Author Topic: Coates confirmed  (Read 132309 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Re: Coates confirmed
« Reply #1160 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »
oh and you're not an internet warrior sitting behind his keyboard spitting spite and vitriol?

carragher is a player for our first 11 and will be judged on that by us and the management just the same.

naah justn't could be arsed  going out coz its cold, something to do & like to kid myself that I'm some sort of expert
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1161 on: October 20, 2011, 10:13:29 pm »

But I think that it's more important to the new players to have some sort of future line-up in mind. We're having the new players like Adam, Downing and Henderson adapting to a back 4 that will not be the same next season. Charlie Adam for example would no doubt benefit significantly from starting every chance we get 5-10 yards further up the pitch because the center back brings the ball to him, instead of having to come deep to collect it.

a comprehensively excellent post.

i've quoted this section because it goes to the heart of my thinking.  we have to play deep to compensate for carraghers inability to deal with pace or power.  i will cite last season's away game until the cows come home but being there it was actually embarrassing to see too rudimentary physical strikers batter the fuck out of our defence.  until we address the key issue of having a quality centre half who is regularly fit we will have to 'make do and mend' with someone who is trading on past glories.

football is a game infused with sentiment.  we all have our favourites and once i dreamed of a team of carraghers but istanbul is a long time ago and we need to think about how the first 11 work best as a unit.  i think that not only would adam benefit from a higher line and more compact 11 but even andy carroll.  right now we are over extended and that creates a space between the back four and the midfield which leads a lot of punters to presume that somehow its adam and lucas fault when really if the back four could press up we'd have a much more solid foundation for the rest of the team.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1162 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:45 pm »
to suggest that we're not playing to accommodate carragher seems disingenuous at best.

if we are, the manager is not doing his job.

I have more faith in the manager than to believe that he would accommodate individuals above what is best for the team. If anyone believes this not to be the case, I'd suggest that they know neither the manager nor the football club (& characters within it) as much as they may think that they do!

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1163 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:57 pm »
That is such a good post. The bit about the age our great defenders of the past were moved on with much less fuss is a really interesting comparison. A more modern one is perhaps Ferdinand. A far better player than Carra for me and yet his powers at a younger age appear on the wane. Yes he has had injuries which Carra has not had but United are already in the process of replacing him.

again a killer post.  ferdinand looks done for the mancs.  they have younger better players gaining first team time who will very quickly replace him.  they have missed neither ferdinand nor vidic since the start of the season.  would that that were the case at anfield.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1164 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:52 pm »
Fuck me... you don't want to start leaving decisions to them

A therefore 100% responsible...er

dry your eyes.  its time to move on.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1165 on: October 20, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »
& he'll get games, just not necessarily against Man U & Everton. He was bought fora number of years not weeks.

if you want to talk grammar starting a sentence with an ampersand is a straight red.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1166 on: October 20, 2011, 10:19:56 pm »
naah justn't could be arsed  going out coz its cold, something to do & like to kid myself that I'm some sort of expert

'naah' means 'no'?  'coz' means 'because'?  i can play the pedant all night long.  your neither open minded nor an expert. 

same as the rest of us but you need to pull your head out of your ass and start thinking about the future.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1167 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:23 pm »
if we are, the manager is not doing his job.

I have more faith in the manager than to believe that he would accommodate individuals above what is best for the team. If anyone believes this not to be the case, I'd suggest that they know neither the manager nor the football club (& characters within it) as much as they may think that they do!

or the manager is stuck with the hand he's got.  if we're so happy with our back four options why did we buy coates?  short term filler strikes me as unlikely given his pedigree.

lets see what happens in january and i look forward to your posts from that point on.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:16 pm »
'naah' means 'no'?  'coz' means 'because'?  i can play the pedant all night long.  your neither open minded nor an expert. 

same as the rest of us but you need to pull your head out of your ass and start thinking about the future.

but surely you are an expert, you can see my head up my  (funny wool word that), thinking about the future? Can't afford to at my age.

Stilll, no point in getting to a discussion with my betters, it'll only lead to another yellow. See you at West Brom, Chelsea & (another ampresand) Fulham, no doubt.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:32 pm »
It is so disappointing that there cannot be rational debate on this issue without people taking such defensive viewpoints and shunting aside any interesting points because they are deemed to be disrespectful to Jamie Carragher or simply brushing it all aside with a 'Kenny knows best’. We aren’t questioning the player’s legacy or the manager, it is a discussion.

