Author Topic: Coates confirmed  (Read 132298 times)

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
Re: Coates confirmed
« Reply #1080 on: October 20, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »
Remember when Agger signed? I don't think he was used consistently for a good year or so. They are about the same age, about the same price and probably will have a similar exposure to first team football.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1081 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »
Are you saying we are dropping points because of Carra?

We have had, Arsenal away, Tottenham away, Stoke away, the Bitters-derby away, United at home as our fixture list. With a completely revamped team, I think we have done well by the way.
I'm saying we have, yes. Because we have.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: October 20, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »
I'm saying we have, yes. Because we have.

Sorry, I don't follow your point.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1083 on: October 20, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »
My point couldn't be clearer. Errors by Carra have cost us points this season. I don't understand how you could possibly dispute that.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1084 on: October 20, 2011, 02:46:34 pm »
Are you saying we are dropping points because of Carra?

We have had, Arsenal away, Tottenham away, Stoke away, the Bitters-derby away, United at home as our fixture list. With a completely revamped team, I think we have done well by the way.

i'd say we've been dropping points specifically because of carragher for the last three seasons.

i'd say that the whole team would be more compact and play more effectively as a unit if we had a different centre half in there.

is that clear enough for you?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1085 on: October 20, 2011, 02:46:58 pm »

hello?  do you speak english?

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: October 20, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »
My point couldn't be clearer. Errors by Carra have cost us points this season. I don't understand how you could possibly dispute that.

Because, I believe there were a couple of errors, but on the whole our defence is a lot better with Carra in it, which if he wasn't would have cost us more points instead.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: October 20, 2011, 02:48:56 pm »
i'd say we've been dropping points specifically because of carragher for the last three seasons.

i'd say that the whole team would be more compact and play more effectively as a unit if we had a different centre half in there.

is that clear enough for you?

Well if you say so.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1088 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »
Because, I believe there were a couple of errors, but on the whole our defence is a lot better with Carra in it, which if he wasn't would have cost us more points instead.
Bloody Hell. I understand what you're saying, but it's a massive stretch.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »
Bloody Hell. I understand what you're saying, but it's a massive stretch.

I am all for replacing Carra if there was someone who was genuinely better that we had. I can't support replacing him with someone who isn't at the moment better than him. The whole culture has become, lets support the new kid, and lets diss the old guy. It should be on merit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:54:12 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1090 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
Well if you say so.

i'm glad that's wrapped up then.

now back to coates and the future.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1091 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »
I am all for replacing Carra

we also agree on this.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:34 pm »
i'm glad that's wrapped up then.

now back to coates and the future.

That is right, you finally got it, Coates is the "future"
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »
I am all for replacing Carra if there was someone who was genuinely better that we had. I can't support replacing him with someone who isn't at the moment better than him. The whole culture has become, lets support the new kid, and lets diss the old guy. It should be on merit.

I'd say that both Skrtel and Agger have performed better than Carra over the last 6 months or so, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »
I'd say that both Skrtel and Agger have performed better than Carra over the last 6 months or so, but that's just my opinion.

Fair enough, but I would disagree about Skrtel.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline mutiman

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1095 on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »
Excellent post. Sometimes I think we're in danger of stagnating because the past seems to have such a strong grip on the club. Carra's been great, but he's slowly but surely becoming of the glorious past. I've always wondered if we had got some of the players we've missed out on such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Phil Jones, whether they'd have developed as quickly as they have done at other clubs.
How is it disrespectful? He has done wonderful things in the past. He's spent his entire career here. He's won everything possible, but the league title and his achievements with the club all deserve to be remembered. But how is he different to all of our other great players who were all shown the door without hesitation when the time came, with many of them winning significantly more at the club.
Emlyn Hughes made way for Hansen as you have stated yourself, and there's not a single person in the world who will say that was the wrong decision, yet you have no problem claiming that Coates isn't anywhere near Hansen's ability despite having seen him play a grand total of 2 games for the club. Emlyn Hughes was a European Cup and league winning captain, who also captained England. He had over 600 games with the club and he was replaced by an 18 year old center back from the lower divisions.

Coates is already a league winning player, who most recently picked up a Copa America winners medal and in the mean time picked up the award for best young players and that's hardly a small thing, considering the wealth of talent that South-America has prodoced constantly since the the 1920's.
Hughes was replaced by a much younger, inexperienced player. Despite being more than 3 years younger at the time than Carragher is now. Carra is getting older and his performances have shown with an alarming frequency that his body can't handle playing week in week out. It's biologically inevitable and despite many claiming it, Carragher is not in the league of the Baresis, Maldinis, Nestas of the game in the way that he can play every game into his late 30's without breaking a sweat.
His game has never been about that. He'll take a bullet for you, and deserves credit for that. But his game is more sliding tackles and clearing off the line, playing with cramps in every muscle in his legs whilst preventing a shot. It's never been about seeing the play in front of him and intercepting a pass by making 2-3 side steps or winning the ball in his own box and running the length of the pitch into the opposition's box.

