Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2905217 times)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #29000 on: April 8, 2024, 02:54:24 pm »
This discussion is all very odd.

It is - especially as he’s far from the reason we didn’t win the game. And scored a penalty.

Doesn’t take much for some to come crawling out of the woodwork with sheer bollocks though.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #29001 on: April 8, 2024, 03:01:01 pm »
There are diets out there that advocate it is better for you to fast for 'long' periods.  Normally 'overnight' and basically skipping breakfast, having last meal of the day early. Or skipping entire days.  I'm not sure they are aimed at elite athletes, but I think it would be as foolish to say ,religious fasting will affect his performance as to say it won't. I would think though, that the huge amounts of money the club spends on nutrionilists and sports/body experts, they would minimise the impact to the point that we'd not see it.  I think his drop off after the last Afcon was far more noticeable that other Ramadans.  Maybe the way he plays \ trains (like a monster) just leads to a lull at this time of year?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29002 on: April 8, 2024, 03:11:47 pm »
He's out of form, it happens to all players and just gets highlighted more when it's an elite player like Mo.

It's so unusual for him to be injured, he missed playing for Egypt and the  Klopp news, heads probably all over the place.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29003 on: April 8, 2024, 03:15:53 pm »
Unironically the only bit of worthwhile discussion over the last 3 pages.

I'd happily go back to shaved Mo, feels quicker.

wait...are we talking about the same thing??

:-X :-X

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29004 on: April 8, 2024, 04:03:33 pm »
There are diets out there that advocate it is better for you to fast for 'long' periods.  Normally 'overnight' and basically skipping breakfast, having last meal of the day early. Or skipping entire days.  I'm not sure they are aimed at elite athletes, but I think it would be as foolish to say ,religious fasting will affect his performance as to say it won't. I would think though, that the huge amounts of money the club spends on nutrionilists and sports/body experts, they would minimise the impact to the point that we'd not see it.  I think his drop off after the last Afcon was far more noticeable that other Ramadans.  Maybe the way he plays \ trains (like a monster) just leads to a lull at this time of year?

Most intermittent fasting diets will recommend being well hydrated. Ramadan bars fluids.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29005 on: April 8, 2024, 04:42:37 pm »
Salah sells enough shirts and is brilliantly professional enough the rest of the season to offset the AFCON/Ramadan issues. With a player like Konaté who's already unreliable, missing the biggest game of our season because of Ramadan changes the equation a fair bit.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29007 on: April 8, 2024, 04:49:25 pm »
This discussion is all very odd.
Agreed. Close it to save further embarrassment of some.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29008 on: April 8, 2024, 04:59:09 pm »
Shame on Salah for observing his religion on this one occasion having obviously ignored it the previous six years here. That must be the only reason he's been great at this time in previous seasons but struggling a bit now. I refuse to accept it's anything to do with him recovering from injury and regaining his fitness. Also, would be nice if he stops scoring soon as well so we don't have to see that celebration.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #29009 on: April 8, 2024, 05:03:02 pm »
Most intermittent fasting diets will recommend being well hydrated. Ramadan bars fluids.
Expert on fasting, you lad.

Salah should come to you for advice and tips.  :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29010 on: April 8, 2024, 06:30:08 pm »
Expert on fasting, you lad.

Salah should come to you for advice and tips.  :)

Aye, cos intermittent fasting is some great mystery and not one of the most talked about things in nutrition and health in the past ten years.

Shame on Salah for observing his religion on this one occasion having obviously ignored it the previous six years here. That must be the only reason he's been great at this time in previous seasons but struggling a bit now. I refuse to accept it's anything to do with him recovering from injury and regaining his fitness. Also, would be nice if he stops scoring soon as well so we don't have to see that celebration.

Bit of a strawman, there. Most have said he’s totally right to follow his religious observances. It’s also being said that Ramadan coupled with his age and return from injury is the problem, as it has been shown to affect player performance.

I don’t get why this is seen as an attack on Mo. From my perspective, at least, it’s a defence of him against those who’ve been advocating letting him go or saying he’s declining. Without mo, we’re not in a title race this year. 

