18, 2024, 11:28:35 pm »
The difference is probably a manager and team like Arsenal and Arteta, a lesser version of Guardiola. That’s the opposite spectrum of what it seems posters are describing as a change to Klopp, I’m not sure any of manager in the world could compete with that standard of consistent 95+ point seasons, only Klopp, and doing it that way, his way is probably the only way to get any success out of the competition we’ve had with City and Guardiola.

I don't disagree with any of that. I just think people had jumped on that post as something to hate, when I don't think any of it was below the belt.

I said in my post that Klopp’s way is probably the only way for us to truly compete toe to toe against clubs (and that's not just City) who spend way more than we do. I wish he was staying and I don't at all think we'll be better after he's gone.

But at the same time, I don't begrudge people feeling exhausted and worn out by it all either. These years with Klopp have been amazing, but I can also feel worn out by the constant extreme highs and lows.

I don't necessarily think that Ruben Amorim or whoever it ends up being will do better than Jurgen - they almost certainly won't. But this evening, in the context of watching my team go out with a whimper, while looking completely spent, I just think it's OK to wonder how it will be different going forward. You can wonder that without disrespecting Jurgen Klopp or in any way thinking it'll be better without him. I'm just willing to embrace the difference now that it's been forced upon us. And I'm probably saying all this because of how much it hurts right now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: April 18, 2024, 11:28:37 pm »
I would like to point out that we won the game and got a clean sheet.

MOMENTUM!

Offline Fernando

• Boys Pen
« Reply #522 on: April 18, 2024, 11:38:16 pm »
A similar result against Fulham on Sunday would be very nice thank you very much.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #523 on: April 18, 2024, 11:39:10 pm »
After a great start, we went back to wasting chances and panicking when we got in their box but the 2nd half was really disappointing, we didn't lay a glove on them for 45mins. Felt like the subs made us worse not sure why there was a lack of intensity from those who came on.

Need to regroup first. Play lile we did in the 1st 20min then we'll be ok.
L8
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: April 18, 2024, 11:43:35 pm »
We won.

The winning streak starts now.

Couldn't be bothered reading through 14 pages of the same post so thanks 4pool.

I actually thought we played well first half. Mo's form has gone to pot otherwise it's 2-0 at half-time. You can't miss those in a game like this at that stage. It was a killer. 2-0 and I think we'd have managed it. It was a classic European performance.
Second half Gasperini did a number on us and Trent (who was excellent) died, we lost the accuracy of the long pass, they pressed up and event' it was 5 against 5 in both halves we withered away.
Injuries and loss of form have done for us. It's been a brilliant ride till the last month.
But, we won.

Everything that remains possible hangs on Sunday. I'll take another 14 pages of moaning with the same result. We can do it.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2024, 11:43:58 pm »
When's the last time we had a half like that second half? I read somewhere that our xG was 0.04 but in reality it should have been 0.00. I don't remember when we last didn't look like scoring at all.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2024, 11:45:05 pm »
I don't disagree with any of that. I just think people had jumped on that post as something to hate, when I don't think any of it was below the belt.

I said in my post that Klopp’s way is probably the only way for us to truly compete toe to toe against clubs (and that's not just City) who spend way more than we do. I wish he was staying and I don't at all think we'll be better after he's gone.

But at the same time, I don't begrudge people feeling exhausted and worn out by it all either. These years with Klopp have been amazing, but I can also feel worn out by the constant extreme highs and lows.

I don't necessarily think that Ruben Amorim or whoever it ends up being will do better than Jurgen - they almost certainly won't. But this evening, in the context of watching my team go out with a whimper, while looking completely spent, I just think it's OK to wonder how it will be different going forward. You can wonder that without disrespecting Jurgen Klopp or in any way thinking it'll be better without him. I'm just willing to embrace the difference now that it's been forced upon us. And I'm probably saying all this because of how much it hurts right now.

Thanks for that, and for ‘getting’ the gist of my post.

