Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2776816 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #60760 on: April 23, 2021, 02:11:35 pm »
saying that they didn't expect picks does however mean they can call the picks a 'reach' and 'poor' though and talk/write numerous articles about that even though it's a crap shoot at best in pretty much every round.

Oh yeah, forgot about the round of reach picks articles they will also trot out alongside the self-congratulatory ones, conveniently those articles also won't get mentioned for the players that perform as well as the teams think and the pundits turned out to be gobshites again.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60761 on: April 24, 2021, 12:35:04 am »
You'd suspect whoever takes him, will have a bridge QB in place for 2021 and maybe even 2022.

High reward, high risk pick based on his talent but also his lack of experience and the level of opposition he had at college level.

Feel like a pick that gets even to a higher risk level if he has to potentially start in 2021. That's why I think somewhere like 49ers or Falcons could be perfect for him. I'm unsure whether either team would pick him at 3 or 4.
I would guess Lance will be starter on his NFL team by midseason. The only guy who actually backed up for a whole year in a long time is Mahomes, he started week 17 and KC was a playoff team when drafting him. Also Jordan Love(but I have no clue what GB Is doing with that)
The biggest issue with Lance is lack of games and that not his fault(FCS moved to Spring and it better to just prep for draft at that point). He had a very good season at age 19 even by FCS standards.
Covid lack of normal combine with a bunch of players sitting out has made the draft process tricky, some guys are a little higher risk.
Lance would be higher risk at QB but get the right coaching staff/QB room I think he will good.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #60762 on: April 25, 2021, 06:31:56 pm »
Don't get all the Trey Lance hype. That guy gives me major Mitch Trubisky vibes.

I'm actually the opposite.  I think he'll be good.  He's some small school stuff to sort out, but if he got the right organization - he'd be good.

Fields is the one I think might tank.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 06:40:10 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60763 on: April 25, 2021, 06:34:11 pm »
if anyone's got fuck all else to watch this evening

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #60764 on: April 25, 2021, 06:36:57 pm »
Posting to see if anyone has some interest in doing a new start-up dynasty keeper league with a TE preferences - nice distraction from Liverpool footy.

If you are interested in the details, or participating let me know---  Imagine there will be 4-6 openings.  This league is full of fun cast of characters - so think about it.

We have even talked about some day meeting in Vegas or some place in Europe to do the rookie drafts, have some beers and put some faces to the names here in RAWK.

So, if you think you want to test yourself against other RAWKites (and we are a pretty rowdy group), then PM me and I'll get you league details and answer questions.

Cheers Trend!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:47:06 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #60765 on: April 27, 2021, 12:11:12 pm »
[quote author=Ray K link=topic=80300.msg17701943#msg17701943 date=1618644635
You should probably apologize to Aaron Donald too. Mainly on the tiniest chance that Donald has heard about you dissing him, because I've seen what he does to offensive linemen who *haven't* called him a giant c*nt.
[/quote]

;D

in other news, some outlets suggesting falcons are looking to trade jones!? draft cap issues apparently, but still.... that went well for the texans
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #60766 on: April 27, 2021, 12:25:06 pm »
What is weird, the Cleveland Browns having a low draft pick. ;D
#Sausages

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60767 on: April 27, 2021, 10:19:51 pm »
The intense focus on the Niners' QB decisions has reached new levels.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1386770961718972425

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Headline: Kyle Shanahan won’t guarantee we’ll live on Sunday.
Quote Tweet

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
 · Apr 26
Can Kyle Shanahan guarantee Jimmy Garoppolo will be on the roster Sunday?

"I can’t guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday."
Show this thread
King Kenny.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60768 on: April 27, 2021, 10:24:07 pm »
they're taking ian book.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #60769 on: April 28, 2021, 10:34:20 am »
The intense focus on the Niners' QB decisions has reached new levels.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1386770961718972425

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Headline: Kyle Shanahan won’t guarantee we’ll live on Sunday.
Quote Tweet

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
 · Apr 26
Can Kyle Shanahan guarantee Jimmy Garoppolo will be on the roster Sunday?

"I can’t guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive Sunday."
Show this thread

I think the Shanahan/Lynch press conference on Monday was telling. It was very defensive from Shanahan in particular. Against a backdrop of most 49ers wanting them to pick Fields or Lance and being dead set against Mac Jones, I thought Shanahan's response indicated they are taking Jones. Without saying it, the whole feel of the press conference felt like them setting their stall out and being defensive about the pick without revealing the pick.

