Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 497512 times)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #600 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:46 pm »
Its possible to see spearing as being at Lucas' level without hating Lucas. Try to think logically, not all mentions of Lucas are meant to be a dig at him.

It's only possible to see Spearing at the same level as Lucas if you've not got a clue.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: March 21, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »
How are they at the same level, though?

One is vital to the way we play; he dictates tempo, he keeps the ball moving, he is always available for a pass - he even has a turn of pace if needs be.

The other can put a foot in now and again, can clip a ball to the full back and rarely offers anything going forward.

The fact Spearing's best match of his Liverpool career before yesterday came in the 10 minute cameo against Real Madrid says it all.

You see my point is as far as i'm concerned the first bit of your post could be describing spearing. IN MY OPINION.

Quantatively when trying to get a definitive answer to who is the better player people tend to go for appearances, which to me seems to be a nonsense, it proves nothing, ohter than Rafa liked Lucas.

Qualatively, if anything i feel Spearing lifts the tempo a bit, and his passing is as good as Lucas's surely, or i am blind.

What i dont understand is on what basis, have people who are saying that Spearing is shit and not good enough, based that opinion on, when has he been shit, in his 3-4 starts for Liverpool. When, cause it always seems to me that after he has played, there is a stream of "dont fancy Spearing but have to say he played well today" type posts. Granted he wasnt great first game on the right against Braga, but who was?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »
It's only possible to see Spearing at the same level as Lucas if you've not got a clue.

Come on Phil, i said you didnt have a clue fella, get your own material.

WWW.negativeoneliners.cock

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: March 21, 2011, 02:28:26 pm »
How was his shot better than Suarez's?

And Lucas often makes the 'pass of the match' if such a thing exists. How does one define the 'pass of the match' anyway?

It says something that it has taken him so many years to finally have this game which gives some sort of credibility (sic) to the argument for those who inexplicably want Lucas out of the side.

Well fair enough about the Suarez shot, don't know why I didn't count that when I've watched it another 10 times today, don't think it's sunk in yet I'll have to watch it some more :).  But yeah besides from that his effort was the best over the course of the match unless I'm missing anything else, I thought it was a fantastic strike.  And that pass he played was sublime, better than any others I remember seeing.  Does that really bother you?

I'm just making the point it is not outrageous to think he could compete for a starting spot.  I don't know about anyone else but I don't 'inexplicably want Lucas out of the side'.  I don't think it was really necessary to go to that extreme.  It's just the sort of thing that ruins any constructive discussion.

For the record I think Lucas is the better player and I don't think that will change.  However I don't think he is untouchable and if another player - be it Spearing or anyone else - does enough to get a chance in his place then so be it.

Is that ok or do you want me to say Lucas is the worst Brazilian I've ever seen and will never make the grade at Liverpool?  Or perhaps something else you can file away in the 'inexplicable' folder.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: March 21, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »
You see my point is as far as i'm concerned the first bit of your post could be describing spearing. IN MY OPINION.

Quantatively when trying to get a definitive answer to who is the better player people tend to go for appearances, which to me seems to be a nonsense, it proves nothing, ohter than Rafa liked Lucas.

Qualatively, if anything i feel Spearing lifts the tempo a bit, and his passing is as good as Lucas's surely, or i am blind.

What i dont understand is on what basis, have people who are saying that Spearing is shit and not good enough, based that opinion on, when has he been shit, in his 3-4 starts for Liverpool. When, cause it always seems to me that after he has played, there is a stream of "dont fancy Spearing but have to say he played well today" type posts. Granted he wasnt great first game on the right against Braga, but who was?

In my opinion, the sky is pink. Doesn't mean it's anywhere near the truth though, does it?

I've just told you why Lucas is better. If you want me to provide 800 words on it, I can. I've got little else on at work today.

You are blind. Spearing's passing is nowhere near as good as Lucas' passing. He loves the old clip to the full back, granted; but have a look at Lucas and what the passes actually provide for the team. They're intelligent, they're smart and they can dictate the way we play. Just because they're not raking balls doesn't mean they're bereft of any use.

I'm basing my Spearing opinion on countless reserve appearances. I'm basing my Spearing opinion on his time at Leicester, when he hardly stood out and consequently was dropped to the substitute bench. I'm basing it on him getting overrun by Leeds at Elland Road last season. I'm basing on him being the only Liverpool central midfielder in history not to win a tackle in this corresponding fixture last season.

