Author Topic: FT Argyle 0 - Liverpool 1 (Lucas 18')  (Read 22675 times)

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Re: FT Argyle 0 - Liverpool 1 (Lucas 18')
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:20 am »
Jurgen is a great youth developer. This is the first time in a while that we place so much faith on the kids. I remember Wimbledon away in 2015 we played a full senior squad. Going from that to playing so many kids is refreshing.
Seen us win everything

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2017, 05:43:39 am »
Captain Lucas was awesome.
choose Life.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2017, 06:35:30 am »
Damn! I just knew that Harry Wilson on a Liverpool debut, three years after he eclipsed Gareth Bale to become Wales' youngest player...
 :champ  :champ
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline A Dick

• Main Stander
  • How come Cafu is wearing Flanno's shirt?
« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:52 am »
Not knocking the kid too much but im still waiting for Divock Origi to find that form he was in before his injury last season. He seems to have been watching Daniel Sturridge too much and moving less, just waiting for the ball to be played to feet and then go from there. The difference between them and Firmino is huge in that respect. Origi will be a class act one day no question, it's just frustrating because we've already seen he can be it NOW. Really need him to step up with Mane away. Or just Senegal to get knocked out asap!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:43 am »
It's funny because I think the media is full of miserable twats too. The BT lot were going on like Plymouth had gone 180 minutes against us and restricted us to a bare handful of chances, as if they were up against our first team. Yeah they're Jurgen's Reds, but when you think that Ben Woodburn isn't even old enough to have a pint then I think it has to be put into perspective. I mean, that nobhead Jake Humphreys is going on about our form being a concern, blah blah blah.

It was the fucking kids playing you tit end!!

The agenda against Sturridge is laughable as well. Sure he got barely any service, but he was constantly moving and creating space for others. It was also a run out for 65 minutes that will help his game time and fitness, plus he will almost certainly be unleashed against Swansea for some target practice at the weekend. Talk about him being embarrassed by being taken off or being at a crossroads in his career is a complete joke. Jurgen also has a responsibility to develop the young lads too, and rightly said in his post-match interview that we controlled the game in the last 25 minutes. It was the right time to give young lads time on the pitch. If anything, Origi has been so duff recently that Sturridge is likely to start a few games now. So even giving a micro-second of consideration to any notion of Sturridge being unwanted is yet more media bollocks being spouted. Same with saying Karius was unconvincing. Errr, he kept two clean sheets didn't he nobheads? Honestly, there are many people in here who could do a considerably better job at punditry than the dross we have to put up with on the telly.

But anyway, all in all a shite match against a truly negative team, surrounded by meff 'fans' who won't be making the away trip to Stevenage at the weekend or probably be seen again at Home Park this season. Booing YNWA when we were trying to give a bit of respect to the poor lad who passed away and a gesture of support to his family. Resorting to predictable shithouse chants - the 'who are ya' brigade, 'slipped on his fucking arse' and all that shit. Smalltime, bitter behaviour and smalltime tactics from the team, pulling shirts, kicking the ball away at every stoppage so that they can regroup behind the ball. I'm delighted to have pissed on their dreams, ruined their evening, done a professional job with an extremely talented bunch of young lads. Time for us to act like flat-track bullies, put these lower league teams in their place, puff out our chests and make them know who the fuck we are. Or rather, who our kids are.

A final positive note; Nathaniel Clyne has some serious competition. Enjoy the breakthrough of TAA into the first team folks, we're witnessing it as we speak. MOTM by an absolute mile tonight, we have a total gem on our hands there. 18 years old going on 30, I am truly excited thinking about how good he could potentially be as he gets more experienced if his current form is anything to go by. Fuck the negative press because we didn't put 5 past those useless bumpkins tonight, embrace and enjoy watching our incredibly talented kids grow into men.

Up the young reds, YNWA!
Excellent post this. 

:wellin

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:26 am »
Not knocking the kid too much but im still waiting for Divock Origi to find that form he was in before his injury last season. He seems to have been watching Daniel Sturridge too much and moving less, just waiting for the ball to be played to feet and then go from there. The difference between them and Firmino is huge in that respect. Origi will be a class act one day no question, it's just frustrating because we've already seen he can be it NOW. Really need him to step up with Mane away. Or just Senegal to get knocked out asap!