Watching a bit of tape, I wouldn't be that excited with Mac Jones at 3. He feels like a stretch at that pick and not worth giving up 2 future 1st rounders. He's also not the most dynamic QB in this class and also had an almost all-star college offence to play in at Alabama. In saying all that, I do think Shanahan needs to pick who he wants and who he thinks fits best in his system. If that's Mac Jones then so be it. The pressure on Jones and Shanahan will be huge though. The 49ers have a stacked roster and picking a very unpopular QB, puts huge pressure on Jones to hit the ground running individually but also he needs to propel the team back into the playoffs as a bare minimum. Anything less and there'll be huge pressure on Lynch and Shanahan.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #60770 on: April 28, 2021, 11:24:40 am »
As long as we don't trade for Jimmy G, I'm fine if whatever we do in the draft.

I mean I'd love the Pats to trade up with the Broncos or Panthers and take one of Fields or Trey Lance but I doubt we'll trade up. Just don't need us trading our 2nd round pick to the 49ers for Jimmy G and I've a terrible feeling we'll do just that. We'd be in mediocrity for the next 5 years if so. But Fields or Lance are game changers. I'd love Mac Jones and he'd be my choice but I think it is almost certain 49ers will pick him.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60771 on: April 28, 2021, 07:26:35 pm »
carolina really wanted shot of bridgewater.

traded for a 6th rounder and they're still paying $7M of his wages.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #60772 on: April 28, 2021, 10:19:33 pm »
Do the Broncos even bother drafting a QB now, unless one falls in their lap?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60773 on: April 28, 2021, 11:26:12 pm »
I think the Shanahan/Lynch press conference on Monday was telling. It was very defensive from Shanahan in particular. Against a backdrop of most 49ers wanting them to pick Fields or Lance and being dead set against Mac Jones, I thought Shanahan's response indicated they are taking Jones. Without saying it, the whole feel of the press conference felt like them setting their stall out and being defensive about the pick without revealing the pick.

Watching a bit of tape, I wouldn't be that excited with Mac Jones at 3. He feels like a stretch at that pick and not worth giving up 2 future 1st rounders. He's also not the most dynamic QB in this class and also had an almost all-star college offence to play in at Alabama. In saying all that, I do think Shanahan needs to pick who he wants and who he thinks fits best in his system. If that's Mac Jones then so be it. The pressure on Jones and Shanahan will be huge though. The 49ers have a stacked roster and picking a very unpopular QB, puts huge pressure on Jones to hit the ground running individually but also he needs to propel the team back into the playoffs as a bare minimum. Anything less and there'll be huge pressure on Lynch and Shanahan.

Yep, the scrutiny on the trade-up, this pick, and how good the overall team is will mean massive pressure to perform.  There's going to be so much focus on this pick!  On the flip side, resetting the QB contract clock with a rookie is certainly appealing for being able to keep the core of the team together for a while longer yet.

If they like the QBs, and they can get a deal done, they should absolutely do it.  There's no point in passing up a chance to get a potentially great QB because they've got Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock.  On the flip side, if they don't really like the remaining QBs or don't want to give up the capital, then they can stay put and hope there will be options in the future.  If they can get a Trey Lance, there's less pressure for him to start day 1 too (given his lack of experience) as they'd at least have an option on the roster to play if he's not close to being ready.
King Kenny.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60774 on: April 29, 2021, 02:18:03 am »
6th round pick is nothing. IF there somebody they want they could still either trade up and get somebody who falls to them

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #60775 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:07 am »

They could end up with Fields if rumours of him slipping are true. In which case that'll be the steal of the draft.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #60776 on: April 29, 2021, 09:58:26 am »
Yep, the scrutiny on the trade-up, this pick, and how good the overall team is will mean massive pressure to perform.  There's going to be so much focus on this pick!

Maybe I’m in a 49ers bubble but it seems like most focus is on that No.3 pick. Partially because there’s no intrigue about what happens at 1 and 2. But also partially because it’s not that often that a team with a Top10 roster picks this high in the draft. Injuries killed the 49ers hopes last year but also gave them the chance for a shot of drafting a franchise QB via the draft (and a mega trade). They still have the vast majority of a roster that is just over 12 months removed from a Super Bowl appearance. DeForest Buckner is the biggest loss in that period plus arguably Emmanuel Sanders ( though Ayuik is a great replacement).

When was the last time that a team with a roster this good, on paper, picked Top 3 in the draft?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60777 on: April 29, 2021, 10:05:34 am »
It'll be wild if the 49ers go with Mac Jones. Could be one of those decisions that tanks the franchise for the next half decade or so.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60778 on: April 29, 2021, 10:05:50 am »
Maybe I’m in a 49ers bubble but it seems like most focus is on that No.3 pick. Partially because there’s no intrigue about what happens at 1 and 2. But also partially because it’s not that often that a team with a Top10 roster picks this high in the draft. Injuries killed the 49ers hopes last year but also gave them the chance for a shot of drafting a franchise QB via the draft (and a mega trade). They still have the vast majority of a roster that is just over 12 months removed from a Super Bowl appearance. DeForest Buckner is the biggest loss in that period plus arguably Emmanuel Sanders ( though Ayuik is a great replacement).

