Author Topic: Crystal Palace  (Read 18929 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Crystal Palace
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 10:40:41 am »
Loved watching that Sampdoria side when they had Gullit, Mancini, Lombardo and Jugovic together.
What a team! Won Serie A with Maradona still at Napoli, Inter had the three Germans, Milan had Tres Tulipani, Juve were spending big to chase their resurgence - what a time in a fantastic league. Vialli was still there at that time I think too.

Lampard and Cooper being reported as the favourites for the Palace job now. One to me looks like a competent coach, making his way in his career after some good jobs in youth development and then transitioning to doing a good job as a head coach. The other is an inexperienced, overly-hyped former player, who's excellent career has elevated him to being linked to jobs his CV really doesn't support in any way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 11:00:06 am »
They had a Chinese player too. I was at uni with a Palace fan who claimed they were the most supported club in the world because of it!

Was that Sun Jihai?  I remember a similar thing being claimed when he was at City, like tens of millions would tune in to watch him

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 11:07:35 am »
Was that Sun Jihai?  I remember a similar thing being claimed when he was at City, like tens of millions would tune in to watch him

There were 2 Chinese fellas there around the same time in the late 90's early 2000's, can't remember the other one's name

edit: Fan Zhiyi was the other fella

Crystal Palace, a great bunch of lads
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:16:36 am by FiSh77 »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 11:10:52 am »
Crystal Palace, a great bunch of lads

:lmao

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:03 am »

Lampard and Cooper being reported as the favourites for the Palace job now. One to me looks like a competent coach, making his way in his career after some good jobs in youth development and then transitioning to doing a good job as a head coach. The other is an inexperienced, overly-hyped former player, who's excellent career has elevated him to being linked to jobs his CV really doesn't support in any way.

Every time I've seen Swansea they've been absolutely horrendous to watch though. But then again, that might be what they need with such upheaval, someone to keep them solid at the back and work from there. Lampard would be a disaster.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55:24 am »
They become relegation favourites if Lampard gets the job.

Wonder if Nuno deal fell through as it became apparent their plans (or lack thereof) for investing in a squad that sorely needs it.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2021, 02:29:07 pm »

Fan Zhiyi

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2021, 02:33:29 pm »
Fan Zhiyi

And also Sun Jihai.

Both very good on Champ Manager for some reason.

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:08 pm »
And also Sun Jihai.

Both very good on Champ Manager for some reason.

I used to get Zhiyi because they had him as D, M, F. Handy from the bench

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 03:02:29 pm »
I used to get Zhiyi because they had him as D, M, F. Handy from the bench

Yeah I remember him being a DMF  :)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2021, 04:49:50 pm »
These two paragraphs sum up a lot about managerial recruitment. No long-term vision, philosophy or understanding of personnel

Favre is understood to have been identified by Palace’s co-chairman Steve Parish as a leading contender because of his reputation for building attacking teams and blooding young players.

Burnley’s Sean Dyche is also thought to remain a contender even though any move is likely to be contingent on sizeable compensation.
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/17/crystal-palace-sound-out-former-borussia-dortmund-manager-lucien-favre?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2021, 04:52:23 pm »
These two paragraphs sum up a lot about managerial recruitment. No long-term vision, philosophy or understanding of personnel

Since Palace got promoted to the PL in 2013 they've been managed by Ian Holloway, Tony Pulis, Alan Pardew, Sam Allardyce, Colin Wanker, Frank De Boer (4 games) and Roy Hodgson.

Whoever they appoint will get 10 games before they go back to one of these.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2021, 05:00:34 pm »

It’s like someone just reminded them Favre was without a club.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2021, 11:07:58 pm »
Ah memories..

Lombardo was absolutely fucking brilliant for Palace. Obviously he was a class apart but he also worked really hard.

Brolin was an egg on legs

Ismael was a bizarre signing. We desperately needed a striker so spent 2.7m, our record, on a central defender. He looked ok against good strikers then got murdered by Carl fucking Leaburn.

