Author Topic: Dalian Atkinson: Police officer charged with murdering footballer  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50333081

A police officer has been charged with the murder of retired footballer Dalian Atkinson who died after being Tasered.

The ex-Aston Villa striker, 48, was restrained by police officers at his father's house in Telford, Shropshire, on 15 August 2016.

A second police officer, also from the West Mercia Police force, has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm.

They will appear at Birmingham magistrates and crown courts later.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) made the decision to press charges following an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

The CPS has not named the two police constables as it understands their defence will be applying for them to remain anonymous.

An alternative charge of unlawful act manslaughter has also been put forward by the CPS for the officer charged with murder.

Mr Atkinson's family has been informed, a spokesperson said, and issued a statement welcoming the decision but they "regret that already more than three years have passed since Dalian died".

Police officers attended Meadows Close in Trench, Telford, where Mr Atkinson was detained outside an address at about 01:30 BST.

He was taken by ambulance to the Princess Royal Hospital where he later died.

Relatives said the footballer was suffering from a number of health issues and had a weak heart when the Taser was deployed.

Mr Atkinson started his career at Ipswich Town before moving to Sheffield Wednesday, Real Sociedad, Aston Villa and Fenerbahçe in Turkey.

He is best remembered for scoring the Match of the Day goal of the season in 1992-93 when he dribbled the ball from inside his own half before chipping the Wimbledon keeper from the edge of the penalty area.

In a statement, West Mercia Police said: "Our thoughts continue to remain with the family and friends of Dalian Atkinson at this difficult time".

Chief Constable Anthony Bangham said it would not be appropriate to comment on the circumstances around Mr Atkinson's death, but added he would ensure the officers in question "have the appropriate support throughout the forthcoming criminal justice process".

The IOPC said it appreciates the "patience" shown during their investigation, which concluded in October 2018.

A actions of a third police officer, who was also investigated over Mr Atkinson's death, were not referred to the CPS, the watchdog added.

:o
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dalian Atkinson: Police officer charged with murdering footballer
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2019, 12:47:11 pm »
Hear that? That's the sound of heels being dragged.  >:(

The IOPC finished its investigation in October last year, but another year on top if that before charges were brought? :o
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »
How does that work with them being kept anonymous then? Do they get named if found guilty? I mean, they'll surely lose their jobs anyway so it's not to protect them in their job is it? Seems like one rule for one, one for the rest of us.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2019, 07:05:05 pm »
How does that work with them being kept anonymous then? Do they get named if found guilty? I mean, they'll surely lose their jobs anyway so it's not to protect them in their job is it? Seems like one rule for one, one for the rest of us.

Possibly because they would be high profile targets for Villa fans if they were named?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »
This is wild. How can they be charged with murder for discharging a non lethal weapon?
« Last Edit: November 7, 2019, 07:37:10 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2019, 07:32:34 pm »
This is wild. How ca they be charged with murder for discharging a non lethal weapon?

I wondered that, unless the prosecution are saying they were aware of his medical conditions and knew they shouldn't taser him because of it? It'll all come out during the trial.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2019, 08:09:19 pm »
Possibly because they would be high profile targets for Villa fans if they were named?
Yeah maybe. I imagine the guy on the murder charge is in custody though. I guess their families might not be safe either though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2019, 08:24:21 pm »
Yeah maybe. I imagine the guy on the murder charge is in custody though. I guess their families might not be safe either though.

If he is locked up, probably even worse if he was named, and his job revealed.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2019, 08:38:17 pm »
If he is locked up, probably even worse if he was named, and his job revealed.
Good point!

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »
I vaguely recall there was mention that his health issues were known or made clear to the police.
Hadn't the police dealt with him before?
bollocks

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 12:05:38 pm »

'Police officer guilty of manslaughter of ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson':-

PC Benjamin Monk of West Mercia force convicted at Birmingham crown court of 2016 killing

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson & www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-57495426

'A police officer has been convicted of the manslaughter of the former professional footballer Dalian Atkinson, after firing an electric stun gun into him for 33 seconds and kicking him twice in the head as he lay on the ground.

PC Benjamin Monk of the West Mercia force, was convicted of the killing by a jury at Birmingham crown court.

Monk was accused of lying in court about his account, and of kicking and stamping on Atkinson’s head while he was barely conscious on the ground.

Monk is the first officer convicted of manslaughter during the course of his duties in over three decades.

Atkinson was kicked with such force his blood was found in the laces of Monk’s police issue boots.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 12:10:33 pm »
He should've been done for murder. The multiple, forceful head kicks is surely the main point of this.