Be interesting to know how many chances Ejaria, Stewart and Woodburn created for Origi and Sturridge.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:07 am »
It's funny because I think the media is full of miserable twats too. The BT lot were going on like Plymouth had gone 180 minutes against us and restricted us to a bare handful of chances, as if they were up against our first team. Yeah they're Jurgen's Reds, but when you think that Ben Woodburn isn't even old enough to have a pint then I think it has to be put into perspective. I mean, that nobhead Jake Humphreys is going on about our form being a concern, blah blah blah.

It was the fucking kids playing you tit end!!

The agenda against Sturridge is laughable as well. Sure he got barely any service, but he was constantly moving and creating space for others. It was also a run out for 65 minutes that will help his game time and fitness, plus he will almost certainly be unleashed against Swansea for some target practice at the weekend. Talk about him being embarrassed by being taken off or being at a crossroads in his career is a complete joke. Jurgen also has a responsibility to develop the young lads too, and rightly said in his post-match interview that we controlled the game in the last 25 minutes. It was the right time to give young lads time on the pitch. If anything, Origi has been so duff recently that Sturridge is likely to start a few games now. So even giving a micro-second of consideration to any notion of Sturridge being unwanted is yet more media bollocks being spouted. Same with saying Karius was unconvincing. Errr, he kept two clean sheets didn't he nobheads? Honestly, there are many people in here who could do a considerably better job at punditry than the dross we have to put up with on the telly.

But anyway, all in all a shite match against a truly negative team, surrounded by meff 'fans' who won't be making the away trip to Stevenage at the weekend or probably be seen again at Home Park this season. Booing YNWA when we were trying to give a bit of respect to the poor lad who passed away and a gesture of support to his family. Resorting to predictable shithouse chants - the 'who are ya' brigade, 'slipped on his fucking arse' and all that shit. Smalltime, bitter behaviour and smalltime tactics from the team, pulling shirts, kicking the ball away at every stoppage so that they can regroup behind the ball. I'm delighted to have pissed on their dreams, ruined their evening, done a professional job with an extremely talented bunch of young lads. Time for us to act like flat-track bullies, put these lower league teams in their place, puff out our chests and make them know who the fuck we are. Or rather, who our kids are.

A final positive note; Nathaniel Clyne has some serious competition. Enjoy the breakthrough of TAA into the first team folks, we're witnessing it as we speak. MOTM by an absolute mile tonight, we have a total gem on our hands there. 18 years old going on 30, I am truly excited thinking about how good he could potentially be as he gets more experienced if his current form is anything to go by. Fuck the negative press because we didn't put 5 past those useless bumpkins tonight, embrace and enjoy watching our incredibly talented kids grow into men.

Up the young reds, YNWA!

Fantastic post.  :wellin

Sadly I think some of our fans just want to be miserable. I was reading an article when all of a sudden an extract from a phone-in came on. Someone questioning "whether we'll ever win a final with Jurgen Klopp!" I just sat there speechless.  :butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2017, 07:52:03 am »
Nothing too embarassing with only 1-0 after 180 minutes vs Plymouth, but it's not like the kids are banging on the door to the first team either. There has been some ridculuous arguments that Klopp should use the kids more in the league, but I think these games have shown that they need some time.

TAA did very well, although Clyne is still better.

Gomez was pretty awful honestly, but over a year of injuries is a pretty solid excuse and he was good before that.

Stewart should move on, for his own sake. He's 23 and still hasn't played a stretch of important games for any club. He should reboot his career at lower level. The DM role must be learned on the field. 

Sturridge worries me. I'm not writing him off, but it's harder and harder to be optimistic.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2017, 07:53:14 am »
Fuck it, here you go (did it myself with a bit of copypasting):

DOB   Age
Karius   22-Jun-93   23.58
Moreno    5-Jul-92   24.54
Gomez    23-May-97   19.66
Lucas     9-Jan-87   30.03
Stewart   7-Sep-93   23.36
Ejaria   18-Nov-97   19.17
Trent A-A 7-Oct-98   18.28
Origi    18-Apr-95   21.75
Woodburn 15-Oct-99   17.26
Wilson   22-Mar-97   19.83
Ojo      19-Jun-97   19.58
AVERAGE              21.55

That's 21 years, 201 days. It was 21 years 296 days at kickoff in the first match so beats that comfortably but not sure if it sets any sort of record. Take out Lucas and it drops to 20.70 years.

