Author Topic: EL: Sparta 1 Bradley OG45' v Liverpool 5 Macca 5' Nunez 24' 47' Diaz 53 Dom 93'  (Read 14425 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
**NOTE THE EARLY KICK OFF TIME**

Our European knockout adventures begin on Thursday, with a rip to the Czech capital of Prague to face Sparta. We've met them before, in 2010/11 we played them in the last 32 of the Europa League under newly appointed Kenny Dalglish and won 1-0 over the 2 legs, courtesy of a late 2nd leg winner from Dirk Kuyt. Not really an occasion to dwell on for too long. Instead I wanted to talk abut Liverpool's connection with the Czechia Republic, and the city of Prague in particular.

If you're old like me, then cast your minds back to the glorious summer of 1996. Glorious until I got my A level results anyway...but still, an endless summer, lots of sunshine, Euro 96 and a lot of new names that were unfamiliar to our eyes suddenly becoming household names. The unfancied Czech Republic qualified out of a group containing Germany and Italy, took ut the dark horses of Portugal, dumped France out on penalties and improbably made the final, where they took the lead through a penalty from some long haired God by the name of Patrik Berger, before eventually falling to Germany in extra time.

A Premier League dominated by British and Irish players, where most foreign imports were Scandanvian suddenly became more cosmopolitan, and Liverpool played their part, sign the aforementioned Berger from Borussia Dortmund. In the pre-internet era he was still something of a mystery but he very quickly became a Cop favourite. He made his debut off the bench at Leicester, scoring twice, both with that hammer of a left foot, to turn the game for the Reds. A week later, his first start, and he scored another brace at home to Chelsea as we smashed them 5-1. It seemed like we had a true superstar on our hands. ver that first season Berger found himself in and out of the side a little, battling with Stan Collymore for a starting position alongside Fowler and McManaman. The goals inevitably died up a little but he still made a major impact.

It was under Gerard Houllier that Berger shone brightest for Liverpool though. From the 98/99 season, through to early 2000/01 he was a first choice, scoring plenty of trademark screamers from outside of the box, the pick of which being the free kick at Old Trafford. Sadly he picked up a bad knee injury in the 4-3 defeat at Leeds and although he recovered his place for the treble winning run in, including that match winning assist for Owen in the FA Cup Final, he was never quite the same player, and eventually left us at the end of 2002/03. He played for Portsmouth and Aston Villa before ending his career at Sparta.

https://youtu.be/iU4Gk_romNE?si=f_xgV5PNTUofUMtY

Berger wasn't the only Czech star though. In the summer of 1999, Houllier's rebuild saw him bring in Vladimir Smicer from Lens. A clever forward/attacking midfielder, Vladi at times found it difficult to make a sustained impact although had plenty of memorable cameos off the bench in his early seasons. It was his winning of the free kick that led to our golden goal winner in Dortmund. The following season he volleyed us to the top of the Premier League with a last minute winner against Chelsea. And obviously, who can forget his greatest and last appearance for us, coming off the bench in Istanbul to score the crucial second goal that really had Milan rocking, before scoring in the shootout, with his final kick for the club. Vladi was a Slavia man, starting and ending his career there.

https://youtu.be/261aPhdUebM?si=BI1AFJWZ5I7tKnnD
I should mention Milan Baros at this point. Bt he was a Banik Ostrava man (the Ostravan Maradona!), and I'm running out of time. :D

THE GAME

Let's be fair - there is a huge game coming on Sunday. While the Europa League remains a huge target, he only major trophy we haven't won under Jurgen, selection for this game will largely be dictated by who we want to start against City at the weekend. Minutes could be useful for some players on the fringes of returning to full fitness, but in reality it may be a game to start a few of the young lads who have served us so well this season, try and keep things tight and win the tie in the second leg. It feels a slight gamble, but everything is a balancing act at the moment.

Sparta drew 0-0 with big rivals Slavia at the weekend but they're having a great season domestically, winning 19 of their 23 games so far, losing only one.

PREDCTED LINE UP
Kelleher

Bradley   Gomez.   Quansah   Tsimikas

McConnell
Eliott    Clark

Gakpo.   Danns.   Koumas

I don't have much faith in that being the starting line up actually - feel like we may start one or two more senior players and manage minutes as best we can. It's a tricky one to balance.

Prediction: 1-1

« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 07:38:10 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: EL: Sparta v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 7, 2024, 04:49:51 pm »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 7, 2024, 04:51:30 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2024, 05:41:59 pm »
Players coming out. Robbo is captain tonight.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 05:44:40 pm by jillcwhomever »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2024, 05:45:52 pm »
Looks like a good atmosphere - think this will be tougher than some expect

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2024, 05:46:12 pm »
0 Liverpool get the game underway in their changed kit.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2024, 05:47:47 pm »
1 So close to an opening goal but Nunez can't quite get a proper connection on the ball after Sparta make a real mess of a clearance.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2024, 05:49:00 pm »
1 So close to an opening goal but Nunez can't quite get a proper connection on the ball after Sparta make a real mess of a clearance.
Did the hard part after Endo had done well to win the ball

