Author Topic: Liverpool Extend Standard Chartered Deal  (Read 10436 times)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Extend Standard Chartered Deal
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:34 pm »
We've spent big, just in January we spent £75m and last summer shilled out £60m for Naby Keita.
not the sorr of thread for this but they have spent big but that has been offset by selling our best played numerous times for big money as well.

Now in terms of this deal, fantastic news. Just wish the club (most clubs actually ) would start throwing some crumbs back to the fans.clubs are making shit loads of money, players, agents, tv companies etc

Yet the fans keep having to pay a fortune and the best we get is a price fucking freeze. Shameful really and I really hoped our club would be the one to maybe be the ones to start something, considering they keep on going on about us being a "family"

Really do wish there was a premier league wide protest over it
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:59 pm »
But Chelsea have been much more succesful in recent years. You can't expect us to attract the same amounts of money as Chelsea, City, Utd.
I think we are doing really well for that matter.
You missed the point of my post. I was responding to others that have decided we're getting more than Chelsea simply because. I was trying to point out that it's not a given that we will and wouldn't be a surprise if indeed our deal is only on a par with theirs.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 09:46:54 pm »
You missed the point of my post. I was responding to others that have decided we're getting more than Chelsea simply because. I was trying to point out that it's not a given that we will and wouldn't be a surprise if indeed our deal is only on a par with theirs.
Financially, their figures are nigh on identical to ours...

We will be above them next year due to our CL run and probably the year after too....

But we’re generally neck and neck...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »
We've alternated between Asia and the US over a number of years.  ;D

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 10:10:09 pm »
Financially, their figures are nigh on identical to ours...

We will be above them next year due to our CL run and probably the year after too....

But we’re generally neck and neck...
Cheslea had been a fair way ahead of us in recent years, it was only last season that we closed the gap iinm. As for this season's accounts - our CL run is worth arournd £20m more than theirs (they got a bigger slice of the market pool because they qualified as champions) but then you have to remember that they also started their new bumper Nike deal. I'd imagine that they'll have a higher revenue than us this season. Next season, due to them dropping out the CL, we'll move ahead of them for the first time in a fair few years.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »
Pleased with this, we have been doing good business these past few years reducing the gap on other top clubs in England.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:06 pm »
Cheslea had been a fair way ahead of us in recent years, it was only last season that we closed the gap iinm. As for this season's accounts - our CL run is worth arournd £20m more than theirs (they got a bigger slice of the market pool because they qualified as champions) but then you have to remember that they also started their new bumper Nike deal. I'd imagine that they'll have a higher revenue than us this season. Next season, due to them dropping out the CL, we'll move ahead of them for the first time in a fair few years.
It's been said many times on Rawk,Chelsea with all the success the last 10-15 years still cannot move themselves past us and we have won probably 10% of what they in the same time frame.,they have practically hit their ceiling and we are no where near ours for a club of our reach,size and history.

Another glaring point is Chelsea are about 4-5 years away from a new stadium and our match day revenues exceeds theirs right now,by then we will already be past the 60k mark with the Annie road end expansion.

Kudos to FSG,they are on the start of maximising the club's standing and potential off the pitch which should have started in the 1990's when United were doing it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:08:57 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 11:09:57 pm »
The footprint of Standard Chartered is in Asia excluding Japan. Their presence in Western economies are pretty low.

If we can keep up to the live matches beamed to Asia thats where Standard Chartered is most interested. I sense an Asian tour coming soon.
its pretty much USA one year Asia the next so 2019 will be the next one

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 11:19:34 pm »
It's been said many times on Rawk,Chelsea with all the success the last 10-15 years still cannot move themselves past us and we have won probably 10% of what they in the same time frame.,they have practically hit their ceiling and we are no where near ours for a club of our reach,size and history.

Another glaring point is Chelsea are about 4-5 years away from a new stadium,by then we will already be past the 60k mark with the Annie road end expansion.

Kudos to FSG,they are on the start of maximising the club's standing and potential off the pitch which should have started in the 1990's when United were doing it.
I'm not bigging up Chelsea but your post is fundamentally wrong. In years gone by we've been able to stay close to them financially (they've still turned over more) despite not having a significantly bigger ground or CL football due to our history and the size of the club attracting larger commercial deals but Chelsea's sustained success has bridged that gap - as of last season their commercial revenue was £1m more than ours and that's before their new Nike deal kicks in. As I said before, look at their most recent like for like deals, both their sleeve deal and training deal ae more than ours. We need to build on the last 2 years to reaffirm our position above them both in the league and in terms of finances.

If we can further extend Anfield and have some sustained success on the pitch then more and bigger commercial deals will follow.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 11:53:40 pm »
I'm not bigging up Chelsea but your post is fundamentally wrong. In years gone by we've been able to stay close to them financially (they've still turned over more) despite not having a significantly bigger ground or CL football due to our history and the size of the club attracting larger commercial deals but Chelsea's sustained success has bridged that gap - as of last season their commercial revenue was £1m more than ours and that's before their new Nike deal kicks in. As I said before, look at their most recent like for like deals, both their sleeve deal and training deal ae more than ours. We need to build on the last 2 years to reaffirm our position above them both in the league and in terms of finances.

