Author Topic: What about a fans' match in Bucharest, 24/25 Feb, then?  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What about a fans' match in Bucharest, 24/25 Feb, then?
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 10:29:44 am »
I was asked to provide a bit more information about our side, even asked what time we plan to play and whether we have any requirements!

Given that the pitches are right next to the ground and that we'd like to play on Wednesday evening I suspect Unirea and Liverpool might well be training on the neighbouring ones (they about 4 pitches next to each other there - a couple of astros and a couple of grass ones (I suspect the grass ones will be playable as well)).

Could be quality, this.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »
OK, fellas, I provided the chap @ Steaua with some more information and he replied that Steaua "will be glad to help", so it's full steam ahead on that front, which is an unexpected result, to be honest.
Will 7pm or 8pm k/o on the 24th be suitable? (My plane is landing at 4pm @ Banesea, so I should be able to make it over in plenty of time) Time might be finalised closer to the time as this might change if it clashes with Liverpool's training session, I am told.

Offline matchball

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:00 pm »
Sounds good to me. 7pm or 8pm should be late enough for most who are travelling over on the wed. Looking forward to it, keep up the good work mate!

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
Right, better get that list of potential players together from across 3 forums and PMs.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 01:13:14 pm »
Right, spoke to my Romanian contacts. Here is the deal.
AISS (the Steaua fans' organisation) and the owners have fallen out big time - the situation reached its nadir last autumn with mass bans (from the ground) which have been partially rescinded, I understand. The club have now realised that they were being OTT and, it seems, are trying to somehow build bridges - which, I think, is why they granted the use of the pitch so easily; however, understandably AISS are reluctant to have anything to do with the club at the moment. So, some options...

1. Try to use this match as an opportunity to build bridges between the two sides in the conflict and explain to Steaua that we don't want this to be a PR exercise for the club. I am not sure how appropriate it is for us to get involved with the politics here.

2. Find non-AISS supporters to play against; however, in such a conflict I am not sure I want us to be seen aligned to the club in any way.

3. Play elsewhere but it's going to have to be a smaller-scale match (5/7-a-side) as the Steaua pitch is pretty much the only place in Bucharest where an 11-a-side match can be held for us and I have received feedback that some of those who want to play are not so keen on a smaller pitch.

4. Can the idea as it's proving to be somewhat tricky.

Your thoughts, please.

Personally I am keen to play. AISS have made it clear that they're also keen to play but playing at Steaua would undesirable for them. Option 3, perhaps, would be least difficult.

PS Didn't really expect to walk into a situation like this.

Offline Chris_Romania

• RAWK Romanian Correspondent
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:06 pm »
That's what you get if you're planning football matches with one of the worst group of "supporters" in Romania.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »
That's what you get if you're planning football matches with one of the worst group of "supporters" in Romania.
Well... the chaps I've been in touch with have been perfectly civil.
And Becali hasn't exactly covered himself in glory.
What's your view on the situation?

Offline Chris_Romania

• RAWK Romanian Correspondent
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »
Well, Becali is an idiot, and I think all Steaua fans can relate to that. But Steaua has also plenty of hooligans only looking for trouble - just like the other 2 teams in Bucharest, Rapid and Dinamo, so-called "fans" that come to games only to fight with whoever is in their way. However, in this conflict, I must say, it's hard not to hate Becali.
But if official groups of steaua fans plan on playing at Ghencea - it's difficult, given the current situation. Maybe you and their fans should try some other grounds... not Dinamo or Rapid obviously, if you don't want to start a civil war :D, but of smaller Liga 2 or 3 teams. Sportul Studentesc for example has a training ground right next to their stadium, I doubt renting it will be too expensive.
If this doesn't happen, you can always contact the Rapid fans and do something with them :) I might join you if this is the case :D

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »
Well, Becali is an idiot, and I think all Steaua fans can relate to that. But Steaua has also plenty of hooligans only looking for trouble - just like the other 2 teams in Bucharest, Rapid and Dinamo, so-called "fans" that come to games only to fight with whoever is in their way. However, in this conflict, I must say, it's hard not to hate Becali.
But if official groups of steaua fans plan on playing at Ghencea - it's difficult, given the current situation. Maybe you and their fans should try some other grounds... not Dinamo or Rapid obviously, if you don't want to start a civil war :D, but of smaller Liga 2 or 3 teams. Sportul Studentesc for example has a training ground right next to their stadium, I doubt renting it will be too expensive.
If this doesn't happen, you can always contact the Rapid fans and do something with them :) I might join you if this is the case :D