Were I to rewrite that post, I’d make sure not to infer that I’m in any way not very sad Klopp is going. He’s done an incredible job, and I love everything about him, not just his footballing beliefs, but his humanity, integrity and most of all, kindness.

But I AM looking forward to the new regime - because as a lifelong supporter and former season ticket holder, I look forward not back, and I have faith in the owners’ decisions to start a new era.

Does that mean I’ve given up hope we can still win this season’s title? Point me to where I suggested that. I DID say I think it’s unlikely, because our form has fallen off a cliff. Anyway, football forums always generate passion, and in particular, loyalty. My post was never intended to reflect disloyalty to a wonderful man, only a reluctant acceptance that it’s almost time to look forward.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:14:49 am by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2024, 11:48:11 pm »
I can't remember the last time we have struggled to play out from the back like that. Atalanta were comfortably the toughest team we have faced this season.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: April 19, 2024, 12:03:09 am »
I can't remember the last time we have struggled to play out from the back like that. Atalanta were comfortably the toughest team we have faced this season.

Yet they are 6th in Serie A. It was them playing good but it was mostly us having a meltdown apart from a few parts in the second leg.

At least we beat them away from home which is a plus, and I’m hoping that like all blips we have had this comes to an end but sooner rather than later.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: April 19, 2024, 12:04:29 am »
We looked clueless and lacked any quality to make a difference against a well drilled but very average team, all they needed to do was run at our players and we passed it to Ali.

The Salah chance may have changed things but collectively poor again.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #530 on: April 19, 2024, 12:15:04 am »
Well 2.0 first year did a good job and gathered some good experience. Truckloads better than the pre season genius's had it down for, and who knows the titles still in play. Decent showing for a team built around TAA who missed the second half of the year. Your first and second halves were Trent on it and Trent tired then off. Pretty straightforward.

Shit couple of weeks but i guess we just ran out of steam.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2024, 12:35:12 am »
I'm shocking at watching our games when I'm not actually going - made an effort the last month due to not being able to get home to Liverpool and we have had a downturn

Only solution to our season is I switch off and just travel every game

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: April 19, 2024, 12:38:39 am »
Amongst my disappointment, I know full well these players have not become useless overnight. Neither has Jürgen.

We’ve had a brutal run of injuries requiring lots of personnel changes. We have rebuilt the midfield, and much of the attack. We’ve gone quite deep in four competitions (against expectations) and had barely any time in this second half of the season to train a different approach, and my own opinion has long been that we’ve needed something different than the inverted full back approach, as our defence has been very vulnerable all season.

I don’t know why the manager and coaching staff have seemingly abandoned the high tempo, hard pressing game (perhaps because of the injuries and tiredness?) but to my recollection, we looked our best when we played that way. I don’t know why we seemingly chose the very slow play out from the back/ hoof it tactics in both Atalanta games. I can only surmise why we have recently misplaced the ability to pass quickly, accurately and progressively (with so many changes and lack of training time, it seems to me that a lot of our players are not quite on the same wavelength - seen today with progressive passes going into space that no one was attacking).

I’m fairly old school and consider getting a solid defence in order is the most important focus. I simply don’t believe that risking going behind first every game is sensible, as it must be catastrophically hard on the players’ mentality. If one risks that for heavy metal pressing and high risk attacking, fair enough, but I think we’ve allowed opposition to believe that they will always score, and our possession game has failed too often (which may be understandable given our youth and new midfield) resulting in brutal goals.

If Jürgen was staying, I believe he would fix things in preseason as he has done before. I can’t blame him for not finding the energy now - he has told us he is close to burn out. The future is still very bright for me, and these players will be making our complaints now look foolish by Christmas.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2024, 12:48:15 am »
Give me six more 1-0 wins please.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2024, 01:13:53 am »

Yep, can boring as fuck, don't care.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2024, 02:16:07 am »
Alisson made the most passes by a goalkeeper in Europa league or Champions League history with 94.

Sums up the performance
Jurgen must be as mystified as we are. There is no way he would ever tell this team to play this way. What is going on?