If we can further extend Anfield and have some sustained success on the pitch then more and bigger commercial deals will follow.
Yep bridge the gap when they have won everything the last 15 years and we have won what 3 trophies?

If we had  and inkling of success we would get so far away from them.

Like i said they hit the ceiling,and we haven't.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 11:59:53 pm »
Yep bridge the gap when they have won everything the last 15 years and we have won what 3 trophies?

If we had  and inkling of success we would get so far away from them.

Like i said they hit the ceiling,and we haven't.
I'm not disputing they've closed the gap due to success compared to us but they clearly haven't hit a ceiling. They're signing bigger and bigger deals and if you discount City's questionable deals, they're only 2nd to Utd on the commercial front right now.

Of course we should be able to earn considerably more than them if we can start producing more consistently on the pitch. My only point has been in response to those that have suggested our new SC deal must be more than what Chelsea are getting - there's nothing to support that than blind optimism.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2018, 07:51:27 am »
Where are you getting Chelsea's individual deal numbers from?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:31 am »
You work for SC? A company I contracted for had some contractors in at SC. Was gutted when a bunch of these guys sent me pictures with Rush and Dalglish.

Sure do, theres a pic of me and Rush on my insta at the SCB Marathon in Jersey last yr, honestly was amazing, he's proper sound.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2018, 09:26:09 am »
It's deffo higher than £40M.

I am still hoping one day this deal will let me meet Jurgen, already met God and Rushie so I am pretty happy anyways!
I suspect it’s base level is £40m but in reality (with CL progress etc) it will be greater ... which makes sense
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline devlin_adl

• Main Stander
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2018, 11:15:47 am »
This doesn't say when the current New Balance deal ends, but states it is at £25m/year:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-25/liverpool-gives-new-balance-chance-to-score-as-200-million-watch

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39:39 am »
Where are you getting Chelsea's individual deal numbers from?

Individual numbers from Swiss Ramble's analysis of our accounts but total commercial revenue is publicly available:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/973117834015526912

This doesn't say when the current New Balance deal ends, but states it is at £25m/year:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-25/liverpool-gives-new-balance-chance-to-score-as-200-million-watch
I said before, it seems the club have kept details of deals in the last few years close to their chest. Nobody knows what the score is re NB - was it a new, improved deal when they took over from Warrior or have they simply taken over Warrior's previous agreement which is due to end next season? The only briefing coming out from the club when NB took over was it was the biggest deal in the clubs history which would suggest the terms of the deal changed, in which case maybe the deal doesn't end next summer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:42:03 am by BaZ87 »

Offline devlin_adl

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:43 am »
I think it is clear that Bloomberg are getting their information from New Balance rather than the club, but the article is still light on details.

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 11:59:56 am »
I think it is clear that Bloomberg are getting their information from New Balance rather than the club, but the article is still light on details.
The bloomberg report seems to be suggesting that the original Warrior deal was simply switched to NB, which is at odds with the briefings the club gave the press in 2015, which suggested a new, bigger deal was agreed.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »
The bloomberg report seems to be suggesting that the original Warrior deal was simply switched to NB, which is at odds with the briefings the club gave the press in 2015, which suggested a new, bigger deal was agreed.

I'm not sure that latter part is true. This was a report from James "Liverpool's Main Mouth Piece Pearce and he says:

The Boston-based sports giant will take over the deal with Warrior from the 2015-16 season and will manufacture Liverpool’s playing and training kits.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-balance-announce-record-breaking-liverpool-8583401

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:23 pm »
I'm not sure that latter part is true. This was a report from James "Liverpool's Main Mouth Piece Pearce and he says:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-balance-announce-record-breaking-liverpool-8583401

From the official site:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/179474-lfc-announce-record-new-balance-kit-deal

"The multi-year partnership has become the biggest kit supplier deal in the club's history...."

Surely that suggests that the terms of the deal are different to the previous Warrior deal?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 12:21:17 pm »
From the official site:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/179474-lfc-announce-record-new-balance-kit-deal

"The multi-year partnership has become the biggest kit supplier deal in the club's history...."

Surely that suggests that the terms of the deal are different to the previous Warrior deal?

Well it was definitely extended as it was a 6 year deal starting in 12/13, so the last year should have been this season just gone. I seem to remember reading it now included bonus clauses, so maybe that is how it's the biggest? Or maybe the way they calculate it (with the extra income from having our own stores) was valued at more now than it was 3 years earlier when they announced the Warrior deal.

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »
Well it was definitely extended as it was a 6 year deal starting in 12/13, so the last year should have been this season just gone. I seem to remember reading it now included bonus clauses, so maybe that is how it's the biggest? Or maybe the way they calculate it (with the extra income from having our own stores) was valued at more now than it was 3 years earlier when they announced the Warrior deal.

No idea. As I've been saying, the club have kept details close to their chest for a while now. When we signed the original SC and Warrior deals the club were briefing everything but there's been little from them on either SC renewal or the NB deal. If the NB deal is indeed up next summer then I'm sure we'll start hearing things on that soon.

