Author Topic: Merseyrail - now with added 777  (Read 53655 times)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
Re: Merseyrail
« Reply #480 on: March 4, 2023, 12:18:15 pm »
Spoke to a few of the lads who come in from the Wirral on bikes every day and they confirmed that best method on a bike is the ferry from seacombe every 20 mins starting 7.20. No one has actually been turned away from train but emphasised it's pain in arse getting bike down especially at Hamilton square when train crammed etc, also if you're relatively fit and confident you can ride through Kingsway (birkenhead) tunnel before 600am and after 20.00pm but fumes can make it unpleasant and need lights apart from summer.

it's funny you say that because i went on the tunnel tour - yes i am a nerdy geek - they commented that because of the tunnels massive fans/turbines constantly running then the air is actually cleaner in the tunnel than outside of it

they even said it was safe to drive through with your windows down - not like the old days

though i have never ridden through the tunnel
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: March 4, 2023, 12:29:24 pm »
I've seen videos of the tunnel tours. There's some Thunderbirds level shit going on down there that most people don't have a clue about. The engineering is mind boggling.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: March 4, 2023, 01:00:44 pm »
it's funny you say that because i went on the tunnel tour - yes i am a nerdy geek - they commented that because of the tunnels massive fans/turbines constantly running then the air is actually cleaner in the tunnel than outside of it

they even said it was safe to drive through with your windows down - not like the old days

though i have never ridden through the tunnel

Ridden through the tunnels loads of times on the motorbike and never noticed any issues with air quality.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #483 on: March 4, 2023, 01:25:22 pm »
Spoke to a few of the lads who come in from the Wirral on bikes every day and they confirmed that best method on a bike is the ferry from seacombe every 20 mins starting 7.20. No one has actually been turned away from train but emphasised it's pain in arse getting bike down especially at Hamilton square when train crammed etc, also if you're relatively fit and confident you can ride through Kingsway (birkenhead) tunnel before 600am and after 20.00pm but fumes can make it unpleasant and need lights apart from summer.

If they get off at Conway Park station there is a big lift there, that's what I do sometimes.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #484 on: March 4, 2023, 07:19:50 pm »
If they get off at Conway Park station there is a big lift there, that's what I do sometimes.

Birkenhead Park isn't too bad either, their's a simple, step ramp footbridge, connecting the platform to the ticket office, & it's island platform too.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #485 on: March 6, 2023, 04:42:26 am »
Timetable changes are being made to the Ormskirk, Southport and Hunts Cross lines to assist with the phased roll-out of the ground-breaking new Class 777 fleet of trains.
From Monday 6 March, there will be minor changes to support driver training. These changes are until further notice.

These changes are as follows;

Ormskirk line: On Monday-Friday, three trains from Ormskirk to Liverpool Central will be cancelled (09:34, 11:04, 15:04). Two trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will be cancelled (10:16 and 14:16). The 11:46 and 15:46 trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will start at Walton.

On Saturdays, four trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will be cancelled (08:01, 09:31, 12:01, 13:31), and four trains from Ormskirk to Liverpool Central will be cancelled (08:49, 10:19, 12:49, 14:19).

Also on Saturdays, the 11:01 and 15:01 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk services will start at Walton rather than Liverpool Central.

There are no cancellations on Sundays.

Southport line: On Monday-Friday, three trains from Hunts Cross to Southport will be cancelled (12:51, 15:21, 19:06). Three trains from Southport to Hunts Cross will be cancelled (14:13, 17:58, 20:28).

There are no cancellations on the Southport line on Saturdays or Sundays.

The Kirkby line, which had seen a reduction of services to assist the roll out of new trains, will now see a full reinstatement from Monday 6 March. Trains will run every 15 minutes through the day up to 19:43, after which services are every 30 minutes.

Passengers are advised to use the journey planner below or use the Merseyrail App for the latest information.

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-your-journey/southport-and-ormskirk-timetable-change.aspx
#Sausages

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: March 6, 2023, 08:28:21 am »
The new trains are much better but why are the seats so uncomfy?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: March 6, 2023, 08:29:15 am »
Timetable changes are being made to the Ormskirk, Southport and Hunts Cross lines to assist with the phased roll-out of the ground-breaking new Class 777 fleet of trains.
From Monday 6 March, there will be minor changes to support driver training. These changes are until further notice.

