Author Topic: FACSF: Liverpool 3 vs 2 Man City Konate 9’ Mane 17’ 45’ Grealish 47’ Silva 90+1’  (Read 30730 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY

FA CUP - SEMI FINAL

16TH APRIL, 2022

WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON

I’m still reeling and to a large extent recovering from the league clash last Sunday at the Etihad.
All the build-up and hype, all the anxiety in the lead up and during the match left me drained and exhausted.
The first half performance on the night obviously didn’t help and in the end I think most of our fan base were relieved that we picked up a point and kept ourselves within striking distance in the title race, should Manchester City slip up.

Both teams then played fairly contrasting Champions League Quarter-Final second legs.
Klopp made plenty of changes to his starting XI and used the squad at his disposal to the fullest after the Reds had earned the privilege by winning 1-3 in Portugal last week.

City on the other had ‘endured’ arguably one of the toughest tests in European football, away to Atletico Madrid in a Champions League knock out tie. But fair play to them. They hung in there and even with a bloody nose they scraped through.
Atletico did what they do best. From snide fouls to full on assault. From head butts to hand bags, Simeone’s men certainly took a bite out of City, even if they couldn’t find the all-important equalizer and progress.

We all would have loved extra time and penalties, but hopefully the other team from Madrid can finish the job off in early May and kill their dream of a first Champions League title.   

WE GO AGAIN!

Focus now shifts to the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday.

It’s unchartered territory for this team as they have never played in an FA Cup semi-final. Our opponents on Saturday on the other hand won the FA Cup as recently as the 2018-19 season.

Over the last decade or so, there’s been a narrative that the domestic cups are no longer important to the big clubs and their value has declined in recent years. I personally think it’s a lot of bollox. Wining the league cup last month gave me a lot of joy as a Liverpool fan and winning another FA Cup title will be equally sweet.

MY FIRST EVER MATCH

In fact, I have always loved the FA Cup for the history and tradition.

1988 was a special year in my life. It was the year, I moved to London, England from Delhi, India as an 8 years old thanks to my old man getting transferred to his company’s London office for a 3 year posting.

Growing up in Delhi, I was a regular Indian kid, hooked onto cricket. Football or any other sport wasn’t really on my radar. I played cricket most evenings in the local park with my friends and watched it on TV whenever it was on.

But the move to London in the first week of March, 1988 changed all that in a matter of weeks. I now had access to 24-hour television, which wouldn’t be available back home in India for another 4 years.

I would say I truly discovered sports and ‘my love’ for sports after moving to England. The first ever football match that I saw live on TV was an FA Cup encounter between Manchester City and Liverpool on the 13th of March, 1988 at Maine Road. The match was live on ITV on a show called ‘The Big Match’.

I had never seen a football match on TV before this. And what a first match to watch.
As an 8-year-old, it definitely left an impression. When the match started, I didn’t know anything about the teams, I didn’t know anything about the FA Cup, but by the end of the 90 minutes, I knew the team in Red was a good team. (Liverpool had thrashed Man City 0-4 at Maine Road)

I remember our landlord talking to me later that evening and telling me how Liverpool (or the team in Red as I described them) was the dominant team in the country at the time. He told me he was a fan and if I wanted to follow Football, then I should follow it through Liverpool.
It’s fair to say I didn’t need too much convincing. I followed Liverpool for the rest of the season from a distance in London, but with an interest that over the years became a full blown obsession and continues to this day in my early forties. It was hard not to fall in Love with Liverpool.

When I now look back at all the different Liverpool teams that I have seen, the 1987-88 team is still arguably one of the finest assembled in our history. The league title was a procession and had it not been for one of the biggest shocks in FA Cup final history, we would have won our 2nd League and Cup double.

Despite, that loss to Wimbledon, the vintage of 87-88 won 32 games, kept 27 clean sheets and scored a whopping 99 goals. There are similarities to the current team, especially when it comes to the dominance on the pitch and the fear we instill in the opposition.

DOMINANT AND FEARSOME (THE MENTALITY MONSTERS ARE BACK)

Since the start of 2022, Liverpool have been the team to beat. The 1-0 loss to Inter Milan in the second leg of the Champions League round of 16, has been the only loss of the calendar year so far. It’s this form that has all of us dreaming of an unlikely quadruple. As a fan base, we have always wanted our managers and our teams to ‘Make Us Dream’ and the current lot, under Klopp are doing just that. What a time to be a Red!

