Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1417278 times)

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #13400 on: April 25, 2019, 07:25:45 am »
None of the teams city play have anything to play for so I'm struggling to see anything other than 3 fairly routine wins.

All we can do is make sure we force them to win. Can't ask for more than that.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13401 on: April 25, 2019, 07:26:14 am »
Rotate vs Newcastle. Focus on what we can control which is winning the biggest competition in the land.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #13402 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:51 am »
City are winning the title I'm afraid. Praying for miracles from other sides is a recipe for a mental breakdown. It's our best points tally in forever, so we can have no complaints at all about our team - just complaints that City have been allowed to spend billions and billions more than they could ever hope to generate, and have used fake advertising contracts to dupe FFP and UEFA with ease. Think of the CL, and place some hope there. The title is gone.

I'm in agreement with this.  I know people think City would have felt invincible if they'd beaten Spurs in the big cup but that would have been Liverpool's best outcome because their players wouldn't have had to raise themselves as they can and must in every game left now.  They've got players who wouldn't have risked winning that 50-50 ball (as our players will have no choice on now) in a league match when weighing up the options of getting injured and missing the semi or final of a cup Manchester City have never won before.  Let's be pragmatic about this and focus on the advance Liverpool have made and the possibility we'll not be up against Guardiola next season.  Not use hoping for the impossible.  It MIGHT happen, but don't get all churned up when it doesn't. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13403 on: April 25, 2019, 07:31:29 am »
Rotate vs Newcastle. Focus on what we can control which is winning the biggest competition in the land.

Absolutely no chance we do that. We need to win all our games just in the off chance City have a bad day at the office. We need to win our last three games just in case City do miraculously drop points.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13404 on: April 25, 2019, 07:33:42 am »

Thats over a week and 2 games away. Klopp will have a decision to make if we have a couple of knocks or some players are exhausted. Of course it will all depend on what City get up to against Burnley.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13405 on: April 25, 2019, 07:39:25 am »
My predictions?

Going to get Messi'd in the semi finals and lose the title with 1 point or 3.

God, your a barrel of laughs aren't you.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13406 on: April 25, 2019, 07:43:57 am »
None of the teams city play have anything to play for so I'm struggling to see anything other than 3 fairly routine wins.

All we can do is make sure we force them to win. Can't ask for more than that.

Could argue it makes the more dangerous.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13407 on: April 25, 2019, 07:45:24 am »

Thats over a week and 2 games away. Klopp will have a decision to make if we have a couple of knocks or some players are exhausted. Of course it will all depend on what City get up to against Burnley.

If as expected City beat Burnley and we're still in the tie after Wednesday, fully expect some rotation.

I also fear, again if we're in the tie after Wednesday, we'll be a few % off our best and MAYBE drop points, with one eye on an enormous second leg 3 days later

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13408 on: April 25, 2019, 07:46:01 am »
Before the new year City dropped points in 5 fixtures.
Since the new year City has dropped points in 1 fixture.
January, February, March, April = 3 points dropped

That's winning nearly half a season of games in a row. Little you can do against that level of consistency

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13409 on: April 25, 2019, 07:48:26 am »
Isn't he a Liverpool fan?
Ole is a Liverpool fan, unfortunately his team is fucking shit.

And Burnley's aren't? Their league position tells you how good they are

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13410 on: April 25, 2019, 07:48:57 am »

That's winning nearly half a season of games in a row. Little you can do against that level of consistency

I said it before but they have won every game bar 1 in the league since Boxing Day. They have won all but two games across 4 competitions in that time.

Its an unreal level of form and one I didnt think they could do. But there you go.

I knew they were not going to win the CL though. They are not winning that next year either.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13411 on: April 25, 2019, 07:51:01 am »

Before they lost to Chelsea they’d won 13 and drawn 2 out of 15 games

This isn’t the first time this season we’ve had people on here thinking they won’t drop any points....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
  • We are the men of Shankly's best
« Reply #13412 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:06 am »

In comparison, we dropped points in 3 fixtures before the new year and 5 fixtures since. That's it, two fixtures difference, SO FAR. (Capitalized because it's obviously not done yet and more could come).

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13413 on: April 25, 2019, 07:55:38 am »
It is simple really.

Win our next two which are before they play.

See what happens.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13414 on: April 25, 2019, 07:59:31 am »
And Burnley's aren't? Their league position tells you how good they are

Burnley are shite.

The only side with any real quality City have to play is Leicester. The gap and break for City before that though is big and thats what makes City winning that heavy favourites.

However Leicester are in decent form to go with that quality as their players are probably wanting to put their case for being a part of Rodgers’ plans going forward.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13415 on: April 25, 2019, 08:00:33 am »
Burnley are shite.

The only side with any real quality City have to play is Leicester. The gap and break for City before that though is big and thats what makes City winning that heavy favourites.

