Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 550733 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #5960 on: April 1, 2024, 09:04:14 pm »
Ian Doyle@IanDoyleSport·6m
Understand #LFC have zero interest in taking Jason Wilcox from Southampton. The former Blackburn Rovers winger is expected to leave his role as Southampton’s director of football, with Manchester United having made him a target. Manchester United play Liverpool on Sunday

An obvious red herring. Hughes has got the main role and his chief scout at Bournemouth is coming with him as well (Burchill).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5961 on: April 1, 2024, 10:11:02 pm »
Hard to say isn’t it. Wilcox would be working under a SD at United (Ashworth) so we could conceivably want a similar set up. Or it could be something with this additional club, although there were reports linking us to that guy at Benfica.

Aren’t they getting rid of Darren Fletcher and Murtough? So maybe they need two directors.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5962 on: April 2, 2024, 03:58:48 am »
Ian Doyle@IanDoyleSport·6m
Understand #LFC have zero interest in taking Jason Wilcox from Southampton. The former Blackburn Rovers winger is expected to leave his role as Southampton’s director of football, with Manchester United having made him a target. Manchester United play Liverpool on Sunday
The Saints are trying to jack up the price, that's all.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5963 on: April 2, 2024, 07:49:08 am »
FSG close to appointing Pedro Marques in a role in their new-look football structure. He’s currently technical director at Benfica. And is Portuguese 🔴

https://x.com/iandoylesport/status/1775051322170933688?s=61&t=BIZyp_aEAMjlwKFo_R2zug

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5964 on: April 2, 2024, 07:55:20 am »
Podcast with him floating around:
Our guest on Episode #49 of the TGG Podcast, in association with Hudl, is Pedro Marques, the Technical Director of Benfica's Academy.
Presume it's part of the strategy to develop talent rather than buy it.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 07:57:13 am by No666 »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5965 on: April 2, 2024, 08:15:10 am »
If they’re appointing him to run this other club then you have to imagine an announcement is imminent.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5966 on: April 2, 2024, 08:27:30 am »
Doesn't feel like we'll stop at 1 extra club if Marques is coming in to FSG;

https://theathletic.com/5385022/2024/04/02/liverpool-fsg-pedro-marques-benfica/

The Athletic reported last month that Marques will be employed by the Boston-based company rather than Liverpool as they seek to utilise his expertise to attract global talent.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5967 on: April 2, 2024, 08:44:40 am »
Podcast with him floating around:
Our guest on Episode #49 of the TGG Podcast, in association with Hudl, is Pedro Marques, the Technical Director of Benfica's Academy.
Presume it's part of the strategy to develop talent rather than buy it.
Article and I think the transcript of the Podcast.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/pedro-marques-inside-benficas-talent-factory
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 08:46:12 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5968 on: April 2, 2024, 12:15:53 pm »

Is the purpose of the multi club model to deliver the best talent to Liverpool and to enable Liverpool to get out young players into competitive football or to create multiple teams capable of challenging in their own domestic leagues and europe? if it’s the latter then there isn’t much for us to get excited about

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5969 on: April 2, 2024, 12:42:49 pm »
Is the purpose of the multi club model to deliver the best talent to Liverpool and to enable Liverpool to get out young players into competitive football or to create multiple teams capable of challenging in their own domestic leagues and europe? if it’s the latter then there isn’t much for us to get excited about

This is what Edwards said when he took up his new role:

"I believe that to remain competitive, investment and expansion of the current football portfolio is necessary."

That certainly infers that it's being done with the intention to benefit Liverpool.

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5970 on: April 2, 2024, 12:45:15 pm »

Maybe not but it is the only one I feel comfortable with - taking over a club to be a farm for us is not something I support at all, that club will have supporters that deserve more than being a player factory for us

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #5971 on: April 2, 2024, 01:15:25 pm »

I'd imagine that whichever clubs they buy as a "feeder" as they expand the network, ultimately Liverpool will be the tentpole of brand FSG. ( Baseball has nowhere near the reach football does, even for the Yankees or Red Sox who transcend the sport somewhat). Winning the biggest trophies will expand the "brand". So while their primary goal might not be making Liverpool the best club in the world, it would be a byproduct of a wider, but closely aligned aim.

