Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 147708 times)

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #1960 on: January 26, 2022, 02:55:10 pm »
Sony confirmed that for Horizon Forbidden West, the upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 version will be free.

Seeing as how there's a $10 (and I'm assuming £10) price difference between the two, won't people just buy the PS4 version and get the free upgrade for cheaper? Or is there something I'm missing?

They announced it when they were facing backlash, if I remember right, this will be the last free upgrade, as any others will have the £10 fee.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1961 on: January 26, 2022, 03:30:46 pm »
They announced it when they were facing backlash, if I remember right, this will be the last free upgrade, as any others will have the £10 fee.

Scummy practice that. Them, EA and 2K should be ashamed of themselves

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1962 on: January 26, 2022, 10:42:21 pm »
Scummy practice that. Them, EA and 2K should be ashamed of themselves

Is it that shitty?

Back when the PS1 or PS2 were out nobody would think twice about both being sold separately for different prices during the period of the console crossover.

If the 2 items have a different price surely it’s reasonable to ask for the difference to upgrade from one to the other?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1963 on: January 26, 2022, 10:54:58 pm »
It's just daft more than anything, Dying Light 2 have the same thing. Checked the price on Curry's, PS4 copy is £5 cheaper I mean what's the point?

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: January 27, 2022, 07:11:14 am »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1965 on: January 27, 2022, 07:43:27 am »
You can get 15 percent off HFW at Currys using code ALOY15

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1966 on: January 27, 2022, 07:50:41 am »
It's just daft more than anything, Dying Light 2 have the same thing. Checked the price on Curry's, PS4 copy is £5 cheaper I mean what's the point?

Exactly. They're banking on people not knowing about the free upgrade to stump up more money for the PS5 version
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: January 29, 2022, 10:43:44 pm »
Is it that shitty?

Back when the PS1 or PS2 were out nobody would think twice about both being sold separately for different prices during the period of the console crossover.

If the 2 items have a different price surely it’s reasonable to ask for the difference to upgrade from one to the other?
It is. You're paying for a graphics setting. Other than some upgraded effects or performance, cross gen games offer nothing that's a major difference. Imagine having to pay for graphics settings on PC games. The comparison of the PS1 to PS2 is not the best. The difference in PS2 games over the PSX was a massive generational difference.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:45:55 pm by Macphisto80 »

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: January 30, 2022, 02:27:27 am »
It is. You're paying for a graphics setting. Other than some upgraded effects or performance, cross gen games offer nothing that's a major difference. Imagine having to pay for graphics settings on PC games. The comparison of the PS1 to PS2 is not the best. The difference in PS2 games over the PSX was a massive generational difference.

Except you’re not just paying for the graphics settings are you?

You’re paying for the new console features, the 3d audio, haptic feedback, 60-120fps at higher resolution, faster loading.

Easily worth £10.

I eargerly await your long winded argument that i’m simply not going to read :wave

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: January 30, 2022, 08:39:53 pm »
Except you’re not just paying for the graphics settings are you?

You’re paying for the new console features, the 3d audio, haptic feedback, 60-120fps at higher resolution, faster loading.

Easily worth £10.

I eargerly await your long winded argument that i’m simply not going to read :wave
Right. So on top of paying the asking price of what should be standard features from next gen hardware, youre accepting paying publishers for the privilage of something that should be obligatory by playing something on that hardware? Paying for the privilage of taking advantage of something you already paid for? OK. Thats some mad logic, that.

Imagine doing the same for PC hardware.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:41:58 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: January 31, 2022, 09:58:16 am »
Don't bother, he'll never take his tongue out from the Sony hole

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: January 31, 2022, 06:01:58 pm »
Sony have bought bungie.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1972 on: January 31, 2022, 06:26:14 pm »
That came out of left field. Glad that they’ve essentially confirmed they’ll continue to release games on PC, bodes well for future Sony acquisitions.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: January 31, 2022, 08:16:42 pm »
Sony have bought bungie.

Kinell, will there even be any third party developers in the future?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: January 31, 2022, 08:23:52 pm »

This is what consolidation does. MS set the ball rolling with Zenimax and then Bethesda. Even though Sony had been working on this for half a year its still a result of that. They need to secure live services and Bungie know that area. Also if COD disappears off Playstation then they have a developer who know the FPS genre pretty well.

More in the pipeline.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: February 1, 2022, 12:04:07 am »
Sony have bought bungie.

So Destiny.  Isn’t that Bungie’s only real concern ? 

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: February 1, 2022, 01:23:24 am »
It's just IP's. To be honest, Activision is no great loss to Sony. At least not as far as my preferences go. Call of Duty and Fortnight? Keep em. They're fucking shite, and Bobby Kotick is the spawn of Satan. c*nt.