Well, it sounds like the club would let them play as part of a charm offensive but they're not so keen on any contact with Becali.
The problem with other grounds ("proper" grounds, not training grounds) is they don't seem to have any floodlights - just had a look at Sportul Studentesc - a dinky little ground but no floodlights. So, basically, it seems we're a bit f***ed when it comes to choices of 11-a-side as Steaua seems to have the only suitable venue in Bucharest for this. I doubt people flying over would bother for a smaller-sided game to be honest. Will give it a few more days for people to catch up on the thread here. Realistically, unless there is some sort of compromise between Steaua and AISS, I don't think it's going to happen, which is probably what I am going to have to tell them... And I don't really want to land a bunch of lads on a Euro away in the middle of a political dispute affecting a club LFC are not even playing against in this competition. Grrrrr... just wanna have a game a football and a few beers... it's a slightly Quixotic obsession, I suppose, but losing the will to live over how difficult it's proving to be.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:26:42 pm by Pata »

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:52 am »
Right, I am in touch with an alternative contact regarding playing @ Steaua, so fingers crossed.

Offline matchball

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:42 am »
Well done mate, good luck......

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »
And I don't really want to land a bunch of lads on a Euro away in the middle of a political dispute affecting a club LFC are not even playing against in this competition.

you really want to make this a trip to remember ;D

liked the first idea that could end up 5/6/7/8/9/10/11 a side with skrtel and the boys, keep plugging away ya big softie we'll find something eventually ;)
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Just a quick list of players so far (arrival times) (forum) - position
? = not reconfirmed yet.
(so, if passing through, could you stick down your position/arrival time/reconfirm availability, please).
1. Sash (Wed, 4pm) (RAWK) - GK
2. GeeFJay (Wed, 1pm) (RAWK) - CB
3. ? aedge659 (?) (RAWK)
4. ? gnaume (?) (RAWK)
5. Adam Brown - (Tue) (RAWK) - CB
6. Daniel Brown - (Tue) (RAWK) - FW/GK
7. Robert Tafe - (Tue) (RAWK) - M.
8. ?  scouser4eva (Wed, 5pm) (RAWK)
9. ? scouser4eva - 1 (Wed, 5pm) (-)
10. ? scouser4eva - 2 (Wed, 5pm) (-)
11. ? scouser4eva - 3 (Wed, 5pm) (-)
12. ? scouser4eva - 4 (Wed, 5pm) (-)
13. ? Rhino (?) (RAWK) - LM/CM.
14. an69a (Bucharest-based) (TIA) - CM (d)
15. Fraily (?) (iLFC) - RB/RW
16. Fraily - 1 (?) - D.
17. ? adamhart1987 (?) (iLFC)
18. ? adamhart1987 - 1 (?) (-)
19. ? adamhart1987 - 2 (?) (-)
20  ? adamhart1987 - 3 (?) (-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:50:49 pm by Pata »

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »
2. GeeFJay (Wed) (RAWK) - CB

i better bring my prescription swimming goggles, i'll smash me face in trying to head something out.

arriving approx 1pm wednesday.

www.misternobody.co.uk

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline matchball

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
Adam Brown - Centre back, Daniel Brown Forward / Keeper and Robert Tafe Midfield.

All arriving tues as stated.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
Updated (and moved to 1st post).
Started preparing for the cold out there by going running in the evening for the past 3 days - good job I'll be wearing gloves, I tell ya.

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:25 pm »
couple of quickies, is this planned to be an inside or outside job and what footwear bar some socks do i need i.e studs, blades or astro's?

one thing we must remember, no matter how many times we confirm the location google maps, pics and the EXACT name of the place, twice in madrid did i get lost.

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:53 pm »
couple of quickies, is this planned to be an inside or outside job and what footwear bar some socks do i need i.e studs, blades or astro's?

one thing we must remember, no matter how many times we confirm the location google maps, pics and the EXACT name of the place, twice in madrid did i get lost.

Outside job (wrap up). I understand it's gonna be on an astro but will explicitly confirm with the guy.
This one's easy - down the main road to the Ghencea Stadium past the cemetery and it's on your left. Will post multiple maps. :)

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 01:08:13 am »
This one's easy - past the cemetery and it's on your left.

its gonna be a mad trip

something i did forget, do i need them things you wrap round your lower legs? guards is it??

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »
Dont think ill be able to make it not gettin into Bucharest till the evening on the 24th so be a rush from the airport/hotel ill keep checking this thread but dont put me down as a cert.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 4, 2010, 12:01:13 pm »
The conditions are going to be a bit unusual, the location a tad random - but that's the charm of it all. Any potential footballers heading out to this one?

Hi mate, I'm a footballer and would definitely be up for this.

Booking my flights today for the 24th, suppose the only difficulty is stopping myself from drinking beforehand. :)

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 4, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »
Hi mate, I'm a footballer and would definitely be up for this.

Booking my flights today for the 24th, suppose the only difficulty is stopping myself from drinking beforehand. :)

Sound. Position played and arrival time, please.
Same goes for everyone who hasn't got back to me please.

Spoke to the fella at Steaua who's been helping to sort out the pitch - he needs a couple of final signoffs (including the club president!) and should be able to send me an official confirmation tomorrow.

