Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 331872 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5360 on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:03 pm »
The summers here are gorgeous though. You might remember I used to live even farther north in Swedish Lapland? While we had a lot of sun there, the average temperature wasn't much to write home about. At least here we get 30+ in the summer......in last year's heatwave was almost too much, but that's a discussion for the climate emergency thread ;)

And yes - the people here are a LOT better - at least here, nobody's tried to recruit me into the latest pentecostal-oriented faith cult....

I'd like the summers, but you can keep the winters - I want to live where I can go in the garden in January and paint the fence, or work on the bikes. Too tied into my life here though to up sticks and go.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5361 on: January 22, 2023, 01:28:52 pm »
Sidebar: I'd love to up sticks and eff off out of the UK, but given my mental state I doubt anyone would take me. I'd urge anyone who fancies a fresh start to seize the opportunity though.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5362 on: January 22, 2023, 01:33:01 pm »
A bit milder here,which means it's also pissing down.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5363 on: January 22, 2023, 05:18:58 pm »
I would love to live in Perth Oz.     Got a friend who lives there.    Never gets below 17 degrees even in winter.    That would be bliss

At 51 now no chance of that

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5364 on: January 23, 2023, 02:42:10 pm »
Failing to keep a runway open after just 2cms of snow is one thing but seeing people bitch about delays and cancellations due to freezing fog makes me laugh. It's an entirely different phenomenon with an entirely unique set of dangerous circumstances. They can't even be compared. Yet people whinge and whine. What are airlines and airports meant to do? Set up massive hairdryers and alter an entire air mass covering a huuuuge area? Bitch on twitter all you like.

My first two weeks working at the Met Office at RAF Benson were in thick, freezing fog. 20m visibility. Cycled 6 miles each way on country roads in the dark n all. Cardboard bicycle? Aye, we were lucky in them days...

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5365 on: January 23, 2023, 03:07:47 pm »
Failing to keep a runway open after just 2cms of snow is one thing but seeing people bitch about delays and cancellations due to freezing fog makes me laugh. It's an entirely different phenomenon with an entirely unique set of dangerous circumstances. They can't even be compared. Yet people whinge and whine. What are airlines and airports meant to do? Set up massive hairdryers and alter an entire air mass covering a huuuuge area? Bitch on twitter all you like.

My first two weeks working at the Met Office at RAF Benson were in thick, freezing fog. 20m visibility. Cycled 6 miles each way on country roads in the dark n all. Cardboard bicycle? Aye, we were lucky in them days...

Scariest moment I've had on a plane is when a twin-prop I was on tried to land in thick fog at London City... then had to abort when we were about 50 foot off the ground.

We circled the city for about half an hour waiting for the fog to lift (which was actually awsome, as were in a cloudless sky and below is the tops of the taller buildings were poking through the fog). When it didn't, they took us to fucking Southend and put us on a double decker bus to take us to London. Twats.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5366 on: January 23, 2023, 03:14:25 pm »
Just take off blindly obviously. These dickheads can tear arse down a motorway in thick fog, so why not bomb down an empty runway in a plane? Piece of piss
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5367 on: January 23, 2023, 04:38:19 pm »
Just take off blindly obviously. These dickheads can tear arse down a motorway in thick fog, so why not bomb down an empty runway in a plane? Piece of piss
Whilst ILS can help you take off and land blind, for safety reasons you need visibility in case of any unexpected traffic on, e.g. taxiways or even the runway. Look what happened at JFK last week.........twice.........two potentially very nasty incidents prevented because ATC had eyes-on.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5368 on: January 23, 2023, 05:05:39 pm »
Whilst ILS can help you take off and land blind, for safety reasons you need visibility in case of any unexpected traffic on, e.g. taxiways or even the runway. Look what happened at JFK last week.........twice.........two potentially very nasty incidents prevented because ATC had eyes-on.

Oh I know its dangerous a fook, but that's the thinking these dicks will have. Fog was a contributor the the Tenerife disaster that killed 583 people

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5369 on: January 23, 2023, 05:22:03 pm »
Oh I know its dangerous a fook, but that's the thinking these dicks will have. Fog was a contributor the the Tenerife disaster that killed 583 people
Saw a documentary on that recently, interviewing the copilot of the plane on the ground hit by the other one from which nobody survived. Truly horrific.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5370 on: January 23, 2023, 05:37:17 pm »
Saw a documentary on that recently, interviewing the copilot of the plane on the ground hit by the other one from which nobody survived. Truly horrific.

The Dutch captain, who was the poster boy for KLM was the one who took off without proper clearance, thus hitting the PAn Am - it was the fire that killed most of the Pan Am passengers.