Leicester have same break though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13416 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:58 am »
Leicester have same break though.

They do, albeit that break wipes out an advantage Leicester will have and we need them to have all the advantages if possible.

The good thing is their form is decent and many players are trying to be in Rodgers’ plans going forward.

Its a tricky game for City as Leicester have a threat and any side with a threat always has a chance. But I just cannot see City dropping points in that, not in the context of where we now are and whats at stake.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #13417 on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:56 am »
We're relying on a punchers chance from one of the teams left.....
Or City to have a bad day or whatever

Its football. Shit can happen so lets hope it happens to them
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13418 on: April 25, 2019, 08:04:05 am »
Burnley are only where they are because they fucked up the first half of the season with eyes on Europe and trying to play with a little more panache. When they went back to long ball/set pieces as their mainstay, they improved. But people are looking at this fixture on paper too much for my liking. On paper City win by streets. On the pitch you have a long-ball Burnley side that just needs to play for free-kicks in City's half. From there they can create chances from set pieces, and City haven't had much in the way of defending things like that for some time. If they can keep it tight at the back then they could get something out of that game for sure.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13419 on: April 25, 2019, 08:08:36 am »
From now on I'm looking at City's results after the event. Fucking shit that I was supporting the red shite for the first time ever and that fluffed their lines. You had one job, Manu. One fucking job.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13420 on: April 25, 2019, 08:11:02 am »
I said it before but they have won every game bar 1 in the league since Boxing Day. They have won all but two games across 4 competitions in that time.

Its an unreal level of form and one I didnt think they could do. But there you go.

I knew they were not going to win the CL though. They are not winning that next year either.

They aren't good enough to win the Champions League where they have to play teams that don't roll over and die for them before the game starts. As a league team, they are incredible

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #13421 on: April 25, 2019, 08:11:12 am »
It all feels a bit like 2014 after the Chelsea game when we were relying on Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham to do us a massive favour against a City team that was far more inferior than the one they have now. This probably feels an even taller order given the run of form they're on now. In 2014 they had actually dropped plenty of points until we contrived to throw it away. That being said, the Champions League is a ray of light. A massive one at that. We're just two matches away from a final with either Tottenham or Ajax. We have every chance of doing it this time.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #13422 on: April 25, 2019, 08:13:23 am »
My only hope for the remainng games was Spurs. 19 is gonna have to wait I'm afraid.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13423 on: April 25, 2019, 08:15:37 am »
Well the saying ‘it’s a marathon, not a sprint’ no longer applies. You’ve got to sprint from start to finish if you want a fighting chance against the slave owners.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13424 on: April 25, 2019, 08:18:41 am »
Well the saying ‘it’s a marathon, not a sprint’ no longer applies. You’ve got to sprint from start to finish if you want a fighting chance against the slave owners.

Yep.

I remember the Palace game away and saying it wasnt must win and I think it was PoP saying it was. Turns out, pretty much every game you have to win now.

That said, I am convinced they don't get the same level of points next season. We have to probably target the mid 90’s though.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #13425 on: April 25, 2019, 08:29:14 am »
I still say we're doing the double and will do until it happens or becomes impossible.

I'm honestly baffled by fellow Reds who predict City winning the league. Where is the joy in that attitude? The fun? The passion? These are some of the many reasons I support Liverpool FC. It is, after all, a voluntary activity. Nowadays, in my advanced years  ::) I tend to restrict my voluntary activities to things that have a positive effect on my life.

Its impossible to be realistic about the outcome of football matches. What you can do, though, is mindlessly repeat the most likely outcome of fixtures.

But, again, wheres the fun in that?

Unless its an attempt to "avoid disappointment" I really don't get it.

Sadly "avoiding disappointment" is also impossible in life which is something most of us realise around the time we reach puberty. We deal with our disappointments when they happen, learn and grow from them, appreciate the positive things and move on.

Actually, sounds a lot like what Liverpool under Jurgen have been doing the last couple of seasons doesn't it? Look where its got us - we are in an absolutely brilliant spot at the moment and as most would acknowledge, things are only going to get better.

And here endeth the sermon  ;D

Now, roll on tomorrow night!

17-0 Liverpool even though I realise I'm flirting with the horror of being seen to be wrong on an anonymous football forum  :wave

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13426 on: April 25, 2019, 08:29:38 am »
Actually quite comforted by the custom titles of the ones telling us it’s over :D

‘Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed’

‘Moan, moan; bitch, bitch, shoulda-coulda-woulda!’

‘Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas’

‘Mr Negativity here, I’m worried about... Everything. In no danger of saying anything positive about anyone or anything any time soon.....’

