Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 127277 times)

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #600 on: January 7, 2021, 05:51:07 pm »
4 hours ive spent on the phone to these dickheads this week. Wifi cutting out all the time, crap coverage around the house.

For anyone considering joining Virgin Media... Dont.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: January 7, 2021, 06:08:26 pm »
Their hubs are notoriously poor. Just whack it in ‘Modem mode’ and get a 3rd party router or Mesh system to handle the WiFi side of it. You won’t regret it 👍🏻

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: January 7, 2021, 06:17:25 pm »
After the nightmare of Tuesday I have been asking people I know how does Sky's internet match up to the one Virgin provides. Most of them have said Virgin is probably better but I'm still tempted to go with Sky just because these are shite in other areas. Can anyone on here tell me what Sky's internet is like please?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: January 7, 2021, 07:05:31 pm »
I had no issue with Sky in the 5 years or so I was with them. Can’t remember a single day without service. That said, the maximum speed I have was 80Mb download and my new place is fibre to the house so on 500Mb now!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: January 7, 2021, 07:10:29 pm »
I had no issue with Sky in the 5 years or so I was with them. Can’t remember a single day without service. That said, the maximum speed I have was 80Mb download and my new place is fibre to the house so on 500Mb now!

Fucking hell that’s some difference in speed! Did the Sky internet seem slow to you at all?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: January 7, 2021, 07:16:41 pm »
Hmmm. 95% of the time no, but when PS4 game updates that were 30Gb+ it did grate a bit

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: January 7, 2021, 07:39:52 pm »
4 hours ive spent on the phone to these dickheads this week. Wifi cutting out all the time, crap coverage around the house.

For anyone considering joining Virgin Media... Dont.

The coverage around the house has improved a lot recently, but it drops out about 4 or 5 times a day, which is shite when it disconnects from the work VPN when I'm halfway through writing code.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: January 7, 2021, 09:17:00 pm »
The coverage around the house has improved a lot recently, but it drops out about 4 or 5 times a day, which is shite when it disconnects from the work VPN when I'm halfway through writing code.

Exactly my issue! Constantly dropping out, surely this is a fault? Ive got a senior engineer coming on Saturday to look at it.
Doesn't fill me with confidence if others have the same issue daily.

Fucking hell that’s some difference in speed! Did the Sky internet seem slow to you at all?

I had the normal sky Internet and cancelled within the cooling off period, fibre wasnt available at the time. The standard broadband is worse than 4g.
Id probably give fibre a go with them to be honest. Customer service with Virgin is shocking.

Any issues its an hour wait to an offshore call centre who are worse than useless.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: January 8, 2021, 08:12:48 am »
Exactly my issue! Constantly dropping out, surely this is a fault? Ive got a senior engineer coming on Saturday to look at it.
Doesn't fill me with confidence if others have the same issue daily.

Go into your settings and turn off smart wifi or whatever they call it, stick yourself on static channels. It should make it more stable. I also always used to separate my 5G and 2G to different SSIDs so I could manage it better and if you've got stuff that doesn't move and can go on ethernet, get home plugs.

Admin details are on the sticker on the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2021, 08:14:38 am by Claire. »

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: January 8, 2021, 01:28:29 pm »
Go into your settings and turn off smart wifi or whatever they call it, stick yourself on static channels. It should make it more stable. I also always used to separate my 5G and 2G to different SSIDs so I could manage it better and if you've got stuff that doesn't move and can go on ethernet, get home plugs.

Admin details are on the sticker on the bottom.

Will give it a go! Thanks Claire.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #610 on: January 10, 2021, 01:21:27 pm »
Hmmm. I called up to cancel my virgin contract and they offered to reduce it from £106 to £82 - on an 18 month contract. That’s for the full house tv (incl. Sky & BT sports), M100 fibre broadband and line rental.  Am I likely to get a better deal than that with Sky or BT? Is Sky’s broadband decent compared to Virgin? To be honest, I’m paying for 100mb broadband, but only averaging 32down/9up - so not really getting my money’s worth anyway.

Decisions, decisions.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #611 on: January 11, 2021, 09:58:20 am »
Just had the 1 gig installed Saturday. Getting about 1070 to the box and I end up with about 900 wired to my pc through a port switch. Wireless can vary anywhere between 850 and 200 because as expected they still manage to make a god awful wireless router with terrible range. Thinking about getting the Google router and couple.of extra points, anyone had any experience with that? Not looking for great speeds wireless, just consistent and good range.
Hmmm. I called up to cancel my virgin contract and they offered to reduce it from £106 to £82 - on an 18 month contract. That’s for the full house tv (incl. Sky & BT sports), M100 fibre broadband and line rental.  Am I likely to get a better deal than that with Sky or BT? Is Sky’s broadband decent compared to Virgin? To be honest, I’m paying for 100mb broadband, but only averaging 32down/9up - so not really getting my money’s worth anyway.

Decisions, decisions.

