Author Topic: The I'm a fat bastard and trying to lose weight thread aka JoeyC's skiving zone  (Read 481326 times)

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
I would suggest just doing an hour of weights (don't stand for 5 mins looking in the mirror or tweeting between sets!) and lose the weight my eating and (hate to admit it but you lot were right) use myfitnesspal.

So you would suggest it's more efficient to do more weights than cardio to lose weight and tone up a bit?
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So you would suggest it's more efficient to do more weights than cardio to lose weight and tone up a bit?

No I'd say it's more efficient to lose it by dieting, and doing the weights increases your metabolic rate so you burn more fat throughout the day, therefor making your calorie defecit easier to maintain :)

I tried it the cardio way, now I'm calorie counting and doing weights and its flying off (works for me anyway)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
was doing weights twice a week for most of the last year and it did help me to lose a lot of weight.

nice to break up the cardio too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
You burn more carbs when doing cardio than aerobic, so surely aerobic exercise is better for weight loss?  I think it's 50:50 carbs to fat for aerobic, and then the carb rate increases with effort.   You'll burn more calories with cardio, but you'll be hungrier as you'll need to replace the carbs, so longer periods of aerobic exercise will burn more fat.  E.g. If you burn 800 calories doing aerobic, then you'll have burned 400 calories of fat and carbs, but if you burn the same amount doing cardio, it'll be more like 600 carbs and 200 fat.

I do a lot of aerobic exercise alongside cardio to keep my weight down.  I know of other people who get less time to work out, and so they inevitably turn every session into cardio or higher intensity, and then they get really hungry afterwards and go overboard with the calories they "replace" and don't tend to lose weight.

EDIT:    By the way, what I mean by aerobic v cardio, is cardio being moderate intensity or above, with aerobic being low intensity to just below moderate.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:22:43 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Ive had to focus more on my weight lately as Ive just got a job and my BMI is required to be below 28. Im currently sitting at 27.6. Got a little down when they asked me to send in a doctors report stating I wasnt obese. Not usually one for all the selfies but started a program this time last year but couldnt afford to continue with it as it was expensive as hell. Anyway thought I should take a selfie to gauge where Im at between now and when I start in February. Dragged up the selfie I took at the beginning of the program I started last year and was a bit surprised at how far I had come in that time. Still plenty of work to be done but made me realise even though Ive only dropped a couple of kilos in that I time I have made progress.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Snip.

It looks like you've built up your muscles in the second photo, so don't worry too much about your BMI, as it will be skewed by muscle.  Many athletes would be considered obese if only considering BMI.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
It looks like you've built up your muscles in the second photo, so don't worry too much about your BMI, as it will be skewed by muscle.  Many athletes would be considered obese if only considering BMI.

Wasnt really too worried by my BMI until I was told I needed to be under 28 for employment. I have always thought it was a pretty poor way to gauge weight levels. I had thought Id remained pretty stagnant throughout the year though due to not eating too great. Was nice to see that I had in fact made a fair bit of progress and hopefully I can make a lot more between now and February.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What job requires you to have a lower BMI?

Mine is 28.5, so they wouldn't hire me. BMI says I'd be healthy at 8 stone 6lbs (119 lbs).

I'm 182lbs. 20% body fat. So I'd lose ALL my fat, and then what, muscle and fucking bone?!

Joke

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Apparently, Linford Christie was 'morbidly obese' under the BMI criteria.  It doesn't work.  I've lost 10kg, but my BMI hasn't really budged that much because of the extra muscle, but I know i'm in better shape. 

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
What job requires you to have a lower BMI?

Mine is 28.5, so they wouldn't hire me. BMI says I'd be healthy at 8 stone 6lbs (119 lbs).

I'm 182lbs. 20% body fat. So I'd lose ALL my fat, and then what, muscle and fucking bone?!

Joke

Emirates. They have been really strict on some of the criteria so I am unsure if being 'obese' in your BMI but being fit would be ok for the job or if this is another of their strict policies and they'll monitor my weight.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Emirates... says it all ;D

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
Been a long-time lurker in this thread but just wanted to say a big thank you to the contributors who have certainly inspired me the last few months.

After many false starts, some documented further back in this thread, I've just reached the 4 stone lost stage. I had a wake up call one day when I realised I was too knackered to play with my sons and just gave up eating so much crap, started walking a bit more and then went back to the gym. I was 21 stone then and I've just got to 17.

Not only has the weight started to come off but I'm starting to notice these lumps appearing when I tense my arms and I've got loads of lines in the backs of my hands I've not seen for years - someone said they're muscles and veins!