Considering this and the fact that we're through to the next round, people still have the nerve to come on and be negative.  Plenty of positives as far as I'm concerned, that would have been great experience for the kids

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2017, 08:12:50 am »
Nothing too embarassing with only 1-0 after 180 minutes vs Plymouth, but it's not like the kids are banging on the door to the first team either. There has been some ridculuous arguments that Klopp should use the kids more in the league, but I think these games have shown that they need some time.

TAA did very well, although Clyne is still better.

Gomez was pretty awful honestly, but over a year of injuries is a pretty solid excuse and he was good before that.

Stewart should move on, for his own sake. He's 23 and still hasn't played a stretch of important games for any club. He should reboot his career at lower level. The DM role must be learned on the field. 

Sturridge worries me. I'm not writing him off, but it's harder and harder to be optimistic.

Seen a few people say this, yet I thought he did fine, you can tell he's coming back off a long injury layoff but wouldn't say he was awful.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:19 am »
Can we change title to Liverpool U23,s cause that is what it was and they all did ok. The only negative was both Origi and DS, Origi in particular seems to lack that bite in his game at the moment I noticed Jk had a go at him towards end of game think it was to do with him tracking back. DS is typical of a player trying to regain previous levels of form but just can't find it sadly.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:17 am »
FT Argyle 0 - Liverpool 1 (Lucas 18')

This is all.

Has Lucas ever scored the only goal in a match in England?

Happy days
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2017, 08:41:26 am »

This is all.

Happy days

Hear hear!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: January 19, 2017, 08:53:49 am »

Erm, what? Sturridge moves constantly.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:07 am »

This is all.

Happy days

I had a look using http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/1180 and http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=47374 -

1 in 1-0 win against Plymouth
1 in 4-1 win against Steaua
1 in 4-1 win against Benfica
1 in 2-1 win against Crewe
1 in 4-4 draw with Chelsea
1 in 3-0 win against Newcastle
1 in 5-2 win against Havant and Waterlooville

So this is the first time he's scored the only goal for us in a game, usually they have quite a few other goals, and like Milner with his penalties - whenever Lucas scores for us, we don't lose. ;D

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:36 am »
PA SPORT, about an hour ago
----------------------------------------
Jurgen Klopp says he expects FA Cup match-winner Lucas Leiva
to stay at Liverpool beyond the January transfer window. Klopp said,
"I was really surprised he didn't score for that long, but he has a great personality, is a good player and a really good guy..."
"Sometimes you have to line up without him, and it's not his hobby to accept this, but he's OK and really important for us."
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2017, 09:39:13 am »
Some very good posts on the previous two or 3 pages - the usual level headed, on the nose stuff by the usually level headed on the nose posters.

I was reminded while watching the game last night of the loss we suffered during Rafa's first season against Burnley at Turf Moor 10 or so years back. That was painful. 0-1. I thionk they were in League One at the time. There's no worse a feeling than getting dumped out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking. Not many anyhow. Back then, we were also in the League Cup semi's, and had a Champions League campaign on our minds, which we ended up doing very well in. We played a second string there, with the odd younger player, and there was some critisism levelled at Rafa for the team selection that day. Quite rightly in some regards.

It was Rafa's first season and it was a learning curve. The average age of the team was just over 24. Yesterday it scraped 20.

Jerzy Dudek
4    Hyypia (c)
21    Djimi Traoré    
28    Stephen Warnock    
31    David Raven    
37    Zak Whitbread    
18    Antonio Nunez    
25    Igor Biscan    
32    John Welsh    
34    Darren Potter    
24    Florent Sinama-Pongolle
Subs
40    Paul Harrison    
36    Jon Otsemobor    
41    Mark Smyth    
5    Milan Baros    
33    Neil Mellor    

Yesterday we won. A good foundation is being built. I don't watch the U23's at all, so it's a chance for me to watch some of these young lads for the first time and there's much to be intruiged with. Been quietly impressed with Woodburn - would love to see him up front, but equipped himself pretty well again in different positions last night. Wilson too impressed... his dummy in the 80th minute (or so) was a delight. Positive stuff, and the youngsters will definitly be feeling part of things now.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2017, 09:45:18 am »
Job done,as simple as that.