Bungie is a bit of a surprise for MS to let go of, seeing that the core of their team is still there, as far as I'm aware of, that built the original Halo's. Not a fan of Destiny, but I'm sure with enough cash thrown at them, they could come up with something fresh again, so it's a smart acquisition. Sony don't really need many 3rd parties. They've a plethora of lesser known indy mid shelf game studios there that they are putting money into, and for me, that's more exciting than any of these so called "AAA" developers and their boring predictable shite they pump out every year. The industry needs new blood and new ideas.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2022, 01:29:38 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: February 1, 2022, 04:38:50 am »
The cost of development for AAA games is just too high at this point that one big flop could send a company belly up. Much safer to sell to a platform holder/Tencent/Embracer. None of these publishers would've been sold off if they didn't want to.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: February 1, 2022, 10:09:45 am »
It's just IP's. To be honest, Activision is no great loss to Sony. At least not as far as my preferences go. Call of Duty and Fortnight? Keep em. They're fucking shite, and Bobby Kotick is the spawn of Satan. c*nt.

Bungie is a bit of a surprise for MS to let go of, seeing that the core of their team is still there, as far as I'm aware of, that built the original Halo's. Not a fan of Destiny, but I'm sure with enough cash thrown at them, they could come up with something fresh again, so it's a smart acquisition. Sony don't really need many 3rd parties. They've a plethora of lesser known indy mid shelf game studios there that they are putting money into, and for me, that's more exciting than any of these so called "AAA" developers and their boring predictable shite they pump out every year. The industry needs new blood and new ideas.

They're not really, they pretty much all moved on

Sony needed an FPS studio and now they've got one. I can't stand Destiny personally but it's a massive game so they know they have something there. What is funny though is that they walked away from MS as they didn't want to be under anyone's control and now they've landed under Sony

Makes me laugh that Crash and Spyro are now owned by Xbox and the developers who created Halo are now owned by Sony. How times change!

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1979 on: February 1, 2022, 10:59:56 am »
The Bungie acquisition is a bit different, it will become a subsidiary with full creative control and will remain multi platform.
:D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: February 1, 2022, 11:29:18 am »
The Bungie acquisition is a bit different, it will become a subsidiary with full creative control and will remain multi platform.

Pro consumer Sony with another win.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: February 1, 2022, 01:11:06 pm »

The issue is this is the first generation EVER where the cross over have been this long, because of chip shortages.  And even then - never before when a console gen change over happens have you been able to buy the previous version's game, and then in 6 months, claim a "free upgrade".  It is a pro-consumer thing to offer it in the first place, and no, this gen is as big an upgrade graphically as, say, PS1 to PS2, or PS3 to PS4.

If they didn't offer it in the first place, and just went with the default "if you want to play the game on two different platforms, buy two copies noobs" then would you have less an issue, then if they did offer it for 18 months, and then stopped?  Back in the day, at the end of the gen, you might have had a few games in the release window still supporting the older generation of console, but no free upgrade, and then support would be cut.  Think of FIFA 06 - came out during the X360 window, so was available on GC, PS2, Xbox, and X360 (and if you wanted to play it on both Xbox and X360, that was 2 separate games you bought) - the following year, despite Xboxes and PS2s still selling like PS4s are now, only issued on PS3/X360.

Also, the difference in price - yep, that has happened virtually every single generational change as well - it's not a new thing. 

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: February 1, 2022, 02:05:24 pm »
They're not really, they pretty much all moved on

Sony needed an FPS studio and now they've got one. I can't stand Destiny personally but it's a massive game so they know they have something there. What is funny though is that they walked away from MS as they didn't want to be under anyone's control and now they've landed under Sony

Makes me laugh that Crash and Spyro are now owned by Xbox and the developers who created Halo are now owned by Sony. How times change!
Did they form the studio that made Titan Fall? Or was that ex Activision? Cant be sure anymore. Those fuckers EA go around and swallow everything up before consigning them to their graveyard.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1983 on: February 1, 2022, 02:11:48 pm »
Nah, that was Respawn.
AHA!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: February 3, 2022, 01:15:20 pm »
Anyone planning on getting Dying Light 2? I really enjoyed the first one, and definitely looking to get this one at some point but I read the Digital Foundry performance review and both Series X and PS5 performance mode is 60fps at 1080p, I mean that's just poor for current-gen consoles. Techland will no doubt optimise it in the future to at least 1440p, but given how long this game has been in development does seem poor to be releasing with a mode using 1080p.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: February 5, 2022, 10:03:30 am »
Just watched that GT7 state of play. Seriously that was a great showing, so much content they've implemented as well as the return of classic tracks. Definitely day one for me.

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: February 8, 2022, 10:31:21 am »
Anyone planning on getting Dying Light 2? I really enjoyed the first one, and definitely looking to get this one at some point but I read the Digital Foundry performance review and both Series X and PS5 performance mode is 60fps at 1080p, I mean that's just poor for current-gen consoles. Techland will no doubt optimise it in the future to at least 1440p, but given how long this game has been in development does seem poor to be releasing with a mode using 1080p.

I plan on getting it along with Horizon. I’ve heard that there are a load of bugs though at present with Dying Light 2 so in some ways your probably best to wait out until the release enough patches and maybe by then it can be picked up for a bit less than what it currently is selling at. One can hope  ;D

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: February 8, 2022, 10:47:23 am »
Just watched that GT7 state of play. Seriously that was a great showing, so much content they've implemented as well as the return of classic tracks. Definitely day one for me.

