Author Topic: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone  (Read 481337 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
to be honest, gym or not you can adjust your calorie intake to prevent putting on weight.

I've been getting a sleeve tattoo done since the start of Sept (tattoo appointments every couple of week pretty much) and it's prevented me from doing workouts whilst it fresh and healing. I just adjust the calorie intake down to make sure it's below what I burn doing general shit that day.

The good thing is mate you've done it once, so you know you can do it again  :thumbup

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
to be honest, gym or not you can adjust your calorie intake to prevent putting on weight.

I've been getting a sleeve tattoo done since the start of Sept (tattoo appointments every couple of week pretty much) and it's prevented me from doing workouts whilst it fresh and healing. I just adjust the calorie intake down to make sure it's below what I burn doing general shit that day.

The good thing is mate you've done it once, so you know you can do it again  :thumbup
yeah i know i realize that without training there are ways to maintain things

cheers mate
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I did the same thing with a marathon, shed a couple of stone even though I was eating and drinking like fuck. You don't realize how many extra calories the running is burning.  I lived off the achievement for a while and my diet afterwards stayed the same and I put the belly back on gradually.

Mate if you can run a fucking marathon you can shift a bit of weight. Luckily there are healthier/easier ways to do it than running 26 mile :)
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've done the same thing with a lowly 10k ;D last one of the Jane Tomlinson season and I got a much better time than I could have hoped for and then all of a sudden my keenness to run and diet has gone out the window.

I'm telling myself when I get the keys to my own house in a week or three that I'm only stocking the fridge with quality healthy food and that I'm exercising all the time.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
Weight loss/Getting fit
« Reply #5484 on: November 23, 2016, 09:54:59 am »
I'll be honest, i've let myself go a bit over the last 6 months and i'm looking to get back into shape and wondering if anyone else wants to post their weight once a week to give a bit of extra motivation.

I have no desire to do this in 'real life' as I don't see myself as 'fat' and none of my mates would be up for it and would slaughter me for even mentioning it so I thought this might be a good environment for a few like-minded people.

Im 6 foot and weighed myself this morning and i'm 15st 6lbs. I was 40 in June and I have my kids (divorced) 4 nights a week and I can't get to the gym those nights so weights/sit ups indoors is my only option.

I am quite heavy boned (if that's the right word!) so even when I was in very good shape, I was 13st 7lbs as I do a few weights so there is no point setting an unrealistic target of 12st or anything as I just can't get down to that.

So I'm setting myself a goal of losing those 23lbs by the end of March 17 by eating better, cutting down on the drink and starting to run again (I have done 2 marathons previously but none since 2013).

I do ride to work every day (9 miles each way) so I do have some fitness and I don't want to give up everything as that will make life grim but I reckon I can do it but it would be good to have a few others doing it as well to keep the motivation up.

Let me know if you're interested. :wave

Cheers, Kev
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
Sorry, didn't know there was already a thread for this  :butt

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry, didn't know there was already a thread for this  :butt
dont see the problem with posting progress here though as most used to anyway

including me

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
dont see the problem with posting progress here though as most used to anyway

including me

Cheers mate. First day of trying to be good and some fucker brings cake in to the office cos it's their birthday  :no

Hoping to be down to 15'3 by this time next week so fingers crossed

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
What I'd personally say is not to rely on the scales. You could easily fluctuate 3lb up or down from one day to the next due to a whole load of reasons so they really aren't that reliable on their own.

Take pics in the mirror and take some in a months time and compare them. Take measurements and do the same in a months time. Both of those will show progress pretty well, but don't be looking at them on a weekly basis as it's likely the changes will be minor.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
I've been eating better and exercising more for about two weeks now and I do feel better for it I must admit. I still had beers at the weekend and a couple of unhealthy meals but much less than usual. I'm not really weighing myself as I don't have scales and from experience they can be very demotivating anyway. Watching out for progress the old fashioned way, with my eyes. Can't deny it is tough sometimes though. Crave food most days but trying to be disciplined.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
Thanks Craig. Yeah I did think of taking a picture yesterday but then I backed out of it but it makes sense. I'll take one in the morning

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Take a couple from a few angles, make sure they stay hidden  ;D

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
Yeah i'll have to let my other half know cos otherwise she'll think i'm using them to sext someone!! I can only imagine the women lining up for a pic of my pale gut!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Went from 20st 7lb in summer 2014 to 17st by late autumn that year, been hovering around 17st7 since then, went to the Euros and went to 18st7 so been putting in a concerted effort since the start of October and today I'm back at around 17st5 - I just use MyFitnessPal and try to stay under 1500 calories a day, cut out alcohol outside matchdays. Soup for lunch in the canteen at work, salad or a sandwich for tea, something proteiny with salad if I'm treating myself.