This will be Jurgen’s first FA Cup semi-final with us. He’s never led us this far in the top domestic cup competition.

SEASON       FA CUP ROUND       OPPONENTS

2015-16            4TH ROUND           WEST HAM UTD
2016-17            4TH ROUND           WOLVES
2017-18            4TH ROUND           WEST BROM
2018-19            3RD ROUND           WOLVES
2019-20            5TH ROUND           CHELSEA
2020-21            4TH ROUND           MAN UTD

There has been some talk about Klopp not prioritizing the domestic cups in the past, but I personally don’t think that’s been the case. I just don’t think we had a competitive enough squad, especially in Klopp’s early seasons where we could rotate to give first team players a bit of a rest and still come out on top against what almost always was a premier league opponent.
We had a strong first XI, but the rotation options weren’t always up to the mark.
It also didn’t help that teams with their name beginning with 'W' seemed to have the wood over us. West Ham, Wolves (twice) and West Brom knocked us out of the FA Cup in Klopp’s first 4 seasons. The following two seasons we got blockbuster ties against Chelsea and Manchester United.

Our squad now is second to none. Some would say, we currently have the best squad in the league and have superb replacements all over the park, barring a couple of positions. This has allowed us to rotate heavily in the domestic cups early on and still maintain the quality of our performances. 

After winning the League Cup, I think all the talk about the Quadruple has galvanized the squad rather than put pressure on them. Everyone knows this squad is full of mentality monsters and after having tasted success over the last few seasons, they are hungry for more. They know a double or a treble this season will cement this team and this squad’s legacy. But win the mythical quadruple and they will go down as not just the best team in Liverpool’s history, but the best team in England’s history.
There are a lot of miles to cover before we can go down that road of course, so let’s not get carried away.

I’m actually glad that we got Manchester City in the semi-final. It keeps everything on edge and bubbling nicely for the title run-in. It also means that neither us nor City get an undue advantage in the title run-in.

HEAD TO HEAD RECORD

LIVERPOOL WINS   DRAWS   MAN CITY WINS
          3                       2                      2

Our FA Cup record against The Citizens isn’t all that bad. They have always needed a replay to beat us in the FA Cup, with their last win against us coming way back in 1973.

Since then, Liverpool have never lost to City in three subsequent meetings. We hammered them by 4 goals at Maine Road in 1988. Nearly two decades later, we thrashed them 4-2 at Anfield en route to the Cup Treble of 2001. The last time the two sides met in the FA Cup was back in 2003, when Liverpool won 0-1 away from home. Danny Murphy scored the decisive goal from the spot a minute into the second half. That game was also the last FA Cup match that City played at Maine Road.

This season both sides have had a fairly comfortable route to the last 4.

LIVERPOOL’S ROAD TO THE SEMI-FINAL

3rd Round      Liverpool   4-1   Shrewsbury Town
4th Round      Liverpool   3-1   Cardiff City
5th Round      Liverpool   2-1   Norwich City
6th Round      Forest       0-1   Liverpool

MANCHESTER CITY’S ROAD TO THE SEMI-FINAL

3rd Round       Swindon Town   1-4   Man City
4th Round       Man City           4-1   Fulham
5th Round       Peterborough    0-2   Man City
6th Round       Southampton    1-4   Man City

Both teams have faced only one Premier League team in the competition so far.
Liverpool beat Norwich in the 5th round, while City dispatched Southampton in the Quarter Final.
City have mostly played away from home, while Liverpool have played 3 of their 4 games at Anfield.
We have scored 10 goals in the FA Cup, while City have managed a total of 14 goals, with 4-1 being their favourite score line.
Both teams have only managed to keep 1 clean sheet in their 4 matches.

INJURY CONCERNS

Liverpool have pretty much a fully available squad to choose from (touchwood) at the moment and Klopp confirmed this when speaking to reporters at Anfield after reaching the last four of the Champions League.

“Diogo got a knock in the first half, I don’t know about Mo. Nobody told me yet. The two physios, nobody said to me Mo has a problem. At the moment, everybody should be fine."

As for City, Pep seemed to suggest doom and gloom on the injury front after the game in Madrid.

"We are in big trouble, we played three days ago, now have a lot of injuries, I don't know what will happen in the next weeks.”

No one will be surprised if and when KDB and Walker are in the squad on Saturday.
Given the amount of football both teams have played and the schedule to come, I think it’s going to be difficult to predict the starting XI’s of both teams.

