Author Topic: Damaged TV options  (Read 1629 times)

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Damaged TV options
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:32 am »
I ordered and received a 75 inch Hisenese TV from from AO.com last Saturday.

We paid for the packaging to be taken away so the delivery drivers placed the tv in our sofa and left.

Within an hour or so my brother in law had the tv up on a wall bracket. As soon as we turned it on we noticed around a 1 inch black semi circle on the top right of the tv. At first we thought it may be some protective wrapping and a bubble but we checked and it is definitely the screen that is damaged. It is even noticeable when the tv is turned off but we honestly didn’t notice this when it was delivered. My brother in law is a builder/general handy man so was extremely careful with the tv so we are almost certain this damage was present upon delivery.

We got in touch with AO who passed us on to the manufacturer, they have just got back in touch by email and say that they can’t do anything as physical damage is not covered by the warranty, and have asked me to get in touch with a repair place!

Where do I stand? I don’t expect to buy a £1500 tv with a defect and then be the one that has to pay to get it repaired!

A bit annoyed to be honest!

https://ibb.co/fxZjuJ
https://ibb.co/mVJYod
https://ibb.co/iSf2gy

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Damaged TV options
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »
It’s definately AO’s responsibility to resolve. Unless they switched it on upon delivery and asked you to confirm that it was in a satisfactory condition then they don’t have a leg to stand on. It’s arrived damaged.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »
It’s definately AO’s responsibility to resolve. Unless they switched it on upon delivery and asked you to confirm that it was in a satisfactory condition then they don’t have a leg to stand on. It’s arrived damaged.

Nope, wasn’t turned in or tested etc. Literally the delivery guys took it out, put it down on sofa and left!

Will get back in touch with AO then!!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:15:55 pm »
Yeah definitely. Consider Social Media channels as well. Someone on the phone may fob you off but publicly they don’t want to look bad.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:17:05 pm »
Yeah definitely. Consider Social Media channels as well. Someone on the phone may fob you off but publicly they don’t want to look bad.

Didn’t think about that! Will get the misses to give them a call first, no one messes with her haha

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
Can't believe they referred you to the Manufacturer!  Your contract is with AO and it is their responsibility to replace the tv.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »
Can't believe they referred you to the Manufacturer!  Your contract is with AO and it is their responsibility to replace the tv.

I was a bit surprised to be honest! And it’s taken nearly a week just to get to this stage!

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:28:00 pm »
Under the Consumer Rights Act the responsibility falls with the retailer first and foremost.

Under this act they have the required to provide goods that are of satisfactory quality, which includes not being damaged if they are sold as new, and clearly in this case they failed to do so.

You have the right to reject these goods and get a full refund as long as you do so within the first 30 day after purchase (or delivery when it comes to online purchases).

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 12:32:04 pm »
Under the Consumer Rights Act the responsibility falls with the retailer first and foremost.

Under this act they have the required to provide goods that are of satisfactory quality, which includes not being damaged if they are sold as new, and clearly in this case they failed to do so.

You have the right to reject these goods and get a full refund as long as you do so within the first 30 day after purchase (or delivery when it comes to

Nice one, cheers for the info!

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 12:34:43 pm »
I imagine their argument will be that it was damaged after it was delivered, but I think they'd have to prove their delivery drivers didn't do this whilst they were offering a service they provide (removing the packaging). Given they didn't test the TV, and given this would not have been obvious until it was tested, I fail to see how they can say it was delivered in working order.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 03:12:02 pm »
I've made a fair few complaints in my time. In the last 2 years, I now go to the top of the company which can generally be done in 1 of 2 ways. On Twitter which will to the companies head office or by e-mailing the Chief Executive directly his e-mail in this case sjc@ao.com for Steven Caunce

Sometimes you will get a response from them or they'll hand this to a an executive complaints handling team that will fast track your case.

Offline portRUSHred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 03:45:58 pm »
You may also be covered under the distance selling regulations. Check them out, I think you can reject the item within 7 days so don't hang about!
Did you use your credit card to pay for it? You will also be covered by them too.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 04:18:31 pm »
Nope, wasn’t turned in or tested etc. Literally the delivery guys took it out, put it down on sofa and left!

Will get back in touch with AO then!!

You want to be getting in touch with the customer complaints department Crawley & tell them that you're disgusted,won't be using them again & telling everyone you know not to use the as well.Depending on just how much you want this TV & if you can get it cheaper somewhere else maybe even tell them that you want a total refund.

9 times out of 10 they will bend over backwards for you after you threaten all of that,you would either get a decent wedge off the purchase or some vouchers.Companies in this day and age cannot afford to lose customers so they always go that extra mile in my experience,you just need to be polite and firm,really let em know how disgusted you are at how you were treated ad lied to,because you were lied to.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 04:19:27 pm »

You have the right to reject these goods and get a full refund as long as you do so within the first 30 day after purchase (or delivery when it comes to online purchases).

The right to reject any goods damaged or not.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 09:26:38 am »
They are going to replace it, didn’t take too much effort to be fair. By all accounts it sounds as though they have similar issues in the past with this kind of damage so they just didn’t quibble.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
Yeah, was a curious one, this for future reference though mate: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.