Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3480820 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44800 on: February 20, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »
Watched Hacksaw Ridge last night. Loved it, amazing battle scenes. And quite gory. Gibson loves his gory shots doesn't he?
The battle scenes were stunning.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44801 on: February 20, 2017, 06:48:26 pm »
Moonlight certainly wasn't average but I'd also argue it doesn't deserve some of the praise being heaped upon it.

Felt a bit light in the loafers and failed to deliver the heavy weight punches the early tone promised.

There have certainly been numerous better films in the last 12 months but that doesn't make it close to average.

The film is good but it is lacking somehow - for me there was no real connection to the characters - beyond the youngest portrayal by the excellent Alex Hibbert and the equally impressive Mahershala Ali (Juan) which had me thinking it was indeed going to live up to its rave reviews - alas, the film goes downhill after this very strong and moving opening third....and in particular the narrative leap of faith that takes place between the second and third acts, which severely tested the suspension of disbelief. The scores that the film has garnered on RT and Metacritic - 98% and 99% - seem unusually high to me and are quite misleading......but these days contemporary film critics seem more driven by social media opinion so I'm not overly surprised
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44802 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:49 pm »
The film is good but it is lacking somehow - for me there was no real connection to the characters - beyond the youngest portrayal by the excellent Alex Hibbert and the equally impressive Mahershala Ali (Juan) which had me thinking it was indeed going to live up to its rave reviews - alas, the film goes downhill after this very strong and moving opening third....and in particular the narrative leap of faith that takes place between the second and third acts, which severely tested the suspension of disbelief. The scores that the film has garnered on RT and Metacritic - 98% and 99% - seem unusually high to me and are quite misleading......but these days contemporary film critics seem more driven by social media opinion so I'm not overly surprised

Agree with almost all of that but moving away, rebuilding yourself "hard" from the ground up happens a fair bit. If you take the end of the second act as his "breaking bad" moment, it works.

I just think the disconnect between act 2 and 3 in terms of the time jump was too much.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44803 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:16 pm »
Just home from watching John Wick: Chapter 2.

Oh my word.  What a Fucking amazing, high octane, pulsating movie. Better than the first I'd say and one of the best action movies I've ever seen.  I'd go and watch it again tomorrow if I had chance.

Looks good, in fact it looks bloody great. Characters are interesting, the story is credible (in a world of organised Hit-Men) and even the script is good.

But what makes this movie incredible is the fight sequences and set pieces. Full on Martial arts action carried out to perfection and gun/knife/pencil play of the highest order.

Anyone who comes away saying they disliked this movie, either didn't read the synopsis or went to the cinema not having the slightest clue of its content or genre.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44804 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:35 pm »
The long lost first film by Jean Luc Godard has cropped up on youtube. Not sure how long it will last up there.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DzpFi0uBmzs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DzpFi0uBmzs</a>

very few have seen it... now, very few will see it.

ps... you have to click captions or something to get the subtitles going... they are there. Enjoy.

edit.. I managed to watch it earlier this morning with decent subtitles, and not this white background thing which is awful. Best to try variations or something.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:02:45 pm by Filler. »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44805 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:45 pm »
Watched Moana on Sunday. Whilst I was a bit distracted with cooking and doing the dishes I thought it was boss. Genuine Disney magic on show!

It's defo not for proper wee ones though....my mate took his 3 year old to the cinema...bawled her eyes out and they had to leave because it was too scary for her.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44806 on: February 21, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »

Oh my word.  What a Fucking amazing, high octane, pulsating movie. Better than the first I'd say and one of the best action movies I've ever seen.  I'd go and watch it again tomorrow if I had chance.

Looks good, in fact it looks bloody great. Characters are interesting, the story is credible (in a world of organised Hit-Men) and even the script is good.

But what makes this movie incredible is the fight sequences and set pieces. Full on Martial arts action carried out to perfection and gun/knife/pencil play of the highest order.

Anyone who comes away saying they disliked this movie, either didn't read the synopsis or went to the cinema not having the slightest clue of its content or genre.

Did you actually like the first one?