I actually grew up nearby to the family of the other officer at the scene. Strange family but not bad people. There's a tangled web there given they were having an affair whilst on active duty together. I assume she'll face some form of charge given she struck him with her baton multiple times when he was already unconscious on the ground.

This further shines a light on how mental health disorders are policed in this country. There's restraint and then there's this.

“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 12:24:25 pm »
'Police officer guilty of manslaughter of ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson':-

PC Benjamin Monk of West Mercia force convicted at Birmingham crown court of 2016 killing

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson & www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-57495426

At least there has been (some sort of) justice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:55:07 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 12:25:21 pm »
He should've been done for murder. The multiple, forceful head kicks is surely the main point of this.

I actually grew up nearby to the family of the other officer at the scene. Strange family but not bad people. There's a tangled web there given they were having an affair whilst on active duty together. I assume she'll face some form of charge given she struck him with her baton multiple times when he was already unconscious on the ground.

This further shines a light on how mental health disorders are policed in this country. There's restraint and then there's this.

An average person could use the excuse of not realising that kicking someone in the head would cause grevious bodily harm or kill them, but a serving Police officer surely cannot use this as a defence, based on experience of seeing victims of such things. The 33 seconds of taser he could say he never realised/was never taught that this could be lethal, but the boots to the head he has no excuse.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 12:39:32 pm »
An average person could use the excuse of not realising that kicking someone in the head would cause grevious bodily harm or kill them, but a serving Police officer surely cannot use this as a defence, based on experience of seeing victims of such things. The 33 seconds of taser he could say he never realised/was never taught that this could be lethal, but the boots to the head he has no excuse.
I can understand the over use of the taser in the heat of the moment, I can. But like you say Rob, when it comes to multiple, violent blows from a boot to the head of an already subdued suspect, it crosses that line of reasonable force by some extreme distance and becomes straight up police brutality.

I think anyone with sense knows that booting someone in the head, three times, hard enough to cake your laces in blood, is going to have long term consequences for the victim. It doesn't seem to be noted in many places that he also had his boot clamped on the victim's head when the back up officers arrived at the scene. There seems to have been an application of way too much force, in an illegal manner in this instance.

When you break down the facts
- They tasered him longer than is allowed by law and far exceeding what they're trained to do
- The lead officer kicked the victim in the head multiple times when he was already incapacitated.
- The supporting officer struck the victim several times with a baton when he was already restrained and incapacitated.
- Upon arrival at the scene, the back up officers noted the lead officer had his boot applied to the head of the incapacitated and restrained victim who was face down on the ground at this stage.
- The lead officer's changed his statement from first instance to second interview.
- The two officers were found subsequently to have been engaged in an affair whilst on duty together and have made separate statements when apart, before their statements aligning upon subsequent investigation.

This goes beyond mistakes in the heat of the moment and just looks like something much more insidious. It must have been painful for the family of the victim to have to hear all this in court.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 12:52:42 pm »
He should've been done for murder.

Agreed, this will be politically driven - clearly ticks the box for actus reus, mens rea clearly also ticked - Malice aforethought means an intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm. Grievous bodily harm is given the same meaning as under section 20 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. This means that an intention to cause really serious harm (DPP v Smith [1961] AC 290) is required. It is not necessary for the harm foreseen or intended by the defendant to be harm that may endanger life. Therefore, a defendant who intends to break a victim’s arm, but holds no intention to kill, will be liable for murder (Cunningham)

So he should have been charged and convicted of murder, if I were his family, I'd be wholly unsatisfied with the charge.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 12:56:38 pm »
Agreed, this will be politically driven - clearly ticks the box for actus reus, mens rea clearly also ticked - Malice aforethought means an intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm. Grievous bodily harm is given the same meaning as under section 20 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. This means that an intention to cause really serious harm (DPP v Smith [1961] AC 290) is required. It is not necessary for the harm foreseen or intended by the defendant to be harm that may endanger life. Therefore, a defendant who intends to break a victim’s arm, but holds no intention to kill, will be liable for murder (Cunningham)

So he should have been charged and convicted of murder, if I were his family, I'd be wholly unsatisfied with the charge.

And c*nts will still complain about BLM and taking the knee.
Jurgen YNWA

Online A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 01:05:32 pm »
And c*nts will still complain about BLM and taking the knee.

I suspect this is more about precedent, and having a police officer convicted of murder whilst on duty - not only is it a PR disaster and poor optics, more significantly it puts a noose around the neck of all police officers who in their line of work are far more open to situations that put them in a position where these situations happen as a consequence it becomes a very precarious profession if they are held to the same standard as Joe Bloggs in the public. We'd see police officers not react to situations through fear of reprisal - many leaving the force through fear of being put in that situation with no protection etc - I suspect this is more the driver behind the decision to charge for Manslaughter as opposed to Murder.

