Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Liverpool v Manchester City - 10 March 2024, 15:45 - Sky Sports  (Read 26925 times)

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Match Preview – Liverpool v Manchester City

Kick Off – 15:45
Venue – Anfield
TV – Sky Sports Main Event

Officials
Referee: Michael Oliver.
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Dan Cook.
Fourth official: David Coote
VAR: Stuart Attwell
Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton

Klopp v Guardiola – the last dance…or is it?

“I will sleep better [when Klopp goes]. The games we play before against Liverpool were almost a nightmare. Of course he will be missed. It was a shock. I felt when I heard it that a part of Man City … we will lose something. We cannot define our period here without him … without Liverpool. Impossible. They have been our biggest rivals. And personally he [Klopp] has been the best rival I ever had in my life – in Dortmund when I was in Bayern, then here.” – Pep Guardiola.

Much will be made of the fact that the two greatest managers of the modern era will face off for the final time in the Premier League at Anfield. It has been a classic rivalry forged over a decade, Klopp often defying the odds with his comparatively moderate resources to keep pace with and topple Guardiola’s teams of unlimited riches, both in England and Germany. This may just be the most important of those head to heads yet, with a win putting daylight between Liverpool and their rivals going into the final ten games of the season, the Championship rounds as it were.

Of course this may not actually be the final time the two managers face off, with the tantalising prospect of Klopp’s final game in England being an FA Cup Final in May, should both teams progress to the Anfield South showpiece.

Match Preview

This one needs no billing. Liverpool lead the Premier League by one point from Man City, with Arsenal a point further back in 3rd. Reds fans will be forgiven for feelings of anxiousness about this position and the looming shadow of the visitors, having been narrowly pipped to the Premier League title in 2019 and 2022 by the barest of margins in final day shoot outs. But crucially, the Reds have never entered March ahead of the visitors with the prospect of Man City having to come to Anfield, a ground where they have notoriously wilted when faced with the heat of the Anfield crowd. Sunday represents a glorious opportunity for the Reds to open up a four-point gap to Man City with just ten Premier League games to play, with the visitors still to host Arsenal and visit Tottenham. This potentially could be the difference maker and advantage that we never had in 2019 and 2022, when we had to visit the Etihad in the second part of the season and had to chase the opposition down each week right to the end. Strap yourselves in folks – this is going to be a blockbuster.

It would be remiss of me not to touch on the 115 to date unanswered Profit and Sustainability charges that are currently levied against our visitors. Fine football team though they are, the unanswered charges continue to be a dark cloud over the biggest competitions with very clear question marks remaining around the legitimacy of their success. Anyone connected with them bristle at the accusation that they have done anything wrong, or that they have ‘cheated’, as the allegations currently suggest. Nothing to see here guv’nor, it’s all the fault of the established cartel that’s out to stop poor City. Clearly, the sportswashing project undertaken by their Abu Dhabi regime has worked with the previously success starved locals.

It's been six years since Pep Guardiola, in the changing room at Goodison Park during a Premier League fixture with Everton, infamously uttered the words ‘they scare me’, about the Reds emerging famed trio of Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mo Salah, footage which was shown on the ‘Manchester City: All or Nothing’ documentary, ahead of a Champions League quarter-final at Anfield. With his head scrambled with fear, Pep would go into full meltdown following a raucous bus welcome outside Anfield, playing Aymeric Laporte at left back believing that Jurgen would shuffle his pack and play Firmino from the right and Salah through the middle. Klopp of course stuck to the tried and tested plan, Salah and Firmino caused havoc and Liverpool would go on to run riot, leading 3-0 after half an hour.

I guess the point I’m attempting to make here is that Liverpool, Anfield and Klopp, can very clearly unsettle Guardiola and his players. That was one of a litany of strange decisions he has made against the Reds, along with various levels of meltdowns on the touchline, in interviews and barbed comments he has made.