When was the last time that a team with a roster this good, on paper, picked Top 3 in the draft?

probably the 9ers when they picked bosa!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #60779 on: April 29, 2021, 10:49:17 am »
It'll be wild if the 49ers go with Mac Jones. Could be one of those decisions that tanks the franchise for the next half decade or so.

Trading all those picks to get that high in the draft, only to select him would be wild

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #60780 on: April 29, 2021, 10:51:29 am »
It's absolutely wild that the Niners traded three 1st round picks to move up to 3 when there's no consensus between Shanahan and front office on who to pick. Blows my mind.

The most intriguing pick might be where Justin Fields ends up. There's a fair chance that he might fall to the Pats without them having to trade up into the top 10, which is the most Pats thing imaginable.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60781 on: April 29, 2021, 10:53:32 am »
It's absolutely wild that the Niners traded three 1st round picks to move up to 3 when there's no consensus between Shanahan and front office on who to pick. Blows my mind.

Or maybe that's just all bollocks.

I pretty much believe nothing at this time of year.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60782 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:56 am »

The most intriguing pick might be where Justin Fields ends up. There's a fair chance that he might fall to the Pats without them having to trade up into the top 10, which is the most Pats thing imaginable.

Shame on every team in the top 10 if that happens. Would be ridiculous.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60783 on: April 29, 2021, 11:07:12 am »
Trading all those picks to get that high in the draft, only to select him would be wild

Every mock has him going there but I'm not sure. I don't know much about the 49ers franchise but they don't seem to be run by complete idiots from what I've seen but I might be giving them too much credit.

From what I've seen Mac Jones is the consensus no.5 QB in this class in terms of ability and ceiling so I just don't get why they'd trade to no.3 for him like you said.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #60784 on: April 29, 2021, 11:18:27 am »
Drafting Trey Lance as #3 would be insane considering the dude literally has played one game in the last year. While not his fault, that's a gigantic gamble if it happens. Especially considering the guy who threw 6 TD passes versus Clemson will be available. The pressure would be immense and they'd set him up for failure similar to Trubisky and Darnold. Lance should be a mid first-rounder considering his CV and it'd be utter madness to trade up that far to pick him, especially since he's supposedly going to be a backup for at least two years. If say the Bears or Saints had traded up a bit to get him, that's understandable, but when already sitting in the top 10 it's madness. You just don't pick guys that high to bench them for two years... For the Niners' sake I really hope they play it safe.

He may shock everyone and be the next star right off the bat, but it's hard to say what kind of opposition he's really had playing for North Dakota. The point is - it's a gamble a team that was in the Super Bowl 14 months ago and have a team capable of getting there again with the right QB can ill afford to make. In fact, Penei Sewell might be a better pick than any QB for them. Garoppolo being properly shielded, may well actually keep him fit. They won't, but I think there's a case to make that they should.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:24:15 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60785 on: April 29, 2021, 12:55:03 pm »
I saw something the other day where fields had a passer rating under pressure in the 70's. now stats are for prats when taken in isolation, but it did stick out and would be something worth investigating to find the reasons for it.

seems to be absolutely pissing it down in cleveland

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #60786 on: April 29, 2021, 01:36:09 pm »
When do we think the draft is going to get interesting, teams doing late deals to trade up & so on?
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60787 on: April 29, 2021, 01:40:02 pm »
When do we think the draft is going to get interesting

I've no doubt that both jags and jets will needlessly waste everyone's time by taking ages to do the obvious, so probably about 1:30am!

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #60788 on: April 29, 2021, 01:52:18 pm »
I've no doubt that both jags and jets will needlessly waste everyone's time by taking ages to do the obvious, so probably about 1:30am!
God that'll piss me off. Goodell would probably triple his approval ratings if he came to the podium and said 'Welcome to the 2021 Draft. With the 1st pick the Jags have selected Trevor Lawrence, the Jets have selected Zach Wilson with the 2nd pick and the 49ers are now on the clock'

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60789 on: April 29, 2021, 02:05:43 pm »
God that'll piss me off. Goodell would probably triple his approval ratings if he came to the podium and said 'Welcome to the 2021 Draft. With the 1st pick the Jags have selected Trevor Lawrence, the Jets have selected Zach Wilson with the 2nd pick and the 49ers are now on the clock'

considering the team with pick 1 have always effectively been on the clock for months, they should be told that they have to make their pick immediately instead of fannying around for no reason.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60790 on: April 29, 2021, 02:19:25 pm »

It definitely seems like the #3 pick has been the most talked about since that trade.  The Jets sent Darnold to Carolina, and all indications have been that we'll take Wilson (our dynasty begins, you watch!  ;D ).  Given the amount given up to move to #3, how complete the 49ers are as a team, and the lack of commitment so far, this really is the first pick with such intense focus in this draft.  It's certainly rare that a team this good is picking in the top 3.

