Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 127260 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #720 on: November 2, 2022, 03:33:50 pm »
I have not idea how to do any of that  ;D

I’m not a complete luddite, so if it’s easy and you can point me in the direction of simple instructions, I may give it a try.  If not, a Wi-Fi repeater plugged in upstairs may be easier?

Which Virgin broadband service do you have?

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #721 on: November 2, 2022, 04:13:52 pm »
These must be the hardest company to get hold for anything, went with them as they were promising 4x the current speed for the same price... and since we got it, as soon as you leave the room the router is in, the signal stops and you need to use mobile broadband. They even said when installing they were splitting the neighbours cable to install it so not sure if that has an effect... spent weeks trying to get a response online/ through their text/ whatsapp/ calls etc.. the whatsapp asks all the questions then says sorry nobody available try again later...
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #722 on: November 2, 2022, 04:46:17 pm »
https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi

Thanks

Which Virgin broadband service do you have?

100mb, although I think it’s just been upgraded to 125mb (not that I can tell any difference - streaming is still bad & buffering all the time, especially when I go upstairs)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: November 2, 2022, 06:55:11 pm »
Thanks

100mb, although I think it’s just been upgraded to 125mb (not that I can tell any difference - streaming is still bad & buffering all the time, especially when I go upstairs)

Not to be a c*nt, but do you have any mates who are handy with this stuff? There's a few things you can do to find out what the issue is with wifi, it could be conflicting channels, it could be you've got loads of devices on the same band, interference. I do agree on fucking the routers wifi off, I would recommend a mesh if you have bad interference or lots of devices - I bought a deco and whilst expensive, I've not had to touch it since I installed it so it's been worth every penny.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: November 3, 2022, 02:07:43 pm »
Not to be a c*nt, but do you have any mates who are handy with this stuff? There's a few things you can do to find out what the issue is with wifi, it could be conflicting channels, it could be you've got loads of devices on the same band, interference. I do agree on fucking the routers wifi off, I would recommend a mesh if you have bad interference or lots of devices - I bought a deco and whilst expensive, I've not had to touch it since I installed it so it's been worth every penny.

Which Deco do you have? I was looking at them. The M4 is on offer at ebuyer, £100 for the 3 pack. Was not sure about it, or to just go for a higher one.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: November 3, 2022, 02:20:48 pm »
I’m using eero Pro 6 which has been flawless.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: November 4, 2022, 10:14:14 am »
Which Deco do you have? I was looking at them. The M4 is on offer at ebuyer, £100 for the 3 pack. Was not sure about it, or to just go for a higher one.

I've got the M9 plus - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M9-Plus-Coverage-Antivirus/dp/B07GFNXBDT -  The only thing I had an issue with during setup was the sky q and mini box, had to put them both on ethernet and turn off mesh/wifi on the sky q box, I used powerline adaptors and the mini is now more reliable ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: November 5, 2022, 10:34:41 am »
My daughter has just had Virgin telly installed, the telly is the other side of the room from where the inlet is so needs an extension to the virgin box, what type of cable does she need. Everything I can see on Amazon has a threaded end, this hasn't.

Also, its very different from when I had it a few years ago, there seems to be two ethernet cables that are obsolete - what would they be for?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: November 5, 2022, 10:54:39 am »
The connectors are Type-F, you just need to find push on instead of screw on. The Ethernet cable is to connect the TV box to the Virgin router as generally they’re sited nearby as they’re connected to the same point on the wall.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #729 on: November 5, 2022, 11:48:27 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent Wi-Fi extender (or is it a repeater?) that works with the virgin hub?   My hub is downstairs and the broadband is really slow upstairs, so I guess it’s a weak signal.

I think Virgin give them to customers for free...I know they offered our kid a couple of them buckshee when he was renewing his contract....maybe worth a phonecall
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: November 5, 2022, 01:43:28 pm »
The connectors are Type-F, you just need to find push on instead of screw on. The Ethernet cable is to connect the TV box to the Virgin router as generally they’re sited nearby as they’re connected to the same point on the wall.
Thanks Graeme.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: November 10, 2022, 09:25:34 am »
Just getting round to sorting this - is this what I need Graeme / anyone?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L1Y7GB5/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3R8BDC971FDRV&psc=1

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: November 10, 2022, 05:51:41 pm »
Yeah that looks right

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: November 10, 2022, 06:16:18 pm »
Cheers again matey.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: November 15, 2022, 09:25:01 am »
Had a leaflet through the door from open reach telling me super fast fibre is coming ;D typical, but, at least VM will have some competition.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: November 15, 2022, 10:53:57 pm »
Had a leaflet through the door from open reach telling me super fast fibre is coming ;D typical, but, at least VM will have some competition.

