Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3112724 times)

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #78520 on: April 18, 2024, 07:34:56 pm »
Football's littered with uber talented players that don't fit systems

I genuinely don't know what you do with Trent... he's obivously a world class talent but that's not the same as whats his role... 
If pushed my feeling on it is that his best position is as a plain attacking full back in a flat back 4 but all the signs are he doesn't want to be that anymore so who knows

Even if you put his insane talent to one side, he’s in that sweet spot in terms of age and experience. I’m not overly fussed if he plays right back, right of a back 3, or one of the 2 DMs (assuming it’s Amorim and he goes 3-4-3). I know it gets said a lot that he doesn’t want to play right back but he was on the Overlap with Neville and said he sees himself as a right back but can play in midfield if asked. And for all of Bradley’s emerging brilliance and Gomez’s solidity, I’m still currently happier seeing Trent at right back knowing what he brings to our play.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78521 on: April 18, 2024, 09:57:12 pm »
Said before that this squad needs an injection of quality throughout. Not loads but 2-4 really top quality footballers.

Oh and please get someone who can take on and beat a man.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78522 on: April 18, 2024, 10:05:11 pm »
Said before that this squad needs an injection of quality throughout. Not loads but 2-4 really top quality footballers.

Agreed.

We need a CB LB CM and forward as I said other day.

No penny pinching this summer just get the quality we need.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #78523 on: April 18, 2024, 10:07:35 pm »

Hopefully we actually sign players who fit the managers tactical set up instead of buying players and trying to turn them into players they aren’t.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78524 on: April 18, 2024, 10:08:00 pm »
Need a big injection of quality in every area and please for the love of god only sign players who are great athletes too, any more slow or physical players who don't use it would be a disaster.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78525 on: April 18, 2024, 10:09:40 pm »
Need a big injection of quality in every area and please for the love of god only sign players who are great athletes too, any more slow or physical players who don't use it would be a disaster.

Mentioned it in the Klopp template thread but the players we’ve brought in and what we’re trying to do aren’t in sync - now nerds are back in charge of transfers hopefully that’ll be rectified.

Thought that Ederson looked good for them in midfield FWIW.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78526 on: April 18, 2024, 10:48:54 pm »
Agreed.

Would agree with this, I think we can get away with not signing a CB and bringing back Van Den Berg but a left back, Defensive Midfielder and Forward are musts.

Would be useful if we can find a forward who can play on both sides.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78527 on: April 18, 2024, 10:51:07 pm »
Would agree with this, I think we can get away with not signing a CB and bringing back Van Den Berg but a left back, Defensive Midfielder and Forward are musts.

Would be useful if we can find a forward who can play on both sides.

We need more CB's if we are playing 3 at the back.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #78528 on: April 18, 2024, 10:52:34 pm »
Agreed.

Net spend is 150M since Jan ‘23, without CL football this season and rising wage bill

Lots of contract renewals this summer also. Think decisions on Trent, Salah, VvD, Konate a d Diaz contracts are all imminent. Sign them up this summer or sell. If most of them sign a new deal it’ll be on improved terms.

Likes of Bradley, Quansah will get new improved deals based on performance. Might look to reward other players with new deals also - Gomez and MacAllister being 2 potentials.

Think we need 1 -3 players but not necessarily in addition to what we’ve got. Probably substitutional and if it’s a big investment in a new player it’ll probably be because funds are not being utilised to retains current player.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 10:58:07 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78529 on: April 18, 2024, 10:53:49 pm »

Diaz can take on and beat a man, it’s just very difficult when you’re being double teamed or facing up against a set low block. There’s not a squad in the world that wouldn’t love a pacy dribbler but I do think it’s a little overstated. I think Martinelli’s a class player but he got very little change out of Bayern’s back line last night.