These changes are as follows;

Ormskirk line: On Monday-Friday, three trains from Ormskirk to Liverpool Central will be cancelled (09:34, 11:04, 15:04). Two trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will be cancelled (10:16 and 14:16). The 11:46 and 15:46 trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will start at Walton.

On Saturdays, four trains from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk will be cancelled (08:01, 09:31, 12:01, 13:31), and four trains from Ormskirk to Liverpool Central will be cancelled (08:49, 10:19, 12:49, 14:19).

Also on Saturdays, the 11:01 and 15:01 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk services will start at Walton rather than Liverpool Central.

There are no cancellations on Sundays.

Southport line: On Monday-Friday, three trains from Hunts Cross to Southport will be cancelled (12:51, 15:21, 19:06). Three trains from Southport to Hunts Cross will be cancelled (14:13, 17:58, 20:28).

There are no cancellations on the Southport line on Saturdays or Sundays.

The Kirkby line, which had seen a reduction of services to assist the roll out of new trains, will now see a full reinstatement from Monday 6 March. Trains will run every 15 minutes through the day up to 19:43, after which services are every 30 minutes.

Passengers are advised to use the journey planner below or use the Merseyrail App for the latest information.

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-your-journey/southport-and-ormskirk-timetable-change.aspx

so - might be a stupid question - but will the 777s be using those lines for training?
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #488 on: March 6, 2023, 08:35:40 am »
so - might be a stupid question - but will the 777s be using those lines for training?

No. I think its more taking drivers off those lines to put them on the Kirkby line to train them

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: March 6, 2023, 08:41:21 am »
No. I think its more taking drivers off those lines to put them on the Kirkby line to train them

got you - cheers

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: March 6, 2023, 10:54:27 am »

I noticed that. I think it's because they're short journey metro trains. The longest route is only about 70 minutes, if you go all the way from Hunts Cross to Southport. And once the new trains are fully in service, the journey time will probably fall to about an hour, maybe even less.   So they basically couldn't be arsed making the seats all that comfortable, in the same way you're expected to get off and wait for the next train if you need to use the bog.

That said, the trains are brand new. Maybe the seats just need to be worn in a bit.

As for the reduced services, I'm surprised they're doing it on Southport-Hunts Cross. For one thing, that route is getting the trains last; for another, it's arguably the busiest route. Would have made more sense to reduce trains on the Wirral line, but maybe I'm missing something.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #491 on: March 6, 2023, 11:13:31 am »
I noticed that. I think it's because they're short journey metro trains. The longest route is only about 70 minutes, if you go all the way from Hunts Cross to Southport. And once the new trains are fully in service, the journey time will probably fall to about an hour, maybe even less.   So they basically couldn't be arsed making the seats all that comfortable, in the same way you're expected to get off and wait for the next train if you need to use the bog.

That said, the trains are brand new. Maybe the seats just need to be worn in a bit.

As for the reduced services, I'm surprised they're doing it on Southport-Hunts Cross. For one thing, that route is getting the trains last; for another, it's arguably the busiest route. Would have made more sense to reduce trains on the Wirral line, but maybe I'm missing something.

The next train will have a bog? ;D

Not so long ago Merseyrail were saying the new trains didn’t need toilets as every station had one. Well Cressington has one but it’s been ‘temporarily’ out of service for months.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: March 6, 2023, 12:35:58 pm »

Not so long ago Merseyrail were saying the new trains didn’t need toilets as every station had one. Well Cressington has one but it’s been ‘temporarily’ out of service for months.

Ya daft plonker, you know what I mean! ;D

It's bollocks anyway. Who's going to get off a rush hour train just to use a station toilet?

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: March 6, 2023, 08:56:39 pm »

I've noticed that with stagecoach buses by ours, seats are like bricks. Did Piccadilly to ours on Saturday night, about 15 mins in my arse cheeks were numb
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: March 6, 2023, 10:47:50 pm »
Good job the mancs didn't have to ride a new train home.  8) ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Merseyrail - now with added 777
« Reply #495 on: March 7, 2023, 06:34:32 pm »
Good job the mancs didn't have to ride a new train home.  8) ;D

:thumbup

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: March 7, 2023, 06:53:55 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: March 7, 2023, 06:56:42 pm »

South Parkway ones have been knackered for ages.
Not to mention the vast majority of them are hidden in weird places and require someone in the ticket office to unlock them when you press an intercom button next to the toilet door.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: March 7, 2023, 07:08:34 pm »
Ya daft plonker, you know what I mean! ;D

It's bollocks anyway. Who's going to get off a rush hour train just to use a station toilet?