That might be me being naive or hopeful, but one seems pretty intrinsically linked to the other.

More specifically to your point. Making teams in other leagues competitive provides a pretty decent selection pool for Liverpool. You want winners, European experience all in a lower pressure environment. Generally the best teams in a league have the best players, not exclusively but it reduces some of the friction of transition.  The idea of all of this sickens me, but just how the modern game is going.

Just look at the list of players who played for Salzburg then moved to Leipzig.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 01:22:56 pm by Sonofthewind »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5972 on: April 2, 2024, 01:37:04 pm »
It’s pretty telling that this Pedro Marques fella spent several years within City Football Group. I thought his role would maybe be Hughes’ equivalent in the second club, but reckon it’s probably something that covers us too - a global pathways manager type gig.

I also tend to think we’ll ultimately add more than one club…

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5973 on: April 2, 2024, 01:57:50 pm »
Doesn't feel like we'll stop at 1 extra club if Marques is coming in to FSG;

https://theathletic.com/5385022/2024/04/02/liverpool-fsg-pedro-marques-benfica/

The Athletic reported last month that Marques will be employed by the Boston-based company rather than Liverpool as they seek to utilise his expertise to attract global talent.

FSG will start with one club and see how it goes.  Most likely a European one. They want one in Brazil to and possibly MLS.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5974 on: April 2, 2024, 01:59:26 pm »

Thought it would be obvious.  ;D

FSG aren't going to buy a club who is equivlent to us and there aren't many in the world. Therefore whichever club they do buy and a tlaent comes through, we'll get first dibs. Think Salzburg and Leipzig relationship.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5975 on: April 2, 2024, 02:00:10 pm »
Will we able to buy half-and-half scarves? FSG football inc?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5976 on: April 2, 2024, 02:05:35 pm »

FSG aren't going to buy a club who is equivlent to us and there aren't many in the world. Therefore whichever club they do buy and a tlaent comes through, we'll get first dibs. Think Salzburg and Leipzig relationship.

It’s always worth clarifying, It would be great to get the best talent from south america in particular as this has been difficult with the home office rules

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5977 on: April 2, 2024, 02:14:51 pm »
Will we able to buy half-and-half scarves? FSG football inc?

Third/Third/Third

Wait til you get the cross-over scarves - LFC/Penguins/RedSox

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5978 on: April 2, 2024, 04:31:02 pm »

Dominic King
@DominicKing_DM
·
Jan 31
Liverpool have targeted Jansen Moreno to be their new Head of Opposition Analysis; Moreno is well respected within industry, previously worked at Huddersfield, Norwich and is currently with Gibraltar FA 🔴

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5979 on: April 2, 2024, 04:32:04 pm »
not a lot of likes for Moreno?

Maybe alot of us are confusing him for Alberto?

(Albie was great!)

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #5980 on: April 2, 2024, 04:33:49 pm »
Might be good...but thats a fucking sweet gig getting paid to analyse the opposition for Gibraltar

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5981 on: April 2, 2024, 04:35:16 pm »
Might be good...but thats a fucking sweet gig getting paid to analyse the opposition for Gibraltar

"We can't beat them"

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5982 on: April 2, 2024, 04:36:29 pm »

If that's the rock you're going to die on.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #5983 on: April 2, 2024, 04:39:10 pm »
"We can't beat them"

'They should score 5-10 goals against us, see you in two months.

I've been analysing the Dutch side so will be sending some...expenses from my month long stay in Amsterdam'

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5984 on: April 2, 2024, 04:40:10 pm »

Leipzig was a 5th-tier German team when Red Bull purchased the playing rights of SSV Markranstädt in 2009. Salzburg fans probably never imagined that they would end up as effectively their feeder club.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5985 on: April 2, 2024, 04:41:35 pm »
Exciting times seeing this evolutionary overhaul.