We did a year ago was a great bargain chip to get VM broad band only down to £31 and an increase in speed , always been happy with it so wasn’t really bothered about switching

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: November 30, 2022, 12:08:23 pm »
Me again. This cable had the wrong ends.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L1Y7GB5/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3R8BDC971FDRV&psc=1

I need one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077DY42KF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This might be a stupid question but will this be OK with a HD telly or is it inferior and I'd need a better one?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: December 29, 2022, 10:32:47 am »
Bit of an unethical (maybe?) tip to share.

If you're a Virgin Internet customer and sign up to an O2 phone deal, they bump your Virgin internet speed up to the next tier for free.

I have just recently bought a new phone (a Pixel 6a) which I wanted to purchase SIM free but had to buy a 30 day rolling contract to get my hands on it. I did it and then cancelled the SIM within the 14 day cooling off period.

Within that 30 day cooling off period, Virgin/O2's systems were snazzy enough to almost instantly upgrade me to the next tier (350 Mbps) and I haven't since been downgraded.

So long as you use the same email for your Virgin and O2 accounts, it looks like it auto upgrades in the background.

Might get dropped back down (if they have a process for that) but thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: December 29, 2022, 10:44:06 am »
The Volt benefits are based purely on property address, doesn’t need to be the same account name or E-mail.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: January 9, 2023, 10:36:56 pm »
i got 2 Deco X60’s for ours and it transformed the signal and performance. Our 2 x60’s use ethernet backbone (new build house has the ethernet connectivity) and its brilliant. Deffo worthy imvestment. We’ve got gigabit fibre with virgin.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #740 on: January 11, 2023, 08:11:02 am »
We have relatively cheap tenda mesh. 3 boxes, one connected to router, one upstairs, one in conservatory. Seems to do the job, getting 70mbs on my phone right now. I think it was £60 for the three, might have been an offer and slightly less.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: January 11, 2023, 08:36:22 am »
I bought the Google WiFi on offer in November. 3 points for £100 I think it was. Piss easy to set up, set the Virgin router into modem mode and I was off. Massively improved the signal across the house as we have a point on each floor now so even the top floor has great signal. Helps that our main point is on the middle floor

Would definitely recommend getting something similar if you can, you definitely see a benefit

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #742 on: January 11, 2023, 09:13:38 pm »
We have relatively cheap tenda mesh. 3 boxes, one connected to router, one upstairs, one in conservatory. Seems to do the job, getting 70mbs on my phone right now. I think it was £60 for the three, might have been an offer and slightly less.

Absolutely rubbish things.  Their crapness is masked in a speed test but they are truly awful. Lag typing in SSH terminals tracked down to rubbish tenda mesh system.  Replaced with TP Link Deco and no issues now.

Should have learned my lesson when the tenda homeplugs dropped out every 30 mins really.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:28 pm »
Fair comment. Speed test may well mask them, but I seem to have no issue with them.
Though I could blame my crapness at overwatch on them :)

Also , seem to have strong signal all over the house, might be some latency but seems unnoticable to us.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2023, 09:30:31 pm »
Honestly mine almost went out the window. Laptop was about 5 foot from it and was diabolical. Blamed the work vpn at first until I tested wifi on the router and it worked so much better.

. IPTV doesn't have random drop ours anymore too.

To be fair, I don't think they were always terrible, maybe they just start turning to shit with 30 odd devices connected.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:34:55 pm by Ben S »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2023, 06:41:58 am »
Ah, I think we have about 15 connected.
If a raw speed test doesn't evaluate them effectively, can you recommend something else ?  I'm assuming ping?  Getting about 18ms. Though I don't know if that's good.

to be honest, if the family aren't moaning about the 'wifi' then I'm happy.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2023, 09:34:18 am »
Mine is fine, my laptop is wireless upstairs with the rooter downstairs, and I get around 330Mbps without any boosters or whatever.  Maybe I've just got thin walls.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: January 25, 2023, 06:50:57 am »
Looks like the Sky Sports UHD channels are finally coming to Virgin Media.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: February 2, 2023, 11:18:14 am »
Sky Sports UHD now on Virgin, cost seems to vary depending on package you already have. Either £4, £7 or £10.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2023, 07:59:22 am »
So an email off virgin media with the usual stuff about rising energy costs etc and letting me know that my broadband is going up by £7 a month from April from £31 to £38 ….I make that about a 23% rise . Be on the phone later as no justification for that

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #750 on: February 28, 2023, 10:59:49 am »
Anyone know if this lot would send an engineer out to re-establish a WiFi access point?