IN CONCLUSION

I’m desperate for us to win the FA Cup this season. Not because it will take us one step closer to the quadruple, but because, it will complete the full set of domestic honours for Klopp and his mentality monsters.
I’m going to predict a free flowing, edge of the seat, 2-1 victory for the mighty Redmen, with Luis Diaz and Mo getting on the scoresheet and the quadruple dream well and truly on track.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:20:09 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FACSF: Liverpool vs Man City
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 02:19:18 pm »

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 02:35:50 pm »

W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 03:26:05 pm »
I was ok until YNWA started….
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 03:27:29 pm »
I am more nervous today than I was the other week.  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 03:31:17 pm »
0 underway at a sun bathed Wembley
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 03:34:42 pm »
3 big diagonal by City, a cut back to the edge of the area and they’re in miles of space.

A defender blocks the shot by Grealish though
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 03:36:30 pm »
6 attack by the reds after city give it away. They just about tidy up.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 03:38:44 pm »
7 Keita pinches the ball off them at the back, good pressing but he can’t make use of it.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 03:39:49 pm »
9 corner to the reds.

1-0 Konate again!
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Re: FACSF: Liverpool 1 vs 0 Man City Konate 9’
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:05 pm »
Three headed goals in ten days
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:14 pm »
Ibou on fire right now!
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:24 pm »
Konate lovea a headed goal doesn't he.

:wellin

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:59 pm »
11 city corner, doesn’t beat Keita
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 03:42:30 pm »
It was a fantastic header by the big man.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 03:45:58 pm »
Over to Jill
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 03:47:11 pm »
Not sure why we suddenly started passing back to each other in the last 5m

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 03:47:30 pm »
15 We have made a superb start, this time City seem to be the ones struggling to properly get going. Thiago has already shown his great standard with his passing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2022, 03:47:44 pm »
:lmao

Fucking hell
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 03:47:48 pm »
 ;D
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 03:48:00 pm »
Omg Omg Omg Omg

2-0

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 03:48:32 pm »
16 Wow, what an awful mistake by the City goalie, took too long and Mane makes no mistake. 2-0.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: FACSF: Liverpool 2 vs 0 Man City Konate 9’ Mane 17’
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 03:49:16 pm »
Has Ederson just been rested today or does he have a knock? I've only just realised he's not there today.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 03:49:20 pm »
I can’t believe that was allowed… it wasn’t a foul, but … you just don’t expect the ref to allow it do you?
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 03:50:55 pm »
19 Now we are trying to be too optimistic. A handful of a ball from Trent to Alisson, who at least manages to hit the ball out.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 03:51:18 pm »
I can’t believe that was allowed… it wasn’t a foul, but … you just don’t expect the ref to allow it do you?
know what you mean - kept waiting for a flag or VAR or something....

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 03:51:21 pm »
Has Ederson just been rested today or does he have a knock? I've only just realised he's not there today.

Just rested. Steffen has played all the FA Cup games when he has been fit.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 03:51:52 pm »
We haven’t played well so far.  Hardly had any control of the ball.  Need to try to keep it tight until half time and get a foothold in the game (despite the score!)
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:17 pm »
21 We have dominated so far, City have really had no answers at the moment, they seem very surprised and out of ideas.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:26 pm »
We haven’t played well so far.  Hardly had any control of the ball.  Need to try to keep it tight until half time and get a foothold in the game (despite the score!)
Alisson has made a three or four weird decision already - seems out of sorts

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:53 pm »
Just rested. Steffen has played all the FA Cup games when he has been fit.

Fair enough.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2022, 03:54:41 pm »
How the hell does Fernandinho get away with these tackles? It's unbelievable! 😡

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2022, 03:55:01 pm »
23 We get a free kick, with Robbo and Trent over the ball. Robbo puts it in but City manage to clear the ball.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2022, 03:55:23 pm »
Not quite a yellow.. I suspect this next is though
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2022, 03:56:31 pm »
24 Thiago there! He's in reduced space with Sterling and Grealish surrounding him, but still manages to control the ball and pass it out. Wonderfully done.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2022, 03:58:13 pm »
26 At long last, a City yellow as Jesus brings Diaz down.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2022, 03:59:39 pm »
28 The game is a bit messy at the moment, neither side managing to really control the action and also a lot of free kicks being conceded.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2022, 03:59:41 pm »
Bloody hell.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2022, 04:00:46 pm »
29 A bit concerning Ali's play at the moment, another mistake there were the ball he kicks away catches a City boot, it luckily goes out though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2022, 04:01:24 pm »
30 Over to Sir Bob.