Last week I didn't lose anything (but was delighted to stay level at where I was) because by the time I fell asleep on the train from Southampton I reckon I'd had 21 pints. Sunday was bad.

Either way, I'm a notch down in my belts, my suit trousers aren't like lycra any more and shirts I've barely worn because 'I'll slim into them' are now coming in range.

Target is under 17st before Christmas - my lowest ever adult weight is 16st7 - and 15st is the ultimate.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
If you're accurately tracking stuff and sticking to 1500 cals then you should easily lose 2-4lbs a week (depending how active you are, if very then maybe more).

Your general daily need at your weight will easily be 2500 cals a day, and given (roughly) every 3500 cals you eat under this equals 1lb lost it soon adds up.

If you're not losing it that fast but think you're eating that low cals then I'd double check how accurate you're tracking it.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
ill have to go back to using mfp

works, just out of laziness i dont use it

went back the gym last night and it was pathetic, but thats what months of lazing about does

15 mins run. gonna aim to increase that by 10 mins a week. as i said before when i dont train regularly my back flares up when i start again so i have to tolerate that for a while and then hopefully it goes away then the progress will start

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If you're accurately tracking stuff and sticking to 1500 cals then you should easily lose 2-4lbs a week (depending how active you are, if very then maybe more).

Your general daily need at your weight will easily be 2500 cals a day, and given (roughly) every 3500 cals you eat under this equals 1lb lost it soon adds up.

If you're not losing it that fast but think you're eating that low cals then I'd double check how accurate you're tracking it.

No I am losing about 2lb a week with it.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
No I am losing about 2lb a week with it.

I'd just double check you're tracking everything 100%, no matter how small or little make sure it goes in exactly. Try that for a week without checking and just see if there is anything you've no realised adding calories to your diet.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

i always thought it was strange seeing you in this thread, i met you many years ago and you werent remotely fat, wouldnt have thought it in any way shape or form

i have a charity football match saturday so trying to shake off all the rust

only lasted 15 mins on treadmill monday and my back locked up, 5 mins walk then another 10 min run

then last night the back played up again and unfortunately i had a very bad stomach yesterday so that was the end of that but im trying not to snack as much and am definitely not drinking as much

hopefully get the gym tonight and all going well ive two football matches this week. i want to shift a bit of weight prior to christmas and get the fitness back up

the back issue always happens when i havent done anything in ages and put weight on, it will go away soon

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Would it be worth throwing in some less impact cardio (cycling/swimming) rather than running until you drop a bit of the weight which takes a hit on your back?

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Would it be worth throwing in some less impact cardio (cycling/swimming) rather than running until you drop a bit of the weight which takes a hit on your back?
no pool in the gym but cycling maybe the way to go alright

no harm doing something different

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Just had two Cream Eggs.. :lickin
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
It's not even Christmas yet, you deviant!
Been eating at least one a day for the last two weeks. ;D

It's why I ride my bike so much, I love chocolate. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Does anybody use a Fitbit device?

Does it help in any way? Can they genuinely motivate you or is it something that has a novelty-wears-off effect?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hit a 2 stone weight-loss last night, in 20 weeks, losing 0.5lbs in the last week.

I am finding it a bit harder - not in terms of sticking to a sensible eating plan, but finding the lbs are coming off a bit slowly at this stage. I don't know if it's just a rut and I need to change things up a bit or if it is slowing down because I am getting closer to my goal. 2st was my initial target and then several weeks ago I changed that to 3st which I am going to push for.

Maybe time to increase activity/fitness levels now.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Are you doing any/much exercise at the moment?

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
You've done great there, Ciara and proven you can do it.
Maybe you should forget about the numbers now and continue to develop the lifestyle that has lead to this.
Once it's habitual - then you will achieve whatever you want.

I was not overweight nor a gym goer, but I have certainly body dismorphia.
Started to go to the gym at work here (School) and I tightened myself up for my wedding in August.
Feel great, but more importantly; it's part of my lifestyle now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Are you doing any/much exercise at the moment?

No, I really don't... I do feel like I am more active than what I was e.g. I walk alot more and at a better pace. I try and have a few days a week where I will walk over a certain amount of steps - if I look at my phone and I can see I haven't been moving much in the previous few days, then I will set out to walk a 10k+ steps by walking to/from work from the train station, and the same from home to/from the train station instead of getting the bus etc... but no, I don't do any activities or go to the gym.