‘A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit’

Considering we’re on for 97 points, which would be the second highest points total ever, I’d probably class that as a sprint which is why we’ve got a fighting chance against the slave owners ;)

Again, it’s a point. They’re not on another level, or untouchable, or streaking away. We’ve both got three games left of varying difficulty left and they have one point more. We don’t need a miracle, or snookers, we need them to have a slight off day against a team like Palace or Wolves or Newcastle....or Leicester. Two of their three games left are against those exact level of teams they’ve dropped points against.

They dropped 5 points against the teams currently 2nd-6th. They dropped 9 points against the sides currently 10th-15th.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13427 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:20 am »

I remember being mortified at going into the new year not being double figures at the top of the table as dropping points in 3 (THREE!!) fixtures. What the absolute fuck.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13428 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:55 am »
Yep.

I remember the Palace game away and saying it wasnt must win and I think it was PoP saying it was. Turns out, pretty much every game you have to win now.

That said, I am convinced they don't get the same level of points next season. We have to probably target the mid 90’s though.

I think as long as Pep stays and they're not bothered by FFP, then that will be the level moving forward

My fear is can we garner 69/75 from teams outside the Top 6 again next year. The front 3 have stayed fit all season

The problem for us and the league is that 90% of the league are beaten before they cross the line against City, this coupled with United in transition, Chelsea needing a rebuild, same with Arsenal it's an issue, and we may need 97+ again

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13429 on: April 25, 2019, 08:34:26 am »
Actually quite comforted by the custom titles of the ones telling us it’s over :D

It's not in our hands. if it was in our hands and people were saying it's over, thats a diffferent thing. Go full strength vs Huddersfield but by the time we play Newcastle, we need to focus on what is not over and that is the CL which is entirely in our hands and is the bigger, more prestigous comeptition anyway.

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13430 on: April 25, 2019, 08:38:37 am »
It's not in our hands. if it was in our hands and people were saying it's over, thats a diffferent thing. Go full strength vs Huddersfield but by the time we play Newcastle, we need to focus on what is not over and that is the CL which is entirely in our hands and is the bigger, more prestigous comeptition anyway.

That's utter nonsense. You're advocating for giving up on the league when there's one point in and 9 still to play for in favour of another competition that we might not win? Jesus, wake up man. That is not how winners think! We're going all out for both competitions until the very end.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13431 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:25 am »
Timing is a key part of it as well. Overall, I think we should have done better in the away games against the top 6. One win probably isnt enough.

But we got unlucky with the timings. We played Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea when they were at the height of their form.

However, thats just a minor issue. Ultimately, we are incredible and I wish we have this season again next season.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13432 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:01 am »

Are you mad? We play before them that weekend so no resting!!

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13433 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:21 am »
I'm not deflated. There's that inevitability with City and teams who don't go at them and very few apart Europe do and you're simply waiting for an opening.

Like others have said I'm not watching city play again and I'll assume a win.

Lets just focus on getting a result against Huddersfield and then give barca a game.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13434 on: April 25, 2019, 08:41:23 am »

The problem for us and the league is that 90% of the league are beaten before they cross the line against City,

That isn't hyperbole.
Bournemouth vs City

Shots on target = ZERO
Corners = ZERO

They were so shit scared of City they literally didn't attack them at any point in the match.
In 4 games (360 minutes of football) City faced 2 shots on target, in FOUR GAMES.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13435 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:34 am »

Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13436 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:42 am »
That's utter nonsense. You're advocating for giving up on the league when there's one point in and 9 still to play for in favour of another competition that we might not win? Jesus, wake up man. That is not how winners think! We're going all out for both competitions until the very end.

Where did I say give up the league? Go full strength tomorrow and come Newcastle, the CL needs to be the priority. Barca will rest players in between our CL games. We have to play 3 times in 6 days. Are you saying we shouldn't rotate?

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #13437 on: April 25, 2019, 08:44:24 am »
I think as long as Pep stays and they're not bothered by FFP, then that will be the level moving forward

My fear is can we garner 69/75 from teams outside the Top 6 again next year. The front 3 have stayed fit all season

The problem for us and the league is that 90% of the league are beaten before they cross the line against City, this coupled with United in transition, Chelsea needing a rebuild, same with Arsenal it's an issue, and we may need 97+ again

This is very possibly true and the same will apply to our own opponents moving forward. Historically, continued success does this for a team and certainly did so for us in our glory years. We are currently competing incredibly well against them and will continue to do so or even improve (not much room for this though). In my opinion, we will beat them (again) and win trophys. Its only a matter of time.

I see zero reason for concern never mind fear.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13438 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:02 am »
Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag.

Do you mean unconditional support for Liverpool, or support for Burnely and Leicester?

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13439 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:51 am »
*burns Manu shirt*

*pull out draw with Burnley, Leicester, and Brighton shirts*

*pulls on Burnley shirt*

EIEIEIO, Up the Football League we go,
When we get promotion,
This is what we'll sing,
We are Burnley we are Burnley, Sean Dyche is king!