Author Topic: Everton - The 777 Unflushables  (Read 661725 times)

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
Re: Everton - The Unflushables
« Reply #160 on: August 4, 2023, 11:58:24 am »
object lesson
noun
a striking practical example of a principle or ideal.
"they responded to daily emergencies in a way that was an object lesson to us all"

If you look how object was used on the sentence it was in reference to an sequence of events that provide a lesson for others and therefore it should have been abject that was used.

Is it object lesson or abject lesson?
The term is occasionally rendered abject lesson, which doesn't make much sense. Abject, an adjective, means low, contemptible, or miserable, and while it's possible to imagine rare instances in which this descriptor might make sense, abject lesson is usually just a misspelling of object lesson.

Low, contemptible, or miserable can you imagine a more relevant set of words to use when Everton are involved? It's all about context.

« Last Edit: August 4, 2023, 12:08:07 pm by jacobs chains »

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: August 4, 2023, 12:00:20 pm »
Is there actually a more depressing club to support in existence? Honest question, since they last won something most teams would have at least celebrated a promotion or something despite previous relegation

Even the likes of Norwich, yo yo clubs but have experienced quite a few good seasons/promotions
No. After Oldham were relegated to the National League last year all 91 other clubs have either won a trophy or promotion since 1995.
Don't forget though, Chairman Bill told them they've had some good times.

There was that time they got to the Cup Final...and lost.  Then there was the time they were celebrating a draw in the Derby by letting a purple flare off as Virgil skyed a shot hopelessly into the air...

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #162 on: August 4, 2023, 12:02:58 pm »
There was that time they got to the Cup Final...and lost.  Then there was the time they were celebrating a draw in the Derby by letting a purple flare off as Virgil skyed a shot hopelessly into the air...

;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #163 on: August 4, 2023, 12:03:55 pm »
No offence to Fulham, but how bad are Everton that a player looks at Fulham as a big enough jump to go awol to try and force a move.  :o

Was just thinking the same thing.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 4, 2023, 12:04:52 pm »
:lmao

Seriously though, get it done. There was a part of me that wanted Pickford to go to Man United just to see how much they'd hate him when he'd be dead shit, but now they've signed Onana. I've also been thinking for a couple of years now how much sense Maguire to Everton makes. Seems primed along Scott McTominay to make the switch to Everton when they can finally shift him. That said I'd love to see Maguire see out his contract at Man United.

The Mancs are going to have to heavily subsidise his wages surely, as there is no way that lump is walking away from £175k a week and there is no way on earth the bitters can afford to pay him that.

Be like when Leeds were paying 2/3rds of Fowlers wage when we signed him ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #165 on: August 4, 2023, 12:05:03 pm »
Don't forget though, Chairman Bill told them they've had some good times.

You forgot the time they got to celebrate a corner at Anfield.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #166 on: August 4, 2023, 12:06:25 pm »
You forgot the time they got to celebrate a corner at Anfield.
and the few times the "redshite" lost in Champions League finals.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #167 on: August 4, 2023, 12:07:54 pm »
and the few times the "redshite" lost in Champions League finals.
Bill was right. They have had some good times.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 4, 2023, 01:05:48 pm »
Seeing as that place is looking like a dog's dinner more and more each day, I wonder if it will be sponsored by Pedigree Chum?

Pedigree Chumps more like it!

Two Blueshite commenting on Anfield. Self  awareness says hello
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #169 on: August 4, 2023, 01:21:41 pm »
Seeing as that place is looking like a dog's dinner more and more each day, I wonder if it will be sponsored by Pedigree Chum?

And they think they’ll get millions selling naming rights for the Bitterdome.

I’ve said it before they’ll lose a lot of impetus moving from the pit. Just to think how you can relax when taking corners or throw ins without running the risk of being struck by a toddler.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 4, 2023, 01:45:34 pm »
From the comments section (submitted by user Sidfishes) of the Guardian preview of their season...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/04/everton-premier-league-2023-24-preview#comments

"Recipe for disaster

Take 1 deluded over-emotional fantasist with the business acumen of a pissed matelot on shore leave add a shed-full of dark money coming from dubious sources, stir in a leadership team of ‘yes’ people and half-bake for 8 seasons.

