Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3120161 times)

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #78800 on: April 25, 2024, 09:18:54 am »
I suspect Klopp would have got a tune out of Caicedo but it could genuinely be both. We dodged a bullet not getting Caicedo and the opportunity cost in getting Endo was too high. Albeit who we could actually have got isn't really clear.

I'm absolutely convinced Klopp would have got a tune out of him and I'm also convinced he'll end up being really good at Chelsea too.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78801 on: April 25, 2024, 09:23:02 am »
I'm absolutely convinced Klopp would have got a tune out of him and I'm also convinced he'll end up being really good at Chelsea too.

Not to have a go at Klopp, but we have dodged a bullet there. Look at the transfers since 2022, the vast majority have question marks over their heads. Its not been a good two years for transfers for us.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78802 on: April 25, 2024, 09:24:25 am »
Not to have a go at Klopp, but we have dodged a bullet there. Look at the transfers since 2022, the vast majority have question marks over their heads. Its not been a good two years for transfers for us.

Mac Allister and Szobo will end up being great buys (Mac is already, Szob has had a very dodgy second half of the season, but saw enough Aug-Dec not to be worried).

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78803 on: April 25, 2024, 09:26:34 am »
I guess if Slot prefers a double pivot, then Mac, Szob, Arnold and others like Curtis might be enough but again, I don't think that matches the quality City and Arsenal have in Rice and Rodri.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78804 on: April 25, 2024, 09:26:54 am »
Mac Allister and Szobo will end up being great buys (Mac is already, Szob has had a very dodgy second half of the season, but saw enough Aug-Dec not to be worried).

Yes but since 2022 we have signed Nunez, Carvalho, Ramsey, Gakpo, Szobozslai, Endo, Mac Allister and Gravenberch. Its not a stellar set of signings there and I am still happy we never spent £100m plus on Caicedo.

We need a rethink and hopefully we can get back to getting top players in.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78805 on: April 25, 2024, 09:27:30 am »
Trent is our only world class player under 30. We let him go then we are fucking idiots.

If he wants to go

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78806 on: April 25, 2024, 09:29:41 am »
Yes but since 2022 we have signed Nunez, Carvalho, Ramsey, Gakpo, Szobozslai, Endo, Mac Allister and Gravenberch. Its not a stellar set of signings there and I am still happy we never spent £100m plus on Caicedo.

We need a rethink and hopefully we can get back to getting top players in.

Yeah Gravenberch is another headache. No idea where he fits into a 4-2-3-1.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78807 on: April 25, 2024, 09:31:29 am »
The longer the season has gone on, the high-fiving over "dodging a bullet" in Caicedo and getting in bargain Endo has bitten us in the arse. The contrast between Rice, Rodri and Endo in arguably the most important position of the pitch sums up why we finish 3rd in this league. Nothing against Endo, fair play to him. He has plugged a gap, but if we've got a budget, I'd be throwing the biggest portion of it on an athletic 6.
But Endo has been better than Caicedo who's been a waste of money.

Endo has done very well but there's scope for improvement.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78808 on: April 25, 2024, 09:42:16 am »
Caicedo would have been great here, so would have been Enzo. I think midfield is really the least of Chelsea’s problems, they’ve dominated big teams possession wise a couple times this season, their problem lies in the two boxes, they don’t have a reliable striker and their defence and keeper is shakey.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #78809 on: April 25, 2024, 09:48:22 am »
Caicedo probably is what he is to be honest - a very athletic CM who’s decent defensively without being elite and pretty limited on the ball …. He’s a good solid PL CM.. there’s nothing really special about him apart from the price tag - if we wanted to buy the equivalent this summer we could pretty easily

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78810 on: April 25, 2024, 09:51:23 am »
Caicedo would have been great here, so would have been Enzo. I think midfield is really the least of Chelsea’s problems, they’ve dominated big teams possession wise a couple times this season, their problem lies in the two boxes, they don’t have a reliable striker and their defence and keeper is shakey.