You're basing it on a cameo against Real Madrid where he lobbed the ball in the air a few times and a good game yesterday. Good. If he produces it for the rest of the season, my opinion may change. I doubt he'll be given the chance because he's not good enough.

Spearing will be at Tranmere, Lucas will be at the Maracana. Fact.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:30 pm »

I think I can definitively say that Reina is a better player than Spearing.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »
Well fair enough about the Suarez shot, don't know why I didn't count that when I've watched it another 10 times today, don't think it's sunk in yet I'll have to watch it some more :).  But yeah besides from that his effort was the best over the course of the match unless I'm missing anything else, I thought it was a fantastic strike.  And that pass he played was sublime, better than any others I remember seeing.  Does that really bother you?

I'm just making the point it is not outrageous to think he could compete for a starting spot.  I don't know about anyone else but I don't 'inexplicably want Lucas out of the side'.  I don't think it was really necessary to go to that extreme.  It's just the sort of thing that ruins any constructive discussion.

For the record I think Lucas is the better player and I don't think that will change.  However I don't think he is untouchable and if another player - be it Spearing or anyone else - does enough to get a chance in his place then so be it.

Is that ok or do you want me to say Lucas is the worst Brazilian I've ever seen and will never make the grade at Liverpool?  Or perhaps something else you can file away in the 'inexplicable' folder.

Thats an excellent post Carling. I'm afraid you are copping it for me saying i thought that Jay was at Lucas' level. It seems to have been taken as a massive spit in the face of Lucas, which it wasnt meant to be. There are a few on here that defend Lucas with the same ferocity as some who maligned him as shit 2 years ago. The truth is never at either end of these extremes of course. It seems a shame that in defending Lucas they are now denegrating poor little jay.But hey ho, sometimes people just cant see how hypocritical they are being.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »
In my opinion, the sky is pink. Doesn't mean it's anywhere near the truth though, does it?

I've just told you why Lucas is better. If you want me to provide 800 words on it, I can. I've got little else on at work today.

You are blind. Spearing's passing is nowhere near as good as Lucas' passing. He loves the old clip to the full back, granted; but have a look at Lucas and what the passes actually provide for the team. They're intelligent, they're smart and they can dictate the way we play. Just because they're not raking balls doesn't mean they're bereft of any use.

I'm basing my Spearing opinion on countless reserve appearances. I'm basing my Spearing opinion on his time at Leicester, when he hardly stood out and consequently was dropped to the substitute bench. I'm basing it on him getting overrun by Leeds at Elland Road last season. I'm basing on him being the only Liverpool central midfielder in history not to win a tackle in this corresponding fixture last season.

You're basing it on a cameo against Real Madrid where he lobbed the ball in the air a few times and a good game yesterday. Good. If he produces it for the rest of the season, my opinion may change. I doubt he'll be given the chance because he's not good enough.

There's an even better reason why Spearing isn't comparable to Lucas. Exiledinyorkshire still hasn't answered my question. How well does Spearing cover? He's yabbered about all sorts of things, but not touched on this utterly crucial point.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:27 pm »
Come on Phil, i said you didnt have a clue fella, get your own material.

WWW.negativeoneliners.cock

What are you on about?

I'm negative because I don't think Jay Spearing is that great?

Jay Spearing, one good game for Liverpool, 0 caps for England U21's. Better than a player who is important to the way Liverpool play and starts for Brazil.

Are you not grasping why I'm saying this is ridiculous?

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »

What are you on about? Why all the questions?

It bothers me when people make football so simplistic. 'Best pass of the match' - what does that mean? Sometimes the best pass can be a 5 yard pass which frees up space all across the pitch. His pass was a very good one to Suarez, although Suarez's movement was also a contributing factor. Pepe Reina's to Suarez leading to Mensah's sending off was better. Howzat?

It is outrageous to say he's capable of a starting place. He's up against Steven Gerrard, Raul Meireles, Lucas Leiva, Christian Poulsen and Jonjo Shelvey, for starters. He's competing with Poulsen for 4th choice central midfielder and that's simply because our squad is in such a state right now. In fact, if I had my way, I'd be fucking Spearing off and giving Coady the experience on the bench - a player who truly does have what it takes to make it here.