When do we think the draft is going to get interesting, teams doing late deals to trade up & so on?

The Niners pick, depending on the QB they choose, could make the picks right after very valuable.  It seems like teams have talked to Atlanta about pick #4.  The Falcons have a few options themselves (some rumors they may want to move Julio on).  There's been some suggestion the Falcons could take a QB themselves as a Matt Ryan successor, but don't know if I see that.  They could trade Julio (though they don't save on cap unless they trade him after June 1st) and draft one of the top pass-catchers in Pitts, Chase, or Smith.  Give Matt Ryan a couple of more years to make a final run.

Beyond that, where Justin Fields and Trey Lance actually go (assuming Jones goes to the Niners) will be interesting  Could a race for trade-ups for teams like the Broncos or the Patriots after pick #3 is confirmed.  Who's going to end up making the moves?

Caleb Farley's one of the best CBs in the draft but has had back surgeries before.  Are teams worried about his health?  Jaylen Waddle's an explosive talent and was destined to be a star of that Bama team for the entire year before his injury.  Where does he go given that there are lots of talented receivers in the draft?  Could some team picking very late trade up to get him if he starts falling?  Both the Jets and Jags have two first-rounders (Jags have two second-rounders this year, the Jets have two third-rounders and overall 10 picks in the first 3 rounds this year and next).  How will these teams build around their new QBs?  Will they be tempted to trade up with their second first-round pick should someone like Waddle start falling?  Talent-deprived teams shouldn't be trading up a lot, but if you have so many picks, and you can get the guys you want.

In addition to Lance (1 game excepted), we didn't see Penei Sewell or Jamarr Chase this season either.  Shouldn't affect their stock, but what about lesser-heralded guys that didn't play (or play many games)?

Let the fun begin!  ;D
King Kenny.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60791 on: April 29, 2021, 06:10:00 pm »
considering the team with pick 1 have always effectively been on the clock for months, they should be told that they have to make their pick immediately instead of fannying around for no reason.

You do realise it’s all for ads and coverage nothing to do with any team fan ting around at 1 or 2 right?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #60792 on: April 29, 2021, 06:18:03 pm »
Maddest rumour of the day is that 49ers offered a package including the 3rd pick for Aaron Rodgers that was turned down :lmao

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60793 on: April 29, 2021, 06:48:32 pm »
Maddest rumour of the day is that 49ers offered a package including the 3rd pick for Aaron Rodgers that was turned down :lmao

Saw that too.  The draft can't get here fast enough.
King Kenny.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60794 on: April 29, 2021, 06:55:42 pm »
You do realise it’s all for ads and coverage nothing to do with any team fan ting around at 1 or 2 right?

most things in the nfl come down to ads, but I call that no reason. get the fuck on with it

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #60795 on: April 29, 2021, 07:00:47 pm »
I'm just praying ABSOLUTELY PRAYING!!!! We don't trade for Jimmy G!!! That we actually try and trade up to get one of Jones, Fields or Lance. I'd be delighted with either.

No way no how can the Pats do anything by trading for Jimmy G - we'd be stuck in mediocrity for the next 5 years or so and will have the worst QB in the AFC East and that is saying something!! Please, please don't do it Bill!! Just to try and prove a worthless point. One of the aforementioned 3 QBs in the draft would set us up for the next decade and Cam Newton is an excellent bridge for this upcoming year to start off the season and the rookie to get a feel of the place. That is another point Jimmy G isn't even better than Cam!!

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60796 on: April 29, 2021, 07:50:18 pm »
I don't think it's the first if april again, but apparently tim tebow worked out as a TE for the jags.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60797 on: April 29, 2021, 08:01:32 pm »
I don't think it's the first if april again, but apparently tim tebow worked out as a TE for the jags.

Probably just Urban Meyer doing him a favor.
King Kenny.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #60798 on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:54 pm »
@Schefter:
Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

More on NFL Live now....

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #60799 on: April 29, 2021, 08:46:08 pm »
it's all going off. quite amusing.