Author Topic: League Cup draw  (Read 6474 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: League Cup draw
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2021, 08:36:49 am »
If you're going to draw a Premier League team then Norwich is the one you'd want.  They're not very good and they're unlikely to leave us with a load of injuries.

They also played their fringe players against Bournemouth (whose fringe players they beat 6-0!) so I'd expect it will be mix-and-match teams all around.  We should back our squad to be better than theirs!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »
The competition has a major flaw by having two-semi's. And although I disagree a bit, I do understand some peoples concerns about mid-week games between big league games being a disruption to prep and potential injury.
But if anyone has been to both a winning and losing final they wouldn't say it's stupid - far, far from it.
King Kenny doesn't think it's stupid.

Did they go to just the one game for the semis last season?  I have some recollection they did to help with the condensed fixtures.

Anyway, they should stick with it (or start doing so). It dosen’t matter that one team has home advantage, that’s the luck of the draw. Other leagues’ domestic cups have this - it’s perfectly normal. No reason at all for the league cup to have 2 legged semi finals now.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2021, 01:58:32 pm »
Agree, its a fucking shite attitude. We need to win things, I want us to win as many as we can. Kenny was the last manager to win a domestic cup, we've not won the FA Cup in 15 years, I'd love this lot to win a cup at Wembley.

Aye. Our cup drought is not a fair reflection of our team or squad quality and says everything about the monstrosity down the East Lancs that's been gobbling up domestic trophies like some bloated, cup gobbling monster.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2021, 03:24:18 pm »
Some of the best times Ive had as a Red was winning the league cup... beating Blues ,Mancs etc..weekends in London and Cardiff.....early rounds are a drag tbf...always was.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2021, 03:39:50 pm »
Play the b team. We have a small squad and it’s a fkn long season if we want to go win the league and challenge for the European cup.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2021, 03:57:41 pm »
Some of the best times Ive had as a Red was winning the league cup... beating Blues ,Mancs etc..weekends in London and Cardiff.....early rounds are a drag tbf...always was.

Exactly and we've been a frequent(ish) trophy winning club for over 50 years now. I'm constantly battling with the either down with the kids or I must be appear hard attitudes saying the cups are shite.
The supporters are shite  ;D
As I said, if you haven't attended both a winning and losing cup final you shouldn't be allowed a strong opinion :)

Online number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2021, 04:05:49 pm »
Exactly and we've been a frequent(ish) trophy winning club for over 50 years now. I'm constantly battling with the either down with the kids or I must be appear hard attitudes saying the cups are shite.
The supporters are shite  ;D
As I said, if you haven't attended both a winning and losing cup final you shouldn't be allowed a strong opinion :)

It's not just the game it's the whole thing - travelling down with the anticipation growing, in the alehouse singing and then the tube to the ground with the crammed coaches rattling with chants and funny comments. I remember Joey Barton being on the tube one year wearing huge sunglasses even though it was overcast. Then the trip home, either elation and more ale or a determiation to win it next year and more ale.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2021, 05:22:47 pm »
You can't do the treble if you don't pick up a domestic cup!

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2021, 07:03:25 pm »
Anyone still want us to play a full team in this competition. We have Milan/Atlectico/Porto in between it all.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2021, 07:22:24 pm »
Anyone still want us to play a full team in this competition. We have Milan/Atlectico/Porto in between it all.
I don’t think anyone has suggested we play a full team. We’ve got a great squad and players who’ll need minutes that are more than capable of getting through the early rounds if the draw is unusually kind to us. As long as we don’t suffer too many injuries I think we’ll be able to make a balanced attempt to win every competition we’re entered in
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2021, 07:37:07 pm »
I think what people want in the FA Cup and League Cup is to see a team capable of beating the given opposition. We know we're going to play our strongest sides in the league and Champions League.

I hope we see a good team against Norwich. I'm not expecting or particularly wanting to see Van Dijk and Salah play, I don't even expect them to travel. I do expect to see a team capable of beating them, though. If we were playing a league one or league two side at home, we've proven before we can beat them with academy age lads, alas we aren't playing them though, we're playing a prem side. I'd be happy to see some youth players out there, someone like Kaide Gordon perhaps, but it's about finding the balance to do the important thing, which is winning the game. I think squad players ala Minamino, Oxlade Chamberlain, Jones, Tsimikas etc play. It wouldn't be fair to see too many kids playing together without that more experienced spine in the team, and it certainly wouldn't be fair on people travelling hours to a night match at Norwich.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2021, 10:03:20 am »
With no cannon fodder in our CL group, it's now unlikely that this will be anything other than a shadow team in need or minutes. That said, it should still be fairly strong, injuries permitting. I doubt more than 1 or two youngsters will get a chance to play.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2021, 10:59:36 am »

That's not going to happen. Look at the team we've played in the last 3 seasons       . 

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2021, 03:19:09 pm »
Live on Sky, Tuesday 21st at 7.45pm
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2021, 03:44:31 pm »
Live on Sky, Tuesday 21st at 7.45pm

We are never off the TV. Very rare when we aren’t. Most popular club in the country.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2021, 04:18:41 pm »
The approach from Klopp has been pretty consistent. Leave the current starting 11 out and pick the strongest side with what's left. Don't see he would change now.