You can say what you like about Lucas. I'm saying Spearing isn't good enough.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
Thats an excellent post Carling. I'm afraid you are copping it for me saying i thought that Jay was at Lucas' level. It seems to have been taken as a massive spit in the face of Lucas, which it wasnt meant to be. There are a few on here that defend Lucas with the same ferocity as some who maligned him as shit 2 years ago. The truth is never at either end of these extremes of course. It seems a shame that in defending Lucas they are now denegrating poor little jay.But hey ho, sometimes people just cant see how hypocritical they are being.

Saying Jay Spearing is at Lucas' level is a spit in Lucas' eye - it'd be a spit in most Premier League players' eyes.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:59 pm »
It seems a shame that in defending Lucas they are now denegrating poor little jay.But hey ho, sometimes people just cant see how hypocritical they are being.
"Poor little Jay"? Fuck's sake have a word with yourself. Any chance you're related to the lad? No other explanation.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »
Fuckinghell, Lucas is light-years ahead of Spearing both now and in potential
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »

It's nothing to do with spitting in the face of Lucas. It's nothing to do with defending Lucas.

It's everything to do with just being completely and utterly wide of the mark.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

Nothing you've said here is in any way an argument for how Spearing is comparable to Lucas, or challenging him. Pass of the match, whatever that means, shots taken, all that is no argument at all.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: March 21, 2011, 02:40:19 pm »
It's nothing to do with spitting in the face of Lucas. It's nothing to do with defending Lucas.

It's everything to do with just being completely and utterly wide of the mark.

It's everything to do with how Reina is a much better player than Spearing.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:15 pm »
Nothing you've said here is in any way an argument for how Spearing is comparable to Lucas, or challenging him. Pass of the match, whatever that means, shots taken, all that is no argument at all.

There is no argument so he cried and then wrote that. Perfectly understandable. Leave Carling alone.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »
It's everything to do with how Reina is a much better player than Spearing.

Why do you keep saying this? If it's some attempt at a joke I don't get it.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:32 pm »
I kinda love seeing so many Lucas fans outright bashing on Spearing.  The smell of hypocrisy is in the air.

All that talk about people maturing at different rates..all the excuses made for poor or anonymous performances, but spearing gets a sniff at his spot (and his spot is the only one possible) and it's all out war.

Fact is the lad played great.  Give him credit where it's due, and leave Lucas out of the equation.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: March 21, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »
I kinda love seeing so many Lucas fans outright bashing on Spearing.  The smell of hypocrisy is in the air.

All that talk about people maturing at different rates..all the excuses made for poor or anonymous performances, but spearing gets a sniff at his spot (and his spot is the only one possible) and it's all out war.

Fact is the lad played great.  Give him credit where it's due, and leave Lucas out of the equation.

It's not being about fans or either/or. It's about challenging someone who states one player is as good as the other. If someone argued Jack Hobbs (no longer with us, granted) was better than Martin Skrtel, you'd have to take issue with that too.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:20 pm »
There is no argument so he cried and then wrote that. Perfectly understandable. Leave Carling alone.

I like carling. Exiledinyorkshire is a lost cause because he won't see the point even if it wrote itself with highlighters and jumped up and down in front of him. But I'm trying to challenge carling by giving him some provocative arguments. We may not agree on a conclusion even after this. But carling, unlike exiledinyorkshire, will understand my point.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »

The colour of the sky isnt a qualalative issue its a quantifiable issue, its either pink or t isnt, this is where you are becoming confused. I think you are taking what you think as being fact, while i fully accept that my opinion is just that, my opinion.

The point you make about Lucas passing is absolutely fine, you wont find me disagreeing with you, and theres another problem you seem to have, your having the argument with what you think i'm saying not with what i'm actually saying. I think Lucas is a good little player, nothing spectacular good at getting it and giving it, i like him although he is no malby or souness. But i also see the same things in jay. Why does that peak you so much.