We're not missing a step post Klopp, improved Recruitment set-up and our successful Academy with Multi Club aspirations to boot and hopefully Amorim in the Dugout is going to make us contenders for next 10 years.

Also we've had Post Fergie United to study how not to do it when an iconic Manager leaves, we're not resting on our laurels like they did.

Opposition fans think we're going back to pre Klopp levels, Idiots.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 04:44:06 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5986 on: April 2, 2024, 05:07:55 pm »
Is there such a thing a ‘suits hipster’ signing?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5987 on: April 2, 2024, 06:11:19 pm »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5988 on: April 2, 2024, 08:17:01 pm »
Maybe not but it is the only one I feel comfortable with - taking over a club to be a farm for us is not something I support at all, that club will have supporters that deserve more than being a player factory for us

This is probably my overriding feeling on that too. However, depending on the stature of the other club, they could see the benefit of the link as it’ll mean top class potential talent is more likely to go their way if the end goal is a smoother move to us. The sort of club FSG will look to purchase is likely to be a club that isn’t an end destination for most players but having us as as a potential next move and a player seeing a pathway could work for them.

Look at some of the talent Salzburg have had pass through them. While they all didn’t end up at Leipzig, some did and I bet the lure of the bundesliga and Leipzig helped sign those players in the first place.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5989 on: April 3, 2024, 08:54:58 am »
"We can't beat them"
Reminded me of the time that Graeme Souness sent Walter Smith to scout Red Star Belgrade before a European Cup / CL tie.

'Well Walter, your thoughts?'
'Boss, we're fucked'.
'God, Walter. You got any more than that?'
Walter thinks for a minute
'Yes, we're absolutely fucked' 

:D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5990 on: April 3, 2024, 03:43:08 pm »

Agreed, I think how we do something like that is crucial. I am sure there is a way that would allow us to do it with class and consideration

or

Let's just buy Everton
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5991 on: April 3, 2024, 03:45:38 pm »
currently with Gibraltar FA

F*** All in Gibraltar
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5992 on: April 3, 2024, 11:09:15 pm »

F*** All in Gibraltar
Isn't that what FA stands for?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5993 on: April 16, 2024, 04:08:18 pm »
David Woodfine returning to the club as assistant sporting director. Previously director of loan management, left last year but now brought back by Edwards/Hughes.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5994 on: April 16, 2024, 04:09:22 pm »
David Woodfine returning to the club as assistant sporting director. Previously director of loan management, left last year but now brought back by Edwards/Hughes.
Good progression model. And he knows our systems
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5995 on: April 16, 2024, 04:17:15 pm »

Can we contact him and let him know that I have spotted a player called Jamal Musiala. Highly recommended by me.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5996 on: April 16, 2024, 04:27:18 pm »
Can we contact him and let him know that I have spotted a player called Jamal Musiala. Highly recommended by me.

Try this guy instead.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-edwards-47889b17/

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5997 on: April 16, 2024, 04:28:03 pm »
Why did everyone bugger off if they're just going to come back :P

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5998 on: April 16, 2024, 04:29:44 pm »
Why did everyone bugger off if they're just going to come back :P

Interestingly we're working with Ian Graham still.

https://deepmind.google/discover/blog/tacticai-ai-assistant-for-football-tactics/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TacticAI/

"Ian G.Ian G.  (He/Him) • 3rd+ (He/Him) • 3rd+  Founder of Ludonautics. Ex Director of Research at Liverpool Football ClubFounder of Ludonautics. Ex Director of Research at Liverpool Football Club

It was fun working on this with DeepMind"

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5999 on: April 16, 2024, 06:55:53 pm »
Elsewhere, the ECHO reported earlier this month that FSG are also closing in on the appointment of Benfica technical director Pedro Marques as part of their new-look football operation. The Portuguese expected to take on responsibilities for player development and player pathways, similar to those of departing Liverpool elite development coach Vitor Matos.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-make-new-appointment-recruitment-29008033

Interesting move for Marques, seems a bit of a demotion.