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #29011 on: April 8, 2024, 06:45:07 pm »
Salah sells enough shirts and is brilliantly professional enough the rest of the season to offset the AFCON/Ramadan issues. With a player like Konaté who's already unreliable, missing the biggest game of our season because of Ramadan changes the equation a fair bit.
Their value to us has nothing to do with them being able to live by their beliefs.

What century are we living in? I thought respecting others beliefs in terms of religion/sexuality etc is a minimum requirement in a civilised society
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #29012 on: April 8, 2024, 06:50:55 pm »
If he scores during Ramadan does it count?  I know pace goals don't but what about fast goals?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29013 on: April 8, 2024, 06:55:26 pm »
Ramadan happens every year and we've had Salah for years. Can't remember this discussion in previous years?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29014 on: April 8, 2024, 07:37:24 pm »
Bit of a strawman, there. Most have said he’s totally right to follow his religious observances. It’s also being said that Ramadan coupled with his age and return from injury is the problem, as it has been shown to affect player performance.

I don’t get why this is seen as an attack on Mo. From my perspective, at least, it’s a defence of him against those who’ve been advocating letting him go or saying he’s declining. Without mo, we’re not in a title race this year. 

Not necessarily aimed at you right now but there seems to be people questioning why he’s choosing to (or allowed) to fast whilst playing. Funny this has come up now when he’s probably been fasting since he was a teenager and hasn’t affected his performance on the pitch.
One patchy period and now all of a sudden the opinion is he probably shouldn’t be fasting. And these opinions are most likely from people who don’t share the same beliefs as him nor have observed a fast for anything beyond fitness reasons.
No one on here has asked for the opinions of those on here who do observe Ramadan and what we think? Not sure people know this but we don’t tend to walk around making Ramadan an excuse if we’re physically or mentally tired. It’s a dedication to our faith and simultaneously a remembrance to those who aren’t as fortunate as us when it comes to food and water. We don’t just simply ‘not fast’ or ‘make it up later’ because it’s inconvenient to us right now.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #29015 on: April 8, 2024, 08:00:14 pm »
If he scores during Ramadan does it count?  I know pace goals don't but what about fast goals?

Brilliant.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #29016 on: April 8, 2024, 10:03:21 pm »
All comps....23 goals and 12 assists this season in 35 appearances.

Mo's worst goal scoring season for us was 2019/20 when he only scored 19 in the League and 4 in Europe for 23 total in 48 appearance along with 13 assists.

Mo will better that this season and he's lost some pace.

Can we replace his levels of goals and assists next season if we sell him?

I think he's got a couple years left.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29017 on: April 8, 2024, 11:09:32 pm »
Not necessarily aimed at you right now but there seems to be people questioning why he’s choosing to (or allowed) to fast whilst playing. Funny this has come up now when he’s probably been fasting since he was a teenager and hasn’t affected his performance on the pitch.
One patchy period and now all of a sudden the opinion is he probably shouldn’t be fasting. And these opinions are most likely from people who don’t share the same beliefs as him nor have observed a fast for anything beyond fitness reasons.
No one on here has asked for the opinions of those on here who do observe Ramadan and what we think? Not sure people know this but we don’t tend to walk around making Ramadan an excuse if we’re physically or mentally tired. It’s a dedication to our faith and simultaneously a remembrance to those who aren’t as fortunate as us when it comes to food and water. We don’t just simply ‘not fast’ or ‘make it up later’ because it’s inconvenient to us right now.

I only know one person who observes Ramadan and they find it tough but spiritually enlightening, and like yourself he never complains about it. He’s not even the most devout Muslim either, and is really socially liberal, but he likes the Ramadan tradition.

I think Mo is absolutely right to do it if that’s what he chooses to do. Even if it badly affected his game. Rather than criticise his choice to observe, I only suggested it may be a factor now as he’s returning from injury (and older). Diet and sleep are so important when you’re repairing your body. The study I posted earlier is absolutely fascinating. Other studies I’ve read have shown Muslim athletes to show a drop in performance but a belief that they had no drop - that probably points to the spiritual awareness you allude to.

