Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1761320 times)

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11400 on: February 26, 2020, 01:33:57 am »
<a href="http://img][/img" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://img][/img</a>
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11401 on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:16 am »
^
Second attempt.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11402 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:10 am »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11403 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:30 am »
Well thank fuck for that.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11404 on: February 26, 2020, 01:44:04 am »
And for all you arl arses who see Emlyn Hughes on there he did join in '67 but she unpicked someone elses name and sewn Emlyn's name in. She knitted it when we won the League in 1963 and still wears it to the match .

Get onto the Saint bit on the bottom right .
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:48:38 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #11405 on: February 26, 2020, 02:18:40 am »

Just a heads up, clicking on this reroutes the tab to an ad and then opens up the image in a new tab.

Imgur is usually a safer bet against stuff like that than postimage in my experience.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11406 on: February 26, 2020, 05:16:14 am »
A thing of beauty that kesey :)

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #11407 on: February 26, 2020, 05:55:30 am »
Love that scarf Kesey. Every thread will be full of memories.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #11408 on: February 26, 2020, 06:29:12 am »
As has ever been the case going right back to the early '60's when the whole fan singing/chanting culture began on the Kop, the reality is that in frustrating low key 'expect to win' games such as Monday night, the Anfield crowd turns up when it is needed - which, as stated by Klopp and Alexander Arnold after the game and evidenced by myself, occurred last night when we went 2-1 down.

And that is all that matters.

It baffles me that there are some posters on here who don't seem able to grasp that basic reality of the Anfield crowd.

They somehow seem to believe that an Inter Milan/St Etienne/Chelsea 05/Barca level atmosphere or even something remotely approaching such levels is possible at run of the mill games such as last night. It simply isn't and never has been. In lower key games Anfield responds to the circumstances of the game in the organic manner it always has done and hopefully always will do. If the circumstances demand it then the Anfield crowd delivers. 

And last night was no exception to this Anfield rule.

Fact was it was pretty damn good once we went 2-1 down. And to be fair it was nowhere near its quietest before then either. Not saying it was loud or buzzing - but dismissing those who were doing the singing and chanting and attempting to make some noise prior to the 2-1 turning point simply because the bulk of the crowd prior to then were not in 'big European night ' mood and joining in en masse is way out of order as far as I'm concerned.

Those guys - including myself and others around me in the main Stand - were giving it a decent go and we got our reward when many more joined in after West Ham scored their second to give the team the increased vocal encouragement it needed to spur it on to go on and win the game - as Kloppie and Trent alluded to in their post match interviews.

And that, for all you moaning fucking ninnies on here, is the object of the fucking exercise. Job fucking done.

Everyone seems to be caught up in our own mythos - so to speak.
:D

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11409 on: February 26, 2020, 07:34:46 am »
As has ever been the case going right back to the early '60's when the whole fan singing/chanting culture began on the Kop, the reality is that in frustrating low key 'expect to win' games such as Monday night, the Anfield crowd turns up when it is needed - which, as stated by Klopp and Alexander Arnold after the game and evidenced by myself, occurred last night when we went 2-1 down.

It baffles me that there are some posters on here who don't seem able to grasp that basic reality of the Anfield crowd.

They somehow seem to believe that an Inter Milan/St Etienne/Chelsea 05/Barca level atmosphere or even something remotely approaching such levels is possible at run of the mill games such as last night. It simply isn't and never has been. In lower key games Anfield responds to the circumstances of the game in the organic manner it always has done and hopefully always will do. If the circumstances demand it then the Anfield crowd delivers. 

Fact was it was pretty damn good once we went 2-1 down. And to be fair it was nowhere near its quietest before then either. Not saying it was loud or buzzing - but dismissing those who were doing the singing and chanting and attempting to make some noise prior to the 2-1 turning point simply because the bulk of the crowd prior to then were not in 'big European night ' mood and joining in en masse is way out of order as far as I'm concerned.

Those guys - including myself and others around me in the main Stand - were giving it a decent go and we got our reward when many more joined in after West Ham scored their second to give the team the increased vocal encouragement it needed to spur it on to go on and win the game - as Kloppie and Trent alluded to in their post match interviews.

And that, for all you moaning fucking ninnies on here, is the object of the fucking exercise. Job fucking done.

True.. But 'kloppie'... Christ. I thought 'the Ev' was bad enough....
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11410 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:22 am »
True.. But 'kloppie'... Christ. I thought 'the Ev' was bad enough....