I really like Enzo despite the howls of abuse i get for that on the Chelsea thread. But Caicedo was never a £100m player and I said at the time that I was happy we didnt get him. We need a rethink of our transfer business and what we want out of the players.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78811 on: April 25, 2024, 09:55:26 am »
If Arne Slot is our next manager, he’ll have a very exciting DM to work with and develop in Bajcetic. Having him fit and available for pre-season would be huge, he has the talent to become a very important player for us going forward.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #78812 on: April 25, 2024, 09:58:21 am »
If Arne Slot is our next manager, he’ll have a very exciting DM to work with and develop in Bajcetic. Having him fit and available for pre-season would be huge, he has the talent to become a very important player for us going forward.

Yeah but who the fuck knows … he’s missed over 12 months of football at a critical age
He could still be anything but you can’t plan round him being a first xi player next season

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78813 on: April 25, 2024, 10:01:09 am »
Caicedo probably is what he is to be honest - a very athletic CM who’s decent defensively without being elite and pretty limited on the ball …. He’s a good solid PL CM.. there’s nothing really special about him apart from the price tag - if we wanted to buy the equivalent this summer we could pretty easily

Question is can we get a real top quality DM this summer. There wasn't many options last year of real quality other than Rice who was always Arsenal bound.

Question also has to be asked of our young midfielders - is it worth considering taking a good profit on one of them? I like them all but are they all needed?

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78814 on: April 25, 2024, 10:04:02 am »
Get me Arne and 5 new gods!

Funny how quick you can go from thinking everything is nearly fine to everything is broken but obviously it'll be somewhere in between as always. Every area apart from keeper needs something though so hopefully we're working on it, might as well go all out and sort things now while we're changing manager rather than waiting and waiting then having another excuse for being not good enough a year or two down the line.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78815 on: April 25, 2024, 10:06:13 am »
Slot has to bring Mats Wieffer with him doesn't he if we need a 6.

https://youtu.be/_WNWZy9sLHk?si=zJKYm6S21acxG51_
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78816 on: April 25, 2024, 10:07:40 am »
They're not £100m players though and given people worry about athleticism in our side not sure Enzo would help there. I'd say the list of potential midfielders who are with 100m+ is tiny. You've really got be either elite at goalscoring, creating chances or preventing them to justify it. Being a good passer who can get the ball from a to b but not effect either end goalscoring wise to a high level is just not worth it.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78817 on: April 25, 2024, 10:11:12 am »
They're not £100m players though and given people worry about athleticism in our side not sure Enzo would help there. I'd say the list of potential midfielders who are with 100m+ is tiny. You've really got be either elite at goalscoring, creating chances or preventing them to justify it. Being a good passer who can get the ball from a to b but not effect either end goalscoring wise to a high level is just not worth it.

Definitely not 100m players. I think Rodri is the only midfielder who could possibly justify that type of fee, Bellingham also if we were to consider him a midfielder.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78818 on: April 25, 2024, 10:13:08 am »
Enzo is a defensive liability and Caicedo is very average on the ball.

Would have been very disappointed if we'd paid £100m for that.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78819 on: April 25, 2024, 10:17:36 am »
Definitely not 100m players. I think Rodri is the only midfielder who could possibly justify that type of fee, Bellingham also if we were to consider him a midfielder.
I'd have sai de Bruyne over Rodri over the last few years. Would be worried about Rodri being a massive psoitve defensively in our system for example where as de Bruyne is just guaranteed goals and assists

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78820 on: April 25, 2024, 10:19:53 am »
I'd have sai de Bruyne over Rodri over the last few years. Would be worried about Rodri being a massive psoitve defensively in our system for example where as de Bruyne is just guaranteed goals and assists

Agree generally but the Rodri of this year has 7 goals and 7 assists in the league while being great defensively, I think he is undoubtedly the best midfielder in the world at this point.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #78821 on: April 25, 2024, 10:26:58 am »
I've usually been of the view to avoid the Premier League and scout from abroad as there's better value (given we rarely have a competitive budget).

I'd try and stick with the Premier League this summer unless there's a sure thing (Alisson) or great value with a particular player abroad (Fabinho, Firmino).

There's too many variables in whether a player can adapt to the league and how quickly; and off the pitch adapt to the UK. That was the bonus with Mac Allister. Mane, Robertson, Wijnaldum etc you knew could hack it. Even Salah at least had the experience of the PL. Particularly players from Germany, it's so much more intense, especially with the schedule. The flip side of that is signing a player lower down the league and can he make the step up to Liverpool and fit in the side, but that's where your scouting comes in (Downing/Carroll/Benteke were not scouted properly).