And why is it so dangerous replacing Carragher? We're dropping points with him in the team, we might drop a few more or we might gain a few more we'll never know until we actually do it. And as Yorky said earlier about Hansen.
At what point do Carragher's achievement stop covering for his current performances. We got rid of a 19 year old center back in Daniel Ayala who didn't make half the mistakes Carra has been making in the last 2 seasons. Sentiments and past achievements be damned. Do you honestly, deep down in the very deepest core of your soul, think that a 33 year old Jamie Carragher would start 90% of games for any other team hoping to challenge for trophies around Europe?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1096 on: October 20, 2011, 04:15:47 pm »
That is right, you finally got it, Coates is the "future"

of that there is no doubt.  equally carragher is the past.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2011, 04:20:21 pm »
How is it disrespectful? He has done wonderful things in the past. He's spent his entire career here. He's won everything possible, but the league title and his achievements with the club all deserve to be remembered. But how is he different to all of our other great players who were all shown the door without hesitation when the time came, with many of them winning significantly more at the club.
Emlyn Hughes made way for Hansen as you have stated yourself, and there's not a single person in the world who will say that was the wrong decision, yet you have no problem claiming that Coates isn't anywhere near Hansen's ability despite having seen him play a grand total of 2 games for the club. Emlyn Hughes was a European Cup and league winning captain, who also captained England. He had over 600 games with the club and he was replaced by an 18 year old center back from the lower divisions.

Coates is already a league winning player, who most recently picked up a Copa America winners medal and in the mean time picked up the award for best young players and that's hardly a small thing, considering the wealth of talent that South-America has prodoced constantly since the the 1920's.
Hughes was replaced by a much younger, inexperienced player. Despite being more than 3 years younger at the time than Carragher is now. Carra is getting older and his performances have shown with an alarming frequency that his body can't handle playing week in week out. It's biologically inevitable and despite many claiming it, Carragher is not in the league of the Baresis, Maldinis, Nestas of the game in the way that he can play every game into his late 30's without breaking a sweat.
His game has never been about that. He'll take a bullet for you, and deserves credit for that. But his game is more sliding tackles and clearing off the line, playing with cramps in every muscle in his legs whilst preventing a shot. It's never been about seeing the play in front of him and intercepting a pass by making 2-3 side steps or winning the ball in his own box and running the length of the pitch into the opposition's box.

And why is it so dangerous replacing Carragher? We're dropping points with him in the team, we might drop a few more or we might gain a few more we'll never know until we actually do it. And as Yorky said earlier about Hansen.
At what point do Carragher's achievement stop covering for his current performances. We got rid of a 19 year old center back in Daniel Ayala who didn't make half the mistakes Carra has been making in the last 2 seasons. Sentiments and past achievements be damned. Do you honestly, deep down in the very deepest core of your soul, think that a 33 year old Jamie Carragher would start 90% of games for any other team hoping to challenge for trophies around Europe?
Hats off to that post indeed!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »
Can we al least agree that this weekend's game is an ideal time to test the lad's mettle?  Norwich, with all due respect, don't have the most potent strike force in the league and we should be able to unlock their defence.  If they decide to play full-on defensively, then having Coates' giant frame on corners would certainly come in more handy than having Carra.   

I don't see what the downside would be.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #1099 on: October 20, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »
Its a real shame that we believe in Coates more than legendary Carra who has given his everything, and continuing to for this club. Maybe the time has come for Carra, maybe not, but I believe his distribution and organisation at the back is still one of the best in the world and the man's commitment is second to none. Coates should be given more opportunities alright, but next to Carra would be the way to go for the lad.

Carra is only human and might have committed errors, but who hasn't. Why not point Suarez when he missed a glorious one-on-one against United and a penalty against Sunderland which would have fetched us more points and higher position in the table. My point is not to corner Suarez or any of our players for that matter but to say that there got to be some respect shown for the legend and Carra is a thorough professional who will know when the time has come for him to call it a day.

I'm ready for the stick but sorry for having an opinion.
YNWA
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1100 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »
Coates should be given more opportunities alright, but next to Carra would be the way to go for the lad.
Just unbelievable. If Coates comes in, it will be to play with Agger.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1101 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:59 pm »
Carra is a thorough professional who will know when the time has come for him to call it a day.
You haven't read his autobiography then

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1102 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »
, but I believe his distribution at the back is still one of the best in the world

YNWA

you're entitled to your opinion but this is quite simply ludicrous.

i like the way you attach YNWA like its the end of a suicide note.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1103 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:58 pm »
You haven't read his autobiography then

clearly not. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1104 on: October 20, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »

By distribution I assume you mean kicking it into the top tier, then yes 2nd to none.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: October 20, 2011, 05:22:33 pm »

Is that also not in style for you. Please give us the rules so we can decide and support the players you deem are worth supporting.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: October 20, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

Wish I had a reason to continue with this, CHEERS mate.
YNWA, no suicide committed
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: October 20, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »
Its a real shame that we believe in Coates more than legendary Carra who has given his everything, and continuing to for this club. Maybe the time has come for Carra, maybe not, but I believe his distribution and organisation at the back is still one of the best in the world and the man's commitment is second to none. Coates should be given more opportunities alright, but next to Carra would be the way to go for the lad.

