Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2877184 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #23240 on: June 23, 2022, 11:42:26 am »
The issue is we literally have multiple replacements for Mane's position. We have ZERO for Salah's, no one should be relying on teenagers to replace one of the best goal scorers in premier league history.

If we were City with cash to burn then fine. But I would hazard a bet that there is no way they are going to be able to fund Jude Bellingham, and also fund a replacement that is even anywhere in the vicinity talent wise as Salah. If they can't get him to sign a new deal, he should be sold for as much as they can get and the best quality replacement they can find brought in this window. We can't afford to be indecisive about it unless we want to massively risk sliding back to the pack and just contending for top 4 again.

People can criticise Salah for his second half of the season, and how it was Mane carrying the team during that time. He not only scored 23 goals, he led the league in assists with 13. That's 36 goal contributions. Compared to Mane's 16 goals and 2 assists, for 18 total contributions. The gaping hole he would leave in terms of our attack is a totally different chasm to what Mane leaves, even as important as Mane was with his runs and work rate. I get that you ideally don't want to lose that this coming season, but if it can help fund an elite RW, as opposed to us trying to sign some half rate cheap filler next summer because he leaves for free, I'd rather risk that. Unless the club are confident they have the funds to bring in Bellingham and a potentially top quality expensive replacement next summer.

We will have the money to bring in two quality players next summer or at least two big signings anyway. Not like £100m each (how many players currently warrant that) but someone like Nkunku on £50-60m, which is a lot and possible. Then we have some proven goal scorers like Gnabry available on a similar situation than Salah.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23241 on: June 23, 2022, 01:00:36 pm »
We will have the money to bring in two quality players next summer or at least two big signings anyway. Not like £100m each (how many players currently warrant that) but someone like Nkunku on £50-60m, which is a lot and possible. Then we have some proven goal scorers like Gnabry available on a similar situation than Salah.

He's just signed a new contract with a 60m release clause
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #23242 on: June 23, 2022, 01:02:19 pm »
We should do a online twitter poll or something...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23243 on: June 23, 2022, 03:25:52 pm »

Tim Bolton will be robbing this post for his twatter, claiming he's ours in 12 months
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #23244 on: June 23, 2022, 03:27:57 pm »
I'm still on pins and needles in anticipation of learning what it is all about, since it's not about the money.

Also am interested in finding out the fans that know this information already.
Captain’s armband???

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #23245 on: June 23, 2022, 03:55:18 pm »
But what do the Egyptian public think, that's what really matters
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #23246 on: June 23, 2022, 03:57:20 pm »
But what do the Egyptian public think, that's what really matters

We should do a online twitter poll or something...

Just saying...

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #23247 on: June 23, 2022, 08:28:39 pm »
I'm still on pins and needles in anticipation of learning what it is all about, since it's not about the money.

Also am interested in finding out the fans that know this information already.

He’s after a deal like Alex Guinness had with Star Wars.

Salah’s agent is trying to negotiate that he receives 2% of the royalties Liverpool make from merchandise or some bullshit.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #23248 on: June 23, 2022, 10:46:34 pm »

60m euros.  £51m.  Doable next summer, along with Bellingham possibly.  But if bobby walks on a free, we won’t be able to replace him too.  Maybe by then Gordon is ready for a bigger role as part of the front 6 (Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Nkunku, Carvelo, Gordon)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23249 on: June 24, 2022, 09:43:10 am »
Mo Money, Mo Problems

;D

Can't be arsed with this saga for another 12 months.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23250 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:13 am »
Feel sorry for Klopp. He's going to be pestered with questions all season.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23251 on: June 24, 2022, 10:42:44 am »
I'm resigned to losing him. Whilst we're probably offering him decent wages, he'll get a hefty signing on fee and better wages if he waits a year.

Obviously hope we can come to a compromise in some way, but the longer it drags on the less likely it looks.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #23252 on: June 24, 2022, 10:59:06 am »
Love Mo but money ain't everything

Only a poor man would say that.

Like when ugly people say beauty is only skin deep.