The chinese were signed the next year by V*n*bl*s. Zhiyi was a cult hero: big, strong, fast, skilfull… but at 30 had spent his career being a relative superstar in a shit leagiue .. so also prone to basic errors.
Jihai was a decent two footed fullback, although hed put both feet into tackles as well.

The recent palace managers you scoff at cant hold a candle in cuntery to El Tel

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2021, 09:56:53 am »
Fortneef, who's your pick for Palace's next manager? They've got to have an appetite to build something new, given the churn that's potentially going to happen.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2021, 01:39:04 pm »
We need someone who can in the short term rebuild a team on the relative cheap and long term get the academy producing. The one thing we've got is all those sarf lunnon cage footballers on our doorstep. There is money to spend.

Benitez.  If he can put up with no budget and Mike Ashley, a bit of cash and Parish should be happy days. 

Le Favre interesting. Successful at several clubs. 

IF Brentford had not got promoted , id have tried to poach the entire set-up. 

the usual suspects fill me with dread

Howe - smug faced twat. I just cant imagine him being successful
Lampard - not convinced he offers anything apart form chelsea loans
Dyche - clog to 15th forever, at best.  Burnley are very white arent they ?
Cooper - on paper he's done well. But Swansea fans seem to be volunteering to drive him here.
Ismael - genius or jammy? 

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2021, 06:38:18 pm »
Mad that Palace, Everton and Spuds are still without a manager. Especially with Howe, Nuno and Rafa out of work. Palace haven't exactly had inspiring managerial choices in recent times so probably someone safer like Howe, though I suspect he's waiting on the Everton job first.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2021, 09:10:06 pm »
Lucien Favre has agreed to take over, pending the award of a work permit, says the Athletic.

Quality get for them, especially when Everton and Spurs are fumbling for a new boss.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2021, 09:19:46 pm »
What makes me laugh is seeing a few Everton fans angry they haven't gone for Favre, because they don't want an ageing coach who's best days are behind him like Rafa, despite Favre being older and not achieving anywhere near the glory Rafa has. I don't think it'll be a particularly good appointment for Palace, even if a lot of it is down to the squad being overhauled, can actually see it going similar to De Boer even if he is a better manager. He should last a little longer than him anyway!

I think Palace will be right down there next season, but do think they'll stay up
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2021, 10:55:07 pm »
Good luck to him but he's going to spectacularly fail. Probably of no fault of his own too. The high player turnover coupled with the fact that the ones that are staying aren't very good at all makes the job a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2021, 12:29:26 am »
Kudos to Palace they've put Spurs and Everton to shame with this.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2021, 12:59:12 am »
The first season will be challenging for him because he will need to assemble pretty much a brand new team.

The players they have will not be really trained in playing his style of football either, having previously employed Owl, Pulis, Fat Sam, Pardew etc. But I think Zaha and Eze can do well under him with time.

If he can avoid relegation I think he would have done well and then can build on that. 

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:57 am »
The first season will be challenging for him because he will need to assemble pretty much a brand new team.

The players they have will not be really trained in playing his style of football either, having previously employed Owl, Pulis, Fat Sam, Pardew etc. But I think Zaha and Eze can do well under him with time.

If he can avoid relegation I think he would have done well and then can build on that.
Eze is a super young player.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 11:39:36 am »
Interesting that like with Nuno, Favre's reps let Palace know of his interest, rather than Palace seeking him out. Only two coaches to follow him  which probably appealed to Palace. The Athletic has said they also interviewed Marco Silva. Lille and Fenerbahce were also interested in Favre; Everton considered a late pitch.

It will be interesting to see how much patience they give him. They want someone who can promote/work with younger players and play more progressive football, but they also have loads of players out of contract and a wantaway star that nobody wants to pay Palace's asking price

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2021, 11:50:50 am »
Not sure how Favre will work out at Palace.

If they stick with him, it may work out.

He does seem to work better in lower expectation situations put it that way!

Personality wise he’s definately a better fit for Palace than he was a club like Dortmund where they didn’t take to him from the get go.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2021, 12:13:45 pm »
Im happy, certainly gives me more hope than the usual suspects.

