Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 837764 times)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2600 on: June 10, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »
Talking of ladders, this shouldn't be in here because it's not Liverpool, but I was a bit shocked to see that this was still normal in the 70s... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YFCJETmwI
Aye. Big cajones needed there.

Very similar to a youtube clip of Fred  Dibnah I posted last year.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2601 on: June 10, 2017, 05:59:22 pm »
Talking of ladders, this shouldn't be in here because it's not Liverpool, but I was a bit shocked to see that this was still normal in the 70s... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YFCJETmwI
No, just fucking no! Made my bollocks go horrible watching that :(

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2602 on: June 10, 2017, 06:25:24 pm »
Height of that ladder!
Not a fkin chance I would be as daft as the fella that's climbed up there!
I've been up a set of 22 foot ladders, fully extended. It's alright when you're young...close to 50 foot up.

On one job in John Hamilton school on Breckfield Road in the 70's I was up them and the lad footing them got off and the ladder slipped, I had to climb off and stand on this brick width ledge holding onto  the window on the top floor till he come back...looking back now it was a bit dangerous, back then I wasn't even bothered. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2603 on: June 10, 2017, 06:29:40 pm »
Climbed to the top of the derrick on this too...took about 15 minutes.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2604 on: June 10, 2017, 06:37:34 pm »
I've been up a set of 22 foot ladders, fully extended. It's alright when you're young...close to 50 foot up.

On one job in John Hamilton school on Breckfield Road in the 70's I was up them and the lad footing them got off and the ladder slipped, I had to climb off and stand on this brick width ledge holding onto  the window on the top floor till he come back...looking back now it was a bit dangerous, back then I wasn't even bothered. ;D

I was an apprentice painter for the corpy when I was 16, used to paint the street fixtures, lamposts etc, be about 30ft up on some. Like you say as a kid you didn't care, ladder would be resting against a bit of metal about 3 inches across and I'd just run up with my tin of paint. To paint the bit the ladder was resting on I'd just pull the ladder back, then quick paint as it fell back.

When I started in tool hire in 1988, used to regularly deliver rope operated treble 20ft ladders, they weighed a ton, took 3 or 4 men to stand up and raise - its all alloy towers and hydraulic lifts now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2605 on: June 10, 2017, 07:39:27 pm »
Aye. Big cajones needed there.

Very similar to a youtube clip of Fred  Dibnah I posted last year.

Just watched some of those, fucking hell! He makes it look so easy too. :o
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2606 on: June 10, 2017, 07:54:55 pm »
I was an apprentice painter for the corpy when I was 16, used to paint the street fixtures, lamposts etc, be about 30ft up on some. Like you say as a kid you didn't care, ladder would be resting against a bit of metal about 3 inches across and I'd just run up with my tin of paint. To paint the bit the ladder was resting on I'd just pull the ladder back, then quick paint as it fell back.

When I started in tool hire in 1988, used to regularly deliver rope operated treble 20ft ladders, they weighed a ton, took 3 or 4 men to stand up and raise - its all alloy towers and hydraulic lifts now.
It's boss being young and stupid. ;D

I was on this site sandblasting in 77, I think. I climbed up to the top off the gaff  and shouted down to turn the machine on and I pointed the blaster at the walll and the scaffolding moved away from the wall as it started to blast...fucking scaffolding wasn't attached to building. ;D

Had a few bevvies working on there too...

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2607 on: June 10, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
It's boss being young and stupid. ;D

I was on this site sandblasting in 77, I think. I climbed up to the top off the gaff  and shouted down to turn the machine on and I pointed the blaster at the walll and the scaffolding moved away from the wall as it started to blast...fucking scaffolding wasn't attached to building. ;D

Had a few bevvies working on there too...

So that was what Banksy drew....a pic of you working on the building. :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2608 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
So that was what Banksy drew....a pic of you working on the building. :P
We all know I'm a cool cat. ;D

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2609 on: June 10, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
The crazy things you used to do eh..

Highest & daftest height i have done off a ladder was 3rd storey replacing old cast gutters..insane when i think back,especially when the ladders were wooden & the fecking thing was practically vertical nearing the top.
One of my brothers done stupid heights window cleaning too..mist have been about 50ft up & bounced the ladder to the next bay without being footed..bonkers.

Here is a vid for the squeamish..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/2A_h2AjJaMw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/2A_h2AjJaMw</a>
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: June 10, 2017, 10:21:44 pm »
Bet you were the ones who climbed on the thinnest branches imaginable to retrieve a stuck ball up a huge tree or to get some eggs out of a nest

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2611 on: June 11, 2017, 12:17:52 am »
Bet you were the ones who climbed on the thinnest branches imaginable to retrieve a stuck ball up a huge tree or to get some eggs out of a nest

Yes, I remember those days..