The fact it this season he has struggled, even more so than last season and the one before that. If we want to make an assault on fourth place we really, really need a solid defence and unfortunately Carragher has been a big factor in a lot of costly errors our side has made, and above that we are now accommodating him with such a deep defensive line that is hampering our general play to boot.

The comment made before about who decided to have us play that deep was not a suggestion of anything untoward, it was just clear that we played far, far too deep in the last ten minutes of that game against United, and it wasn't simply nerves or protecting a lead. We were deep for the other 80, and we just took it to the extreme. This was based on Carragher's inclusion in the side. Enrique and Kelly are fast, Martin Skrtel isn't a slouch for a centre back and Carragher clearly struggles the further up the field he is.

Now the most important game is the next one at home to Norwich will not be an easy affair, we haven't had the best record against newly promoted sides of late and these will come for a point. But with Lucas suspended we are likely to go with a midfield of Gerrard and Adam, both obviously capable footballers but neither will provide the same amount of defensive cover as Lucas because it isn’t there job and it isn't what they are skilled at.

As a result they will play further forward, or be deep but in an unorthodox position, so we will be slightly vulnerable.To counter this we have to play a highdefensive line as we simply cannot afford a massive space between defence and midfield. It is too dangerous. Agger should start this one and I feel that at least for this one, from a tactical point of view it has be Carragher who makes way. Skrtel has been very good under Kenny, people may scoff as certain posters don’t rate him but he was our best defender under the King and hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped.

Skrtel and Agger is a good, solid partnership, the Danes injuries have prevented us seeing it more often but it was very successful for a spell under Kenny last term and the players are comfortable alongside one another and complement their partner’s style of play.

The problem is there is far too much nostalgia connected to Carragher, there are people who react in a frankly ridiculous way about a player who is plainly, it really is there for all to see, having a negative effect on our results, being questioned. I am sure a lot of it is down to his legacy and that people still want Carra in the side because he used to do what he did and probably even more due to the fact he is Scouse. But his past nor where he was born will help us tomorrow.

When Agger and Skrtel are fit, they should partner one another, Coates should be next in line. He is our future and sadly Carragher is our past and should have been a while ago. There is a danger, the longer we play him of damaging how he will be viewed by supporters.

None of the clubs ahead of us, or around us would continue to accommodate Carragher if he was in their squad. Not just play him. But accommodate him. Adapting our style of play to suit a 33 year old defender is not a sensible approach. Adapting our style of play for a 33 year old who is making mistakes on a weekly basis, even after we have dropped deeper to combat his lack of pace, is farcical.

There are certain defenders who can play forever because they read the game so well, Maldini, Hyypia, being tWo modern day examples. Their game was about reading, anticipation, movement, foreseeing a problem and countering it before the forward players had the chance to try it. Carragher has always been a more hustle and bustle type of player and it has served us brilliantly. A last second tackle, a good challenge, hunting a forward down, organising a defence that is what Carragher is about, however as his legs are going so too are his capabilities to do much of that and it is becoming a bit desperate.

We have to be ruthless, it has served us well before and it is the way forward. As Aristotle brilliantly wrote we used to ship out players at the height of their powers before they could go on the wane and replace them with the future. So why anyone who wants us back to the heights of Kenny’s playing days would see us persist with a player whose best days left him the best part of 3 seasons ago is beyond me.

It really is the time to integrate Coates into the XI, or run with Skrtel and Agger, and I feel it should start with Norwich.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:32:32 pm by 1021 »
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1170 on: October 20, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
or the manager is stuck with the hand he's got.  if we're so happy with our back four options why did we buy coates?  short term filler strikes me as unlikely given his pedigree.

lets see what happens in january and i look forward to your posts from that point on.

I think that you will see in my posts that I fully expect Carragher to be coming to the end of his Liverpool playing career. that said the manager is not going to be in a mad rush to replace him, particularly given the continual issues we have with Agger. He has bought Coates in the hope that he will be our future but I don't expect him to sacrifice his possible development by rushing him.

Had we been successful in signing Jones he would be in the team. We were not and the alternative we signed is new to not only the club, but the continent, the language, everything. He will hopefully be here for the long-run and hopefully go on to become a very important player.

Over Kenny's reign we have improved no-end, let's hope it continues for now & the future!

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1171 on: October 20, 2011, 10:35:17 pm »

but surely you are an expert, you can see my head up my  (funny wool word that), thinking about the future? Can't afford to at my age.