Basically I’ve got a garden office and had a cable run from my house to a port in the office, the company that built it plugged an access point (tp-link box) which then provided WiFi for the room: could use laptop, phones & console all at same time comfortably. Then the access point disappeared, though it still shows up in the phone menu etc, nothing will connect to it. I blamed the wife for insisting on putting the power off every night, though I’ve no real idea if that’s true. 😊. Local companies offer quotes for networking, just wondered if virgin might help a loyal customer?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: February 28, 2023, 11:12:00 am »
No chance they'll help. It's your own internal network that's the issue. You'd be better off finding someone locally. Happy to offer advice and guidance on here but it's difficult when you can't physically see the setup.

I'm presuming you have an ethernet cable that runs from your Virgin modem to the access point in the garden office? Is there any other equipment in the setup?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: February 28, 2023, 11:25:52 am »
That’s what I thought.

Yeah, there’s a cable from all the way round the front of my house (buried in a trench) to the bottom of the garden. I can use an Ethernet cable from the port to a console (I watch the football or Netflix or whatever on it) or a laptop. That works fine. It’s just the WiFi that’s disappeared.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: February 28, 2023, 11:34:18 am »
You should be able to login to the TP-Link Access Point whilst connected via an Ethernet cable and look at the WiFi settings. You’ll need to know which IP address it’s been setup on though.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: February 28, 2023, 11:47:18 am »
Prob be a sticker with the details on the bottom, or sometimes there's a sneaky card.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #755 on: February 28, 2023, 11:55:44 am »
So an email off virgin media with the usual stuff about rising energy costs etc and letting me know that my broadband is going up by £7 a month from April from £31 to £38 ….I make that about a 23% rise . Be on the phone later as no justification for that

It should be the standard RPI + 3.9% that Ofcom agreed to for all providers at the last review, currently 17.3% for Virgin

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: February 28, 2023, 01:01:52 pm »
You should be able to login to the TP-Link Access Point whilst connected via an Ethernet cable and look at the WiFi settings. You’ll need to know which IP address it’s been setup on though.

Hmmm, yes. I’ve tried all that. There are stickers with the IP etc, the lights light up as if connecting then it doesn’t hold for more than 10 seconds. I’m probably doing something really basic wrong, so am loathe to spend cash on getting someone in 😂😂🙄

I’ll give it another go when I can summon the will to live.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #757 on: February 28, 2023, 02:17:23 pm »
my folks are with them and I sort their contracts out for them every year (Mam pushing 80 and my Dad would never have a clue about stuff like this).

I was actually leaving these to go to EIR in Ireland, mother of god EIR have to be the worst provider ever

Offered a superb deal of about 70-75 euro for home phone, mobile, broadband and tv per month for two years

They came around one day and offered this and we agreed, end of November we signed up.

They said they had problems with our broadband as there was a line blockage etc, ok fine

next guy comes out a few weeks later
"yes there is a blockage, cant do that"

my mam told him "we already knew that"

Anyway appointments were put back and put back plus if it wasnt one problem it was another.

Finally last monday they were to come out, (they actually no showed at least once on a day my Mam cancelled plans).

Last monday mam gets a text to say appointment has been deferred to some date in early March

Cancelled the deal, stayed with Virgin media

I mean 3 months later it wasnt installed, when I rang to complain they didnt even argue
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #758 on: March 16, 2023, 02:05:58 pm »
Got a letter today saying my Net is going up £7 a month, something about high energy costs are making their running costs go up!! ::)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2023, 02:16:58 pm »
Got a letter today saying my Net is going up £7 a month, something about high energy costs are making their running costs go up!! ::)
I had the same letter myself. Been a customer since the NTL days so have received enough free upgrades of the internet speed over the years to now be at 250Mbps. Won't get even close to that with anyone else, irrespective of whether I'd pay their prices. As much as I don't want to up my bill, I also don't want the hassle of finding out how much slower an internet speed is still enough speed to do the job whilst at the same time switching from a provider that I've had almost zero issues with through too many years to count.