You can spend 85 million on Nunez but you don't know how he'll adapt to the league. 60 million on Dom, but being used to Germany will he be ready for a marathon season in the Premier League?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:29:35 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78822 on: April 25, 2024, 10:37:57 am »
You’re still on this? He’s not a wide forward in our system. Which means he’s an 8. 8s are our attacking midfielders in many ways and his role never changed this season - he’s been playing as our right sided 8 basically all season. If he can only play in a very particular role (which doesn’t exist in any top team in England btw) he’s not going to cut it. So he needs to learn to be an 8.

Not talking about our system anymore. Slot plays with a 10. Coolie thinks he can't play a 10 and I disagreed. Szobo will never play right 8 again once Klopp leaves and I'm happy about it.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78823 on: April 25, 2024, 10:42:28 am »
I've usually been of the view to avoid the Premier League and scout from abroad as there's better value (given we rarely have a competitive budget).

I'd try and stick with the Premier League this summer unless there's a sure thing (Alisson) or great value with a particular player abroad (Fabinho, Firmino).

There's too many variables in whether a player can adapt to the league and how quickly; and off the pitch adapt to the UK. That was the bonus with Mac Allister. Mane, Robertson, Wijnaldum etc you knew could hack it. Even Salah at least had the experience of the PL. Particularly players from Germany, it's so much more intense, especially with the schedule. The flip side of that is signing a player lower down the league and can he make the step up to Liverpool and fit in the side, but that's where your scouting comes in (Downing/Carroll/Benteke were not scouted properly).

You can spend 85 million on Nunez but you don't know how he'll adapt to the league. 60 million on Dom, but being used to Germany will he be ready for a marathon season in the Premier League?

I would say Olise should be one we go for. Maybe someone like Colwill for defence, and Ait-Nouri.

I think for a 9 and a DM though we should probably look elsewhere - I don't think we can get a decent DM here and a 9 would be too expensive or not available for us

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78824 on: April 25, 2024, 10:42:34 am »
Sticking to Prem signings is probably a good idea unless you can guarantee the real thing to take us forward from abroad. All of a sudden it just feels like we need a bit more than what we did a couple of months ago. To some it's knee jerk but if we're to compete straight away under a new manager who isn't Klopp then I really feel we need quite a bit.

Definitely sort out this summer: Left back, defensive mid, left winger, right winger.

Really I think we could do with more than that. Another centre half, another midfielder to go alongside Alexis, arguably another striker given Jotas fitness and Nunez looking like he'll struggle to deliver at the top level when it matters.

Honestly, they'd better give him some money to set the new era out on a strong note. If they buy a group of players who are all in that vein of maybe great in a few years it won't be good enough and serious interest will be lost in the side. Go out and buy the top fucking quality, they don't all need to cost 100 million, that's why you've got Michael Edwards there. Find the next Salah, the next Robertson who can contribute straight away at the highest level.

It should be fundable anyway given I think this will probably be the highest selling summer in a while. If he makes the decision that its best to move Salah on I hope the Saudis are still interested. Get Thiago's wages gone, move the likes of Kelleher and Tsimikas on, Diaz can go if he fancies etc. If all of those are to go on top of the revenues the club are pulling in there should be plenty of money, they can get to fuck if not.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78825 on: April 25, 2024, 10:48:31 am »
It would cost a lot, but I wonder if Leon Bailey or Moussa Diaby are good options to buy. Quick, direct, offer goal scoring threats

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78826 on: April 25, 2024, 10:52:32 am »
It would cost a lot, but I wonder if Leon Bailey or Moussa Diaby are good options to buy. Quick, direct, offer goal scoring threats

We need to aim better and higher now.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78827 on: April 25, 2024, 10:53:38 am »

Not sure either would really give us the numbers we require in front of goal but who knows, the same would have been said a thousand times on Salah and Mane.

Is the defensive midfielder market any different than it was this time a year ago? Pickings seemed slim then and it may be no different now. If the new manager plays 4231 what do we even need to go along side Alexis, and does Szoboszlai play number 10?