I know you have mentioned HIIT before to me, and that would be a good place to start but I am just a bit clueless really. I did Insanity for the best part of a month about 4 years ago, but found that quite intense at the time.

You've done great there, Ciara and proven you can do it.
Maybe you should forget about the numbers now and continue to develop the lifestyle that has lead to this.
Once it's habitual - then you will achieve whatever you want.

I was not overweight nor a gym goer, but I have certainly body dismorphia.
Started to go to the gym at work here (School) and I tightened myself up for my wedding in August.
Feel great, but more importantly; it's part of my lifestyle now.

Yeah, I think that's right - I think I have become a bit obsessed with the numbers on a scale where I should really be focusing more now on how I feel and how I can feel better. I guess they both kind of go hand in hand, but I tend to focus more on the fact I only lost 0.5lbs this week, rather than I am now almost 2 jean sizes smaller etc... I don't feel it challenging in terms of temptations or getting into a lazy food slump where I eat poorly consistently, so I think I have developed a lifestyle that has become almost normal. If I took away the scales it would probably feel more normal.

I think the big thing with me and exercise is that I am aware that you can 'gain weight' in terms of muscle, so I think that has put me off a little. Again, focusing more on the numbers than feeling fitter and healthier, which is what exercise would do.

Did you follow a cardio or weights plan?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
No, I really don't... I do feel like I am more active than what I was e.g. I walk alot more and at a better pace. I try and have a few days a week where I will walk over a certain amount of steps - if I look at my phone and I can see I haven't been moving much in the previous few days, then I will set out to walk a 10k+ steps by walking to/from work from the train station, and the same from home to/from the train station instead of getting the bus etc... but no, I don't do any activities or go to the gym.

I know you have mentioned HIIT before to me, and that would be a good place to start but I am just a bit clueless really. I did Insanity for the best part of a month about 4 years ago, but found that quite intense at the time.

Insanity is pretty hard even if you're at peak fitness  ;D

I'd probably look at adding some proper exercise into things. Not only because it will increase your calorie deficit (so hopefully push you through the weight loss plateau you've hit) but you'll notice more changes in your body shape beyond the weight loss, which IMO is even more motivating than looking at numbers on a scale.

HIIT is pretty simple. Pick something you like doing - swimming, cycling, rowing, running, skipping, anything like that really, then do it absolutely flat out for a short period of time then at a very moderate pace for a bit longer whilst you recover, then repeat. The work out only needs to last a short period of time (20 mins or so) and done 3 or 4 times a week, so is easy to fit into a busy schedule.

So for example if you did running then you'd do a short warm up, then begin with say 20 second sprinting followed by 1 or 2 minutes walking (depending on your fitness, basically walk until you recover enough to go again). Repeat that 5-7 times and then do a short cool down. As you get fitter you can increase the flat out period, shorten the recovery period, or increase the intensity of your recover action (so jog rather than walk).

It's good as you don't need to go to a gym to do it. Can do it at home if have a running machine or bike/rower, or on the roads or local park, etc.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
well done claire

I have decided to use a step machine for a while http://www.pertrainer.com/Content/Images/StepMachine.jpg

20 mins yesterday i burned about 500 calories. doesnt hurt my back and burning a lot of calories. will be handy for days i cant do much in gym time wise

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
well done claire

I have decided to use a step machine for a while http://www.pertrainer.com/Content/Images/StepMachine.jpg

20 mins yesterday i burned about 500 calories. doesnt hurt my back and burning a lot of calories. will be handy for days i cant do much in gym time wise

That would be perfect for HIIT  ;)

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
That would be perfect for HIIT  ;)
id imagine it would given the calories burned

20 mins was enough. im sure i could extend that by christmas.

make room for some turkey

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Wouldn't need to extend the time on it, just throw in some as fast as possible 20 sexond intervals in there and a slower recovery period after.

Will sky rocket your calories burned (beware trusting what the machine says as never accurate)  as increases it after the workout has finished.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Wouldn't need to extend the time on it, just throw in some as fast as possible 20 sexond intervals in there and a slower recovery period after.