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #62 on: February 4, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »
woohoo! good to see progress Pata, numbers coming along nicely now i hope.

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 4, 2010, 07:20:19 pm »
Yes, confirmations slowly but surely coming in.

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #64 on: February 4, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »
i've got some spare socks if you are short and could muster up a few shirts and shorts if needed, confirm nearer the time though as i might end up bringing another small case now.

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 5, 2010, 02:24:38 pm »
Sound. Position played and arrival time, please.
Same goes for everyone who hasn't got back to me please.

Spoke to the fella at Steaua who's been helping to sort out the pitch - he needs a couple of final signoffs (including the club president!) and should be able to send me an official confirmation tomorrow.

Striker or right-mid ideally but I'm versatile I could do a job anywhere you are struggling.

Changed my mind and booked a flight for the 23rd from Gatwick, arriving in Bucharest at 19:45.

Noticed how many players you have got, how are you going to work it with so many?

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 5, 2010, 03:35:28 pm »
Striker or right-mid ideally but I'm versatile I could do a job anywhere you are struggling.

Changed my mind and booked a flight for the 23rd from Gatwick, arriving in Bucharest at 19:45.

Noticed how many players you have got, how are you going to work it with so many?

Details noted.

Only those in Bold have re-confirmed their interest. It happens that a number express initial interest, then only some of them actually re-confirm that they will be attending and then you will lose a couple on the day, so ideally we actually need a few more, but again as practice shows, there will be a few more "ayes" closer to the day.

According to our Steaua contact, Becali is out of the country today and cannot be reached but once they speak to him, we'll get a confirmation.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2010, 03:38:10 pm by Pata »

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #67 on: February 5, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »
in case your not all following the roll call thread:-

Dear Passenger,

Wizz Air would like to call your attention to the fact that due to peak period at Bucharest - Baneasa Airport the check-in may take more time than usual, therefore check-in will open three hours before the scheduled time of departure.

We advise you to check in as early as possible and proceed immediately to security and passport control.

If you do not show up in time for boarding, your checked-in bags will be off-loaded and the aircraft will depart without you.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Wizz Air Customer Service

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 8, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
Rhino out. Still waiting for Steaua's response. Will give them a nudge tomorrow. Might ask for a snow plough as well.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 9, 2010, 11:14:02 am »
Becali is still in Antalya with the team (winter-break training camp, playing a few friendlies, etc - many an Eastern European side heads that way at this time of year) and the fella still needs to speak to him. Patience, please, (though, admittedly, mine is being tested).

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 9, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »
Becali is still in Antalya with the team (winter-break training camp, playing a few friendlies, etc - many an Eastern European side heads that way at this time of year) and the fella still needs to speak to him. Patience, please, (though, admittedly, mine is being tested).

Ha mine too!

Well up for this mate :)

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #71 on: February 9, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »
sounding like this is going to fall through Pata? don't do it to me again!

i could probably push some more but i was hoping to have known by a week today, pancake day that is!

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Come onnn Pata!

Give us some good news.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
Wish I could, mate. Steaua have another friendly in Turkey today and they have their first match after the winter break in 9 days, so I presume they should be coming back in the next couple of days, meaning Becali should be back as well.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:17 pm »
Right, speaking to another chap at the club now - hopefully will have good news in the next couple of days.

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »
well done pata, keep up the good work.

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline matchball

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »
Right, speaking to another chap at the club now - hopefully will have good news in the next couple of days.

Well either way, you have worked hard on this mate. I think if you manage to pull it off it will be amazing! Hope you do, though it's getting really close now......

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2010, 01:05:11 pm »
well done pata, keep up the good work.

Seconded.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »
Right, bad news - the club said "no".

Official excuse - all the pitches are bvggered because of the weather, leaving just the one pitch - the big astro - for all the club sides to train on. Now, I think this is just that - an excuse - given that the weather situation is not something new and wasn't mentioned as a major problem up until this point. I think the real reason is the Steaua fans' request not to have this event associated with the owner in any way.

I've lost most of my will to live after this. Feel a bit dirty as well.

Now, the Steaua fans are still keen to play - a 7-a-side version - and are willing to look into finding something last-moment. There is a nice-looking "neutral" 7-a-side astro by the ground
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ghencea,&sll=44.412478,26.043563&sspn=0.003694,0.006126&ie=UTF8&radius=0.15&rq=1&ev=zi&hq=ghencea,&hnear=&ll=44.41257,26.043541&spn=0.003694,0.008315&t=h&z=17
(off the stadium's top-right corner)

Does anyone still want to play? I would if there is enough of us. And with the confirmations so far, we should have enough if everyone is still up for it. Let me know.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2010, 03:18:18 pm »
Yeah, my impression after this:
dealing with Romanian officialdom < AIDS.