On the afternoon of the day of my FHC back in '62 I was dared by an older lad (who has since rightly served time for being one of the UK's most prolific illegal egg collectors) to climb a tree up the stream off Deysbrook round the back of Longley's to look inside a nest.

I got to the nest probably about 30ft up, which was stale, and as I descended, a branch I was holding onto snapped and I fell about 20 feet through the branches flaying one of my thighs (I was only wearing shorts) and landing with a thump, blood everywhere though fortunately no broken bones, and a subsequent trip to Alder Hey for a clean up and tetanus injections.

I didn't have the nerve to tell my Mum what had actually happened but instead concocted a story about falling into some rusty barbed wire which she still believed until her death a few years ago aged 92.

I'm still dangerously ok with heights, I've been up on the roof and done various chimney stacks and roof slates and gutters on houses we've lived in over the years, but these days wifey really doesn't like me even going up just a few feet on a step ladder. I recovered the roof of our utility room extension just a couple of years ago and she was really concerned and I was only about 12 feet up.

To be fair, once you get over 50, you're sense of balance just isn't what it was when you were younger so the risk of accident does increase, and I do recognise that.

Also, we knew a couple a few years ago and the husband, he was only 66 and still very physically active, fell off a ladder while putting up decorations in a Church hall and died as a result. It was not nice.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2612 on: June 11, 2017, 10:00:00 am »
When we were kids we had a swing in the back of a garden we played. to use it you had to climb above the branch were it was tied onto...t was about 40 foot up, we went another 15/20 above it and jumped off and obviously the rope and yourself would free fall until the rope snapped out and you's start swinging...I and my mates are always amazed we made it out of our teen years.

I've never had a problem with endangering myself...just a couple of weeks back I descended off the Snake Pass on my bike and touched 64 mph...life's more fun when there's a frisson of danger attached to it. ;D

That said...I slipped in the shower a bit back and broke two ribs and stretched my ankle ligaments and was unable to walk...I don't wanna die in a shower accident!!  Make it something worthy of a skald's words.  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2613 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13:07 pm »

There was a wood by ours and there was a bit of a cliff and about a 20 ft drop. One night we piled a load of hay from the farmers field at the bottom and jumped off into it. It looked a lot more scary the next day in daylight.

One day I was up this tree, about 20-25 ft and I heard a loud crack and a flash of colour whizzed past me. Looked down and our kid is lying on his back on the river bank - legs down and he's ok, just a bit winded and a few cuts and bruises luckily. Gets home, my parents had split up but my Dad was there for some reason. Tells me Ma and me Dad starts having a go at me and our kid, he could have ended up in a wheelchair, my reply, there wasn't any wheel chairs there.

I'm now 50 and have two kids of 6 and 8, I've had a few friends and workmates around my age die, so I'm a lot more aware of my mortality, so take things a lot easier, but both me and our kid still ride motorbikes, although I ride a lot more defensively these days (due to the wifes worrying about me)

You look back and wonder how you made it to this age, I've skydived, rode a bike at almost 170mph, welded a no smoking sign to an LPG cage, done some scary close quarter scenario training with handguns and shotguns using live ammo, done loads of stupid stuff you just wonder why, yet its a buzz you need. The wife, since we have had kids, has developed a fear of flying, she used to have a passport Judith Chalmers would be proud of. When there is turbulence, she sits there terrified, I've got the kids laughing and enjoying it. Came into Manchester wednesday, 747 was bouncing about and then when we landed it went into a massive weave, sliding from side to side and shaking like fuck, I loved it, although it lost some of its fun when we had to start passing sick bags about as the kids all started puking up.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
Weird. Never had a fear of heights, as kids we got up to the usual, climbing all over factory roofs etc then in my work climb ladders on roofs, never had a problem, quite relaxed with heights until took my lad the Grand Canyon a few years back and his disdain for danger is only matched by his climbing ability, He's scrambling about on ledges with thousand foot drops, winding me up. Short of it, really started to frighten me and I never enjoyed it. I'm still relaxed on roofs and ladders but started getting scared on exposed heights, that I never was before. Noticed it scrambling up Jakes Rake which I'd done before totally OK in winter, went up it a few years ago and was really aware how exposed it was and never enjoyed it, was with mates so did it, but for the first time was aware that there was a problem with exposed heights. On the Cuiling Ridge in Skye a few weeks ago, and enjoyed the day but never enjoyed the exposed parts and was quite scared, and realised I enjoy walking more than the scrambles where you're exposed. It's like I've learnt to be frightened of exposed heights, no problem no matter how high if I'm harnessed or on a rope
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2615 on: June 11, 2017, 06:37:39 pm »
We've all gone soft, I'll admit my part in that, parachuting aside my head for heights does not function.