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #536 on: April 19, 2024, 04:59:49 am »
This is like when the Emperor was killed in Return of The Jedi and the Imperial troops completely gave up and got routed. Players aren't playing for the manager anymore.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #537 on: April 19, 2024, 05:00:40 am »
Just finished seeing the match finally.

The first 15 minutes we came out like a bat outta hell and they couldn't handle us.  We seemed to overwhelm them. 

And then from about 15 on...  we started just walking it around, tapping passes in a triangle from Alisson to VVD to Konate with Mac thrown in to touch the ball a few times too.  Lost any urgency at all and any momentum from a quick start and then.... just reverted into the same match we've been watching for several weeks now.  Good possession but completely impotent.  Looking to nickel and dime them to death with short sideways passes and then hoping for the perfect backheel through about 8 sets of legs in the box for the easy tap-in. 

I realize you can't go balls to the wall for 90 minutes straight, but I think I'd have rather tried to win an uptempo match 2-5 than a slow patient one 0-3. 

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2024, 05:24:01 am »
January 2024       AbuDhabi FC        Injured players:  1

......................... Arsenal FC          Injured players:   1

........................  Liverpool FC        Injured players:  14

All current problems stem from these stats.

That is all.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2024, 05:35:40 am »
January 2024       AbuDhabi FC        Injured players:  1

......................... Arsenal FC          Injured players:   1

........................  Liverpool FC        Injured players:  14

All current problems stem from these stats.

That is all.

Absolutely not the case over the 2 legs. Unless all them Injured players were on the side telling us to continually pass backwards and never turn around and face the other goal
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #540 on: April 19, 2024, 06:29:24 am »
The second half was so disappointing. It's easier said than done but the thought process should been, the man to man marking has made it impossible to play out from the back or play through the thirds so how do we combat that? They should have been hitting the ball into Nunez and surrounding him to win the second ball. Or they should have been hitting the ball into the opposition's corners and trying to win the ball from there. We needed to be in the opposition final third but we played most of the second half near our own penalty box. We were going out and at that stage, you have to gamble.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: April 19, 2024, 06:39:25 am »
Klopp: “I liked the game a lot. The commitment, the power the boys showed was incredible.”

lol
Is that real? Sounds like something the owl would’ve said. The first 10 minutes were like that maybe then they all had a nap for the second half.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: April 19, 2024, 06:41:01 am »
Is that real? Sounds like something the owl would’ve said. The first 10 minutes were like that maybe then they all had a nap for the second half.

Klopp is trying to be positive. I hate when fans pick over comments the manager says in public. Who the fuck cares. What matters is what he says to the players behind closed doors.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2024, 06:45:56 am »
Klopp is trying to be positive. I hate when fans pick over comments the manager says in public. Who the fuck cares. What matters is what he says to the players behind closed doors.

Exactly it's typical of certain people that they quote a single line rather than the whole interview. They put it there to get reactions and sadly people fall for it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #544 on: April 19, 2024, 06:55:15 am »
Absolutely not the case over the 2 legs. Unless all them Injured players were on the side telling us to continually pass backwards and never turn around and face the other goal

Think you missed the point. Our strength in the first half of the season was how well we finished games and our relative fitness allowing us to maintain pressure late in games. The injuries in the early part of this calendar year have killed us in that respect. Our team is either worn out or rusty from what happened in that period. In both games against Atalanta, they were by far the fitter side, which doesn’t happen if not for the injury crisis.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #545 on: April 19, 2024, 06:57:14 am »
All good things……….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Chakri

• Main Stander
« Reply #546 on: April 19, 2024, 07:12:46 am »
Hmm again no luck Liverpool. Whole lot different story if that Elliott shot went inside in first leg.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: April 19, 2024, 07:19:32 am »
Think you missed the point. Our strength in the first half of the season was how well we finished games and our relative fitness allowing us to maintain pressure late in games. The injuries in the early part of this calendar year have killed us in that respect. Our team is either worn out or rusty from what happened in that period. In both games against Atalanta, they were by far the fitter side, which doesn’t happen if not for the injury crisis.