I too watched nearly all the reserve games where Jay was capo, and kept me eye out for the leicster stint. I'm not basing much at all on the few first team games he has played. However, i can accept that you dont rate him, i can see even, that he isnt the greatest player on the planet. I can see what you are saying, why do you find it so hard to see where i'm coming from, whats your real agenda? is it that any mention of lucas or lucas bashing gets your heckles up? if so i can assure you i'm not digging the lad out. Or is it that you look at our beloved club and think, fucking hell a midfield where Spearing get in thats not the liverpool midfiled we should have? If thats the case then i also agree.....................just look at whats actually being said before you go off on one.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »
Didn't go the game but while watching it I spotted this tasty bird at the bar so I moves in, asked her she'd like to be spread all over her kitchen table and she, smiles, laughs and then gives me her number. Pass of the match that.

Then I says to me mate this lager is better than that guinness, he says you can't compare the two, they're both different types of drink, ye I sez, but lagers better than guinness, he sez, stop being a pleb and asks me what the bird said. He's right, guinness isn't lager so you can't compare them.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2011, 02:48:46 pm »

I'm not bashing Spearing though. I probably have more time for him than many. But I do think that the comparison of Spearing with Lucas is unfounded, and nothing to do with any quality talked about in the past day.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: March 21, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »
The colour of the sky isnt a qualalative issue its a quantifiable issue, its either pink or t isnt, this is where you are becoming confused. I think you are taking what you think as being fact, while i fully accept that my opinion is just that, my opinion.

The point you make about Lucas passing is absolutely fine, you wont find me disagreeing with you, and theres another problem you seem to have, your having the argument with what you think i'm saying not with what i'm actually saying. I think Lucas is a good little player, nothing spectacular good at getting it and giving it, i like him although he is no malby or souness. But i also see the same things in jay. Why does that peak you so much.

I too watched nearly all the reserve games where Jay was capo, and kept me eye out for the leicster stint. I'm not basing much at all on the few first team games he has played. However, i can accept that you dont rate him, i can see even, that he isnt the greatest player on the planet. I can see what you are saying, why do you find it so hard to see where i'm coming from, whats your real agenda? is it that any mention of lucas or lucas bashing gets your heckles up? if so i can assure you i'm not digging the lad out. Or is it that you look at our beloved club and think, fucking hell a midfield where Spearing get in thats not the liverpool midfiled we should have? If thats the case then i also agree.....................just look at whats actually being said before you go off on one.

No but whether Spearing is good is quantifiable. He's not very good. Are you in market research?

To be honest, if you'd made the outrageous statement Spearing was better than Meireles or Shelvey I'd take you up on it. Nothing to do with the recipient. I just find accepting Jay Spearing* as an option is accepting mediocrity.

*For Spearing, see a plethora of players on that squad list.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »
Spearing isn't in contention for Lucas's position, the lad can't tackle.  He's playing because Gerrard & Shelvey are out injured.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
Didn't go the game but while watching it I spotted this tasty bird at the bar so I moves in, asked her she'd like to be spread all over her kitchen table and she, smiles, laughs and then gives me her number. Pass of the match that.

Then I says to me mate this lager is better than that guinness, he says you can't compare the two, they're both different types of drink, ye I sez, but lagers better than guinness, he sez, stop being a pleb and asks me what the bird said. He's right, guinness isn't lager so you can't compare them.

CHOPPER gets the point.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Lindkvist

• Main Stander
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »
Although Spearing actually played well against Sunderland, I don't think we can't count on him being the next big star.

Offline Anthony Le Pongolle

• Main Stander
« Reply #628 on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »

This is a good point. Most of the people criticising Spearing now are the ones that were defending Lucas through thin and thin a few years ago. They seem to take it as a personal insult if you mention he didn't have a good game or that another player might be at his level. It's a shame that they can't support other players in the way they have with Lucas and give Jay a chance to prove himself at least.

Lucas is 2 years older than Spearing and look at how much he has improved in the last few seasons. Is it inconceivable to think that Jay might show similar levels of improvement?

I don't think anyone here is saying Lucas is a bad player. The way I see it Lucas is the better player overall but Jay had the better match yesterday. Sorry for offending anyone that thought otherwise...
In that case, I'd play Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. Spearing would get absolutely marmalised by Yaya Toure. At least Poulsen can kick him.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:35 pm »
Lucas is 2 years older than Spearing and look at how much he has improved in the last few seasons. Is it inconceivable to think that Jay might show similar levels of improvement?