I've been looking forward to this for ages. Great video on YouTube showing how the game has developed since the first one 25 years ago.

I don't think my fingers are up to it now though unfortunately.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: February 8, 2022, 02:43:33 pm »
Anyone got any game recommendations? Had my PS5 a while now and I don't feel like I'm getting the most of it - most of the games I've got are PS4 games, plus CoD Vanguard & FIFA (yes, I know).

Looking for some MMORPG/RPGs ideally.

Quite looking forward to the new Harry Potter game, too.

Previously enjoyed TLOU 1 & 2 a fair bit.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: February 8, 2022, 02:58:23 pm »
Horizon Forbidden West is out in 10 days. Thats an open world RPG.

The best PS5 exclusive for me that isn't cross gen is probably Ratchet and Clank. Unfortunately we are going to have to put up with more cross gen stuff for the rest of the year due to chip shortages.

Isn't FFXIV one of the bests mmorpg's now?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: February 8, 2022, 03:06:21 pm »
Demon's Souls if you fancy throwing your controller in fits of rage.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: February 8, 2022, 03:09:41 pm »
Demon's Souls if you fancy throwing your controller in fits of rage.
I'm used to that.

Is Demon's Souls related to Dark Souls? Never played them before, but I'd give it a go.

Horizon Forbidden West is out in 10 days. Thats an open world RPG.

The best PS5 exclusive for me that isn't cross gen is probably Ratchet and Clank. Unfortunately we are going to have to put up with more cross gen stuff for the rest of the year due to chip shortages.

Isn't FFXIV one of the bests mmorpg's now?

Haven't played Ratchet and Clank in years - what's your issue with cross gen??

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1992 on: February 8, 2022, 03:11:56 pm »
I'm used to that.

Is Demon's Souls related to Dark Souls? Never played them before, but I'd give it a go.

Demon's Souls is a remake of the original Demon's Souls which came out before Dark Souls and although it doesn't tie to any of the Dark Souls series, it laid the groundwork. Deffo worth your time.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: February 8, 2022, 03:14:57 pm »
Demon's Souls is a remake of the original Demon's Souls which came out before Dark Souls and although it doesn't tie to any of the Dark Souls series, it laid the groundwork. Deffo worth your time.
Brilliant - thank you!

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: February 9, 2022, 03:02:23 am »
There's a F2P MMORPG coming out fairly soon that has a lot of buzz about it, (Lost Ark I think?) but i've no idea if that's on consoles or what. Looks like those isometric rpgs like Diablo and Baldurs gate
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: February 9, 2022, 07:24:33 am »

Your still bound to hardware from 2013, before that even so games aren't really designed around the new hardware, except the odd games like Demons Souls and Ratchet. Most games get a bump in resolution and frames, some light RT but that's it. If you played Demons Souls and Ratchet and then played a game made for PS4 with some PS5 upgrades you'd see the difference.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: February 9, 2022, 10:20:38 am »
There's a F2P MMORPG coming out fairly soon that has a lot of buzz about it, (Lost Ark I think?) but i've no idea if that's on consoles or what. Looks like those isometric rpgs like Diablo and Baldurs gate

Not coming to consoles.

Funnily enough, just been reading about it and it currently has 500,000 concurrent players before it’s even gone f2p.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1997 on: February 9, 2022, 10:21:54 am »
yeah it's this one

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/lost-ark-review/

no interest myself. Not on consoles I don't think. Massive in Korea

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1998 on: February 9, 2022, 10:52:13 am »

Am I right in understanding that the cross-gen early releases will be developmentally 'on a leash', given that they will need to cater to 8th gen technology rather than running free and really pushing 9th gen possibilities?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1999 on: February 9, 2022, 11:24:28 am »
Am I right in understanding that the cross-gen early releases will be developmentally 'on a leash', given that they will need to cater to 8th gen technology rather than running free and really pushing 9th gen possibilities?

Depends. Some developers are better resourced than others and at the scoping and design change not everything depends on the final platform. A worrying amount of stuff seems to come near the end anyway; cutting is shipping quite literally, optimisations can happen anytime but the product improves continuously through its lifecycle

Development is development, though it may be different for each studio. As a general rule internal builds will "run free" and then the porting or differentation takes place.

So I don't think we're compromised by 8th gen too much, but obviously making seperate versions costs development time (even if you outsource it, you still have to nail down a compatyible feature set).

Every generation improves towards the end anyway, losing the PS4 will help in a development time sense, but I think just as important is how devs are getting on with the PS5 hardware

I mean, I remember in this thread before PS5 came out saying 4K 60fps with ray tracing is the standard for me. Someone said it ain't possible? It is my actual job now lol

Miles Morales is pretty damn close to what I wanted already, AssCreed Valhalla, I think we already see that the PS5's design is easy enough for devs to get to grips with.

So you're right, and for that reason I want to support those teams that DO take advantage of the PS5. I am most excited about those new properties that don't exist yet who are motivated solely by what the PS5 can be pushed to do. Whereas yer Rockstars and Sony studios will have the resources to cope for any version and I wouldn't expect much compromise, the process is the process
« Last Edit: February 9, 2022, 11:26:40 am by ToneLa »