Was once on a train with a group of girls on a night out. Somewhere on one of the Wirral line stations, the train stopped, one of the girls run out, squatted behind an electrical box on the platform for a wee, and run back in before the train left. I was a bit impressed by her bladder control, but a toilet on the train would have made that a bit easier for her.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #499 on: March 7, 2023, 07:25:48 pm »
South Parkway ones have been knackered for ages.
Not to mention the vast majority of them are hidden in weird places and require someone in the ticket office to unlock them when you press an intercom button next to the toilet door.

The last thing you want when you’re dying for a piss on a freezing cold night is for a Will Hay type ticket clerk rummaging around the desk drawers for the key.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: March 7, 2023, 07:39:22 pm »
Was once on a train with a group of girls on a night out. Somewhere on one of the Wirral line stations, the train stopped, one of the girls run out, squatted behind an electrical box on the platform for a wee, and run back in before the train left. I was a bit impressed by her bladder control, but a toilet on the train would have made that a bit easier for her.

I remember being on a train where a girl was giving a blow job up front. But it was a Northern train so there's the difference in quality I guess.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: March 7, 2023, 07:42:49 pm »

I'm impressed she finished and managed to get back on the train ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: March 10, 2023, 06:27:36 am »
One bit of snow and the country is brought down to its knees. All services have been suspended.  :butt

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: March 10, 2023, 07:08:04 am »
One bit of snow and the country is brought down to its knees. All services have been suspended.  :butt
Just saw that, couldn't believe it! No replacement busses either. They could at least do the loop and go through the tunnel?

It's supposed to be gone in a few hours though.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2023, 07:22:23 am »
Just saw that, couldn't believe it! No replacement busses either. They could at least do the loop and go through the tunnel?

It's supposed to be gone in a few hours though.

Just contacted work to see if someone can give me a lift in. One bit of snow and the country falls apart.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2023, 08:13:32 am »
It's fucking stupid.  It's not like they haven't known it's been coming for a fricking week. Don't they have an engine to keep the tracks clear? It's just another form if wet weather ffs!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2023, 08:20:43 am »
It's fucking stupid.  It's not like they haven't known it's been coming for a fricking week. Don't they have an engine to keep the tracks clear? It's just another form if wet weather ffs!

I'm watching live Crewe on Railcam site, plenty of snow their, but services running normally, don't know why Merseyrail felt the need to cancel everything.

Oh & seems buses are running normally too.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2023, 08:29:10 am »
Andy
@Andy53658235
·
2h
Replying to
@merseyrail
"Tracks on the 75-mile Merseyrail network will be treated overnight to protect them from snow build-up,"

What were they treated with, snow?

;D
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2023, 11:35:31 am »
There are services running now, except for Kirkby, but marked as severe disruption.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: May 7, 2023, 08:15:28 am »
I see they have updated their website I can’t even use the Planner tool on my phone. They have turned an easy to use tool into a nightmare. Nice work Merseyrail.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #510 on: May 7, 2023, 09:23:22 am »
 Merseyrail are putting extra services on after the normal last services on 13th until 2.30am, from Liverpool only though, because of the expected crowds Northern line passengers have to use Moorfields, Wirral line passengers Central

https://www.merseyrail.org/eurovision/important-timetable-and-station-information/

Also Arriva & Stagecoach are putting extra bus services on some routes after midnight too

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/customer-information/eurovision-bus-travel/
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #511 on: May 7, 2023, 11:55:10 am »
I see they have updated their website I can’t even use the Planner tool on my phone. They have turned an easy to use tool into a nightmare. Nice work Merseyrail.