For me my big want is proper deep possession players/defenders. It’s felt like at times under Klopp when teams get in our face, our solution is to push mids/full backs high and go direct, it obviously works, but it feels like the game is trending more and more towards utilising your own defensive third as the place to start attacks. I think Carragher said a few months ago he thinks the centre back position’s the most demanding in the game as you need pace, top defensive ability and now need to act like a 10 in possession. I think that and the 6 position has become the most fundamental positions to dominating games now via chance prevention and sustaining possession. Under Klopp we’ve prioritised physically dominant defenders with elite physical attributes, that will no doubt still be needed but I do think we need to look at raising the technical proficiency. Having read loads on Amorim, the Inacio signing seems a no brainer.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78530 on: April 18, 2024, 10:55:27 pm »
We need more CB's if we are playing 3 at the back.

I don’t think we will, VVD Quansah Konate Gomez VDB sounds ok to me but I really rate Van Den Berg, probably more than the average fan.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78531 on: April 18, 2024, 11:01:24 pm »
Diaz can take on and beat a man, it’s just very difficult when you’re being double teamed or facing up against a set low block. There’s not a squad in the world that wouldn’t love a pacy dribbler but I do think it’s a little overstated. I think Martinelli’s a class player but he got very little change out of Bayern’s back line last night.

For me my big want is proper deep possession players/defenders. It’s felt like at times under Klopp when teams get in our face, our solution is to push mids/full backs high and go direct, it obviously works, but it feels like the game is trending more and more towards utilising your own defensive third as the place to start attacks. I think Carragher said a few months ago he thinks the centre back position’s the most demanding in the game as you need pace, top defensive ability and now need to act like a 10 in possession. I think that and the 6 position has become the most fundamental positions to dominating games now via chance prevention and sustaining possession. Under Klopp we’ve prioritised physically dominant defenders with elite physical attributes, that will no doubt still be needed but I do think we need to look at raising the technical proficiency. Having read loads on Amorim, the Inacio signing seems a no brainer.

Disagree on Diaz. He is decent at getting past players but nowhere as good as some of the top players. His numbers regarding that dont have him at the top table either.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #78532 on: April 18, 2024, 11:14:21 pm »
Agreed.

Think so as well. A reliable number 9 will be required.

For those signings, we'd part fund with 1-2 major sales I'm thinking.

I think Trent plays a major role in all of this, from right midfield, so a monster defensive mid
and the 3rd centre half enable that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78533 on: April 18, 2024, 11:30:04 pm »
We need another winger who can beat a man with real pace in our attacking lineup.. Darwin is the only one and well he's Darwin.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #78534 on: April 19, 2024, 12:52:03 am »
Trent  can play a traditional right back role …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78535 on: April 19, 2024, 05:26:47 am »
Disagree on Diaz. He is decent at getting past players but nowhere as good as some of the top players. His numbers regarding that dont have him at the top table either.

His numbers at Porto did, though, and that’s why numbers can be difficult to predict sometimes, especially for something like dribbling. Diaz can dribble, he was widely seen as an elite dribbler, ball carrier and someone that could beat his man at will in Portugal, he also has top speed and acceleration. For me the issue is tactics and how we play rather than the player himself. We’d all love the next Doku (I wanted us to sign him before City), but one of the reasons Doku is so brilliant is because the structure of City’s play revolves around getting him isolated 1v1 against full backs: the movement, the probing, the constant recycling of the ball, the switches etc it’s all to get him isolated, just as it was with Mahrez, with Grealish and Foden when he played more wide.

I think if we want speed and ball carrying someone like Rafa Leao ticks a lot of boxes (a lot, not all) but I’m not sure on the mentality, whether he’s someone that’s going to be a dominant player or whether he’s more like a Rashford, good in moments, the odd purple patch followed by periods of invisibility and fans questioning his will to be great.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78536 on: April 19, 2024, 07:20:57 am »
We need more pace up top and some much better ball players in the middle, we can’t quickly pass and move ourselves out of a paper bag.

A 6 in the Busqests mould would be fine as well.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78537 on: April 19, 2024, 07:30:07 am »
We need more pace up top and some much better ball players in the middle, we can’t quickly pass and move ourselves out of a paper bag.

I'd say the latter is coaching really. Like Brighton get it done with much worse players, but obviously have flaws elsewhere because it's their foundation on how they approach games

Klopp himself 'The way they play. It's a really different way – I couldn't coach that, it goes against my personality, but it's a good watch.'