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #44807 on: February 21, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »

This is a great interview and gives an insight into the style of the cinematography.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2017/feb/16/keanu-reeves-i-dont-know-man-john-wick-is-fun-video-interview
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44808 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:18 pm »
Did you actually like the first one?

Yeah really enjoyed it DJ. Did you not rate it?

The second is on another level IMO though.

This is a great interview and gives an insight into the style of the cinematography.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2017/feb/16/keanu-reeves-i-dont-know-man-john-wick-is-fun-video-interview

Brilliant. Thanks for this. Very interesting

First thing I said to my lad when we got back in the car last night was. Wow that was like being immersed into a first person shooter.  Nice to see the director and Reeves discussing the FPS concept.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44809 on: February 22, 2017, 02:53:45 am »
Arrival was intriguing, confusing, unique and weird. Or it's just me

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44810 on: February 22, 2017, 10:47:50 am »
Just watched Hacksaw ridge. Extremely cheesy at points and the final section seems like a montage - but two of the battle scenes were insanely good. Pulsating stuff and worth it just for the action

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44811 on: February 22, 2017, 10:53:47 am »
Yeah really enjoyed it DJ. Did you not rate it?

I didnt to be honest no, found it a bit cheesy! might give the second one a go though, I am struggling for films at the minute.

Patriots day is a decent watch

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44812 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »
Watched Under the Shadow last night and have to say it was really bloody good. That's the 2nd Iranian horror film I've watched and both were boss. The other one, in case you were wondering, was A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night which has a fab soundtrack as well!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44813 on: February 22, 2017, 09:43:52 pm »
Anyone considering giving Man Down a go...don't...it's shite ;D :wave

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44814 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:52 pm »
Anyone considering giving Man Down a go...don't...it's shite ;D :wave

Thanks.
I actually planned to watch that tonight. :meh

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44815 on: February 23, 2017, 01:12:09 am »
premieres on Netflix on March 31 looks interesting

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O72-opeMThs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O72-opeMThs</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44816 on: February 23, 2017, 04:12:37 am »
I've watched Lion, Hidden Figures and Manchester by the Sea. All decent films, but Manchester By the Sea is a level above. Casey Affleck was brilliant in it!
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44817 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:13 am »
nah out of them Lion was loads better was kinda let down by MBTS mainly as a friend bigged it up and pushed so much to watch it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:26:40 am by JLStretton »
choose Life.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #44818 on: February 23, 2017, 08:01:30 am »

I enjoyed it too , time flew by watching it , I do actually though slightly prefer the first one.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44819 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:21 am »
I've watched Lion, Hidden Figures and Manchester by the Sea. All decent films, but Manchester By the Sea is a level above. Casey Affleck was brilliant in it!

He was indeed....stunning performance by the boy Affleck, if he doesn't get the Best Actor gong at the weekend it'll be a travesty, a sham and daylight fuckin robbery
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44820 on: February 23, 2017, 10:32:46 am »
Saw Lego Batman last night. Lots of fun.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44821 on: February 23, 2017, 12:51:47 pm »
nah out of them Lion was loads better was kinda let down by MBTS mainly as a friend bigged it up and pushed so much to watch it.
Lion surprised me with how good it was. Shed a few tears at the end, to boot.

Many have said it but I haven't seen a better film than the Handmaiden, in the past 12 months. That a vanilla film like La La Land is going to be treated like an all time classic is strange but then understandable.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #44822 on: February 23, 2017, 04:35:17 pm »
Lion surprised me with how good it was. Shed a few tears at the end, to boot.

Many have said it but I haven't seen a better film than the Handmaiden, in the past 12 months. That a vanilla film like La La Land is going to be treated like an all time classic is strange but then understandable.

Truly is going to be a Driving Miss Daisy moment, people will look back and cringe.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44823 on: February 23, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »
Truly is going to be a Driving Miss Daisy moment, people will look back and cringe.

nonsense, it's a terrific movie ...with the emphasis on the movie...its a pure cinematic experience, looks great, sounds great and manages to be both a classic homage and a contemporary Indie romance,,,,not an easy feat to pull off but it succeeds. Seen it twice and will quite happily watch it again.....hopefully after its cleaned up on Sunday night

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44824 on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »
Watched Moonlight and while it did fall short of the high expectations I had of it after reading the reviews, it's still a great film. It feels a bit like three short films sewn together with slightly diminishing returns as you move through to the end. Although, the diner scene is exquisite and for me the best scene in the film.