Stilll, no point in getting to a discussion with my betters, it'll only lead to another yellow. See you at West Brom, Chelsea & (another ampresand) Fulham, no doubt.

i'm not a wool i'm an oot and i take this as a concession that you have nothing more constructive to add.

goodnight vienna.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1172 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »
I think that you will see in my posts that I fully expect Carragher to be coming to the end of his Liverpool playing career. that said the manager is not going to be in a mad rush to replace him, particularly given the continual issues we have with Agger. He has bought Coates in the hope that he will be our future but I don't expect him to sacrifice his possible development by rushing him.

Had we been successful in signing Jones he would be in the team. We were not and the alternative we signed is new to not only the club, but the continent, the language, everything. He will hopefully be here for the long-run and hopefully go on to become a very important player.

Over Kenny's reign we have improved no-end, let's hope it continues for now & the future!

i would have LOVED if we'd signed jones but we didn't and we will make the best of what we have.

i like that you're retreating from your hectoring rhetoric and seem to be accepting the reality of the situation.

i'm up all night.  bring it.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
i'm not a wool i'm an oot and i take this as a concession that you have nothing more constructive to add.

goodnight vienna.

If you are a wool or an OOT, your opinion is less valid. Everyone knows that  ::)
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1174 on: October 20, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »
If you are a wool or an OOT, your opinion is less valid. Everyone knows that  ::)

Well if you are going to call an arse an ass, there's gonna be questions in the house, isn't there?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1175 on: October 20, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »
that said the manager is not going to be in a mad rush to replace him, particularly given the continual issues we have with Agger.

this specifically goes to the heart of the matter: carragher MUST be replaced and given his injuries perhaps agger too.

everyone: "agger to, to, to, push pineapple push the tree"

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1176 on: October 20, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »
1021, that is how I see it.

Jamie' best days are at least 2 years behind him. If we ignore the impact of his increasingly poor distribution and refusal to play from the back on our attacking play and ball retention, a brief glance through the goals we have conceded this season will have Carra culpable or partially culpable for about half of them.

On top of that, if you sat in the Main Stand where I sit most games in 2005-8 and watched Jamie, you would see him screaming the defence out and every time the opposition pushed the ball backwards he would drag his defence forward to squeeze the play. That just does not happen now anywhere near as much as it used to. He has been exposed one too many times in behind and like a boxer who has had one punch too many, just doesn't really fancy leaving that space any more.

Carra has been a really good player (great is questionable by comparison with the past) but time moves on and the cracks are there. I think I would play make a change on Saturday because Norwich do play a wide open game and I expect it to be end to end, so pace will be important.

PS I can't be arsed getting too involved with the grammatical corrections. Life's too short.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1177 on: October 20, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »

oot and proud.  bring it.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1178 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »
i would have LOVED if we'd signed jones but we didn't and we will make the best of what we have.

i like that you're retreating from your hectoring rhetoric and seem to be accepting the reality of the situation.

i'm up all night.  bring it.

Not retreating from anything, merely re-iterating what I said initially. ie. Kenny will judge what the team will be & I'll support that team, by support I mean turning up not back-biting on an internet forum, Coates will get games this season but at this moment that won't be against the likes of Everton of United, another month or six weeks down the line? who knows?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1179 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »
Not retreating from anything, merely re-iterating what I said initially. ie. Kenny will judge what the team will be & I'll support that team, by support I mean turning up not back-biting on an internet forum, Coates will get games this season but at this moment that won't be against the likes of Everton of United, another month or six weeks down the line? who knows?

Don't think i've seen anyone asking for him to play against the likes of Everton or United, more the Norwich, Wigans, Wolves games.

I would prefer Carragher to play against United and Everton

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1180 on: October 20, 2011, 10:46:14 pm »
It is so disappointing that there cannot be rational debate on this issue without people taking such defensive viewpoints and shunting aside any interesting points because they are deemed to be disrespectful to Jamie Carragher or simply brushing it all aside with a 'Kenny knows best’. We aren’t questioning the player’s legacy or the manager, it is a discussion.

The fact it this season he has struggled, even more so than last season and the one before that. If we want to make an assault on fourth place we really, really need a solid defence and unfortunately Carragher has been a big factor in a lot of costly errors our side has made, and above that we are now accommodating him with such a deep defensive line that is hampering our general play to boot.