I do intermittently fast (as in 20-24 hours) 2-3 times every week and have done for about a decade (for fitness, as you say), so I’m aware of how it feels to an extent. I definitely find exercise tougher on those days even with hydration, but obviously I’m not an elite athlete so that’s not comparable to Mo. I feel mentally sharper even if physically less so. I guess that’s a secular version of the benefits people find in Ramadan.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #29018 on: April 9, 2024, 12:25:05 am »
Ramadan happens every year and we've had Salah for years. Can't remember this discussion in previous years?

Because he used to score Salah goals. The debate is whether he still scores Salah goals.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #29019 on: April 9, 2024, 02:59:37 am »
He was younger.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #29020 on: April 9, 2024, 11:14:10 am »
All comps....23 goals and 12 assists this season in 35 appearances.

Mo's worst goal scoring season for us was 2019/20 when he only scored 19 in the League and 4 in Europe for 23 total in 48 appearance along with 13 assists.

Mo will better that this season and he's lost some pace.

Can we replace his levels of goals and assists next season if we sell him?

I think he's got a couple years left.

Can we have those stats with pens stripped out?

We can easily replace Mo’s penalty output.

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #29021 on: April 9, 2024, 11:58:43 am »
Was he always first choice penalty taker or was it Milner at one stage. My memory is shite ::)

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #29022 on: April 9, 2024, 12:02:12 pm »
Can we have those stats with pens stripped out?

We can easily replace Mo’s penalty output.

Six this season, three that season.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #29023 on: April 9, 2024, 12:31:15 pm »
Was he always first choice penalty taker or was it Milner at one stage. My memory is shite ::)

Milner for a few years.

I don’t think there were any pens in that huge first season total.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29024 on: April 9, 2024, 12:34:20 pm »
Gets stick when he misses pens so he deserves credit when he scores them

Massive pen and well taken

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #29025 on: April 9, 2024, 12:48:36 pm »
Milner for a few years.

I don’t think there were any pens in that huge first season total.

Cheers.  Mental season that

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29026 on: April 10, 2024, 10:02:37 pm »
Let's imagine Salah leaves next summer and we must replace him with a new signing. Who could it realistically be?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29027 on: April 10, 2024, 10:16:21 pm »
Let's imagine Salah leaves next summer and we must replace him with a new signing. Who could it realistically be?
There's a transfer thread for that mate  :wave

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29028 on: April 14, 2024, 03:59:33 pm »
When will we have a discussion about how awful he is in open play?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29029 on: April 14, 2024, 04:00:11 pm »
Been terrible for weeks.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #29030 on: April 14, 2024, 04:00:14 pm »
How the fuck did he stay on for 90 mins :lmao

Does absolutely nothing nowadays

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #29031 on: April 14, 2024, 04:00:46 pm »
In no way shape or form should have been on for the entire match. Anonymous.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29032 on: April 14, 2024, 04:01:03 pm »
He does not have elite pace any more. If he stays next season, put him up top.

Offline Le Westalero

• Main Stander
  • You can count on Jürgen Norbert Klopp
« Reply #29033 on: April 14, 2024, 04:01:29 pm »
Absolutely neutral view:

Yes, he scored a lot of goals and provided a lot of assists.

Also yes, when it really really mattered he did let us down more than once.

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
« Reply #29034 on: April 14, 2024, 04:01:57 pm »
Let him leave if he wants it, we need to reinvest in the squad as FSG ain’t going to f’ing dig deep into their pockets.

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29035 on: April 14, 2024, 04:03:00 pm »

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #29036 on: April 14, 2024, 04:03:17 pm »
Legend but time to move on,  time to reboot the attack. Would take £70m from saudis

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29037 on: April 14, 2024, 04:03:57 pm »
I want him in the box, not hugging the fucking touchline.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29038 on: April 14, 2024, 04:04:02 pm »
He was on fire before Afcon, just our luck.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #29039 on: April 14, 2024, 04:04:03 pm »
He's lost more than a yard of his pace. So easy to defend against today. A couple years back, he bags a brace in a game like this.