;)

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #23253 on: June 24, 2022, 11:00:09 am »
Get Nkunku in a year for 60m. Job done.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23254 on: June 24, 2022, 02:18:22 pm »
hopefully we have some positive response from teh players that do want to belong to this great club.

I am feeling a bit sick after Mane goes and FSG and Ward's team cannot seem to come up with something Mo and agent will sign while trying to keep to some of our own wage structures.

We really needed to have sorted this out this out last summer.

I can only see one result Mo leaving on a free - which is his prerogative. Just poor business on our part, bad timing, tapping up, greed (or their feeling of financial value for their final contracts)  or what ever reason.

So we start again this July.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23255 on: June 24, 2022, 05:57:51 pm »
hopefully we have some positive response from teh players that do want to belong to this great club.

I am feeling a bit sick after Mane goes and FSG and Ward's team cannot seem to come up with something Mo and agent will sign while trying to keep to some of our own wage structures.

I can only see one result Mo leaving on a free - which is his prerogative. Just poor business on our part, bad timing, tapping up, greed (or their feeling of financial value for their final contracts)  or what ever reason.

bollocks.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23256 on: June 24, 2022, 06:42:59 pm »

I can only see one result Mo leaving on a free - which is his prerogative. Just poor business on our part, bad timing, tapping up, greed (or their feeling of financial value for their final contracts) or what ever reason.

Why is it bad business on our part to not pay 400K+ weekly and shatter our wage structure (and meet whatever other demands that he and his agent have) to give him a bumper contract that will let him get old on our dime?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23257 on: June 24, 2022, 06:48:26 pm »
Why is it bad business on our part to not pay 400K+ weekly and shatter our wage structure (and meet whatever other demands that he and his agent have) to give him a bumper contract that will let him get old on our dime?

The bad business surely is continually letting players run down their contracts.

Origi had a year option on his deal which if it had been taken up would have seen Salah, Mane, Firmino and Origi with their contracts ending next summer. The same time as Keita and Ox. So we managed to agree contracts that for four forwards and two attacking mids that all would have ran out at the same time.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23258 on: June 24, 2022, 07:07:05 pm »
The club has offered him a great contract.
If he signs he will become the best paid player in our club history.
I don't see why the outrageous wages paid by some clubs should be held as leverage against us. Some clubs can sustain that level of spending but we obviously can't and rightly will not.
If the wages are the main issue he isn't signing then we can't fault the club really.
For those saying we left it too late, that is not the case. We approached him with 2 years left on his deal, we can't go giving new and improved contracts to players every single year, no matter how important they are.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23261 on: June 24, 2022, 07:20:53 pm »
The club has offered him a great contract.
If he signs he will become the best paid player in our club history.
I don't see why the outrageous wages paid by some clubs should be held as leverage against us. Some clubs can sustain that level of spending but we obviously can't and rightly will not.
If the wages are the main issue he isn't signing then we can't fault the club really.
For those saying we left it too late, that is not the case. We approached him with 2 years left on his deal, we can't go giving new and improved contracts to players every single year, no matter how important they are.

At the start of last season, we had potentially six big money attacking players with two years left on their deals. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi, Keita and Ox.

The brutal reality is that we haven't managed to renegotiate any of those deals and Mane could be the only one who leaves for a fee. I know we have to be realistic with the wages we pay but is it sustainable to continually lose players on a free.

You look at the money we have banked from a truly remarkable series of runs in European competition and there is an argument that it is that revenue that has allowed us to refresh our forward line. Again is that sustainable in the long term.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23262 on: June 24, 2022, 09:34:19 pm »
FSG have had fans anxious numerous moments in the history of their ownership, because of the fact that they were doing things differently by trying to bring high level quantitative methods and other more basic types of corporate managerial competence to football. Most of those occasions, they ended up winning praise for their excellent management.