The comment made before about who decided to have us play that deep was not a suggestion of anything untoward, it was just clear that we played far, far too deep in the last ten minutes of that game against United, and it wasn't simply nerves or protecting a lead. We were deep for the other 80, and we just took it to the extreme. This was based on Carragher's inclusion in the side. Enrique and Kelly are fast, Martin Skrtel isn't a slouch for a centre back and Carragher clearly struggles the further up the field he is.

Now the most important game is the next one at home to Norwich will not be an easy affair, we haven't had the best record against newly promoted sides of late and these will come for a point. But with Lucas suspended we are likely to go with a midfield of Gerrard and Adam, both obviously capable footballers but neither will provide the same amount of defensive cover as Lucas because it isn’t there job and it isn't what they are skilled at.

As a result they will play further forward, or be deep but in an unorthodox position, so we will be slightly vulnerable.To counter this we have to play a highdefensive line as we simply cannot afford a massive space between defence and midfield. It is too dangerous. Agger should start this one and I feel that at least for this one, from a tactical point of view it has be Carragher who makes way. Skrtel has been very good under Kenny, people may scoff as certain posters don’t rate him but he was our best defender under the King and hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped.

Skrtel and Agger is a good, solid partnership, the Danes injuries have prevented us seeing it more often but it was very successful for a spell under Kenny last term and the players are comfortable alongside one another and complement their partner’s style of play.

The problem is there is far too much nostalgia connected to Carragher, there are people who react in a frankly ridiculous way about a player who is plainly, it really is there for all to see, having a negative effect on our results, being questioned. I am sure a lot of it is down to his legacy and that people still want Carra in the side because he used to do what he did and probably even more due to the fact he is Scouse. But his past nor where he was born will help us tomorrow.

When Agger and Skrtel are fit, they should partner one another, Coates should be next in line. He is our future and sadly Carragher is our past and should have been a while ago. There is a danger, the longer we play him of damaging how he will be viewed by supporters.

None of the clubs ahead of us, or around us would continue to accommodate Carragher if he was in their squad. Not just play him. But accommodate him. Adapting our style of play to suit a 33 year old defender is not a sensible approach. Adapting our style of play for a 33 year old who is making mistakes on a weekly basis, even after we have dropped deeper to combat his lack of pace, is farcical.

There are certain defenders who can play forever because they read the game so well, Maldini, Hyypia, being tWo modern day examples. Their game was about reading, anticipation, movement, foreseeing a problem and countering it before the forward players had the chance to try it. Carragher has always been a more hustle and bustle type of player and it has served us brilliantly. A last second tackle, a good challenge, hunting a forward down, organising a defence that is what Carragher is about, however as his legs are going so too are his capabilities to do much of that and it is becoming a bit desperate.

We have to be ruthless, it has served us well before and it is the way forward. As Aristotle brilliantly wrote we used to ship out players at the height of their powers before they could go on the wane and replace them with the future. So why anyone who wants us back to the heights of Kenny’s playing days would see us persist with a player whose best days left him the best part of 3 seasons ago is beyond me.

It really is the time to integrate Coates into the XI, or run with Skrtel and Agger, and I feel it should start with Norwich.
I don't now if Dalglish will have the guts to replace Carra...

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: October 20, 2011, 10:48:14 pm »

I think we will all be supporting the team John in whatever guise that may be. It's just an opinion and it certainly doesn't mean I don't idolise the King or support every decision he makes.

I think what you are saying with the Phil Jones comments really is that Carra is playing now more because of other's imperfections than because of his own performances recently. That allied with Coates relative newness to the country and the League.

Offline saintslfc13

• Kopite
« Reply #1182 on: October 20, 2011, 10:48:20 pm »
Whose idea was it to drop off for 10 minutes after we scored and defend the edge of our box ? Kenny's, Stevie's or Carra's ?

I think that's a problem with our team mentality. It's something I've noticed us do for a while now, even under Rafa we'd often score and then sit back and let the other team have possession. The times we didn't however we were unplayable.

Against United we probably should've scored at least one before the half, the second half we had 2-3 gilt edge chances and quite a few more chances that with some luck would've gone in. De Gea made some good saves as well. The point is we did all that even with letting them have free run of the pitch for 10 minutes. The best way to keep the other team from scoring is keep possession. We need to start going for the kill after we draw first blood, rather than stand back to try to react to the oppositions adjustments. If we keep piling on the pressure there we probably grab a second and at worst our keeping possession will lead to less chances for them by default. It's not that we need to press up even, just keep the ball and wait for them to make a mistake.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: October 20, 2011, 10:50:11 pm »
I think that's a problem with our team mentality. It's something I've noticed us do for a while now, even under Rafa we'd often score and then sit back and let the other team have possession. The times we didn't however we were unplayable.