Good gravy that website makeover is disgusting

More interested in showing you advertisements than sorting a journey

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: May 7, 2023, 12:17:33 pm »
At least the work at St Michael's seems to be mostly done. The new steps are open, but I don't know if the lifts are working yet.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: May 7, 2023, 03:25:39 pm »

I just tried, that is terrible! It was nice and straightforward to use before. Plus there is information missing now.

Maybe they'll revert it back after Eurovision, but not having high hopes. :(

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: May 7, 2023, 04:04:07 pm »
I just tried, that is terrible! It was nice and straightforward to use before. Plus there is information missing now.

Maybe they'll revert it back after Eurovision, but not having high hopes. :(
Good gravy that website makeover is disgusting

More interested in showing you advertisements than sorting a journey

I had to give up on my phone on the end as I just couldn't do it. As you say though, they may get a bit of negative feedback on those changes.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: May 9, 2023, 08:44:03 am »
Can they run 8 car carriages with the new trains? On the Ormskirk train after the match on Saturday it was very congested with just 4. On the old stock they'd sometimes have 6 cars on.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: May 9, 2023, 08:52:23 am »
Can they run 8 car carriages with the new trains? On the Ormskirk train after the match on Saturday it was very congested with just 4. On the old stock they'd sometimes have 6 cars on.

Don't know, but I guess the platforms in most stations are jot long enough for eight carriages.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 9, 2023, 09:57:50 am »

Not yet, they need to extend some platforms and the turnback sidings at Central. Kirkby could probably already take them, been a long time since I got the train from there but the platform was really long IIRC

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/mersey-electrics-class-777-and-system-upgrade/

MALCOLM DOBELL BTECH CENG FIMECHE
23RD FEBRUARY 2023
In Rail Engineer 184 (May/June 2020), Paul Darlington described the upgrade of the Merseyside rail network in and around Liverpool, which involved new trains, upgraded infrastructure, power supplies and depots, together with a network wide train-infrastructure Wi-Fi system. To recap, MerseyRail is the largest third-rail electrified network outside London and the South East, has extensive underground running and is largely self-contained. Pre-Covid, the network carried 110,000 passengers on weekdays and a total of 34 million passengers per year along its 75 miles of route with 68 stations.

Six stations and 6.5 miles of route are underground. It is also unusual that, since 2002, the Liverpool Region Combined authority, through its Merseytravel arm, is the franchising authority for the network. It is currently operating the oldest fleet of any main line operator in the country but is on the cusp of a transformation. During a visit to Kirkdale depot in November 2022, David Powell, Merseytravel’s Project Director, briefed Rail Engineer about the Class 777 trains and the various system changes to enable their operation prior to the first train entering service which took place on 23 January 2023.

Before describing the trains, it’s worth remembering the benefits that were identified at the start of the programme in 2012:

Improved safety, especially at the platform train interface having regard to the James Street fatality in 2011
10% journey time reduction
50% higher passenger capacity to meet rising demand
Improved passenger facilities
Future-proofed to operate beyond third-rail infrastructure
The most accessible heavy rail network in the UK
More reliable than Class 507/8
Reduced operating and maintenance costs
Reduced carbon footprint
Liverpool was in a position to fund the new trains for itself without recourse to a ROSCO. This allowed Liverpool to specify a train solely to meet its own needs without needing to think about residual value issues. The resulting finance model uses the council’s own reserves plus loans from the Public Works Loan Board and the European Investment Bank (one of the last loans to UK following Brexit).

Bespoke solution
Following competitive tendering in 2016, Stadler was selected to design and manufacture the trains and it was also decided to contract Stadler to maintain the trains – Stadler’s first maintenance contract in the UK. One of the benefits of choosing Stadler is that it specialises in bespoke solutions and Liverpool’s is a completely new design. Initially 52 x 4-car, 65-metre-long units were procured with an option for up to another 60. Since then, one additional train has been ordered. The rolling stock design was completed in 20 months following extensive interaction with passengers to determine key interior design features. David Powell described them as “Metro style units designed to mainline standards”. Bodyshells are made in Hungary, bogies in Spain, with final assembly in Switzerland and Poland.

Kirkdale depot
Dynamic testing was carried out at the Siemens facility in Wildenrath, Germany. The first unit was delivered to the UK through the channel tunnel in January 2020. Not all the trains have yet been delivered to Liverpool which will be explained later in the article.