Why haven’t they earned the benefit of the doubt of so many fans? Who knows what the recruitment, coaches and scouts have worked out that leads them to hold onto Salah for another year rather than cashing in? It wouldn’t suprise me if, a few years down the line, Barnay Ronay and co. will write eulogies about Liverpool’s mastery of squad transitioning and contract negotiations with senior players, while some academic at Loughborough university or somewhere will add it to their module on managing major generational transition at organisations. And then everyone will try to copy us.

That’s not to say that the situation with Salah is actually just a product of Liverpool’s genius and will be proven to be the case, as I don’t actually know, but it is to point out that our fans have been wrong sufficiently many times in relation to club decisions on squad management and recruitment in the FSG era that they should suspend judgement until matters play out.

But if we are here on Rawk to share our layman’s opinions, then I, for one, think it would be crazy to allow both Mane and Salah to leave in one summer: that seems like too much change and loss of continuity in the dressing room etcetera.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:36:40 pm by rscanderlech »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23263 on: June 25, 2022, 01:45:47 am »
jealous of NUNEZ!

I think he's competing more with Ronaldo in that department.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #23264 on: June 25, 2022, 04:53:19 am »
60m euros.  £51m.  Doable next summer, along with Bellingham possibly.  But if bobby walks on a free, we won’t be able to replace him too.  Maybe by then Gordon is ready for a bigger role as part of the front 6 (Nunez, Diaz, Jota, Nkunku, Carvelo, Gordon)

Mike Gordon?!?  :o :P
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #23265 on: June 25, 2022, 09:34:09 am »
At the start of last season, we had potentially six big money attacking players with two years left on their deals. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Origi, Keita and Ox.

The brutal reality is that we haven't managed to renegotiate any of those deals and Mane could be the only one who leaves for a fee. I know we have to be realistic with the wages we pay but is it sustainable to continually lose players on a free.

You look at the money we have banked from a truly remarkable series of runs in European competition and there is an argument that it is that revenue that has allowed us to refresh our forward line. Again is that sustainable in the long term.

A few years ago no one thought that we could ever replace the holy trinity of Salah, Firmino, and Mane, but next season we’ll only have one of those 3 in our first choice XI and Firmino probably isn’t even first choice backup.  The replacements for Mane and Firmino in that starting XI are much younger and potentially can give the club another 8+ years and will likely be on lower wages.

If Firmino chooses to leave on a free then we already have Carvalho as his long term replacement.  Origi was already replaced by Jota.  Ox leaving on a free is no bad thing as he is not part of the first team plans and we would have sold him if the offers would have been there, and all indications seem to be that Keita will get a new contract.

So of your list Salah is the only one that really causes us an issue if he leaves on a free, and it’s pretty clear that the club have been very active in trying to keep him and that we can’t force him to be sold if he doesn’t want to be.  Not to mention in the fact that selling our best player (and one of the best in the world) in a season where we have a legitimate chance of winning the PL and CL just to make our financial position stronger is something that most fans would be very critical of.

We will see players running down their contracts more and more in football, and it is only a problem if you do not have appropriate succession planning in place or if you didn’t get appropriate return for your money on the original transfer payment and wages over the life of the contract (hello Mr Pogba).  That is clearly not the case at Liverpool, and if Salah chooses to leave on a free transfer then we should all be confident that we’ll have a plan in place to replace him and will spend money to do so if necessary, and obviously no one can argue that we didn’t get value for money from Salah’s performances on the pitch.

It’s easy to find doom and gloom if you want to look for it (which many clearly want to do), but I don’t know how anyone can look at our forward line for next season and the amount of quality young players that we have in the squad and think that we are in a bad position for the future.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #23266 on: June 25, 2022, 09:37:18 am »
I know it’s pissing into the wind, but is there a chance….any chance, that this isn’t allowed to descend into one of Al’s personal anti-FSG threads that gets locked in about a week?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23267 on: June 25, 2022, 09:41:46 am »

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23268 on: June 25, 2022, 10:04:57 am »

Yes, it is. Because the cost to the club of long term contracts with players on that list, who want twice as much money, or who are no longer starters, or who are simply not good enough to justify another long term contract, is far greater.