The result - a football club that’s both teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and bizarrely facing a financial fair play points deducted with a squad actually much weaker after splurging a huge fortune on players.

Everton’s demise under our chairman should be taught in business schools throughout the known world as an object lesson in how to turn a heritage brand with a loyal customer base into a hollowed out shadow of its former self swirling around the plug hole of oblivion…

Right, now I’ve got the optimism out of the way, what about our prospects this season? Bleak with a prospect of becoming bleaker even if Dyche manages to rally the squad and produce the goods on the pitch to make us into a difficult to beat unit with 44 points as the aim.

Then we only have the inevitable points deduction for our past sins to negotiate, the law suits of a pack of various previously relegated clubs to fend off and the financial fall out from the ground move to deal with.

Looks like I’ve picked the wrong season to come off the booze…"

LMAO  that's excellent.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 4, 2023, 01:50:04 pm »

I’ve said it before they’ll lose a lot of impetus moving from the pit. Just to think how you can relax when taking corners or throw ins without running the risk of being struck by a toddler.

I still think it should be called the Boo Camp or Theatre of Screams.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #172 on: August 4, 2023, 02:28:30 pm »

Winalot is far more appropriate for us
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 4, 2023, 02:41:43 pm »

:wellin

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 4, 2023, 03:23:45 pm »

Something came up on my FB this morning, videos of Rio, Evra (fucking rat), Fergie, Arteta, Wenger, Neville, Ped and a few others saying how Anfield is the hardest ground to play at due to the noise, the players feel it and it can put them off, I well remember Neville in 2006 in the FA Cup game falling apart at within 5 minutes the absolute pelters he was getting from the paddock and the whole "Gary Neville shags his Ma up the shitter".

The Pit had the same advantage, little kids stood on the wall screaming fuck off at them,women with faces like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle egging the kids on and hurling abuse, 5 yr olds flying past, plazzy bottles bouncing off players, they'll lose all that at the Shitworks
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 4, 2023, 03:54:52 pm »
Your daily reminder that these are completely shit.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 4, 2023, 03:56:46 pm »

You found the little blue pill, did you?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 4, 2023, 03:56:58 pm »

:thumbup

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 4, 2023, 03:57:21 pm »
You found the little blue pill, did you?

;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 4, 2023, 04:11:10 pm »
"Gary Neville shags his Ma up the shitter".
Football crowd wit.  :)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #180 on: August 4, 2023, 04:18:10 pm »

They don't buy branded dog food, they just buy fresh tripe
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 4, 2023, 06:14:19 pm »
You found the little boo pill, did you?
Fixed
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 4, 2023, 06:15:01 pm »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 4, 2023, 06:19:28 pm »
Interested in Slabhead, apparently.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 4, 2023, 06:28:25 pm »
Plenty of them are sure it's a tax thing so there won't be any points deduction at all

Wasn't Rangers involved in some kind of tax fraud? A points deduction would be the least of their worries if it panned out the same way...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #185 on: August 4, 2023, 06:30:44 pm »
Wasn't Rangers involved in some kind of tax fraud? A points deduction would be the least of their worries if it panned out the same way...

Will keep your fingers crossed and I'll take either :D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 4, 2023, 06:32:06 pm »

PL - See here Mr. Everton - you've got a huge pile of debt, can't pay your bills, are on the verge administration, and have lied to your accountants.

Everton Fans - Ok - just give us a fine. Points deduction doesn't make sense.

PL - If we fine you how will you pay it....

Everton Fans - We are building a new stadium and when its done - the cash rolls in....

PL - Don't you need to pay back the stadium?

Everton Fans - Yes - but we have new revenue from the stadium....