So this is where Anfield comes into play. We have seen the impact that we, as fans, can have on this fixture, on Pep and on his players. All of us that are fortunate enough to have a ticket need to bring their absolute best on Sunday – starting from the bus welcomes, to pre-match, to ensuring that for 90 minutes we are at our loud, aggressive, snarling best to give our players that extra push. Let’s show them that Trent Alexander-Arnold is absolutely right – that this really does mean more to us. In case you needed reminding, here’s our record against Pep Guardiola’s Man City at Anfield under Klopp –

31 December 2016 – Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City
14 January 2018 – Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City
04 April 2018 – Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City (UEFA Champions League)
07 October 2018 – Liverpool 0-0 Manchester City
10 November 2019 – Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City
07 February 2021 – Liverpool 1-4 Manchester City*
03 October 2021 – Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City
16 October 2022 – Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City

*denotes fixture being played behind closed doors due to Covid-19 pandemic.

Injury News

There was the welcome sight of Mo Salah, Darwin Nunez and Dominik Szoboszlai making successful returns against Sparta Prague. All three will surely be in line to start on Sunday.

All eyes and ears will be on Jurgen’s press conference at 1.30pm today for an update on Ibrahima Konate, who was withdrawn as a ‘precaution’, having seemingly suffered some discomfort in a muscle area. There was initially some concern over Joe Gomez, however Klopp has already cleared this up as a rotational substitution to manage Joe’s recent workload.

Provided they are fit, I would retain Gomez at left back with Konate continuing to partner Virgil and Conor Bradley continuing at right back. In the event that Konate doesn’t make it, I would show faith in Jarell Quansah to come in, although the more natural decision would be for Gomez to partner Virgil and Andy Robertson coming in at left back.

Predicted line up – (4-3-3) Kelleher, Bradley, Konate, van Dijk, Gomez, Endo, Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Salah, Diaz, Nunez

Come on you mighty Reds! YNWA.

« Last Edit: March 8, 2024, 10:39:40 pm by Raid »

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I am confident we'll get a result here.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Thanks OP

The biggest game of the season - a draw and it isn't so bad but if we can win it will be excellent for us in league terms.
They are the team to beat and in good form....they look leaky at the back but so do we. They have their first team we don't but we have proved that doesn't matter so much in recent weeks.

First goal is massive, I expect a chess match until then....could become a tense affair but there is always potential for a bit of madness. And if our forwards are up for it on the day we could cause them real problems, especially Nunez...

Hope we take advantage of the moments we get at the right times. It will come down to that in the end
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Paddock.

• Main Stander
  • Heart as big as my hometown.
We will hammer them 4-0 or 4-1. Nunez x2, Diaz, Mac Allister (pen).

Klopp will roll back the years to Liverpool 1.0 when we regularly destroyed Pep's over-hyped team of mercenaries.

Anfield will be a cauldron of chaos. Pep's head will explode.

That is all.
'Football works in cycles... Liverpool will be back.'

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks OP

The biggest game of the season - a draw and it isn't so bad but if we can win it will be excellent for us in league terms.
They are the team to beat and in good form....they look leaky at the back but so do we. They have their first team we don't but we have proved that doesn't matter so much in recent weeks.

First goal is massive, I expect a chess match until then....could become a tense affair but there is always potential for a bit of madness. And if our forwards are up for it on the day we could cause them real problems, especially Nunez...

Hope we take advantage of the moments we get at the right times. It will come down to that in the end

Yes I think Darwin could well be the difference maker here. His movement will upset the well oiled game of chess that Guardiola likes.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
That gif of Guardiola, absolute classic. The media will be out in force to have a go here because someone threw a bottle at their triple glazed bus once and it completely threw them off their game.
This will be a bit tasty. Pumping for this one, haven't looked forward to a match as much in quite a while. 
I don't think Konte plays, but the first 3 names I would be sticking down for the spine would be Endo, Van Dijk and Nunez. The former 2 play and we're good enough to stop anyone, the latter and .....strap in and good luck   
Come on red men

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Presser in half an hour..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fr-tBOgYSbg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fr-tBOgYSbg</a>
« Last Edit: March 8, 2024, 01:04:38 pm by The Final Third »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Heart over money.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Virgil's thoughts on the match:

"It’s obviously going to be a massive game for both sides and I’m really looking forward to the challenge of facing the treble winners. It’s always good to come up against one of the best and most in-form strikers in the world.