The Utd game broke us, we finally couldn’t over turn our own complacency. You can’t keep needing goals in the 75th onwards to win games, it’s unsustainable at around 10 games a season let alone nearly half.

That’s what today was, over 180mins we were 3-1 down and we just don’t have faith we will score.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: April 19, 2024, 07:19:45 am »
Hmm again no luck Liverpool. Whole lot different story if that Elliott shot went inside in first leg.

The significant moment is when Nunez missed his 1 v 1 at 0-0. We score that and it's a different game.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: April 19, 2024, 07:21:17 am »
It's not just Klopp that has no energy. I feel physically and emotionally drained and I'm a fan, not a player.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: April 19, 2024, 07:22:53 am »
It's not just Klopp that has no energy. I feel physically and emotionally drained and I'm a fan, not a player.

Sadly yes, harsh viewing at the moment, when Salah missed I knew it was done, my heart sank.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #551 on: April 19, 2024, 07:24:12 am »
Imagine how miserable we'd all have been if we had started the season off like this (not inconceivable given all the changes).

We didn't, and I have some fantastic memories and had loads of fun along the way.

Sure, we've faltered in the last few weeks, but we've had better squads than this falter too over the years.

I'm a bit disapponted but such is life.

I've been in the situation where a leader has resigned and it often takes a while for the sobering reality to sink in - I think that's part of what has happened here.

Chin up everyone, season not done yet

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #552 on: April 19, 2024, 07:25:28 am »
I was there, the fans were great.

I was at Anfield the last few weeks too and the belief is gone replaced by sniping of our own players, into a lot of anger and toxicity at the Palace game.

The belief is not there right now, when the going gets tough the fans are leaving and criticizing

Anfield is reactive. That's what make it what it is in a visceral way. Its stepped up a lot since December, not least as we've barely had one straightforward win in that time, going back to Fulham.

But the crowd react to what the players are serving up which is why the atmosphere was shite last season as well, that's just how it is. The players have to show something as well.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #553 on: April 19, 2024, 07:30:08 am »
Amen

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: April 19, 2024, 07:34:38 am »
Same

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #555 on: April 19, 2024, 07:39:10 am »
The second half was so disappointing. It's easier said than done but the thought process should been, the man to man marking has made it impossible to play out from the back or play through the thirds so how do we combat that? They should have been hitting the ball into Nunez and surrounding him to win the second ball. Or they should have been hitting the ball into the opposition's corners and trying to win the ball from there. We needed to be in the opposition final third but we played most of the second half near our own penalty box. We were going out and at that stage, you have to gamble.
They are 6th in serie A, not prime Real Madrid, so apparently plenty of teams have figured how to beat them
We came into these games without a plan. 180 minutes of confused looks.

IMO this debacle is very different from the Palace and United games. There we created quite a lot of chances, but failed to convert.
Our xG against CP was 2.74, which should be enough to win comfortably

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: April 19, 2024, 07:40:07 am »

100% agree. It's been a hell of a ride with Jurgen and only 100% commitment from players, manager and fans got us to the heights we reached. But it's like the whole thing is running on empty now. This past 11 days has really hurt and left me shattered. Imagine what it's like for the squad.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: April 19, 2024, 07:41:01 am »
They are 6th in serie A, not prime Real Madrid, so apparently plenty of teams have figured how to beat them
We came into these games without a plan. 180 minutes of confused looks.

IMO this debacle is very different from the Palace and United games. There we created quite a lot of chances, but failed to convert.
Our xG against CP was 2.74, which should be enough to win comfortably

Normally with a team that goes man for man with you you beat them with superior players but we have players short of confidence, short of fitness or have been over played. It was a perfect storm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: April 19, 2024, 07:42:37 am »
Think the more concerning aspect of the game was that in two matches, none of our players have won their individual battles. Hard to know if thats purely a physical or technical thing.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: April 19, 2024, 07:47:54 am »
It was disappointing that more of our players weren't willing to dribble past the man markers. Gravenberch is out of favour but that is what he is really good at.