I don't recognise any parallels with Fraud de Boer.
Le Favre has successfully managed 6 teams in 3 countries. While de Boer is a simple Ajax drone, which is fine for revitalising Ajax, and possibly Holland, or even building a team from scratch,  but a liability anywhere else. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 12:18:19 pm by Fortneef »

Offline zimmie'5555

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2021, 03:38:57 pm »
Eze is a super young player.

Eze is also out for the season

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 04:45:39 pm »
Will be interesting to see how the fans take to him.  At times Favre's tactics for his team aren't far removed from Hodgson's and there's going to be a lot of new players to integrate.  He seems like a nice guy so hope it works out but I'm not sure any manager bar Pep or Klopp could guarantee success for Palace this season.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »
Eze is also out for the season
Didn't know that, shame.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 10:21:48 pm »
Favre now not going there apparently
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 10:24:52 pm »

Ha just saw that. Late offer from elsewhere? Or just realised that it’s too big a rebuilding job?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 10:41:30 pm »

Ha just saw that. Late offer from elsewhere? Or just realised that it’s too big a rebuilding job?

Athletic are saying he told Palace he doesn't feel ready to return to top-level management and has no other offers. And on that line of thinking, didn't Nuno leave Wolves in part as he wanted to be closer to his family in Portugal?

I wonder if Palace will go back after Marco Silva or the likes of Howe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:47:40 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:33 pm »
What a shitshow. Apparently he's just got cold feet and decided he wants longer out of the game.

At this point Spurs, Palace and Everton should just merge.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:42 pm »
We need someone who can in the short term rebuild a team on the relative cheap and long term get the academy producing. The one thing we've got is all those sarf lunnon cage footballers on our doorstep. There is money to spend.

Benitez.  If he can put up with no budget and Mike Ashley, a bit of cash and Parish should be happy days. 

Le Favre interesting. Successful at several clubs. 

IF Brentford had not got promoted , id have tried to poach the entire set-up. 

the usual suspects fill me with dread

Howe - smug faced twat. I just cant imagine him being successful
Lampard - not convinced he offers anything apart form chelsea loans
Dyche - clog to 15th forever, at best.  Burnley are very white arent they ?
Cooper - on paper he's done well. But Swansea fans seem to be volunteering to drive him here.
Ismael - genius or jammy? 

Incredibly level-headed response, something that seems rare when fans discuss manager options!

I'm kind of amazed Rafa hasn't been snapped up already, such a detail-oriented, hardworking manager could do a lot for quite a few poorly run premier league clubs, it seems like the hatchet job the pundits did on him during his stint with us really has stuck in the minds of a lot of people.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2021, 11:04:34 pm »
Ok im crying myself to sleep tonight  :butt

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2021, 11:07:16 pm »
If he doesn’t feel ready to return to top level management then surely he’s nailed on for Everton?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2021, 11:07:32 pm »
Ok im crying myself to sleep tonight  :butt

just tell yourself he wasn’t the right man for the job!

He probably wasn’t!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2021, 12:37:37 am »
Athletic are saying he told Palace he doesn't feel ready to return to top-level management and has no other offers. And on that line of thinking, didn't Nuno leave Wolves in part as he wanted to be closer to his family in Portugal?

I wonder if Palace will go back after Marco Silva or the likes of Howe

Wonder if he might end up at Goodison then.

Agh.  FFS, Nick.  Just read further down the page ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:39:47 am by jackh »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2021, 03:23:54 am »
Just think that anybody taking that job starts with the guillotine already hanging over them and Favre wisely realized that.  De Boer isn't a great or even good manager but they gave him all of 7 games and when you look at their schedule for this season you wonder how any manager will make it through even 7 here with the rebuild job they have.  Might finally put my money where my mouth is on Palace going down this year.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2021, 04:08:08 am »
I reckon they'll hire an Alan Pardew/Steve Bruce/Tony Pulis/Colin Wanker/Mark Hughes and spectacularly fail next season and go down. They've grossly mismanaged their situation. Knowing Hodgson's age and the fact that sooner or later he was going to retire and not plan for it is awful. That and the player contract situation.