See which of the below shrivels your gronads (for those in possession)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:39:38 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2616 on: June 12, 2017, 10:40:21 pm »
Manx Airlines 1980's

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2617 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:24 pm »

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2618 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »
Our house is on the airport one. Meredith st. John Meredith's grapes were eaten by the Pope. Double entendre time!. Vineyard street with the ralla behind it.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2619 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
Looks like it's under construction so early 1930s , went from there on my first lads holiday in 1980 with JWT tours to benalmadena with the old one year passport .

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2620 on: June 30, 2017, 01:56:53 pm »

I turned off when he got to the plinth.

Who needs Health and Safety, hey?

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2621 on: June 30, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »
Pretty sure this is Abercromby square & i think it is taken from the side which is now the University library?
Looking at the gardens it seems to be..

Stanley park boating lake brings back memories..

What could have been.. :'(

Noakes inspired..

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2622 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:37 pm »
Pretty sure this is Abercromby square & i think it is taken from the side which is now the University library?

I reckon you're correct about that.

Great pictures!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: June 30, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »
That is correct,so that is some time after 1951

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:56:03 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2624 on: June 30, 2017, 07:56:30 pm »
Cheers.

A few more here..

London road..that statue disappeared or relocated,memory failing me it seems familiar.

Not seen this before..

Another at the Uni which shows why there is a weight restriction in these areas.
Note prior to the Electrical Engineering building construction.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2625 on: June 30, 2017, 08:40:42 pm »
Abercromby square looking towards where the library is now.

Love this one..

Queens drive flyover under construction..

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2626 on: June 30, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
London road..that statue disappeared or relocated,memory failing me it seems familiar. 

Nope. Statue is still there, although the horse and rider haven't much changed, the plinth is in a poor condition these days, with all or most of the bronze lettering missing from the inscription on the sides.

Another at the Uni which shows why there is a weight restriction in these areas.
Note prior to the Electrical Engineering building construction.

Yep. The railway cutting that's being covered over is the Edge Hill to Lime Street main railway line.

That's why there is an open plan plaza  in front of The Augustus John, so there is no weight over the capping.

Correct. Before the new university buildings were built, There was a row of Georgian terraces, and a church, St. Catherine's on the site.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2627 on: July 1, 2017, 10:19:45 am »
Cheers Richie,i drive past that almost every day too.  :-[
Can only offer i have seen something alike.

Further interest & reading i come across this fantastic piece on Yo.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?3906-ABERCROMBY-SQUARE

Some big names lived in the square.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2628 on: July 3, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
A few more..

Some may remember doing this..

The Berni Inn.. :D
Quick Lunch only £3.50.. :o

« Last Edit: July 3, 2017, 08:17:23 pm by Medellin »

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: July 3, 2017, 08:32:51 pm »
Berni inn.  :D

Did you notice that the gangplank to the ferry is going up-hill, the tide overlapping the quay, and the sandbags in the doorways,  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2630 on: July 3, 2017, 08:42:28 pm »

Did you notice that the gangplank to the ferry is going up-hill, the tide overlapping the quay, and the sandbags in the doorways,  :D

And that a quick lunch is £3.50, seems quite expensive.

Anyway, probably quick because of need to get itdown you before being be swept away by the river.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2631 on: July 3, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »

I initially thought they were just sheltering from the rain.  :D
Things never change..lads with both hands down his bollocks..another glued to the fone..

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2632 on: July 3, 2017, 08:55:40 pm »
This is what you were referring to Richie..

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2633 on: July 4, 2017, 12:39:55 pm »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: July 4, 2017, 10:16:14 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jul/04/unbuilt-liverpool-city-might-have-been-in-pictures

This may be of interest.

I like the cathedral design, but the one that did get built looks unique.

Hated the cloud then, still hate the design now - pray that it never gets built.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: July 4, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »
The viaduct thing looks cool. Don't totally get how it would have worked in practice, I like the drawing but can't quite picture the reality

I know everyone hated it but I think I might have preferred the cloud to what they've actually built around Mann Island, the black monoliths and the building in front of the three graces. At least it would have been a unique building for Liverpool rather than most of what has been built which is identikit stuff and could be anywhere.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2637 on: July 16, 2017, 07:02:32 pm »
Bommie night.
So many memories as a kid,collecting wood,the injuries,the tribal wars defending your wood..jacket spuds,singed hair..
Love this foto.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2638 on: July 16, 2017, 07:17:26 pm »
That's some capture that mate. Brilliant.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2639 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:43 pm »
Cheers John.
Another i found in Myrtle Gardens around 1979 showing a familiar sight which seemed to happen every year..rain!

Getting a fire going in the rain was difficult,we used to get the wirey ginger mattress filler to start ours-worked a treat every time.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10348949.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/h_00571019.jpg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:36:45 pm by Medellin »