Still a way to go until I'm truly happy with myself but today feels like a big step. It doesn't feel like a diet anymore it just feels normal.

Thank you everyone.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
Been a long-time lurker in this thread but just wanted to say a big thank you to the contributors who have certainly inspired me the last few months.

After many false starts, some documented further back in this thread, I've just reached the 4 stone lost stage. I had a wake up call one day when I realised I was too knackered to play with my sons and just gave up eating so much crap, started walking a bit more and then went back to the gym. I was 21 stone then and I've just got to 17.

Not only has the weight started to come off but I'm starting to notice these lumps appearing when I tense my arms and I've got loads of lines in the backs of my hands I've not seen for years - someone said they're muscles and veins!

Still a way to go until I'm truly happy with myself but today feels like a big step. It doesn't feel like a diet anymore it just feels normal.

Thank you everyone.

Just having a flick through all the forums this morning and just seen this - that's an exceptional achievement- well done you should be extremely proud

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
well done phonic

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Congrats!  :D

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan

Thank you everyone.

Well done! Keep going lad.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

As I said, I'd have never have done it if it wasn't for some of the great advice and success stories in this thread so thanks for that too.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan

Thank you everyone.

Great work mate. awesome to hear stories like this.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Thank you everyone.

Fantastic mate.  I completely get your last point about it feeling normal and not like a diet; once you've got in the routine of eating well and exercising, it becomes the norm rather than a chore.  Diets are fads and don't work in the long term, so you've done the right thing changing your lifestyle.   

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
Got myself under the 90kg barrier for the first time since my foot break. Pretty happy. Wanting to hit 85kg before I head out for the new job.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Been a while since I was back in here. I was at or above 14 stone a couple of years ago and ended up getting down to 11. Unfortunately in the past 12/15 months I've gradually been piling the pounds back on and now I'm around about 13 again. It's incredibly demoralising but it's not as if I don't know why. I stopped finding time to go the gym for a start. I know dieting is more important than exercising for weight loss but I found that going the gym for an hour a day made me eat better so it was a good combination. Where some people will burn 750 calories in the gym and have a treat because they've done well I tend to think the opposite: If I've just worked out hard for an hour or so then I will not have a treat because it undoes the hard work.

Secondly I've been on some medication that does tend to make people gain weight. There have been times when my appetite has known no limits since I've been on them. I could have just devoured a huge meal with dessert then half an hour later I'll be starving again. I'm coming off the medication now which helps. Don't get me wrong my self-discipline has gone out of the window, I'm not making excuses by any means. But it's been a bit of a perfect storm by not working out, having a poorer diet and having no desire to change it. Now though my desire and hunger (pardon the pun :D) is back. I've just reached a point where I have to halt it now. I've been playing football weekly so in terms of fitness I'm not too bad and this week I've been for a couple of runs just to blow some cobwebs away.

I have a party 3 weeks today and I want to lose half a stone at least by then. When I diet I diet all out, running, no cheat meals or treats, lots of water and walking. So half a stone is manageable. Christmas is about 8 weeks away and I want to be as close to 11 stone as possible by then. If it was 10 weeks away I think I could do it but just over 3lbs a week to lose is asking plenty. So If I can be around 11'3/11'4 by then I'll be delighted. I just feel so happy that I have my motivation back. I've known for ages that the pounds have been creeping on but I've just been impassive about it. Now though I can't let it go and I'm determined to get the weight off, get fit and get confident again (I'm dodging social occasions because I feel so bad about myself).

I'm going to use this thread to document my progress as I did last time. Hopefully I'll be as successful as I have been before.

Just thought I'd update from here to keep a log. The target of 11'3/11'4 won't be reached but I've knocked the best part of a stone off and I can really tell. I didn't start dieting properly from when I said I would, I got the flu and a few things came up that made me not even think that I had to get fit again. But I eventually did start and I'm hovering just above 12st now. I know Christmas is upon us and many of us do put the timber on but I'm hoping to limit that as much as I can. I bought myself some new clothes last week and I'm into the waist size I always want to be and comfortably so at that.

Once the new year is here I've not got much going on so I can really focus on getting down towards the 11 stone mark. As long as Christmas doesn't get too wild and I can keep ticking over with exercise to take some calories back then I'll be ready in the new year to really kick on and hopefully by the end of February I'll be at my target.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Just thought I'd update from here to keep a log. The target of 11'3/11'4 won't be reached but I've knocked the best part of a stone off and I can really tell. I didn't start dieting properly from when I said I would, I got the flu and a few things came up that made me not even think that I had to get fit again. But I eventually did start and I'm hovering just above 12st now. I know Christmas is upon us and many of us do put the timber on but I'm hoping to limit that as much as I can. I bought myself some new clothes last week and I'm into the waist size I always want to be and comfortably so at that.