But by all definitions, the above is a clear a case of Murder as you'll see.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 01:14:28 pm »
Oh good. Only took five years.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 01:16:08 pm »
First police officer convicted of a killing in three decades  ::)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:37:40 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 01:33:18 pm »

He was charged with murder but acquitted.

Online A-Bomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 01:37:46 pm »

Oh was he? I've just read that - it would appear it was purely a result of the jury then - unless instructions were offered by the Judge.

Well fair play to the CPS for putting the murder case forward then.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 01:40:38 pm »

Yep.

Sounds like murder could/should have been the conviction.

33 seconds with a taser, then kicking him in the head (twice) so hard, whilst unresponsive, that you leave an imprint of your boot.

I nearly had a row with someone a couple of weeks ago who was defending the bacon.  Said he must have been fearful for his life and that these footballers (he probably meant black men) are huge and fearsome.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:44:37 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 02:43:47 pm »
I suspect this is more about precedent, and having a police officer convicted of murder whilst on duty - not only is it a PR disaster and poor optics, more significantly it puts a noose around the neck of all police officers who in their line of work are far more open to situations that put them in a position where these situations happen as a consequence it becomes a very precarious profession if they are held to the same standard as Joe Bloggs in the public. We'd see police officers not react to situations through fear of reprisal - many leaving the force through fear of being put in that situation with no protection etc - I suspect this is more the driver behind the decision to charge for Manslaughter as opposed to Murder.

But by all definitions, the above is a clear a case of Murder as you'll see.

Sorry I was rushing out so didn't read what you posted properly.

My reference to BLM was more along the lines that a white man, say Dean Saunders for example, wouldn't have been treated the same way.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 09:38:17 pm »
If only Dalian had complied ... yada yada
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 10:39:27 pm »
Yep.

Sounds like murder could/should have been the conviction.

33 seconds with a taser, then kicking him in the head (twice) so hard, whilst unresponsive, that you leave an imprint of your boot.

I nearly had a row with someone a couple of weeks ago who was defending the bacon.  Said he must have been fearful for his life and that these footballers (he probably meant black men) are huge and fearsome.

George Floyd vibes from that.  Hard to put a ciggie paper in between - either the crime or the excuses being made for it.

Popcorn's Art

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 03:33:34 am »

'Dalian Atkinson’s family say five-year wait for trial was ‘unacceptable’':-

Legal restrictions meant details of the incident were not made public until the trial began in May, almost five years after Atkinson, 48, died.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:39 am »
'Dalian Atkinson’s family say five-year wait for trial was ‘unacceptable’':-

Legal restrictions meant details of the incident were not made public until the trial began in May, almost five years after Atkinson, 48, died.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson

I feel so sorry for Dalian and his Family, the really sick irony is though they've probably waited longer for justice than the neanderthal scumbag and his sidekick will serve in Prison after the inevitable Time Off for Good behaviour!
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 09:13:01 am »
It was always going to be difficult to get a jury to convict a serving police officer with a murder charge, especially for an act carried out whilst on duty.

Sentencing will be interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than five years. A man who left the imprint of his boot laces on another mans head, whilst killing him, walked out of court yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:15:09 am by jacobs chains »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 09:17:51 am »
Of course, he'll serve out what little time he gets on the nonce's wing.  Shame.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2021, 04:36:45 pm »

'Dalian Atkinson killing: officer was kept on despite gross misconduct':-

Benjamin Monk previously found to have committed gross misconduct but kept job and was given stun gun

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/28/dalian-atkinson-killing-officer-was-kept-on-despite-gross-misconduct

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2021, 05:27:19 pm »
'Dalian Atkinson killing: officer was kept on despite gross misconduct':-

Benjamin Monk previously found to have committed gross misconduct but kept job and was given stun gun

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/28/dalian-atkinson-killing-officer-was-kept-on-despite-gross-misconduct

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to rules for authority and those for the rest of us.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 03:23:41 pm »
8 years that cop got for killing Dalian. 8 years.

@davidallengreen
Not the most impressive sentencing remarks, and you can expect the @attorneygeneral  to consider referring the case to the court of appeal for undue leniency.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2021, 07:23:47 pm »
8 years that cop got for killing Dalian. 8 years.