There was actually 1 survivor from the KLM flight. They were all allowed off the flight in the Airport and given special badges so they could be traced and put back on the plane, before it flew on to Gran Canaria. A Dutch holiday rep who lived on Tenerife decided to just sod off home without permission and didn't get back on.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5371 on: January 23, 2023, 06:21:51 pm »
Wasn't that one reason why they built a new airport on Tenerife? The one where the disaster happened was too high up at 2,077ft, so was often bathed in low cloud/fog.

The newer airport, Reina Sofia, is just 209 ft above sea level, so not prone to such problems.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:15:25 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5372 on: January 23, 2023, 07:45:42 pm »
Wasn't that one reason why the built a new airport on Tenerife? The one where the disaster happened was too high up at 2,077ft, so was often bathed in low cloud/fog.

The newer airport, Reina Sofia, is just 209 ft above sea level, so not projector such problems.

Yes it was. They'd decided in the late 60's to build it, but they only got a shift on after the disaster. Los Rodeos is now called Tenerife North (TFN) and handles about 5.5 million passengers a year, mainly Internal flights from Spain itself and the other islands.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5373 on: January 24, 2023, 03:30:34 pm »
Quick glance at the date, & it's 24th January already, & February next week, Christmas feels like yesterday rather than a month ago, ::) one good thing you do notice the days getting longer.
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5374 on: January 24, 2023, 04:25:39 pm »
Yes it was. They'd decided in the late 60's to build it, but they only got a shift on after the disaster. Los Rodeos is now called Tenerife North (TFN) and handles about 5.5 million passengers a year, mainly Internal flights from Spain itself and the other islands.

Because it came just a few years after that KLM/Pan-Am disaster, it's kind of the 'forgotten air disaster', but a Dan Air flight from Manchester to Tenerife in 1980 also crashed, killing all 146 on board. It was put into an ill-used holding pattern that the pilots didn't understand and was in a thick bank of cloud. They ended up flying into the mountainside.

Almost all the casualties were from the North West.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5375 on: January 24, 2023, 04:43:13 pm »
Slight aside here, I was doing some research (for a RAWKite actually) about the WW2 pioneer RAF crews who were testing radr to detect enemy aircraft whilst in flight - they were called the 'Nightfigters'. In one book, written by one of these brave pilots, I saw a metaphor for mountains that typified the dark humour of such crews at the time, especially given the circumstances (warfare) and conditions (all weathers, in the dark) - "stuffed clouds":-X

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #5376 on: January 24, 2023, 10:35:50 pm »

Because it came just a few years after that KLM/Pan-Am disaster, it's kind of the 'forgotten air disaster', but a Dan Air flight from Manchester to Tenerife in 1980 also crashed, killing all 146 on board. It was put into an ill-used holding pattern that the pilots didn't understand and was in a thick bank of cloud. They ended up flying into the mountainside.

A good mate of my dad was on that, remember it well.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5377 on: January 25, 2023, 08:53:06 am »

I read about that the other day while researching TFN airport, I'd never heard of it before that.

As someone who has holidayed a lot in Tenerife, I'm very familiar with watching Teide quickly go from clear to shrouded in cloud and fog

A good mate of my dad was on that, remember it well.

Dreadful that.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5378 on: January 27, 2023, 07:40:07 am »
Went for a day out yesterday to North Wales, Mount Snowdon & the Mountains around it looked spectacular with snow on the top of them.
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5379 on: January 27, 2023, 10:26:04 am »
Has Moel Famau still got snow on it, does anyone know?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5380 on: January 29, 2023, 01:29:04 pm »
Has Moel Famau still got snow on it, does anyone know?
A late reply I realise, but no. The Clwydian hills have no snow left on them. Still patchy stuff on Snowdonia though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5381 on: January 30, 2023, 12:03:08 pm »
A slow drift of the weather back toward unsettled shite.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #5382 on: January 30, 2023, 02:18:40 pm »
i'm cold today - is it just me? am i getting a chill?

(in liverpool)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5383 on: January 30, 2023, 02:43:24 pm »
Bah, we see this all the time in the Nordic regions, summer and winter, it's partly why Estonians call the summer "the white nights" as this is very common at the twilight hours.

Gorgeous though, eh?  :-*

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-64450253

Rare 'mother-of-pearl' cloud spotted in Scotland

(link contains plenty more stunning images!)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:47:07 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5384 on: January 30, 2023, 06:18:10 pm »
i'm cold today - is it just me? am i getting a chill?