Against United we probably should've scored at least one before the half, the second half we had 2-3 gilt edge chances and quite a few more chances that with some luck would've gone in. De Gea made some good saves as well. The point is we did all that even with letting them have free run of the pitch for 10 minutes. The best way to keep the other team from scoring is keep possession. We need to start going for the kill after we draw first blood, rather than stand back to try to react to the oppositions adjustments. If we keep piling on the pressure there we probably grab a second and at worst our keeping possession will lead to less chances for them by default. It's not that we need to press up even, just keep the ball and wait for them to make a mistake.
We haven't really done that (kept possession under pressure when leading) since Alonso left.

hoonin

« Reply #1184 on: October 20, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »
Locked for the night. Yet another topic hijacked by those on both sides of the fence more concerned with proving themselves right by being a smart arse than rationally discussing different opinions.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:16:43 pm by Gareth »

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1185 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:20 pm »
I wonder how many more weak performances in the defense we have to endure before we accept the fact that putting Coates in can only make us better. I am tired of having to watch every single header in the box being lost by Carra and Skrtel.

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
« Reply #1186 on: October 22, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »
Carra/Skrtel is an awful partnership. Awful.

I'm so sick of watching Carra struggle.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #1187 on: October 22, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »

to be honest Reina was part of that mistake as well
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #1188 on: October 22, 2011, 07:26:41 pm »
It can't be worse with him in the team. I want to see him play games.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1189 on: October 22, 2011, 07:27:46 pm »
to be honest Reina was part of that mistake as well

Yup, not sure why he rushed out for that one, poor on his half. Made up for it with the save shortly after though.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: October 22, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »
Yup, not sure why he rushed out for that one, poor on his half. Made up for it with the save shortly after though.

Him rushing out was due to the fact that Carra was going to (and did) lose the header. So either someone gets a free shot from 5 yards, or Reina tries to pressure him. I have no problem with Reina's decisions there.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1191 on: October 22, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »

Yep. Complete liability. We were defending on the edge of our box for the entire 90 minutes today, which is an absolute joke given how dominant we were in general play. He didn't win a single aerial ball, and is constantly on the back foot in one on ones. But we all know it will be Skrtel to make way for Agger.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: October 22, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
To be fair, Holt did look a right handful - the kind of player Carra would have fucking loved to play against a few years ago.

I don't know enough about Coates, he's probably going to take some time to settle in, and it might be far too much to expect him to take Carragher's place right now.
But I'd be willing to give it a try alongside Agger - right now our central defense is a definite weak-point, so it's not like "if it ain't broke".

Offline ruairimacliam

• Gaydar User
  • Kopite
  • I am your father
« Reply #1193 on: October 22, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »
Him rushing out was due to the fact that Carra was going to (and did) lose the header. So either someone gets a free shot from 5 yards, or Reina tries to pressure him. I have no problem with Reina's decisions there.

If you come off your line you need to make contact with the ball.

I have no problem with his decision to come off the line, but his inability to contact the ball caused the goal.
Irish Exile Red

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #1194 on: October 22, 2011, 07:31:28 pm »

Pretty much this.  Pepe has zero confidence in Carragher in the air.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #1195 on: October 22, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »
To be fair, Holt did look a right handful - the kind of player Carra would have fucking loved to play against a few years ago.

You mean with Big Sami alongside him?.

Offline GEMSTAR58

• Kopite
  • Liverpool was made for me and i for liverpool.
« Reply #1196 on: October 22, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »
No Carra bashing. I believe both players, Reina and Carra were equally at fault for the goal. I also know is that Holt would definitely not have beaten Coates to that ball.

Offline ruairimacliam

• Gaydar User
  • Kopite
  • I am your father
« Reply #1197 on: October 22, 2011, 07:39:01 pm »
No Carra bashing. I believe both players, Reina and Carra were equally at fault for the goal. I also know is that Holt would definitely not have beaten Coates to that ball.

Any chance of tonights lottery numbers?
Irish Exile Red

Offline Howard1234

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1198 on: October 22, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
Time to step up !! Coates lad

Coates in and Carra off in the Stoke game

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1199 on: October 22, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

I knew someone would post something moronic like this - our cb partnership does not look good but I'm sorry that goal is all on Reina. love the guy and he's a top keeper but he shouldn't be coming there and if he does he has to take the ball