Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 187415 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Atheism
« Reply #2960 on: May 3, 2024, 09:11:27 am »
No, there's more to atheism than just not believing in a god. It is a different life to a religious person. You often hear religious people say atheists have no morality, but humanism is not nothing. It's a whole philosophy and has just as much validity to be taught as Christianity, especially when you consider that the UK is largely non-religious.

Disagree with you there Kurt. I don't think that atheism does make any grand claims beyond 'there's no evidence that there is a god and it's extremely unlikely that one (or several of them) exist.'

But what that claim does is open up every other field of enquiry. That's the important achievement of atheism. Among other things it allows teachers to teach the history of the Bible or the Koran honestly and treat them as man-made documents. It allows Christian or Islamic thought to be placed within the history of philosophy and to see how both religions drew heavily on older ideas about morality. It allows the unfettered study of geography, science, archaeology and astronomy etc. In other words once atheism is operational the universe is opened up to genuine and rational enquiry and humanity is allowed to indulge its natural curiosity about things. That's enough because that's a lot. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #2961 on: May 3, 2024, 11:22:15 am »
I think we've both said the same thing there.
You try me once you beg for more.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2962 on: May 3, 2024, 01:33:37 pm »
I'm not sure we have.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2963 on: May 4, 2024, 12:53:59 am »
Hadn't really thought about this. Do people think we shouldn't teach RE in schools?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2964 on: May 4, 2024, 02:25:02 am »
Hadn't really thought about this. Do people think we shouldn't teach RE in schools?

RE is fine and important if it's taught as almost an extra tranche of History lessons - a 'cultural history' of various parts of the world etc that touches on the basic belief systems of people you might encounter in the world today.

But when I was at school in the 90s the RE teacher was a happy-clappy CofE believer, and once we had an external troupe come in and 'teach' us the importance of remaining virgins until marriage etc. That sort of thing isn't okay (though of course sexual education itself is important).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2965 on: May 4, 2024, 07:40:52 am »

I'm quite happy that my kids are taught about religion at school, I think it's important to understand different beliefs, but I don't want them being taught the bible as if its real and fact, although my kids sussed Father Christmas was a made up story quite young and did the same with the bible.

What I'm not happy about is my eldest has HAD to do an RE GCSE, absolute waste of a gcse, he's put no effort in and I've not been bothered as there were areas, such as English lit he's had to focus on and its been an unnecessary distraction.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2966 on: May 4, 2024, 08:24:22 am »
What I'm not happy about is my eldest has HAD to do an RE GCSE, absolute waste of a gcse, he's put no effort in and I've not been bothered as there were areas, such as English lit he's had to focus on and its been an unnecessary distraction.

The school where I worked up until 2021 had RE as a mandatory GCSE. I think they considered it a 'free hit' in that the subject was so easy that all the students would be able to bump their number of GCSEs by 1, plus the school got to claim an extra ~250 passes per year.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2967 on: May 4, 2024, 09:35:43 am »
The school where I worked up until 2021 had RE as a mandatory GCSE. I think they considered it a 'free hit' in that the subject was so easy that all the students would be able to bump their number of GCSEs by 1, plus the school got to claim an extra ~250 passes per year.

My lad is at the other end - looks like he's getting 7s to 9s in all subjects but RE, he's looking at a 3 or possible 4. I think he must fall asleep in the lesson.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2968 on: May 8, 2024, 08:27:39 pm »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2969 on: May 9, 2024, 09:57:12 am »
RE is fine and important if it's taught as almost an extra tranche of History lessons - a 'cultural history' of various parts of the world etc that touches on the basic belief systems of people you might encounter in the world today.

But when I was at school in the 90s the RE teacher was a happy-clappy CofE believer, and once we had an external troupe come in and 'teach' us the importance of remaining virgins until marriage etc. That sort of thing isn't okay (though of course sexual education itself is important).

Crème Brûlée? ;D

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2970 on: Yesterday at 03:50:28 pm »
or even Legz Akimbo?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2971 on: Yesterday at 07:00:07 pm »
or even Legz Akimbo?

You’re right. I was getting mixed up between Les McQueen’s old band and the role playing Legs Akimbo.