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78538 on: April 19, 2024, 07:54:58 am »
As far as I am concerned we need to become better at recruitment again and hopefully the return of the nerds help that. We have effectively lost Matip, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Firmino and Mane from what was Klopp’s best 11 in 18-20 and can we say any replacements signed have been better?

The only players in that level we have signed are Jota, Mac Allister and Konate and two of those are huge injury concerns. We need to up the talent levels in this squad.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78539 on: April 19, 2024, 09:14:12 am »
I'd say the latter is coaching really. Like Brighton get it done with much worse players, but obviously have flaws elsewhere because it's their foundation on how they approach games

Klopp himself 'The way they play. It's a really different way – I couldn't coach that, it goes against my personality, but it's a good watch.'

Agreed. It’s coaching/tactics rather than the players themselves, for me too.

There’s nothing wrong with how we play, it’s a really effective way of playing if you’re close to 100%. Any way of playing looks ineffective if you’re using players that are fatigued or low on confidence. I do think as we move on from Klopp we do need to look to evolve and I’d say the next evolution would be to add a bit more structure to the attack and how we build our play from the back. It probably adds an extra premium to a player, or you probably have to sacrifice a bit of defensive ability/athleticism for greater technical ability, it’ll be worthwhile though given how dominant we’d be with the ball.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #78540 on: April 19, 2024, 09:55:15 am »
As far as I am concerned we need to become better at recruitment again and hopefully the return of the nerds help that. We have effectively lost Matip, Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Firmino and Mane from what was Klopp’s best 11 in 18-20 and can we say any replacements signed have been better?

The only players in that level we have signed are Jota, Mac Allister and Konate and two of those are huge injury concerns. We need to up the talent levels in this squad.

Bit of an unfair question, the players we've signed haven't really been like for like replacements. You can't compare Nunez and Bobby when they're completely different players. Macallister I'd say is better than Gini or Hendo. We haven't signed a proper DM (yet). Konate I'd say is better than Matip. And Mane was an all time PL great.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78541 on: April 19, 2024, 10:04:41 am »

The Nerds never left.
The only spot that hasnt had an upgrade at the spot probably Mane but they asking different stuff from there and Diaz gets more shots from the wing then Mane did.
The Mf never been this deep or technically good. Front line as a deep as it ever been 5 PL starting quality forwards for top 4 teams.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78542 on: April 19, 2024, 10:29:32 am »

its just very hard to get players that good again
look around at the top forwards. Not really many standouts anymore imo. Not as many quality fowards around who stay fit & can deliver top class numbers.
Look at Martenelli dropped off same with Rashford. Leao & Kvava too not really pushed on. Only realy Vinicius has improved.
I think the demands in the modern game means you need more depth in attack.
Think the days of Mane,Firmino & Salah playing every week with the numbers they have in attack along with the defensive work are gone

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78543 on: April 19, 2024, 10:36:18 am »
Ornstein reporting Guimaraes has a release clause - get it done.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78544 on: April 19, 2024, 11:07:46 am »
We probably need quite a few in, particularly with a new manager coming in - likely with a different style of play.

Hopefully, he gets a bit of backing and can add to that with some player sales to freshen up the squad.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78545 on: April 19, 2024, 11:11:19 am »
We really shouldn't be looking at this squad and thinking we need quite a few in. I'd say 3/4 max is where the budget should be going

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78546 on: April 19, 2024, 11:11:50 am »
We really shouldn't be looking at this squad and thinking we need quite a few in. I'd say 3/4 max is where the budget should be going

Yep absolutely. Real quality players.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78547 on: April 19, 2024, 11:33:23 am »
I imagine it’d be tempting for him to go and try and experience something new, but long-term I still feel he’d want to continue to make his mark here.  Hopefully the contract negotiations go well.