David said that right from the beginning and throughout the design process, customers were invited to express their desires for the new trains in work carried out by the research arm of Transport Focus. One key passenger requirement was for level access from platform to train in order to allow people with wheelchairs, buggies, and other mobility impairments to board and alight easily. This led to an early design decision to lower the floor from the usual 1100mm (approximately) to 960mm and use extending panels to bridge the gap between train and platform. These have ultrasonic sensors fitted which stop the extending panels approximately 35mm away from the platform edge. This and other features meant that a number of infrastructure changes were necessary which are covered later.

Features
The train’s outline specification can be seen at the end of the article, but notable features include open wide gangways throughout the unit, air conditioning, 240V 13A & USB sockets at every pair of seats, and line maps displayed on LCD screens. Research indicated that customers like to know that the security CCTV is working, so images from the saloons are also displayed on the LCD screens. On each unit, there are two storage areas for three bicycles.

The cab design is unique. The nature of the tunnels is such that there needs to be a means to evacuate passengers from the front of the train. But there was also a desire to improve sightlines for the driver which meant larger windscreens compared with the old trains. So, unlike the old Class 507/8 units, rather than in the centre of the cab front, detrainment is via a sliding plug door fitted on the right-hand side. This is accompanied with an angled ladder which runs from this doorway to the middle of the track (a straight ladder might have ‘landed’ right above the conductor rail). In the event that a train-to-train detrainment is required, clearly the detrainment doors will be on opposite sides of the coupled units, and for this a series of platforms and barriers are deployed to provide a safe gangway.

Each passenger door is monitored by its own external CCTV camera and two monitors, each displaying views from four cameras, provided in the cabs. It is planned to operate the trains with the driver controlling the doors and a train manager will look after the customers and perform a platform check at stations.

End of Life Class 507
For maintenance, Kirkdale depot has been extensively modernised. With pit roads and high-level platforms to access roof mounted equipment (antennae, air conditioning packs, dynamic brake resistors, etc). In passing, the end cars have panelling on the roof to smooth the flow of side winds over the body. Modelling had shown that there was a risk of overturning in the presence of side winds specified by standards. This was not a risk on the shorter intermediate vehicles. David said that he hopes, in time, to justify their removal as they are an impediment to maintenance. The depot has three-phase shore supplies to power the units’ auxiliaries, but movement in and out of the sheds is powered by the train’s limited movement batteries.

BEMU
Merseytravel has ambitions to extend the MerseyRail network, and, with ORR ‘presuming against extensions of third-rail systems’, provision was made on the trains for 25kV supply or batteries with space under each end car. At Rail Live 2021, Stadler demonstrated a prototype battery-powered Class 777 unit with batteries weighing 2.5 tonnes. This was used to explore practical range on the Liverpool network, resulting in Merseytravel varying the order to increase the order to 53 trains, seven of which will have three tonnes of batteries on each end car, together with an additional power converter (increasing the tare mass by approximately 6%). The batteries will be Lithium Titanate Oxide type with a total capacity of 320kWh. These give a good combination of energy and power density and have an inherent resistance to thermal runaway. The initial off-third-rail section will be a one-mile extension from Kirkby to a new station at Headbolt Lane, but David says that there is an ambition to extend to other locations such as Wrexham. The first production Class 777 BEMU delivered an encouraging 135km range which shows what is possible.

Infrastructure
Having resolved to have lower train floors, clearly the platforms needed to be compatible. The aim was to deliver platforms at or close to the standard 915mm height and 730mm offset. David reported that 92 platforms at 56 stations had to be modified for height, offset, or both. This programme was managed by Network Rail, and David praised the way the work was delivered on time. In general, the work was carried out in line blockades with a number of platforms being tackled simultaneously. Other changes, including moving signals at the ends of some platforms, are being undertaken. To satisfy the ambition to run 8-car, 130-metre trains, some platforms and the turnback siding in the underground section at Liverpool Central need to be extended.

Power supply
At 2100kW peak power output at the wheels, the new trains demand about three times the power of the existing train. The power supply was upgraded to address existing volt drop issue and to raise the maximum current draw from 4000 A to 5400 A. This was achieved by providing three new bulk supply points (from the regional electricity company to the railway), eight new substations and extensive cable upgrades.