It includes not only the realized cost, but also the opportunity cost of not being able to bring in a younger, potentially better player, because the existing player is taking up a slot in the squad, and eating up payroll.

You could have a strict policy of putting a player up for sale the moment they get to within 2 years of contract end. But that would probably be self-defeating.  The player might be crucial to the team’s style, the buying clubs would game it, dressing room morale, etc

The only practical solution is to be sensible about transfer fees paid for the incoming player. To wait for players to run down their contracts. That is basically what clubs are doing. You don’t see those 150million, 200 million transfers anymore.

That's why we only got 30 million or so for Sadio, and it is why we will get far less than people think or perhaps expect to get, for Salah.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:12:12 am by FLRed67 »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #23269 on: June 25, 2022, 10:05:46 am »

Well, no

That’s the brutal reality as you say. We as fans are all just happy to ignore the fact Klopp is like a wizard helping us float

Our financial structure isn’t anywhere near that of city. Who are now literally buying league titles. Paying everyone half a million quid a week and activating the greed setting in all other good players around their competitors. Sitting up like the Manchurian candidate eyes glazed ‘why aren’t I getting £400k a week’

With Chelsea’s oil money gone and if Klopp leaves or we have a downturn in performance the powers that be will be forced to look into city. At the moment everyone just ignores it because it stops nasty old liverpool winning the league. They’re single handedly destroying football

Just moaning blankly that FSG aren’t pouring money into us helps nothing either. They’re business men nor bored Arab consortium with fleets of gold cars and slaves
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:07:47 am by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #23270 on: June 25, 2022, 10:39:29 am »
There are plenty of other threads for those who hate our owners. Would it not be better if they use those threads to "debate" about it? This is Mo Salah's thread to talk about him, not the entire contracts of the rest of the team.  :butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #23271 on: June 25, 2022, 10:44:15 am »
Has he gone yet

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23272 on: June 25, 2022, 10:54:45 am »
Another season of Mo Salah. A refreshed, rejuvenated Mo Salah too.

I expect him to hit new heights post World Cup, when lots of players will return knackered, Mo will just go up a few gears, lead us to number 20 and ride off into the sunset.

If he takes us to 20 & 7 I’ll carry the great man over broken glass to wherever he wants to play next.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23273 on: June 25, 2022, 11:18:51 am »
Well, no

That’s the brutal reality as you say. We as fans are all just happy to ignore the fact Klopp is like a wizard helping us float

Our financial structure isn’t anywhere near that of city. Who are now literally buying league titles. Paying everyone half a million quid a week and activating the greed setting in all other good players around their competitors. Sitting up like the Manchurian candidate eyes glazed ‘why aren’t I getting £400k a week’

With Chelsea’s oil money gone and if Klopp leaves or we have a downturn in performance the powers that be will be forced to look into city. At the moment everyone just ignores it because it stops nasty old liverpool winning the league. They’re single handedly destroying football

Just moaning blankly that FSG aren’t pouring money into us helps nothing either. They’re business men nor bored Arab consortium with fleets of gold cars and slaves

You are missing the point. I completely agree that we cannot compete financially with oil states. Given that, can we afford to keep missing out on huge transfers fees when we are already at a disadvantage.

Salah is the perfect example. If we could have sold him last summer for £100m and he then goes on a free we have lost in effect around a £1m a week. That is not a dig at FSG or anyone else it is just the ridiculous world we live in.

At the moment we have Klopp and we are generating huge sums from the performance of the team. Would we be able to sign the likes of Diaz, Nunez and Jota without generating huge sums from the CL and domestic success.

Dortmund is a good example they were winning the bundesliga and reaching the latter stages of the CL under Klopp. No they have basically given up on competing with Bayern.

This time with Salah we have the funds to potentially break our transfer record with the acquisition of Nunez. So potentially losing out on a huge fee for Salah is palatable. However as I said in an earlier post is that sustainable in the long term. Or through no fault of our own will we be forced into selling players at the two year mark.