It was a better game than the first but still very dull.
Would have been good to see the lads be a bit braver on the ball,some neat & tidy football at times..sideways.
Some uninspiring performances out there last night,can expect and accept it tho with the blend of youth & senior players not having much game time together.
TAA stole the show,some sloppy passes early on but grew into the game,put in a solid performance to take Motm.
Phil is Phil..perfect game to build his match fitness.
Lost that bit of affinity with their fans when they resorted to the Gerrard song & did they boo YNWA sang after 25mins?
Sounded like they did,very poor if so on their behalf considering what it was sung for.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 19, 2017, 09:53:33 am »
Will get around reading the thread later but I just wanted to say I am delighted that one of my favourite Liverpool players of this era Lucas Leiva captained and finally, finally scored (the match winner as well).
Top top guy, watch out now ... there are more to come .... maybe !

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2017, 09:55:54 am »
Be interesting to see how many of the youngsters who started will break through and be first team regulars.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2017, 10:07:36 am »
Totally agree, just doesn't look interested in sprinting. Pre injury Sturridge would be in our first eleven but he's  is a shadow of that player, very sad really.

This for me.

Studge still has the quality finishing, what seems to have evaporated this season is his pace, he was never the fastest sprinter but he was lightning at change of pace and that seems to have gone unfortunately.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
This for me.

Studge still has the quality finishing, what seems to have evaporated this season is his pace, he was never the fastest sprinter but he was lightning at change of pace and that seems to have gone unfortunately.

More than likely just saving himself for the weekend.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2017, 10:17:19 am »

DOB   Age

That's 21 years, 201 days. It was 21 years 296 days at kickoff in the first match so beats that comfortably but not sure if it sets any sort of record. Take out Lucas and it drops to 20.70 years.

Gomez is only 19!

He's going to be great isn't he

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2017, 10:23:08 am »
Kind of disappointed not to see players on show put in more of a fight to be honest. Not in terms of effort but just showing what they are about and staking a claim to be included in first team games in the future. Not everyone, Karius, Lucas and Gomez didn't do a lot wrong, but people like Sturridge, Moreno, Origi.

I do think we have lost a bit of confidence and a swagger that we had earlier in the season. Maybe that plays a part but everything felt very slow, as if we were going through the motions.

Happy with the win - felt like our first win in a long time. Need to string some of those together again.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:39 am »
We should talk more about Woodburn by the way.... how good was he when he dropped a bit deeper and was in the game more??

Touch, control, passing. His awareness of space and players around him at 17 is ridiculously fucking good. I mean... he's not 20... he's 17... he's about 6 years off his peak.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2017, 10:42:43 am »
We should talk more about Woodburn by the way.... how good was he when he dropped a bit deeper and was in the game more??

Touch, control, passing. His awareness of space and players around him at 17 is ridiculously fucking good. I mean... he's not 20... he's 17... he's about 6 years off his peak.

Much better there, than as an attacking player where he was ineffective. Couple posters have talked about him may be playing in a Lallana position, to be honest that point resonates moreso now.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
Much better there, than as an attacking player where he was ineffective. Couple posters have talked about him may be playing in a Lallana position, to be honest that point resonates moreso now.

Most of our attackers were ineffective though, Plymouth had a lot of big players packed around their goal, playing out of their skin and surrounding any attacker who got near the goal. When the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge are struggling to find space to get a shot off you can't really expect Woodburn to look at his best.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:57 am »
I had a look using http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/1180 and http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=47374 -

1 in 1-0 win against Plymouth
1 in 4-1 win against Steaua
1 in 4-1 win against Benfica
1 in 2-1 win against Crewe
1 in 4-4 draw with Chelsea
1 in 3-0 win against Newcastle
1 in 5-2 win against Havant and Waterlooville

So this is the first time he's scored the only goal for us in a game, usually they have quite a few other goals, and like Milner with his penalties - whenever Lucas scores for us, we don't lose. ;D

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:32 am »

He's the best attacking talent to come through the academy since Sterling. Been obvious from early on in his time with the u18s and he's just made ridiculous leaps since then. It's hard not to be excited by a prospect like that who slots in so easily in to multiple positions at that age.