Will sky rocket your calories burned (beware trusting what the machine says as never accurate)  as increases it after the workout has finished.
good advice thanks

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Insanity is pretty hard even if you're at peak fitness  ;D

I'd probably look at adding some proper exercise into things. Not only because it will increase your calorie deficit (so hopefully push you through the weight loss plateau you've hit) but you'll notice more changes in your body shape beyond the weight loss, which IMO is even more motivating than looking at numbers on a scale.

HIIT is pretty simple. Pick something you like doing - swimming, cycling, rowing, running, skipping, anything like that really, then do it absolutely flat out for a short period of time then at a very moderate pace for a bit longer whilst you recover, then repeat. The work out only needs to last a short period of time (20 mins or so) and done 3 or 4 times a week, so is easy to fit into a busy schedule.

So for example if you did running then you'd do a short warm up, then begin with say 20 second sprinting followed by 1 or 2 minutes walking (depending on your fitness, basically walk until you recover enough to go again). Repeat that 5-7 times and then do a short cool down. As you get fitter you can increase the flat out period, shorten the recovery period, or increase the intensity of your recover action (so jog rather than walk).

It's good as you don't need to go to a gym to do it. Can do it at home if have a running machine or bike/rower, or on the roads or local park, etc.

OK, that sounds completely manageable - thanks a lot!

I'm going to give the running HIIT a go, exactly as you say - flat out sprinting for as long as I can manage, recovery period then go again and repeat 5-6 times.

Does this help build up your base fitness or is this more for burning off more calories over a shorter period of time? Like could this be incorporated into a Couch25k plan?

Thanks for your advice - I'm going to do this a few times this week.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
OK, that sounds completely manageable - thanks a lot!

I'm going to give the running HIIT a go, exactly as you say - flat out sprinting for as long as I can manage, recovery period then go again and repeat 5-6 times.

Does this help build up your base fitness or is this more for burning off more calories over a shorter period of time? Like could this be incorporated into a Couch25k plan?

Thanks for your advice - I'm going to do this a few times this week.

The Couch to 10k app I've seen in the past uses something similar to HIIT as the training method, although they do jogging/walking rather than flat out/walking.

HIIT will build up your endurance the same though, especially if you continue to increase the intensity as you go along, but will also burn additional calories.

If you're not absolutely fucked by the end then you've not pushed yourself enough  ;D

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan

Did you follow a cardio or weights plan?

I amm not sure what I do.
But I will tell you that when I am on the X Trainer or running machine - I am staring at the Calories. Nothing else.
I tend to do a little bit of each.
I don't want to be ripped necessarily, but I want to feel light and if I am honest have people say, you look well.

In fact I hate when people say, you have lost weight. Th ereactioin being - 'But I wasn't fat'.

PS. As stated above, 'Insanity' is extremely difficult and despite what they say - you do need your own area and space to do it.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Step machine.

Game I decided to play. Every song I had to do 350 steps. If I didn't then next song was 350+ whatever I didn't manage. If I didn't do 350 I had to go up a level.

Did 25 mins and 650 calories. Even my eyes were sweating

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I marginally changed my food habits and went back to practice boxing one or two times a week, and I'm losing 1kg/month, like clockwork. Already lost 8 kg (that's 17 lbs, 1.26 st), I'll see how far it gets me.

Basically, I just started to eat five to ten fruits or vegetables a day (2 at breakfast, 2 to 4 at lunch, 1 or 2 until dinner, and 1 or 2 at dinner), and quit junk food and drinking sodas alone. I never say no to a beer or a meal outside, and I don't go vomit if I eat a fat Sunday lunch with family. I just add fruits or vegetables to my regular homemade food, which can be very simple. To be fair, it seems a really sustainable change to my diet. I'm pretty fine with it.

From my short personal experience and what I could have read, it doesn't look like it takes much to lose some weight, and one doesn't need to suffer through a diet or hard physical activities. In fact, every time I try to go harder on running or boxing, I end up with injuries, probably because I'm still too fat and my body is too heavy. I'll wait for a few months, maybe a year, to go to full three-times a week regular training. I also try to walk as much as I can, but that's never more than 30 minutes a day - sadly.

So if like me some of you have been trying to lose weight on the stairmaster, ending up with you knees hurting like hell, take it easy, and don't hesitate to take the long road to lose moderate weight in a reasonable time frame with small, marginal changes :)

(I'm 6'4 and went from 17 to 15.75 st., heading toward 14 st. in a year.)
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fantastic Blinis, good luck.

I just wanted to report hitting 17 stone dead today having started 18 and a half stone in October. That was my pre-Christmas goal so any further loss before that eat-a-thon is a bonus. Next goal is 16 stone over the next few months.