I asked Nick Harris (SportingIntel) about the new SC deal on twitter and his response was "£160m over 4 years I think", which suggested to me he's just gone off the CityAM story. Hopefully bloomberg or the FT write something on it but I guess in isolation it's not a big story - maybe they'll do something similar to the piece devlin quoted though.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 01:31:54 pm »

I can't seem to find any concrete info but apparently Chelsea have a bigger global fanbase than us which I was pretty surprised about. I think most fans in the UK still think of them as new money.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:47 pm »
I can't seem to find any concrete info but apparently Chelsea have a bigger global fanbase than us which I was pretty surprised about. I think most fans in the UK still think of them as new money.

They have more of a social media following, I'm fairly sure when it comes to an active/actual global fanbase then they certainly do not.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 01:36:33 pm »
Maybe we should've waited and made a decision after we won the CL

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 01:37:45 pm »
Maybe we should've waited and made a decision after we won the CL

to be honest winning it will make little difference. We've got to the final and will get the exposure for any sponsor. The progression on the pitch is evident for any sponsor to see regardless of winning it or not.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:57 pm »
They have more of a social media following, I'm fairly sure when it comes to an active/actual global fanbase then they certainly do not.

What does this mean and how is it measured though, aside from shirt sales?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
to be honest winning it will make little difference. We've got to the final and will get the exposure for any sponsor. The progression on the pitch is evident for any sponsor to see regardless of winning it or not.

Sponsors want to be associated with winners though Craig. Sure getting to finals is nice and sponsors get exposure but winning takes it to another level.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 01:50:46 pm »
Sponsors want to be associated with winners though Craig. Sure getting to finals is nice and sponsors get exposure but winning takes it to another level.

I think we'll win a few trophies over the coming seasons, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 01:52:57 pm »
I think we'll win a few trophies over the coming seasons, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You probably have LFC down for winning the World Cup and Wimbledon though
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:54:51 pm by Dench57 »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2018, 01:54:16 pm »
What does this mean and how is it measured though, aside from shirt sales?

Ticket sales on tours. Engagement in local events.

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2018, 02:21:17 pm »
Ticket sales on tours. Engagement in local events.
Chelsea have been fairly clever in recent years to help boost their following. Iirc they played a friendly in Malaysia where they gave away all the tickets free of charge.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2018, 02:25:24 pm »

Just not enough to fill stadiums on pre season tours.

I wonder how many of those were bought.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2018, 02:33:04 pm »

Maybe I'm just being partisan but I've long been of the opinion that this global Chelsea "fans" will likely switch to Man City soon enough - or us.  Broad but shallow.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »
Maybe I'm just being partisan but I've long been of the opinion that this global Chelsea "fans" will likely switch to Man City soon enough - or us.  Broad but shallow.

No doubt. But on the original point about sponsors - while 'social media presence' might sound pretty flimsy to us and isn't representative of 'true' fans, I'd imagine tens of millions more likes/follows/video views matters more to a sponsor than tens of thousands of extra stadium tickets sold in Australia or Thailand. The global exposure and brand awareness commercial partners can generate through social media and the internet surely dwarfs anything achieved through local events or tour matches.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:48:40 pm by Dench57 »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »
On the front of a Hong Kong newspaper this morning.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2018, 03:24:59 pm »
On the front of a Hong Kong newspaper this morning.

Yep 1 year current terms

4 years new terms.

Can't remember who said it but the deal doesn't come into the 19/20 season.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2018, 03:35:58 pm »
Yep 1 year current terms

4 years new terms.

Can't remember who said it but the deal doesn't come into the 19/20 season.

That was me. Must have read it wrong on my phone but yeah seems an additional 4 years. Wonder if we've done a deal so early because they've upped the last year of the current deal somewhat?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:00 pm »
No doubt. But on the original point about sponsors - while 'social media presence' might sound pretty flimsy to us and isn't representative of 'true' fans, I'd imagine tens of millions more likes/follows/video views matters more to a sponsor than tens of thousands of extra stadium tickets sold in Australia or Thailand. The global exposure and brand awareness commercial partners can generate through social media and the internet surely dwarfs anything achieved through local events or tour matches.

Oh I agree.  But if we start winning the big pots and Chelsea are losing out we will hoover up those social media fans, which will make us an even bigger draw for the sponsors.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BaZ87

• Anny Roader
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:03 pm »
That was me. Must have read it wrong on my phone but yeah seems an additional 4 years. Wonder if we've done a deal so early because they've upped the last year of the current deal somewhat?
It's not really that early though. You'd imagine SC had a period of exclusivity to negotiate an extension before the club could start talking to other parties, which the club would have needed several months to do if it reached that point.

On the point some people have been making re waiting for the outcome of the final etc - you'd imagine both the club and SC realise that 1 game isn't going to be pivotal to a 4 year deal. You have to remember that SC signed up right on the back of us finishing 2nd in the PL and regularly challenging in the latter stages of the CL, then our performances fell off a cliff. Both parties will know the potential risks and rewards on offer and will have been factored into SC's offer and our decision to accept it.