Do us a fucking favour pal. If I like calling him fucking Kloppie then fuck any fucker who don't like it including your presumably roadender goodfuckingself

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11411 on: February 26, 2020, 10:38:51 am »
Everyone seems to be caught up in our own mythos - so to speak.

Exactly. Mythos. Nice one Kashie. I think Kloppie would concur don't you agree Roadie.   ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11412 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:16 am »

I know your ma. Or at least I remember her scarf or one like it from many yonks ago. Ask her if she used to go on Lawrenson's coaches to the away games in the mid '60's. Is her name Sheila?

;D

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #11413 on: February 26, 2020, 10:42:52 am »
Only watched it over a stream, but to echo what one or two others mentioned, it came over as very loud after we went 2-1 down with both the commentators mentioning it. They even put down Fabianski's fumble for Salah's goal to the additional pressure of playing in front of a rowdy kop (then again it might just be because he's shite!).

It might not have been so loud first half, but I was surprised when I came on here and everyone was saying it was shite. I agree what people are saying in that you might hope for bit more of a celebratory carnival atmosphere against these sorts of opponents considering the position we are in, away from a purely partisan one. But as Timbo said, it was there when needed.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11414 on: February 26, 2020, 10:44:33 am »
Do us a fucking favour pal. If I like calling him fucking Kloppie then fuck any fucker who don't like it including your presumably roadender goodfuckingself

😂😂😂😂😂
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11415 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »
All of us "older" (ahem) brethren need to build up a "take yer old scarf to the title day", you never know, it might just catch on. Thirty years people, and the crowd should reflect what we've been thro since 1990, it should be a sea of Red announcing the return of the much feared Red Machine. What's that banner say? "Wear Red and sing their praises"?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:25:25 pm by Gladbach73 »
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11416 on: February 26, 2020, 02:27:25 pm »
Only watched it over a stream, but to echo what one or two others mentioned, it came over as very loud after we went 2-1 down with both the commentators mentioning it. They even put down Fabianski's fumble for Salah's goal to the additional pressure of playing in front of a rowdy kop (then again it might just be because he's shite!).

It might not have been so loud first half, but I was surprised when I came on here and everyone was saying it was shite. I agree what people are saying in that you might hope for bit more of a celebratory carnival atmosphere against these sorts of opponents considering the position we are in, away from a purely partisan one. But as Timbo said, it was there when needed.

I genuinely think these posters come on here just to wind me up.

;D

Which to be fair doesn't take much when they're criticising our incredible Anfield crowd. I notice that whenever I respond with a logical and considered and 100% accurate post which blows their moaning and whining clean out of the water, they never come back on to say how fucking way out of order and mistaken they were.

And then a few weeks later after my masseur has worked her magic and I've taken my meds and chilled a bit and it's time for the next 'gimme' game amidst another slightly subdued atmosphere against run of the mill resolutely defending opponents they are back the next day spouting the same shite about how crap the atmosphere was. Solely to wind me up again.

And so it goes on.

;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11417 on: February 26, 2020, 02:34:44 pm »
There’s a secret sub-forum called “How can we wind Timbo up this week, the arl get“

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11418 on: February 26, 2020, 02:51:23 pm »
There’s a secret sub-forum called “How can we wind Timbo up this week, the arl get“

;D

Ha ha. Is that similar to your one Misty lad?

;D

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11419 on: February 26, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
All of us "older" (ahem) brethren need to build up a "take yer old scarf to the title day", you never know, it might just catch on. Thirty years people, and the crowd should reflect what we've been thro since 1990, it should be a sea of Red announcing the return of the much feared Red Machine. What's that banner say? "Wear Red and sing their praises"?

I love this. I haven't worn a scarf to the game since around 1994. But the idea of digging out the scarf I had as 10 year old from the 1990 season feels really fitting.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11420 on: February 26, 2020, 03:58:00 pm »
Ha ha. Is that similar to your one Misty lad?

;D
;D  yeah, except mine’s just called ‘the half time thread’.

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11421 on: February 26, 2020, 04:35:01 pm »
I know your ma. Or at least I remember her scarf or one like it from many yonks ago. Ask her if she used to go on Lawrenson's coaches to the away games in the mid '60's. Is her name Sheila?