He may feel there isn't a better time to move than this summer post-Klopp.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78548 on: April 19, 2024, 11:40:04 am »

I agree, we really shouldn't, particularly with our forwards. I think we need another forward in that will start every game. At whose expense, I'm not sure, but our already freshened forward line looks like it needs further refreshing. That absolutely should not be the case, yet here we are.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78549 on: April 19, 2024, 12:04:50 pm »

On the midfield, whether it's two in the centre under Amorim or a three, and considering Mac Allister obviously has his place in either, how would you go about building around him going forward? Bring a couple of new ones in, or do we already have the players here. Of course Szoboszlai hasn't looked the same for a while and Endo whilst doing well probably isn't the long term option. Still have other good quality players like Elliott/Jones/Bajcetic etc while Thiago moving on will free a space. Question marks remain as they obviously did last season.

I'm really hoping Bajcetic can hit the ground running when he's back. What I'd love to happen personally is he comes in and plays behind the more advanced two, Mac Allister is obviously there, there's a couple of really technically brilliant players, and then we'd have someone with a bit of drive who can chip in with goals and assists. Szoboszlai? Really isn't looking the part right now but we know he has it in them. They'll need to be much more of a presence whoever it is. We've already found the closest thing you'll see to Modric in Mac Allister, if we can find a De Bruyne type player next that wouldn't go amiss.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78550 on: April 19, 2024, 12:22:10 pm »

We've never really been a smooth passing team under Klopp have we?  We have mostly been a fast attacking, direct (ish), and mad pressing team.  A controlled passing team who patiently plays out of the back isn't anything we've ever tried to do really. 

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #78551 on: April 19, 2024, 04:31:03 pm »
Ugh no thanks.  He’s an absolute prick and a hugely overrated player (in my opinion).

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78552 on: April 19, 2024, 04:54:03 pm »
We've never really been a smooth passing team under Klopp have we?  We have mostly been a fast attacking, direct (ish), and mad pressing team.  A controlled passing team who patiently plays out of the back isn't anything we've ever tried to do really.

When we won the league I think we were very controlled and our forwards were far better at retaining possesion high up the field so we retained posession exceptionally well.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #78553 on: April 19, 2024, 05:02:23 pm »
When we won the league I think we were very controlled and our forwards were far better at retaining possesion high up the field so we retained posession exceptionally well.

We had an athletic pressing machine in midfield and elite fowards, who were not only elite but amazingly selfless.

Now we have a midfield that is neither a creative powerhouse nor a pressing machine - somewhere in between. Mac Allister is a better player than Hendo, Gini and Milner but the version 1.0 midfield worked better for us.

Time for change of style and approach perhaps?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78554 on: April 19, 2024, 05:09:39 pm »
We had an athletic pressing machine in midfield and elite fowards, who were not only elite but amazingly selfless.

Now we have a midfield that is neither a creative powerhouse nor a pressing machine - somewhere in between. Mac Allister is a better player than Hendo, Gini and Milner but the version 1.0 midfield worked better for us.

Time for change of style and approach perhaps?

That would be my wish yes, even if Klopp was staying. The inverted fullback isn't for me, even with Trent it felt we were too easy to score against, I'd rather we won 1-0 than 2-1 after 91mins :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78555 on: April 19, 2024, 06:07:40 pm »
Ousmane Diomande is a CERTAIN target for Liverpool and they share interest with Newcastle as they’re both front row for his signature.

[@JornalNoticias]

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78556 on: April 19, 2024, 06:33:49 pm »
I agree, we really shouldn't, particularly with our forwards. I think we need another forward in that will start every game. At whose expense, I'm not sure, but our already freshened forward line looks like it needs further refreshing. That absolutely should not be the case, yet here we are.
I don't think it needs further refreshing, just missing a bit of quality 1vs1 ability plus you can never have too many good attacking options

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #78557 on: April 19, 2024, 08:30:02 pm »

Maybe we've had enough of Konate's injury problems.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #78558 on: April 19, 2024, 10:21:35 pm »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #78559 on: April 19, 2024, 10:31:50 pm »

I think he’s a t’riffic player, but - and this is bordering on xenophobic - I really don’t want to see us sign a Brazilian older than the age of 25. Is there another nationality out there where the players seem to fall of a cliff almost overnight so frequently? Some of them well ahead of schedule, too.

We really should have signed him when he was in France, it was obvious how good he and Paqueta were, maybe they failed the no dickheads policy, who knows, but it’s scandalous we let them go lower down the league and stood firm and neglected the chance to rebuild when they were available.