Author Topic: Connection not private  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
Connection not private
« on: April 19, 2023, 01:21:09 am »
The last few months I've on occasions tried to access RAWK and have received the following warning prompt display:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.redandwhitekop.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I'm not sure if I receive this prompt when I log on from my android phone(on google) and I'm fairly certain I haven't received it when logging on from my desktop via firefox. It seems to happen when i log on from my tab(google chrome).
I normally just ignore the prompt and push on through anyway.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it something from my end that's making these  false prompts? And should I be cautious about anything or just ignore it? It only comes up once every week or so and I tend to log on several times a day( my password is set as always logged on).

* edit
I get the additional prompt message if I click on "advanced":
This server could not prove that it is www.redandwhitekop.com; its security certificate is not trusted by your device's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Proceed to www.redandwhitekop.com (unsafe)

I should also point out, this only ever happens to me when i log on to RAWK. Other sites seem to be fine.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:23:43 am by Doc Red »
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Connection not private
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 05:42:26 pm »
There's nothing up with the cert. As it's an invalid authority error, is the device fully up to date with updates for its OS/browser?

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 01:04:57 am »
There's nothing up with the cert. As it's an invalid authority error, is the device fully up to date with updates for its OS/browser?

Yes, it's updated to the latest update. I'm still getting the above message everytime i open up RAWK, even if I open it on a new tab.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 09:16:54 am »
What's the OS/browser versions?

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 03:20:09 pm »
What's the OS/browser versions?

Google chrome 112, using Galaxy tab S2, Nougat (android)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 08:45:56 pm »
Okay so, your OS is 6 years old and was last updated 3 years ago, and after doing some reading on how this works in chrome it uses certs from the OS to verify so I suspect it's that being old that is probably the issue, if you use firefox on the device then it should get round the issue.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/21/lets-encrypt-root-expiry/

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 05:44:49 pm »
Okay so, your OS is 6 years old and was last updated 3 years ago, and after doing some reading on how this works in chrome it uses certs from the OS to verify so I suspect it's that being old that is probably the issue, if you use firefox on the device then it should get round the issue.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/21/lets-encrypt-root-expiry/

I see! Will switch to firefox on my tab. Much appreciated,  Claire!