;D

Her name is Lizzie or Betty . I think possibly her best mate was Sheila . Will ask but I reckon she use to go on Home James in Picton or possibly that was me Da '.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11422 on: February 26, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
A thing of beauty that kesey :)
Love that scarf Kesey. Every thread will be full of memories.

Cheers. People reckon it belongs in the museum at Anfield. She is actually on telly wearing it at Porto away last year wearing it and at the Barca home leg singing You'll Never Walk Alone with it.

70 years of age and still bouncing.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11423 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »
Her mates name was Julie and deffo Home James was the company they travelled with. She's just told us how the wore red trousers at every game with their scarfs on. They use to wait for the players to get off the coach at every away. She says that at one away Shanks tapped Bob on the shoulder and says  ' There's the girls again '.

A proud Son speaking here .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11424 on: February 26, 2020, 05:23:29 pm »
Take no notice of this Timbo fella.

Everyone knows that in the 70s and 80s we'd start singing an hour before kick-off then sang right through until 10 minutes after the game ended.

And oh, no one in the stands ever got off early either.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11425 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:43 pm »

Everyone knows that in the 70s and 80s we'd start singing an hour before kick-off then sang right through until 10 minutes after the game ended.

Ah the good old days, although one or two did try and sneak out from the Kemlyn Road to the refrain of 'Sit down you bums'.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11426 on: February 26, 2020, 06:04:40 pm »
I hope we clinch the vital points at Anfield - especially for the younger supporters who've never seen us win the Title. The day will live forever in their memories if we do that. I was there for Leicester in '73 and West Ham in '77 and both were poor quality games (both 0-0 I think). But it didn't matter. What lives in the memory, very very powerfully, are the closing moments in each match as we zeroed in on the Title and the Kop and Anfield just became electrified by this incredible current. Those who experience this this time round will be fortunate indeed, especially if it's their first time.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11427 on: February 26, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
Please god Yorkie. Fuck winning it elsewhere, I want to be there at Anfield in person when do it!

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11428 on: February 26, 2020, 09:54:01 pm »
I love this. I haven't worn a scarf to the game since around 1994. But the idea of digging out the scarf I had as 10 year old from the 1990 season feels really fitting.

Absol-bloody-lutely, let's make the title day, a sea of Red, to quote Shanks, "Not even Chairman Mao has ever seen such a show of Red Strength"
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11429 on: February 27, 2020, 12:24:40 am »

Ha ha. Also don't forget everyone in the Main Stand and Kemlyn holding up their flasks and doing the conga at half time.

;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:29:58 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11430 on: February 27, 2020, 12:29:24 am »
Her mates name was Julie and deffo Home James was the company they travelled with. She's just told us how the wore red trousers at every game with their scarfs on. They use to wait for the players to get off the coach at every away. She says that at one away Shanks tapped Bob on the shoulder and says  ' There's the girls again '.

A proud Son speaking here .

Hardly any girls used to go back then so our paths must have crossed at those mid '60's away games and I can deffo recall a scarf like your mam's. Did your mum or Julie have shoulder length blonde hair? Not many girls were blonde back then so it sticks in the memory.

Timbo the pervo!!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11431 on: February 27, 2020, 12:33:34 am »
Ha ha. Also don't forget everyone in the Main Stand and Kemlyn holding up their flasks and doing the conga at half time.

;D

;D

I believe it was a condition of entry to the Main Stand back then that you brought a flask. Just like you had to bring a milk crate to stand on at the front of the Kop if you were a youngster.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #11432 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:18 am »

I still wear the scarf my Mum knitted for me in 1971 (at least in the winter). It's got cloth badges for Wembley 74 and Rome 77, plus the UEFA Cup/ League double in 1976 on it. It's seen me through an awful lot of Liverpool games. Will defo have it on for the title celebrations (touch wood - not that I'm superstitious)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11433 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:10 am »
I hope we clinch the vital points at Anfield - especially for the younger supporters who've never seen us win the Title. The day will live forever in their memories if we do that. I was there for Leicester in '73 and West Ham in '77 and both were poor quality games (both 0-0 I think). But it didn't matter. What lives in the memory, very very powerfully, are the closing moments in each match as we zeroed in on the Title and the Kop and Anfield just became electrified by this incredible current. Those who experience this this time round will be fortunate indeed, especially if it's their first time.