Also agree with the posters who mentioned the Wong Kar-wai influence.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #44825 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
Saw Lego Batman last night. Lots of fun.

Saw it as part of my half-term duties. A lot better than I anticipated.

Today's fillum was Great Wall. Full blooded hokum with little boring dialogue, no love scenes and thousands of lizardy monsters. Just what ten year olds want.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #44826 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:48 pm »
Just watched Hacksaw Ridge, wow! Such a brilliant, gripping & emotional film, thought Garfield was superb and definitely deserves his nomination. Definitely the best out of the oscar nominated films that I've seen so far. (Only seen Moonlight & Hell or High Water). 9/10

Now for Manchester by the Sea, been looking forward to this one for a while.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44827 on: February 23, 2017, 09:35:00 pm »
Such a brilliant, gripping & emotional film

One man's brilliant, gripping and emotional is another man's cheesy, predictable and preachy.
Also on the subject of Garfield, I spent the better part of the movie trying to decipher if he's portraying a slightly mentally challenged person. Still unsure about it.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44828 on: February 23, 2017, 09:41:52 pm »

I have to see La La Land again to see how it holds up on second viewing, but comparisons with Driving Miss Daisy are pretty unfair.

Driving Miss Daisy won ahead of classics like Born on the Fourth of July, and kept even bigger classics, Crimes and Misdemeanours and Do the Right Thing, from even being nominated. On the other hand, 2016 was a pretty ordinary film year. Whatever you think about La La Land, just about all the other nominees (yes, even Manchester by the Sea) have their share of flaws as well.

Edit: better movies than Driving Miss Daisy in 1989:

Born on the Fourth of July
Field of Dreams
My Left Foot
Crimes and Misdemeanours
Do the Right Thing
Cinema Paradiso
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Say Anything
Drugstore Cowboy
The Fabulous Baker Boys

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:46:39 pm by Redcap »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44829 on: February 23, 2017, 10:02:21 pm »
I have to see La La Land again to see how it holds up on second viewing, but comparisons with Driving Miss Daisy are pretty unfair.

Driving Miss Daisy won ahead of classics like Born on the Fourth of July, and kept even bigger classics, Crimes and Misdemeanours and Do the Right Thing, from even being nominated. On the other hand, 2016 was a pretty ordinary film year. Whatever you think about La La Land, just about all the other nominees (yes, even Manchester by the Sea) have their share of flaws as well.

Field of Dreams
My Left Foot
Crimes and Misdemeanours
Do the Right Thing
Cinema Paradiso
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Say Anything
Drugstore Cowboy
The Fabulous Baker Boys

It's kind of embarrassing that I haven't seen any of those films listed except Say Anything.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44830 on: February 23, 2017, 10:07:42 pm »
Do The Right Thing is undeniably a classic. Criminal that it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44831 on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:48 pm »
Just watched Hacksaw Ridge, wow! Such a brilliant, gripping & emotional film, thought Garfield was superb and definitely deserves his nomination. Definitely the best out of the oscar nominated films that I've seen so far. (Only seen Moonlight & Hell or High Water). 9/10

Now for Manchester by the Sea, been looking forward to this one for a while.

9/10? You've got to be kidding mate?I'd give it a 3 at a push, and that's only because it got me interested enough to read about what actually happened. Garfield being in it meant it was never scoring higher than 7. Vince vaughan lost it 2 points, because he was awful at that role. And the stupid fucking love story with the completely unbelieveable relationship lost it another 2.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44832 on: February 23, 2017, 11:42:16 pm »
It's kind of embarrassing that I haven't seen any of those films listed except Say Anything.

If you only watch one more, make sure it's Cinema Paradiso.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #44833 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:22 am »
9/10? You've got to be kidding mate?I'd give it a 3 at a push, and that's only because it got me interested enough to read about what actually happened. Garfield being in it meant it was never scoring higher than 7. Vince vaughan lost it 2 points, because he was awful at that role. And the stupid fucking love story with the completely unbelieveable relationship lost it another 2.