@davidallengreen
Not the most impressive sentencing remarks, and you can expect the @attorneygeneral  to consider referring the case to the court of appeal for undue leniency.
And the ‘Brave’ Twat will probably be out in four!
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2021, 07:30:08 pm »
Sadly, entirely predictable when will things ever change?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:04 pm »
Sadly, entirely predictable when will things ever change?
When the corruption is imbedded nothing will change.  Might as well live your life and hope your not the victim.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2022, 05:17:14 pm »
Disgusting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-63063137

Dalian Atkinson: Officer cleared of assaulting killed ex-footballer

A police officer has been found not guilty of assaulting an ex-footballer the night he was killed.

Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith was accused of striking Dalian Atkinson with her baton when he posed no threat in August 2016, but claimed she was "very frightened".

Mr Atkinson had been acting out of character outside his father's house in Telford due to ongoing health issues and died after being tasered by PC Bettley-Smith's partner, Benjamin Monk.

He was jailed for manslaughter in 2021.

During PC Bettley Smith's retrial at Birmingham Crown Court, jurors heard the two West Mercia Police officers were called to Mr Atkinson's father's home on Meadow Close in Trench late on 15 August.

The former striker, who played for Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town, was said to have been in a disturbed mental state - likely as a result of a build-up of toxins linked to renal failure.

His partner Karen Wright said he had mentioned "the messiah" on 14 August and removed a dialysis line which had left him in constant pain. He had also smashed a window at his father's home.

He had been due to receive treatment for renal failure hours after his death.

PC Bettley-Smith, 32, told the court during her retrial that she was "terrified" of the 48-year-old who she said looked "huge" and "very angry".

Monk would go on to deploy three Taser cartridges, but after the first PC Bettley-Smith said "there was literally no reaction" from Mr Atkinson.

"All of this happened in such a quick amount of time," she told jurors. "It's hard to put into words all these years later, but it was terrifying. You have had a Taser fail.

"It was a very frightening experience. I think in my interview I said my life flashed before my eyes and that is still to this day a good representation of how I feel."

The court heard she had only started as a probationary officer six months earlier.

Her colleague was jailed for eight years in 2021, after being convicted of manslaughter, but the jury last year had failed to reach a verdict on PC Bettley-Smith's assault charge.

Mr Atkinson died in hospital about an hour after Monk tasered him and kicked him in the head with enough force to leave imprints of his bootlaces.

PC Bettley-Smith struck him three times with her baton while he was laying on the ground after the final discharge.

Prosecutors argued that PC Bettley-Smith, while not contributing to Mr Atkinson's death, caused him actual bodily harm.

They told the court she was "angry" with Mr Atkinson, who they said was laying on the ground and posing no threat, however jurors agreed with the defence that the officer had used her baton lawfully as a last resort.

Jurors deliberated for just over three hours before acquitting PC Bettley-Smith.

She said Mr Atkinson's death had left her feeling overwhelmed, adding: "I live it every day."

Following the verdict, West Mercia Police again apologised to Mr Atkinson's family for their "devastating loss" and "extremely long and difficult journey".

"We're very aware of the significant impact this case has had on trust and confidence, in particular within our black communities and our communities in Telford," said Assistant Chief Constable Rachel Jones.

"There is much more work for us to do, our black communities must feel respected and represented; and equally protected by West Mercia Police."

The force's statement was echoed by the West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner, John Campion.

Representing Mr Atkinson's family, Kate Maynard said "swift and robust accountability is essential for the public and bereaved to have faith in the criminal justice system".

"Sadly, it remains unusual for a jury to be given the chance to determine whether a police officer is guilty of unlawful violence in the course of their duty," she said.

Despite the verdict, Ms Maynard said the CPS should "have confidence in bringing more police officers to trial in relation to their use of force".

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which investigated the case, said its view was that PC Bettley-Smith should now face disciplinary proceedings and that it would be working with the West Mercia force about next steps.

"Police officers are given extraordinary powers to use force, and the way they use force must be reasonable and proportionate," said IOPC regional director Derrick Campbell.

"After we presented our evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service it authorised the charge of actual bodily harm. It was important that the officer's actions were brought before a court and the jury has now made its decision."

He extended his condolences to Mr Atkinson's family who he said "have had to wait patiently for a long time for justice to fully take its course".
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2022, 05:24:54 pm »
That copper can pretend to be sorry all she wants until the rest of her days.
It won't bring him back.

R.I.P Dalian Atkinson
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 05:34:37 pm by Terry de Niro »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2022, 09:28:49 pm »
He extended his condolences to Mr Atkinson's family who he said "have had to wait patiently for a long time for justice to fully take its course".

If that's "Justice" then the Tories are economically competent.  :butt :wanker

Popcorn's Art