Been saying the same things myself, but I've been lucky to see decent wins. My first was 79 v Villa, old paddock, Barney scored after 43 seconds. Remember queuing for hours to get in the Kop for the Spurs game in 82 - pay on the gate for a title decider!!! - bouncing like mad when Lawro equalised then Kenny scored and Ronnie wrapped it up, the Kop being rammed for Villa and Avi Cohen scoring for both teams etc etc. I really want those who have never experienced it to see it at Anfield.

One thing I always wondered was, there was a bunch of lads in front of us in the Spurs queue that went down the alley where the Kop joined the Main, they were messing about and at about just before 1, one lad got knocked out of line by his mates and when he tried to get back in, this bizzie on a horse said he was bunking in and threw him to the back of the queue, even thought we all told the c*nt this lad had been there since about half 11. Poor lad was in tears (the queue reached the King Harry by then by the look of it). Did he ever get in?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline vblfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11434 on: February 27, 2020, 09:50:07 am »
I still wear the scarf my Mum knitted for me in 1971 (at least in the winter). It's got cloth badges for Wembley 74 and Rome 77, plus the UEFA Cup/ League double in 1976 on it. It's seen me through an awful lot of Liverpool games. Will defo have it on for the title celebrations (touch wood - not that I'm superstitious)
Needs a thread of its own - post pictures of your homemade scarf  :D

Offline vblfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11435 on: February 27, 2020, 10:03:34 am »

I like how you describe this Timbo and hadn't thought it out just like that. I agree that showing up when you have to is better than a continuous ultra style drone.  The challenge (which I think Klopp has recognised early and managed well) is to not let a quieter day cause the fans to give up when we go behind in the lower matches or check out early if behind or it is close. 
Think we became a bit passive or lethargic over a period and needed a few reminders like the WBA thing. More a keep believing when in trouble thing I suppose

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #11436 on: February 27, 2020, 10:04:04 am »
Yeah, reading all these posts has got me thinking about taking mine to the last home game for the first time for 20 odd years.. maybe it's something we can get going for the last home game, similar to the flag days.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11437 on: February 27, 2020, 11:01:38 am »
Yeah, reading all these posts has got me thinking about taking mine to the last home game for the first time for 20 odd years.. maybe it's something we can get going for the last home game, similar to the flag days.

I bought a scarf a couple of years ago before the Dortmund 4-3 game. First one I'd bought in years. I wore it when I went the games after and, from memory, we were undefeated when I wore it the game. Last year my dad for one reason and another ended up in intensive care, about 4 days before the European cup final. I was going off to Madrid for the final [I'd ummed and aahed about going given his condition, but as he's a massive red and indeed the reason I am - I decided he'd obviously want me to go] so I left the scarf with him on his bed for the final. We all know how the final went. Dad got a lot better over the summer, came out of ICU and he's back home doing grand now [like a cockroach my dad I swear, borderline un-killable].

Earlier this year I'd been looking for the scarf before games and couldn't find it [I'd forgotten I'd given it him]. We still won the games I went to though so it became less of a 'thing' that I had to wear it to games. Then over christmas he tried to give it me back when I was at his house, and I remembered where and when I'd given it him, and that it wasn't lost in the pile of coats and stuff at my house at all. I was about to leave his house with it and thought - fuck me since he's had this scarf we've won the european cup and gone unbeaten in the league, he's got to keep it. So I left it with him. We've been doing alright since, and dad's well too.

They're just bits of cotton/wool/whatever aren't they...but they're kind of a lot more than that too. My dad's days of coming anfield are probably gone now, so I'm not sure if/when that scarf might make it's way back to Anfield. It might be better where it is anyway.

3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline lfc1

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11438 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:25 am »
The woman steward at the back of 305 killed the atmosphere on Monday (in that area anyway). She was unnecessarily aggressive and moved all the regulars that normally stand there.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11439 on: February 27, 2020, 11:44:30 am »

Good stuff Zep. I had a fantastic big long all red scarf which my mam knitted for me when Shanks changed our kit to all red. It almost qualified as a blanket. Wore it all the time. Even in bed. Lost it in Dortmund in 2001 when it was 36 years old. Not sure how. My sister replaced it for the following season with a shorter all red version which I still wear but must admit I do only tend to wear it for the big games now. Not sure why. Certainly not to be cool or owt. I just don't think on at the ordinary games to take it. Maybe I should wear it for every game. My mates who I go with still all wear a scarf. Nice memory just occurred to me with all the talk of scarfs of years ago when loads used to wear their red and white or blue and white bar scarves to school to proudly show their allegiance. Happy days.