Once the new year is here I've not got much going on so I can really focus on getting down towards the 11 stone mark. As long as Christmas doesn't get too wild and I can keep ticking over with exercise to take some calories back then I'll be ready in the new year to really kick on and hopefully by the end of February I'll be at my target.

I've got a lot of clothes that don't fit now because I've lost so much weight.  I bought some new clothes in Sept, and again some of them are now too big - I've lost another 5kg since Sept...  It's something I never used to think about before I started running as I was always the same weight or thereabouts.  I'm going to hold off buying any new stuff until I know I'm not going to lose much more.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Went from 12 stone to 17.5 whilst I was at University and the year after, it's amazing how easy it is to slip when you simply don't pay attention to what you're eating. The wrong foods are deceptively high in calories, you can eat a pizza and that will be your calorie intake for the entire day.

Started eating low carb mid September and I've come down to under 14.5 stone now. I'll stress to anyone who wants to go the low carb route, you need to calorie count as well... I think it's a popular myth that you can 'eat what you want' whilst keeping your carbs low. The advantage of course is the feelings of hunger are heavily suppressed due to high fat intake. There's a handy calculator here actually http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I've come off my diet a few days ago with Christmas and my 30th on the horizon, though I'm petrified of what I'm eating - no bad thing I suppose.

The big push for 12 stone begins in the new year, though I'm a little worried about excess skin if I continue at the current pace. Is this avoidable?

I also have gained a lot of back pain recently, could this be down to weight loss (possible muscle loss in fact). I've in all honesty not had enough protein to counter this possibility.

:D

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Managed to put on 9lbs in the last 2 weeks ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Managed to put on 9lbs in the last 2 weeks ;D
Well done mate...must be lifting heavy in the gym.....oh hang on...wrong thread..... :P  ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Well done mate...must be lifting heavy in the gym.....oh hang on...wrong thread..... :P  ;D
he just cant poo enough
he just cant poo enough
all the things he eats and all the things he drinks
and he just cant poo enough
he just cant poo enough

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
he just cant poo enough
he just cant poo enough
all the things he eats and all the things he drinks
and he just cant poo enough
he just cant poo enough
:lmao

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Poor Jake. Gets loads of stick in here..mainly from me...he's a lovely lad too.

Go easy on the stuffing Xmas Day, lad....stuffing yer gob that is. ;)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Poor Jake. Gets loads of stick in here..mainly from me...he's a lovely lad too.

Go easy on the stuffing Xmas Day, lad....stuffing yer gob that is. ;)
yeah he seems like a good bloke. This thread is like a gym

Nothing in December. Bedlam in january

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh you guys... Now there's more of me to love ;d
Yeah we all say it every year but next year is the one for me..

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
Oh you guys... Now there's more of me to love ;d
Yeah we all say it every year but next year is the one for me..

Fuck it. Money where my mouth is this year. Im hitting 83kg by March. If I dont $50 to RAWK if I dont make it.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
yeah he seems like a good bloke. This thread is like a gym

Nothing in December. Bedlam in January
Everyone I know is a gym rat and some of my friends work in gyms too.

Everyone of them hates the the post Xmas period...loads of newbies hogging the weights and, benches and machines and for the PI's....loads of new inductions to do. ;D

I'm glad I don't train any more..

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Problem I have (apart from being a fat shite) is I've noone to train with so motivation for me is a combination of myself and this thread.

In better news, after a few post holiday poos, overall weight gain was 5lbs, not 9 ;D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Problem I have (apart from being a fat shite) is I've noone to train with so motivation for me is a combination of myself and this thread.

In better news, after a few post holiday poos, overall weight gain was 5lbs, not 9 ;D
so your not as full of shit as we thought? ;)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.

Get your fat arse out on your bike...lazy fucka.....got no shame lad....should be buff and ripped at your age...

Motivation enough.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Christ, I'm finding it difficult to get back to eating well after that week or two. 

Keep falling off the wagon far far too easily.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Christ, I'm finding it difficult to get back to eating well after that week or two. 

Keep falling off the wagon far far too easily.
Show some self control then. A little bit of discipline wouldn't go amiss here, la.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
The best way not to eat shite is not to buy it in the first place.  Stock your fridge and cupboards with good food and give away the other stuff. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
yeah get some healthier stuff in

our cupboard was loaded with crisps and chocolates etc. weve just stored it away elsewhere now and kept a list of when its out of date. its sealed up in the attic now. kept away far enough