He is a natural goalscorer, he has proven it and his numbers are speaking for themselves so it will be a tough afternoon but it’s a battle I am looking forward to.

I’ve caused him problems, he’s caused me problems – that’s how it works. These battles are always tough. But like I said I think he is looking forward to it and I’m looking forward to it.”

There’s too long to go. Obviously it is a massive game, you can’t deny that. There will be a lot of eyes on it but we have one aim and that’s to try to win the game. We are at home and we are looking forward to the big challenge but the big opportunity as well.

We want to get a good result. That’s the only thing we will try and do, not going out there to make statements. But we know we are going to face a team which is very good and it will be tough.”

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
I think one of the key issues is

How brave should we be

If we draw , it’s still largely in our hands because Arsenal are very unlikely to win at the etihad. No one has for a long time

The only terrible outcome is a loss

But if we win, this might be over as I expect city to beat Arsenal at home

Injuries etc not so big a deal

We ll have no kids playing

We have our best front 3 available , nearly our best midfield 3, and we beat them last season with vvd and Gomez when we were terrible

Oh and kelleher and Bradley’s recent form is arguably better than the legends they are replacing

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great write up.

Already feeling the nerves. It's become a bit of a cliche but they'll feel the longer it stays 0-0, the better chance they have. We love late goals this season but a big proportion of our wins over them have come where one first half goal has very quickly followed second, and even a third.

City are an unbelievably good football team and there's every chance they'll come with a plan that really unsettles us. It's so hard to predict. I've just got a feeling that Darwin and Salah will get the damage done in the first half and we can really start dreaming about the title.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Well, we've done exactly what we needed to post Arsenal defeat and won every game meaning this one has proper meaning. If we'd have dropped even one point from Burnley/Brentford/Luton/Forest I'd not be anywhere near as excited for it, as we had to beat all of them and then win this. The funny thing is, even if we lose we're one point behind with ten games to go, like, that's pretty good isn't it? But as far as I'm concerned if we do lose it you might as well start coming to terms with the fact we'll likely finish 2nd or 3rd.

If the crowd is the 12th man then I think it'll make up for the numerous absences. Szoboszlai to start with Elliott off the bench, Salah to start too. Take a win by any means necessary.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

Kwalitee OP, Raid ;D

Let's twat these 115+ Cheats!
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Fantastic OP. Thanks for that mate.

Not much to say really, other than BATTER THEM
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan

City are an unbelievably good football team and there's every chance they'll come with a plan that really unsettles us. It's so hard to predict.

I don’t pay any compliments to a project that has cheated it’s way to be good, they have literally broke every financial rule going and still doing so. They deserve zero credit or adulation.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't know if there's ever been a game I've wanted to win more in my life.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
I don't know if there's ever been a game I've wanted to win more in my life.

You've never played chess against your competitive sibling then.

In all seriousness, this is the biggest league game in a few years. Certainly feels pivotal
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Brilliant opening post.

There is a dark cloud over them despite them being really fucking good.

We are also brilliant so let’s hope the players and fans stand up to the occasion.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
Good guys vs bad guys.

Hollywood ending please.

Upthereds  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
Nunez with a hat-trick, he's going to wreck them. 90/1 with Paddy Power.

Offline tunred

• Main Stander
  • ici c'est liverpool
great op, thanks.
a win puts as a favorites for the title with Arsenal and 115ers still having to play each other, and means we can afford to drop points at least once.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
A dark cloud? More like a rancid stench of lies and deception, with a seasoning of corruption and fraud thrown in.

Like us all, I loved the game at Anfield where Guardiola lost his shit TWICE, Basil Fawlty-style, and I'd give anything for us to give the scumbag a further booster to fuel his nightmares. A real hard punch in the kidneys.

As for the cyborg blobfish, a repeat of the Community Shield 2022 where he embarrassed himself as Darwin took the plaudits, will do.

Bit gutted as I'm travelling on Sunday eve, just not currently decided whether to keep tabs via phone or just check the score afterwards.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
Good guys vs bad guys.

Hollywood ending please.