You could see his awareness for the u18s, think it was away to Everton last season where he just kept getting in to loads of space, it's not something you tend to notice in academy games like a fantastic run with the ball, but it was just so easy and obvious with him.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:23 am »

Definitely. I was always under the impression that he was more a tricky winger but he didn't get anything out of their left back in the first half, partially because of how deep Plymouth defended but still. Second half when he moved more centrally he kept finding space in between their defence and midfield and no one could pick him up. His intelligence of the game is astounding for a 17 year old.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2017, 11:28:22 am »

DOB   Age

Impressive way the team closed out that match, with 6 teenagers in it  8)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #311 on: January 19, 2017, 12:17:25 pm »
Be interesting to see how many of the youngsters who started will break through and be first team regulars.

Given most of the youngsters are 17-19 it's probably worth waiting till at least the 2020-2021 season before making a true judgement how many have broken through. They'd be 20-22 by then.

In the meantime, let's hope they keep on getting these opportunities to impress in the 1st team. A lot of them didn't impress la great deal last night but I bet they learnt loads and that will help them in the long run as a professional footballer (at Liverpool or elsewhere)
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:53 pm »
Wilson was great when he came on, maybe due to the nature of the game opening up. He also gave Woodburn someone to link with more and was in and around the box.

Ojo again gave us an option of someone to get it to out wide, and he got a few decent balls in.

Loving the youngsters playing under Klopp, and it's nice to have confidence in him getting a result with them. Playing these games and getting some spotlight means they will either develop well, or we will be able to get a bit more money if they don't quite get to the standard wanted by the club.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »
Very nice tribute to that Plymouth fans son. Bizarre response.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:58 pm »

yes - he helped control the midfield - but it also took him out of dangerous attacking positions. But then maybe we thought we could let Origi take care of that.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:21 pm »
Impressive way the team closed out that match, with 6 teenagers in it  8)

really impressive. and what was great was that it was almost entirely because of the 6 teenagers, not in spite of them

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:26 pm »
Seen a few people say this, yet I thought he did fine, you can tell he's coming back off a long injury layoff but wouldn't say he was awful.

I think the reason for so many contrasting views is because his work in possession of the ball was mostly good with a couple of excellent passes (and a couple that were more risky than needed, but came off), whereas his work challenging for headers, winning balls, and snuffing out danger was poor in comparison. TAA saved him a couple of poor moments. He also seemed to end up in the same position as lucas a couple of times, leaving ourselves wide open through the middle.

All of this is perfectly acceptable after a year out, obviously. Very reassuring also to see his fitness maintain towards the end (when he actually played some of his best stuff), showing the improvement one and a half 1st team games can have on match fitness

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:11 pm »
All of the kids playing in a team with a few senior players that have never played a full 90 minutes together.  Not sure what you were expecting performance wise,  I thought that many of the kids had good individual performances and I would have no problem with Klopp using them more as squad players.  We saw that Trent AA came in as the only young player, playing with a full team of Senior players, and he didn't look out of place at all.  If we need to bring in the kids 1 at a time in the league I think they'll be fine.  Bring them all in together and there will certainly be struggles. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: January 19, 2017, 01:36:26 pm »

I thought Gomez looked great at times but he also struggled at times.  He made a couple of basic mistakes but he's been out for a long time so there is certainly no need to panic about it.   

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »
Main thing was getting a result with a skeleton squad and we did that. I didn't see the game but by all accounts in wasn't a classic. Delighted for Lucas - can't believe it's nearly seven years since he netted for us. Also good to hear that a lot of the young lads conducted themselves well once again. It's particularly pleasing that Gomez hasn't had any setbacks that I sometimes worry about from players coming back from a lengthy layoff. Disappointing that the seniors were apparently poor - there is some work to be done on getting Origi and Sturridge back to their best. Bring on Wolves.