Wireless connectivity
The last element of the upgrade is the wireless connectivity system. David said that the business case for upgraded comms was based on: obtaining data from the trains to enable predictive maintenance; reducing workload on the drivers; ability to access both live and recorded CCTV both in the operations and British Transport Police control rooms; to update passenger information in real time; and to send emergency alerts to the Sandhills control room (where Network Rail, MerseyRail, and Stadler personnel are co-located). It was these features that gave a positive business case but, as a by-product, customers get access to on-train Wi-Fi too. The technology is Wi-Fi throughout, rather than the more usual on-train Wi-Fi connected to the infrastructure via 4/5g mobile modems. Panasonic is providing the system and David mentioned the 120km of trackside cables that have had to be installed.

Driver’s desk
Introduction into service
As described above, fleet introduction, initially on the Kirkby line started in mid-January 2023. From there a complex cascade starts. With 59 old trains, 53 new ones, and only 70 unit stabling/siding spaces, David’s extended project team has prepared a detailed plan to manage hand back of the old fleet to Angel Trains (Class 507/8 ROSCO) whilst training all the staff who will interact with the new trains, bringing more and more trains onto the network and ensuring that fault free running has been completed, whilst managing the inevitable modifications that all new trains require, especially after being exposed to passenger operation for the first time.

Finally, David paid tribute to the teams who have worked on this programme. Vital to the programme has been cross organisation teamwork including: willingness to share information, recognition of each other’s perspectives and, above all, compromise.
With thanks to David Powell, his assistant Jane Brimage, and to Stadler’s Alex Maher for their assistance with this article.

Class 777 features

Four-car articulated unit.
Bogie arrangement: Trailer – motor – motor – motor – trailer.
Lightweight carriage body made of extruded aluminium profiles.
Newly developed motor trailer bogies with internal bogie frames, pneumatic suspension and wheel tread friction brakes; motor bogies under articulated joints.
Modern vehicle control system.
Automatic front coupler for multiple operation.
Plug sliding doors and sliding steps for level entrance.
AWS/TPWS/tripcock train protection and Automatic Selective Door Open system.
Prepared for later retrofit of ETCS and 25 kV power supply equipment.
Train batteries allowing depot movements independently of power supply; units are designed to allow later installation of much larger batteries, implemented on the 7 BEMU units ordered.
Comfort

Bright, passenger-friendly interior with an iconic design
Six entrance doorways on each side for rapid passenger flow
Level access at all entrances
Spacious multifunction areas and wheelchair spaces
Modern passenger information system and CCTV
Powerful HVAC system
Personnel

Spacious cab with excellent driver sight lines
Ergonomically designed driver’s desk
Automated cab side doors for comfortable access
Reliability/Availability/Maintainability/Safety
Three IGBT three-phase drive systems; one per pair of motors (ABB)
Force cooled traction motors (TSA)
Remote vehicle diagnostics to support condition-based maintenance
Automated front bridging system for movement between units for evacuation
Supply voltage: 750 VDC
Number of units: 53 with options for another 59
Seats (one class only): 182 (Class 507: 192)
Tip-up seats: 8
Standing capacity (4 pers./m2): 302
Floor height: 960mm (Class 507: 1100mm)
Doorway width: 1300mm
Unit length: 64980mm
Vehicle width: 2820mm
Vehicle height: 3828mm
Bogie wheelbase: 2400mm
Wheel diameter, new: 760mm (similar size to Underground tube stock)
Power output at wheel: 1500kW [Continuous] (Class 507: 650kW)
Power output at wheel: 2100kW Maximum
Starting tractive effort: 162kN (up to 46km/h)
Starting acceleration: 1.1m/s²
Maximum speed: 120km/h
Tare mass: 100 t (Class 507: 104.5 t)
« Last Edit: May 9, 2023, 10:00:12 am by rob1966 »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: May 9, 2023, 11:48:43 am »
Don't know, but I guess the platforms in most stations are jot long enough for eight carriages.

They will be. Platforms on the network are being extended. I think the ends of 8 car trains might overhang the platforms, which is why they only have one set of doors each side.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: May 9, 2023, 02:02:38 pm »
Nice to finally see a few in operation yesterday sat in Moorfields waiting for a train back to Hunts Cross
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John