Upthereds  :scarf :scarf :scarf

I like that 👌
Football is a lie

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Good article from Miguel Delaney

https://t.co/eXmeApYpBy
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
We need another 2019 here, the 3-1. Anfield was rabid that day. Hate cliches but this is about as must win as it gets with regards the title run in.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Good article from Miguel Delaney

https://t.co/eXmeApYpBy

Quality as usual from Delaney.

And cut through the somewhat inane and misconstrued City 'response' to Trent's quote.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
Despite the fact that yes, these charalatans have bent and broken the rules to acquire players and staff, and should be punished; out on the pitch their players are excellent at football and they are extremely well coached also.

They have basically zero injuries and can make £60 million substitutions whereas we have at least 3 players missing who would unquestionably get into our team if fit and can only bring on 18 year olds to change the game.

I don't see any shame in admitting that on the strength of the starting XI's - theirs is stronger than ours overall.

I just hope that the emotion of our supporters, the pressure and tension of the occasion can kinda sweep our lads along and we can come away with a win, but I'd also take a draw.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Nunez with a hat-trick, he's going to wreck them. 90/1 with Paddy Power.

What have you done.....I am going to have to now.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Great preview, Raid. Looks like we're gradually moving towards full strength, even if we aren't quite there yet. Should be an absolute cracker, I can't believe I'm going to be on a plane when it's going on.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Shite if Konate cant play but if not then it has to be Bradley, Gomez, Van Dijk and Robertson in that back four. We cant be playing Quansah and Bradley down that right side.

I think we will see Szobozslai start with Endo and Mac Allister with Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo/Elliott up front.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

I've put 5K on it.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
Robertson struggles with Foden i hope Gomez can start at LB.
But unlikely iw ould think

Kelleher
Bradley--Gomez--VVD--Robertson
-----Endo
Mac----Szobo
Salah--Nunez--Diaz

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Kelleher
-----Endo
Mac----Szobo
Salah--Nunez--Diaz

Fully believe Salah is on the bench. Dont see how we go into this game with two players with fitness concerns in Salah and Szobozslai.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
I think this match and the away each season against them is the only one I find almost unwatchable, seen through fingers with grinding molars. What will we be putting out,a  60-70% strength first eleven and severely depleted bench?. As things are I'd take the draw (we have the kindest run in of the top three), but let's see what is happening by half time. It might take a miracle, but fortunately, we produce those on a weekly basis.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan

You know it makes sense 😁 The boys on 🔥

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Endo is going to be immense in this game.
Don't think they'll like him pressing for 90+ minutes.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
Can we just go back 21 hours and take Konate off at half time please  ;D

Gomez or Quansah will be an interesting selection, Quansah is in tune with VVD this season but Gomez has been brilliant and if im not mistaken he paired up with VVD at Anfield in the 1-0 win last season? Fullback selection also an interesting one, I've got a feeling that if Konate is injured we line up Bradley-Quansah-VVD-Gomez.

Szoboszlai and Salah were big positives last night, I can see them both coming on at the 65 minute mark.  Maybe Szoboszlai even starts and we use Elliott as an impact sub?

Could Klopp even gamble on starting Salah over Gapko? Gapko has played a lot of football at the minute and has also been good as an impact sub at times this year.

The more I think about it, the more I haven't a fucking clue what the manager do, just trust in Klopp and just do our part in ramping up the atmosphere.

The one thing I have loved about this season is how players have stood up and really took their chance when we needed them - Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, Tsmilkas, Gomez, Jones, Elliott, Endo, Jota, and more recently Diaz and Gapko stepping up and looking sharper. These players have had to stand up because of our massive injury problems and that is exactly what they have done.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2024, 03:27:01 pm by William Regal »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Kelleher
-----Endo
Mac----Szobo
Salah--Nunez--Diaz
Here you again dissing Robbo. Everyone struggles with Foden right now he’s playing his best football. He’s their biggest threat, but he won’t get an easy ride from Robbo
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

-----Endo
Mac----Szobo

If we literally set up like that .. as in its a 1-2 in midfield with Endo at the 6 we'll have huge issues
He's got to adjust the midfield set up for this

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
If we literally set up like that .. as in its a 1-2 in midfield with Endo at the 6 we'll have huge issues
He's got to adjust the midfield set up for this

Such as?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"