Is that on a wired connection? Doesn't seem right if so.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: January 15, 2021, 11:54:52 am »
Just had the 1 gig installed Saturday. Getting about 1070 to the box and I end up with about 900 wired to my pc through a port switch. Wireless can vary anywhere between 850 and 200 because as expected they still manage to make a god awful wireless router with terrible range. Thinking about getting the Google router and couple.of extra points, anyone had any experience with that? Not looking for great speeds wireless, just consistent and good range.

I'm using an eero Mesh with Virgin and the difference compared to the Virgin router is night and day. The standard eero 3-pack (which I've got) will max out at around 450Mbps for WiFi but the range and consistency is excellent.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: January 15, 2021, 03:38:37 pm »

Decisions, decisions.
I get 2 boxes, Sky and BT Sport (just no movies), 200mb (actually get this too wireless) line rental/phone with Virgin for £75 pm, your M100 has a guaranteed speed of minimum 54 mb - you should get money back if not, report a fault, save speed measures at different times of the day to send them as evidence

I transferred from Sky, 30mb internet, no sports or movies just entertainment £96 pm - shite
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: January 15, 2021, 04:30:02 pm »
I'm using an eero Mesh with Virgin and the difference compared to the Virgin router is night and day. The standard eero 3-pack (which I've got) will max out at around 450Mbps for WiFi but the range and consistency is excellent.

Yeah I think I'm going to go for the mesh setup. If I get round what your getting consistently around the house the kids (iPads in the toilet!) and missus (in the kitchen!) should be happy enough.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #615 on: January 23, 2021, 12:20:52 pm »
Can someone explain to me why I'm paying for 200mb internet and my pc is wired but only getting 80mb??
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: January 23, 2021, 01:49:15 pm »
Can someone explain to me why I'm paying for 200mb internet and my pc is wired but only getting 80mb??

Have you tried different ethernet cables? Are you using cat5 or cat5e/6?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: January 23, 2021, 02:01:07 pm »
Yeah Ethernet cable is the first thing to check. Cat5 will max out at 100Mb whereas Cat5e and Cat6 will do 1000Mb

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2021, 05:20:42 pm »
Yeah Ethernet cable is the first thing to check. Cat5 will max out at 100Mb whereas Cat5e and Cat6 will do 1000Mb

I've got cat 7 whatever that means, I'm also 4 meters away from the router.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: January 23, 2021, 06:24:05 pm »
Cat 7 is the newest so that’s not the cause of the issue, unless the cable is duff. Do you know the make/model of your Ethernet card? It’ll be in device manager under Network Adapters, or showing in Network connections in the control panel.

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: January 23, 2021, 08:20:08 pm »
Cat 7 is the newest so that’s not the cause of the issue, unless the cable is duff. Do you know the make/model of your Ethernet card? It’ll be in device manager under Network Adapters, or showing in Network connections in the control panel.

It says realtek pcle gbe family controller  then 8 wan miniport with different letters and numbers after it.
Dalai Lama

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: January 23, 2021, 08:42:58 pm »
GBE = Gigabit Ethernet so that shouldn’t be the issue. If you run a Speedtest from a wireless device nearby what speeds do you get?

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:58 pm »
GBE = Gigabit Ethernet so that shouldn’t be the issue. If you run a Speedtest from a wireless device nearby what speeds do you get?

Ethernet cable. Ping is 8 upload is 91.04 download is 19.70, now WIFI is daft and I thought it would be the other way around. ping is 12 download is 174 upload is 20.7.

Surly it should be the other way around????
Dalai Lama

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2021, 01:17:59 pm »
I was asking you to try via WiFi to narrow it down to either the PC or the line, so given those speeds over WiFi the line looks fine. Try a different Ethernet port on the router or a different cable. Could try rebooting the router too.

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:58 pm »
I was asking you to try via WiFi to narrow it down to either the PC or the line, so given those speeds over WiFi the line looks fine. Try a different Ethernet port on the router or a different cable. Could try rebooting the router too.

Cheers mate, I bought the cable just before Xmas when I got my P.C. I'll swap the cables on the router and see what happens.
Dalai Lama

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: February 2, 2021, 02:54:30 pm »
Recently cancelled due to crap service, just been offered 518mbps for 41 quid a month to stay.

is this likely to improve coverage and cutouts? not sure what to do now

pretty sure I will have the same issues with BT if I changed to them and they are only 60mbps around mine

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: February 2, 2021, 03:00:24 pm »
Recently cancelled due to crap service, just been offered 518mbps for 41 quid a month to stay.

is this likely to improve coverage and cutouts? not sure what to do now

pretty sure I will have the same issues with BT if I changed to them and they are only 60mbps around mine

Unlikely as you'll still have the same Virgin Modem. From your previous posts the issues are WiFi related and no matter which package they put you on that won't change. If you put it in 'Modem only' mode and use either a Mesh system, or even just a half decent standalone WiFi router you'll see a world of difference. Let the modem handle the WAN and something else handle the WiFi that's more upto the job. Even something like this will probably be a considerable improvement...

https://www.box.co.uk/R6260-100UKS-Netgear-R6260-AC1600-Smart-WiFi-Router_2314882.html?wgu=13045_116019_16122782617674_9d81ca5d8f&wgexpiry=1620054261&utm_source=webgains_116019&utm_medium=webgains&utm_campaign=affiliate

« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 03:07:01 pm by Graeme »

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: February 2, 2021, 03:08:33 pm »
Unlikely as you'll still have the same Virgin Modem. From your previous posts the issues are WiFi related and no matter which package they put you on that won't change. If you put it in 'Modem only' mode and use either a Mesh system, or even just a half decent standalone WiFi router you'll see a world of difference. Let the modem handle the WAN and something else handle the WiFi that's more upto the job.