PL - ....

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 4, 2023, 06:34:00 pm »
Isn't there an outside (slim as it may be) possibility that Pikkers knows how shit he is and doesn't want to move to another team? At the Ev he's a hero despite being one of the worst keepers in the league.

I prefer he stays, I think he's part of the problem, despite his god like status because he saves well occasionally.
There is nothing I would love more than to see Pickford shouting at Maguire next season for him just being Maguire.
Honestly, is anyone (including United) serious about wanting Maguire next year? He resides in the 'liabilities' column on any club balance sheet.

As undeniably shit as Pickford is, he probably made the crucial difference to them last year. I can't imagine any Everton backup keeper, or a potential replacement, being any better than he is, so losing him would boost their relegation chances. Especially if they brought in the Easter Island statue :D

Pickford is definitely a big fish in a small pond at Everton, just like he was at Sunderland. A shit club with a shit defence that padded his stats and made him look better than he was. Can't believe he's still only 29. Makes Mignolet look like a world beater.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 4, 2023, 06:34:21 pm »

It'd be like 2 very unattractive people who themselves think they look great,getting married.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 4, 2023, 06:36:19 pm »

Either the Shite or West Ham - nailed on.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #190 on: August 5, 2023, 12:09:18 am »

If you look how object was used on the sentence it was in reference to an sequence of events that provide a lesson for others and therefore it should have been abject that was used.

The term is occasionally rendered abject lesson, which doesn't make much sense. Abject, an adjective, means low, contemptible, or miserable, and while it's possible to imagine rare instances in which this descriptor might make sense, abject lesson is usually just a misspelling of object lesson.

Low, contemptible, or miserable can you imagine a more relevant set of words to use when Everton are involved? It's all about context.

Abjection sustained.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #191 on: August 5, 2023, 12:15:43 am »
Pickford is definitely a big fish in a small pond at Everton, just like he was at Sunderland. A shit club with a shit defence that padded his stats and made him look better than he was. Can't believe he's still only 29. Makes Mignolet look like a world beater.
Fish don't have arms either.
I think the issue with Pickford was that he was good at Sunderland the year they went down, I think there are aspects to his game that maybe we don't see that make every team he plays for shit.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #192 on: August 5, 2023, 12:47:52 am »

Er...no

Why are you bringing 'abject' into it? Apart, of course, from it being about the Ev, so I can sort of see why the word loomed large in your mind, lol
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #193 on: August 5, 2023, 12:50:23 am »
Not been paying attention but what have been the results for Evertons preseason so far?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 5, 2023, 01:10:54 am »
Not been paying attention but what have been the results for Evertons preseason so far?

Undefeated. We've got a battle on our hands for top four.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 5, 2023, 01:19:37 am »
Undefeated. We've got a battle on our hands for top four.

;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #196 on: August 5, 2023, 01:23:37 am »
They are so shit we have people here arguing over abject Vs object rather than how shit Everton are. Tbf, they’re both abject objects.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 5, 2023, 01:56:42 am »
Just skimmed through those Guardian previews, love how nearly all of them predict clubs to finish in exactly the same position as the season before, really bold and visionary stuff, definitely worth my time and attention.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #198 on: August 5, 2023, 02:27:15 am »
Just skimmed through those Guardian previews, love how nearly all of them predict clubs to finish in exactly the same position as the season before, really bold and visionary stuff, definitely worth my time and attention.
I think Everton finish a bit higher

Just because there’s more shite in the league… Sheff U, Luton?  Oh come on. Bournemouth must be in trouble, Palace are weaker, Forest aren’t great at all, Fulham have lost vital players, wolves are sure and Brentford will not have their goalie or striker for nearly half the season

Everton? Dross. But they’ve got a dross manager for a dross club and that will see them ok against that untestable shite opposition.   It’s such a shame Lampard left them
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #199 on: August 5, 2023, 09:08:20 am »
i object to all the abject chat, you should both eject from the discussion