Carra is only human and might have committed errors, but who hasn't. Why not point Suarez when he missed a glorious one-on-one against United and a penalty against Sunderland which would have fetched us more points and higher position in the table. My point is not to corner Suarez or any of our players for that matter but to say that there got to be some respect shown for the legend and Carra is a thorough professional who will know when the time has come for him to call it a day.

YNWA

We should stick Kenny up front then, because he's a massive legend. As for Carra's distribution being "one of the best in the world", what are you on about? Most League 2 centre backs are better on the ball than Carra.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1108 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »
I missed that bit. Has to be a joke, not even Carra's biggest fan would claim his distribution is good.

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #1109 on: October 20, 2011, 05:52:43 pm »

YNWA

What an utter melodramatic post.

Where is the disrespect in discussing issues which are real and present with Carra?
Why the tearjerking post as if posters on here are discussing putting Carra down like some old dog?

The fact is that he is not getting any younger , and there will be a time for him to step aside for someone younger and better.
Ce'st la vie and all that , and giving him a rest against Norwich and or against Stoke hardly means au revoir for him...

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #1110 on: October 20, 2011, 05:57:08 pm »
I missed that bit. Has to be a joke, not even Carra's biggest fan would claim his distribution is good.

:shocked

WUM, got to be!  Or a manc/toffee trolling

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: October 20, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »
:shocked

WUM, got to be!  Or a manc/toffee trolling

;), if you say so.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1112 on: October 20, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »
Is that also not in style for you. Please give us the rules so we can decide and support the players you deem are worth supporting.

are you annoyed that i've disagreed with you or annihilated your facile arguments?

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »
are you annoyed that i've disagreed with you or annihilated your facile arguments?

Boy, you seem to be caring an awful lot about others emotions. Relax Teresa.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: October 20, 2011, 06:50:06 pm »
Carra may be making mistakes and past it to a certain extent, but he has also had revolving doors of fullbacks and central defenders around him.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Skrtel-Agger partnership for a few games.  But our other central defenders apart from Agger don't instill much confidence in me either. 

Hopefully Coates can get his feet under him slowly and be a force that can pass out from defense and win headers on set pieces even if just because of his height.  I don't think he is near ready yet, but I would like to see him given a run out.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1115 on: October 20, 2011, 06:53:47 pm »
Boy, you seem to be caring an awful lot about others emotions. Relax Teresa.

YNWA ;D

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: October 20, 2011, 07:11:08 pm »
I think it is probably getting near the time for Carra to stand aside. The problem is nobody is knocking the door down consistently to challenge him.

How many times have Skrtel and Agger been fit together for a period of say 10 games in the last 2 years. Not too many I'd bet but that is what is needed but we can't rely on Agger to be there.

Skrtel probably has been better than Carra since Kenny came in but not by miles.

I truly hope Coates is the answer but just one correction to Aristotle's post on Hughes and Hansen which was well put together. Hansen was about 21 when he signed and didn't really become the fabulous player he was until about 23-24. I seem to recall he got caught dribbling in the 78 Euro Cup final and I think Tommo bailed him out and it wasn't until probably 80-81 that he became the Man.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1117 on: October 20, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »
i wonder how many games he played before he became the dominant defender?

there is no doubt carragher has benefited from other players injuries in terms of his number of appearances.

because of this i can see us bringing in another defender in january.

i wonder if dortmund will be up for selling once they're out of the champions league? ;)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: October 20, 2011, 07:17:49 pm »
i wonder how many games he played before he became the dominant defender?

there is no doubt carragher has benefited from other players injuries in terms of his number of appearances.

because of this i can see us bringing in another defender in january.

i wonder if dortmund will be up for selling once they're out of the champions league? ;)
At least 75-100 games.

I always thought Tommo was the leader of the defence and Hansen probably didn't really come to full error-free maturity until the Bayern Munich semi finals in 81 when he took care of Rummennigge in Munich with Colin Irwin playing next to him.

Don't get me wrong, he was class always but he would day dream sometimes and dilly dally whereas Tommo was barking at him not unlike Carragher does now.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: October 20, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »
4 points already this year - very poor defending (not even including the actual penalty) vs Stoke, and letting Danny Wellbeck brush him aside like an afterthought, to win an uncontested header (leading to an assist) at the edge of the 6 yard box, vs. United. 

Then you have a gaffe against Bolton, penalty in the Carling Cup...and we haven't even discussed how our defense...and offense, have to accommodate his limitations

Besides, you can't know if our defense is better with or without Carragher, if we don't even have data to support the opposite!  (i.e., when have we played a game without Carragher starting?)
I think all of that is true. Carra got away with criticism for the Welbeck header but he's have bollocked someone backwards if it'd happened because of someone else.