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2024, 05:49:45 pm »
3 A spectacular dive by a Sparta player as he and Diaz make contact, nothing in it and we get the ball.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2024, 05:50:16 pm »
This will be a pen to us

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2024, 05:50:39 pm »
4 Possible penalty for us after Macca is clipped. going to VAR.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2024, 05:52:10 pm »
5 Penalty a long wait until the ref was happy but Macca scores really well. 0-1.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: EL: Sparta 0 v Liverpool 1 Macca 5'
« Reply #12 on: March 7, 2024, 05:53:23 pm »
I forgot this was an early kick-off. Nice, calm, pen from Mac.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 7, 2024, 05:53:42 pm »
The new Penalty king - no messing cool as you like Macca

Great start Liverpool - did well to win it as well was in very quickly there on the defender
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 05:55:33 pm by duvva 💅 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2024, 05:54:10 pm »
7 Free kick to Sparta but we deal with it well and kick it down field.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 7, 2024, 05:55:39 pm »
9 A nice little ball over the top from Robbo to Nunez who in the end is forced to pass back.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 7, 2024, 05:57:23 pm »
11 Interesting tactical battle this whichever team has the ball the other one is pressing up high.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #17 on: March 7, 2024, 05:58:21 pm »
They’re no mugs these and their fans are loud.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 7, 2024, 05:58:26 pm »
11 Interesting tactical battle this whichever team has the ball the other one is pressing up high.
Their spirits certainly haven't been dampened by the early setback, the crowd either

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 7, 2024, 05:58:54 pm »
12 Sparta put in very long throw in into our box which initially causes an issue but we get it away and Nunez chases the ball down field but Sparta get it back to the goalie.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 7, 2024, 05:59:31 pm »
Their spirits certainly haven't been dampened by the early setback, the crowd either

One of these wonderful bouncing crowds!  :D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 7, 2024, 06:00:41 pm »
12 Sparta put in very long throw in into our box which initially causes an issue but we get it away and Nunez chases the ball down field but Sparta get it back to the goalie.
Gomez was a little lax there before the throw, Macca did well defending

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 7, 2024, 06:00:50 pm »
Good work by Gakpo wriggling and wiggling his way through a couple of tackles - undone by falling over at the end.

Fuck me - what a save by Kelleher
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 06:02:48 pm by Rush 82 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 7, 2024, 06:01:24 pm »
14 Almost an equaliser. Harvey was down but Sparta play on the break and get into our box and shoot. Kelleher does well to initially tip it high but it comes down again and Gomez hacks it away on the line!

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 7, 2024, 06:02:37 pm »
Gozo’s work by Gakpo wriggling and wiggling his way through a couple of tackles - undone by falling over at the end.

Fuck me - what a save by Kelleher
I thought it was a foul

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 7, 2024, 06:02:58 pm »
16 We get a bit of possession in the middle of the field but Gakpo's ball is too far ahead of our other attackers.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 7, 2024, 06:04:39 pm »
18 We get a corner which Robbo takes and whizzes the ball over everyone! It comes back to Gomez who attempts to cross the ball in but it goes out.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 7, 2024, 06:05:52 pm »
19 We get caught badly and they break again and somehow Konate gets it away. But they are pressuring us now.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 7, 2024, 06:06:48 pm »
19 We get caught badly and they break again and somehow Konate gets it away. But they are pressuring us now.
great work twice by the arse of Konate

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 7, 2024, 06:07:09 pm »
20 They get a couple of corners, the first one is saved by Kelleher. The second one is quite dangerous but we just about deal with it.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 7, 2024, 06:07:31 pm »
We are all praying for Kelleher to get up right now

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 7, 2024, 06:08:22 pm »
20 They get a couple of corners, the first one is saved by Kelleher. The second one is quite dangerous but we just about deal with it.
wasn't great initially with his punches but a brilliant save in the middle of it all, and thankfully he's now back on his feet after a good catch saw him land awkwardly

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 7, 2024, 06:08:35 pm »
22 Yikes! Kelleher got hurt when he came for a ball he lands awkwardly on his back, but he seems okay now.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 7, 2024, 06:09:06 pm »
Yikes! That was intense.

Kelleher excellent in that very hairy spell

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 7, 2024, 06:09:42 pm »
23 Sparta get a free kick in their area as the ref decides Nunez fouled someone.

Over to duvva.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 7, 2024, 06:09:59 pm »
Next Liverpool goal is 1000 under Klopp

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 7, 2024, 06:10:41 pm »
24 Thats how to score the 1000th goal - DARWIN Nunez - a great strike from about 25 yards but the keeper seemed wrong footed and dived past it - 2-0
« Last Edit: March 7, 2024, 06:12:37 pm by duvva 💅 »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 7, 2024, 06:10:52 pm »
Konate and Gomez are being overrun…

OMG OMG

What a goal by Darwin.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #38 on: March 7, 2024, 06:11:37 pm »
Just finished work in time to see that goal from the big man, what a cracker!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 7, 2024, 06:12:33 pm »
1000 goals!!!!