(in liverpool)
I was in town earlier and there was a very nippy wind coming off the Mersey.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5385 on: January 30, 2023, 06:21:58 pm »
Boston weather folk are hyping up a cold snap for the weekend suppossed to be -10 celsius for a high on Saturday.Been lucky so far no wicked cold and no real snow.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5386 on: January 30, 2023, 06:45:05 pm »
I was in town earlier and there was a very nippy wind coming off the Mersey.
If the wind was coming from across BMD, you'd say it was bitter, right? :P

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5387 on: January 30, 2023, 07:28:53 pm »
If the wind was coming from across BMD, you'd say it was bitter, right? :P
Absolutely. 🥶

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5388 on: February 1, 2023, 11:29:15 am »
Into February already, Christmas feels like it was only yesterday, not 5 weeks ago, :o  means spring & the clocks going forward is only around the corner.
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5389 on: February 1, 2023, 11:39:40 am »
Into February already, Christmas feels like it was only yesterday, not 5 weeks ago, :o  means spring & the clocks going forward is only around the corner.

Can't wait, sick of winter, dark and cold days, watching the spend on the meter (thanks for that you Tory c*nts) and being unable to do things outside the house.

I've noticed its quite light around 7am now and still got a bit of light at 5:45pm.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5390 on: February 1, 2023, 11:57:30 am »
Can't wait, sick of winter, dark and cold days, watching the spend on the meter (thanks for that you Tory c*nts) and being unable to do things outside the house.

I've noticed its quite light around 7am now and still got a bit of light at 5:45pm.

Your not the only one, i hate winter, with the long dark nights, roll on April.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5391 on: February 1, 2023, 01:15:22 pm »
We're up to around 9 hours of daylight, roughly what we had in November. Another three hours to gain over the next six to seven weeks. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5392 on: February 1, 2023, 01:18:22 pm »
We're up to around 9 hours of daylight, roughly what we had in November. Another three hours to gain over the next six to seven weeks. :)

Lovely.

I want to put a new decking area in at the bottom of the garden, service the wifes car, get my main bike serviced, rebuild the other bike thats been apart for 12 years, I need the daylight and warmth.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5393 on: February 1, 2023, 01:44:10 pm »
The daytime sun here is now high enough to clear the roofline of the building to my south, which means I'm now getting natural sunlight into the bedroom and living room, which is lovely  :wave

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5394 on: February 1, 2023, 01:44:44 pm »
Current unsettled spell not likely to last long. High pressure forecast to move over the UK. Early signs are that it more likely to be a 'clean' high - less cloud, but increased chance of frost & fog.

Where the high pressure drifts to then has disagreement in the output models. Most show it slipping SE-wards, allowing more cloud and maybe unsettled weather into the North and west of the UK, but milder temps. Some have the high riding NE or E to link with a Siberian high; this would bring colder conditions.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5395 on: February 2, 2023, 08:52:56 am »
Is it just me or is it too dry already? No rain on the forecast for the next two weeks either. In February. If there is none in March, it'll be another bad year.

(I mean, personally I don't miss the rain, but it is needed)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5396 on: February 2, 2023, 11:05:33 am »
Is it just me or is it too dry already? No rain on the forecast for the next two weeks either. In February. If there is none in March, it'll be another bad year.

I had to water the pots, baskets and containers in the garden yesterday morning and even though we had a bit of rain in the afternoon it's still very dry.

The wind isn't helping as it's drying the ground as quickly as it's being rained on.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5397 on: February 2, 2023, 11:14:23 am »
There's been a worrying shift in rainfall patterns over the last few decades - the UK should be in a reasonably (relatively speaking) predictable pattern you can track throughout the year, with maxima usually peaking in Feb/Mar and Aug but overall, throughout the year, a decent spread.

Now the UK receives an increasing number of 'freak' events with massive precipitation levels but a longer gap between them.

With the ground drying out, it can't 'hold' the water as well as it normally would - then you get run-off.....with massive amounts......and that causes flashflooding.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5398 on: February 2, 2023, 11:24:30 am »

In lieu of Rob giving us his roving reservoir reports, I can say that I've seen Thirlmere and Booth Wood Reservoir up close in the past few weeks, and both were full to the brim.

(looking at UU's reservoir levels, it does look like northern reservoirs are above average for the time of year, whilst Dee/Vyrnwy levels a little below. Nothing to be concerned about, though)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5399 on: February 2, 2023, 11:26:08 am »
There's been a worrying shift in rainfall patterns over the last few decades - the UK should be in a reasonably (relatively speaking) predictable pattern you can track throughout the year, with maxima usually peaking in Feb/Mar and Aug but overall, throughout the year, a decent spread.

Now the UK receives an increasing number of 'freak' events with massive precipitation levels but a longer gap between them.

With the ground drying out, it can't 'hold' the water as well as it normally would - then you get run-off.....with massive amounts......and that causes flashflooding.

Tarmacking/paving areas formerly grass/soil doesn't help in the UK.

Wider afield, and shifting weather patterns is going to be the catalyst for major mass migrations in the years to come, and that often leads to conflict (even when the world is not as overcrowded as it is these days).