That is what I thought, it means spending the money on Mesh boosters?

I could ask for a better router? or some boosters?

I dont think I will get any better from another provider as my walls are made of lead

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: February 2, 2021, 03:10:47 pm »
Virgin do offer boosters which I’m sure you could get bundled in, I’ve not used them though so don’t know how good they are or aren’t.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: February 2, 2021, 03:14:14 pm »
Cheers Graeme

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #630 on: February 2, 2021, 03:36:59 pm »
Virgin do offer boosters which I’m sure you could get bundled in, I’ve not used them though so don’t know how good they are or aren’t.
I've got the boosters from Virgin as my daugters bedroom (furtherst room from the hub) didn't get great signal. She doesn't complain now.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: February 2, 2021, 03:44:47 pm »
I've got the boosters from Virgin as my daugters bedroom (furtherst room from the hub) didn't get great signal. She doesn't complain now.

that is good to hear, I have told them to throw one in with the deal and I will give it a go, I get 14 days cooling off anyway

Offline quirkovski

• Main Stander
« Reply #632 on: February 19, 2021, 02:47:20 pm »
My 100mb was jumping up from £29 to £49 in the middle of March, phoned them this morning and they went down to £37, wasn’t good enough so told them to go ahead with the cancellation. Ends on the 21/03/21.  Hoping they will still phone with a better offer in the coming days.

Or have I gone to far through the process of getting a better deal and the cancellation will go ahead?

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
« Reply #633 on: February 19, 2021, 04:33:59 pm »
Unlikely as you'll still have the same Virgin Modem. From your previous posts the issues are WiFi related and no matter which package they put you on that won't change. If you put it in 'Modem only' mode and use either a Mesh system, or even just a half decent standalone WiFi router you'll see a world of difference. Let the modem handle the WAN and something else handle the WiFi that's more upto the job. Even something like this will probably be a considerable improvement...

https://www.box.co.uk/R6260-100UKS-Netgear-R6260-AC1600-Smart-WiFi-Router_2314882.html?wgu=13045_116019_16122782617674_9d81ca5d8f&wgexpiry=1620054261&utm_source=webgains_116019&utm_medium=webgains&utm_campaign=affiliate

How good is that router Graeme?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: February 19, 2021, 05:57:33 pm »
It’ll almost certainly outperform the Virgin hub.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #635 on: February 19, 2021, 06:02:10 pm »
My 100mb was jumping up from £29 to £49 in the middle of March, phoned them this morning and they went down to £37, wasn’t good enough so told them to go ahead with the cancellation. Ends on the 21/03/21.  Hoping they will still phone with a better offer in the coming days.

Or have I gone to far through the process of getting a better deal and the cancellation will go ahead?

I think I got them down to £31 when I called to cancel my 100mb last week mate
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #636 on: February 19, 2021, 06:37:30 pm »

I would expect a call from outbound retentions in the next few days, seems to be the only way to get decent reductions these days.

Are you after phone line as well as the 100mb data or just 100mb data?

Offline quirkovski

• Main Stander
« Reply #637 on: February 19, 2021, 06:42:20 pm »
I think I got them down to £31 when I called to cancel my 100mb last week mate

Interesting. It was impossible for them to go any lower earlier

I would expect a call from outbound retentions in the next few days, seems to be the only way to get decent reductions these days.

Are you after phone line as well as the 100mb data or just 100mb data?

Yeah, the phone line came with the initial offer so that’s set up but have never plugged a phone in or needed it. Hopefully they call back, I would be interested in a speed increase for around £35.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: February 19, 2021, 06:47:46 pm »
Not sure about Virgin but both Talktalk and BT have gone down further once I actually signed up with Sky & they contacted (BT/TT) to facilitate my migration,once that happened I got a call the same day.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #639 on: February 19, 2021, 06:50:41 pm »
Interesting. It was impossible for them to go any lower earlier

Yeah, the phone line came with the initial offer so that’s set up but have never plugged a phone in or needed it. Hopefully they call back, I would be interested in a speed increase for around £35.

I went through the same thing, before I left they kept forcing me to bundle phone and internet, the outbound departure people will be able to give you a good deal on internet only, so make sure you tell them you don't want the phone.

A mate of mine got 200mb for about £23 I think, I got 500mb for £34, also offered 350mb for £28

They called me within a few days post cancellation