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78828 on: April 25, 2024, 10:55:28 am »
Give us some names. I'm bored and fancy some YouTube scouting  :)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78829 on: April 25, 2024, 10:55:47 am »
We need to aim better and higher now.

I mean in terms of in the prem who would that be? It would have been better if I mentioned that but I was working on the idea of buying in the prem as Form discussed above. guess we could offer stupid money for Cole Palmer.

Outside the league you can go for Kvara, throw big money at Musiala, try and change Wirtz's mind (not sure if the right profile though), or see if anyone from Real is biting with Mbappe coming in.

Maybe someone like Xavi Simmons but again I am not sure he is the right profile

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78830 on: April 25, 2024, 10:56:58 am »
think with edwards and ffp being enforced more we can get some PL players for not crazy prices
i assume we will look at clubs who need to sell Wolves,Villa maybe & a few mid table clubs

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78831 on: April 25, 2024, 10:59:43 am »
I think Kvaratshkelia is the stand out wide option. The crowd would absolutely adore him IMO as he was loved at Napoli last season. I think he has the flair of Diaz with a bit more end product which would have been lovely last night and many times over this season. Would be expensive but if Diaz fancies leaving should be more than doable, there's also the chance Salah is sold for quite big money given he's 32 and probably on the way down. Can probably re-assess Jota/Nunez/Gakpo a year down the line but I feel some top quality new wide men are needed now. The left hand side particularly needs an evolution IMO.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78832 on: April 25, 2024, 10:59:46 am »
I mean in terms of in the prem who would that be? It would have been better if I mentioned that but I was working on the idea of buying in the prem as Form discussed above. guess we could offer stupid money for Cole Palmer.

Outside the league you can go for Kvara, throw big money at Musiala, try and change Wirtz's mind (not sure if the right profile though), or see if anyone from Real is biting with Mbappe coming in.

Maybe someone like Xavi Simmons but again I am not sure he is the right profile

We need to find them if those players we cant get. There are loads of good footballers out there. All this investment in data and nerds, make it happen.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78833 on: April 25, 2024, 11:01:54 am »
Not sure either would really give us the numbers we require in front of goal but who knows, the same would have been said a thousand times on Salah and Mane.

Is the defensive midfielder market any different than it was this time a year ago? Pickings seemed slim then and it may be no different now. If the new manager plays 4231 what do we even need to go along side Alexis, and does Szoboszlai play number 10?

I'm just thinking of names of wide a players in the league.

Looking at the numbers, for non strikers the best are Palmer, Salah, Bowen, Saka, Foden, then Bailey.

I would say from them only Bowen is the one gettable better than Bailey, and he would cost a lot for someone turning 28 this year, doesn't seem the right profile

There's Summerville but the Championship tax is just as much a concern as the Bundesliga one.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78834 on: April 25, 2024, 11:02:32 am »
i wonder could Semenyo at Bournemouth be a bit of a left field target.
Impressive player only 24 Hughes already bought him too.

Probably not good enough right now though

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78835 on: April 25, 2024, 11:06:18 am »
We need to find them if those players we cant get. There are loads of good footballers out there. All this investment in data and nerds, make it happen.

No we can absolutely get them, I was working more on the hypothetical of within the prem.

Outside the prem yeah there are options. I mentioned a list of them in my very comment (Kvara, Musiala, Wirtz, Xabi Simmons, is a Real or Barca player going to be available, maybe someone like Sane)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78836 on: April 25, 2024, 11:09:18 am »
Thinking more on possible 9's and as someone who doesn't watch Serie A - what is Vlahovic like as a player? Would be be an option for our attack?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78837 on: April 25, 2024, 11:10:29 am »
Thinking more on possible 9's and as someone who doesn't watch Serie A - what is Vlahovic like as a player? Would be be an option for our attack?

No ive seen him play and not for us.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78838 on: April 25, 2024, 11:10:39 am »
Ederson at Atalanta impressed me other week, and his stats look favourable for a powerful midfield option.

Hard to scout I imagine, as Atalanta’s system is a bit batshit.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78839 on: April 25, 2024, 11:21:35 am »
We’re a bit soft. Our midfield is too easy to play through and our defence has been a shambles as well. At the very minimum we need an elite physically dominant 6 and a CB this summer.