I was high when I watched it  ;D
Nonetheless I enjoyed the hell out of it, the battle scenes were both immense & terrifying. I'll give it a re-watch when its released on blu ray.

Just got done with Manchester by the Sea, not bad at all but with all the praise it has received it was always going to be hard to live up to expectations. Nice bits of humour mixed in with very depressing scenes. Casey was good but I still haven't seen Fences so can't compare his performance with Denzel.  8/10

Was going to round the night of with a feel good film, settled for Nocturnal Animals instead :D

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44834 on: February 24, 2017, 03:57:31 am »
Why is every fucking war movie an automatic 8 or 9 out of 10 for people?
Hacksaw wasn't terrible but it's a joke that it's rated so highly.
I agree about the casting being awful & at times terribly cheesy like i was watching an afternoon school movie for teenage girls.
Lion was far more enjoyable & that's with 10 minutes of the film watching the guy fiddling away on google earth.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:00:20 am by Livo.85 »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44835 on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:39 am »
The 2nd half of Hacksaw Ridge was something a bit special I thought but the first half was borderline shite. Over-indulgent and sentimental on one hand but then brutally viseral on the other. There's a lot on show to admire, but just like Gibson as a person, it's ultimately rather flawed.

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44836 on: February 24, 2017, 04:01:43 pm »
Yeah Gibson really directed the battle as something close to body horror (there's even a jump scare), rather than as action as a lot of directors tend to do. But yes, the second half is far far superior to the first which reminded me of a better version of Pearl Harbor.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44837 on: February 24, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »

Field of Dreams
My Left Foot
Crimes and Misdemeanours
Do the Right Thing
Cinema Paradiso
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Say Anything
Drugstore Cowboy
The Fabulous Baker Boys

...... Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

::)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44838 on: February 24, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
I always thought Mel Gibson's films were terribly self-aware and high art-like - considering he is supposedly a very funny man who doesn't take himself too seriously, he has a Christian sentimentality that is so close with Spielberg's Jewish/Scientology sentimentality. Spielberg is obviously Jewish and I do remember there being rumour a while back that he was a closeted non-practicing Scientologist - which would make sense in a way - but regardless, the point I'm making is that he takes his films a bit too seriously sometimes and the cheese is so much that it would enough to knock a fly from a turd. It just appears that he uses very different levels of sentiment and I often think that, that sentiment comes on thick in any film that centres around theology/religion. And nearly every Mel Gibson film has a slither of religious - sometimes a slither the size of an iceberg, sometimes a splinter.

And while I liked Hacksaw Ridge, I spent a portion of my viewing time wondering if I was believing what I was seeing - and I think that is what it is - it is such a fantastically unbelievable story that it doesn't need embellishment of any sort. At times, I felt like I was getting he story rammed down my gullet while the eye candy kept me from gagging.

It was all a bit too much... But while Braveheart had that too at times - it was far more palatable because whatever you think of Mel Gibson, he is a great fucking actor. Andrew Garfield isn't - he really isn't and I agree with others, he did a good job, but was terribly mis-cast for the role... But the action and story carried him through (no pun intended). He had some very good scenes but I kept on thinking "That is that kid from Boy A".

He'll have a hard time shaking off that boy next door thing - unfortunately for him, while that may have been what Gibson wanted - on this occasion, for me, he was that boy next door but one.

Vince Vaughn tried to do the underplay that worked so well for Clint Eastwood - I kind of liked it, but can see why others didn't.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #44839 on: February 24, 2017, 09:02:38 pm »
The long lost first film by Jean Luc Godard has cropped up on youtube. Not sure how long it will last up there.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DzpFi0uBmzs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DzpFi0uBmzs</a>

very few have seen it... now, very few will see it.

ps... you have to click captions or something to get the subtitles going... they are there. Enjoy.

edit.. I managed to watch it earlier this morning with decent subtitles, and not this white background thing which is awful. Best to try variations or something.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this  :thumbup
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★