For me there is something fundamentally wrong with the game when a club with our levels of success cannot afford to keep a player like Salah.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #23274 on: June 25, 2022, 11:25:16 am »
There are plenty of other threads for those who hate our owners. Would it not be better if they use those threads to "debate" about it? This is Mo Salah's thread to talk about him, not the entire contracts of the rest of the team.  :butt

They’re locked, he’s got to go somewhere
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23275 on: June 25, 2022, 11:48:25 am »
You are missing the point. I completely agree that we cannot compete financially with oil states. Given that, can we afford to keep missing out on huge transfers fees when we are already at a disadvantage.

Salah is the perfect example. If we could have sold him last summer for £100m and he then goes on a free we have lost in effect around a £1m a week. That is not a dig at FSG or anyone else it is just the ridiculous world we live in.

At the moment we have Klopp and we are generating huge sums from the performance of the team. Would we be able to sign the likes of Diaz, Nunez and Jota without generating huge sums from the CL and domestic success.

The players have the power.  If Salah runs down his contract while avoiding injury he'll pocket a huge signing fee from his next club.  We lose out on a fee to replace him but he's clearly not thinking about LFC, he's thinking only of his own interests.

If he gets injured and his stock lowers he will think he can just sign an extension with us anyway.  He can refuse any attempt to sell him this summer if he wants that free agent pay day.

Clubs like PSG and City have mutilated the landscape when it comes to player wages and this is the result.  Elite players expect money that clubs can't afford unless they're illegally funded by nation states and oil czars.  People laugh at la Liga complaining that Madrid lost out but the points they raise aren't wrong.  The biggest and historically most successful clubs are being turned into also rans by kings and nations running clubs as PR exercises.

Football is on life support and these are the final few beeps before that flat line begins.  Nobody will do anything about it because the ones that could are making money and don't want to turn off the tap no matter the damage being done.

In contrast, people should appreciate the way Mane went about things because he made sure we got some money for him.  That is looking after his own interests while not completely screwing the club where you spent your best years.  Classy guy.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23276 on: June 25, 2022, 11:56:41 am »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #23277 on: June 25, 2022, 12:13:41 pm »
They’re locked, he’s got to go somewhere

Maybe the mods can unlock one, so this thread doesn't get even worse than what it already is.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23278 on: June 25, 2022, 01:03:48 pm »
The players have the power.  If Salah runs down his contract while avoiding injury he'll pocket a huge signing fee from his next club.  We lose out on a fee to replace him but he's clearly not thinking about LFC, he's thinking only of his own interests.

If he gets injured and his stock lowers he will think he can just sign an extension with us anyway.  He can refuse any attempt to sell him this summer if he wants that free agent pay day.

Clubs like PSG and City have mutilated the landscape when it comes to player wages and this is the result.  Elite players expect money that clubs can't afford unless they're illegally funded by nation states and oil czars.  People laugh at la Liga complaining that Madrid lost out but the points they raise aren't wrong.  The biggest and historically most successful clubs are being turned into also rans by kings and nations running clubs as PR exercises.

Football is on life support and these are the final few beeps before that flat line begins.  Nobody will do anything about it because the ones that could are making money and don't want to turn off the tap no matter the damage being done.

In contrast, people should appreciate the way Mane went about things because he made sure we got some money for him.  That is looking after his own interests while not completely screwing the club where you spent your best years.  Classy guy.

Yeh I agree with that.

I am thinking more of a solution. Once someone like Salah has become a global superstar, he holds all the power. As you say he can run his deal down and get huge wages and an obscene signing on fee. So how do clubs protect themselves. Do we offer longer highly incentivised deals at a younger age or perhaps offer contracts in which we have the right to automatic extensions.

Well run clubs like ourselves can compete whilst we are bringing in big transfer fees and reinvesting in the squad. As Bayern has shown though, once you get to the point where you are cherry-picking the best players on frees or reduced fees because the player is near the end of their contract. Then the League becomes completely dominated by one side.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #23279 on: June 25, 2022, 01:29:07 pm »
US is often one step ahead in sports business, and they have some insanely long contracts going beyond 10 years sometimes. It feels like we have the same trend