I think it is. Lucas was a much better play than Spearing at his age and Shelvey already is too. There's a reason it's Shelvey who has been getting the appearances before his injury.

Can quote me on this if you want. Proper part-time gambler punt here. I'll offer anyone even money, £250, that Spearing is playing for a Championship team - or lower - by the start of 2013-2014.

• Main Stander
« Reply #630 on: March 21, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »
I think it is. Lucas was a much better play than Spearing at his age and Shelvey already is too. There's a reason it's Shelvey who has been getting the appearances before his injury.

Can quote me on this if you want. Proper part-time gambler punt here. I'll offer anyone even money, £250, that Spearing is playing for a Championship team - or lower - by the start of 2013-2014.

I'll admit that I too never really rated Spearing and always thought he'd end up as a Championship player. However, I am willing to change my opinion. He was good yesterday and if he continues like that I am hoping he can prove me and a lot of other people wrong. I don't see what's wrong with supporting a player while he's still wearing the Liverpool shirt...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:59:11 pm by Anthony Le Pongolle »
In that case, I'd play Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. Spearing would get absolutely marmalised by Yaya Toure. At least Poulsen can kick him.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #631 on: March 21, 2011, 02:58:08 pm »
Spearing done alright against the makems....he`s improved a bit this season. Is he as good as Lucas?, I wouldnt like to play him in the holding role against the mancs and chlesea to be frank he lacks the steel that Lucas has, he`s not as good in the air either. Jay is not poor...he`s just not good enough.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: March 21, 2011, 02:58:30 pm »
It is outrageous to say he's capable of a starting place. He's up against Steven Gerrard, Raul Meireles, Lucas Leiva, Christian Poulsen and Jonjo Shelvey, for starters. He's competing with Poulsen for 4th choice central midfielder and that's simply because our squad is in such a state right now. In fact, if I had my way, I'd be fucking Spearing off and giving Coady the experience on the bench - a player who truly does have what it takes to make it here.

You can say what you like about Lucas. I'm saying Spearing isn't good enough.

Ok great.  I'll think twice before having the temerity to suggest a player who played for Liverpool yesterday might be able to compete for a starting spot in any future games.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
I'll admit that I too never really rated Spearing and always thought he'd end up as a Championship player. However, I am willing to change my opinion. He was good yesterday and if he continues like that I am hoping he can prove me and a lot of other people wrong. I don't see what's wrong with supporting a player while he's still wearing the Liverpool shirt...

Support him in the ground? Yes.

Support him in a pub/on a forum? I'd rather have a discussion.

Bad argument that.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 21, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »
Ok great.  I'll think twice before having the temerity to suggest a player who played for Liverpool yesterday might be able to compete for a starting spot in any future games.

Thank you, especially when it's as ridiculous as Jay Spearing.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:25 pm »
Spearing done alright against the makems....he`s improved a bit this season. Is he as good as Lucas?, I wouldnt like to play him in the holding role against the mancs and chlesea to be frank he lacks the steel that Lucas has, he`s not as good in the air either. Jay is not poor...he`s just not good enough.

I'd like him to challenge Lucas though. It's the best chance he has of making himself a longer term Liverpool player.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:55 pm »
This is a good point. Most of the people criticising Spearing now are the ones that were defending Lucas through thin and thin a few years ago. They seem to take it as a personal insult if you mention he didn't have a good game or that another player might be at his level. It's a shame that they can't support other players in the way they have with Lucas and give Jay a chance to prove himself at least.

I don't think anyone here is saying Lucas is a bad player. The way I see it Lucas is the better player overall but Jay had the better match yesterday. Sorry for offending anyone that thought otherwise...

Brace yourself mate.

• Main Stander
« Reply #637 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »
Support him in the ground? Yes.

Support him in a pub/on a forum? I'd rather have a discussion.

Bad argument that.

Would you start him against Man City? No hidden agenda, just interested. If not then who would you put in?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #638 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »
I'd wager that at the moment he's in Armani or Versace or whatever else the lads are clad in these days. Thereby Making him fair game.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: March 21, 2011, 03:04:30 pm »

You were talking about the wrong starting spot though. I'd like him to challenge Lucas for a spot, but he can't. He can't even fill Lucas's spot as a last resort. Not yet.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011