Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 552685 times)

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #10040 on: April 23, 2024, 07:00:07 am »
Conceição maybe an option.
7 years at Porto done an excellent job. Done decent in europe
last 8 of CL twice with Porto
He's somewhat of a hot-headed character, and not averse to the dark arts. I remember him as a player from the Belgian league. I don't think he's a good fit for the club.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10041 on: April 23, 2024, 07:00:49 am »
Not really. Lots of data that suggests he'd be a great fit with our squad and plenty of other data that shows he's done a brilliant job at Stuttgart. The biggest question really is whether or not he'd be interested in leaving for anyone apart from Bayern.

Its one really good season where he got a team from near relegation last season to CL football places in Germany. I mean, its good but hardly bundles of qualification there is? Plus he was sacked at the club he was at before.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10042 on: April 23, 2024, 07:01:28 am »
Forgot about Emery, who is an interesting option. I think if his spell at Arsenal didn’t happen, he’d be a more popular option. He’s become a bit of a journeyman though which doesn’t sit right with me.

Emery would be mad to leave Villa now.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #10043 on: April 23, 2024, 07:06:09 am »
What if the West Ham links are an agent power move? What if they’re exploring their options to push us into offering better terms or pushing us to get it done early? Always a possibility but unlikely at best.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #10044 on: April 23, 2024, 07:06:22 am »

Why ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #10045 on: April 23, 2024, 07:10:18 am »
Its one really good season where he got a team from near relegation last season to CL football places in Germany. I mean, its good but hardly bundles of qualification there is? Plus he was sacked at the club he was at before.

Might as well go for a manager that’s done that in the Premier League…

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #10046 on: April 23, 2024, 07:21:14 am »
Some chat and a lot of uninformed speculation really

Welcome to Rawk, can I offer you a biscuit?

(Still think it's Amorim for us, he's not going to West Ham (over us) unless he's suffered some sort of brain injury.)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10047 on: April 23, 2024, 07:24:59 am »
If Amorim ends up at West Ham, it’s because we decided he’s not the one. It certainly feels like we may have U-turned on him a bit. I’d actually warned to the idea of him so it’s a bit of a shame.

Lots of people talking about Mourinho but it obviously won’t be him. There’s no way he’s scoring high on any analysis, nor a personality that is going to be compatible with the club. Tuchel seems like a Mourinho Lite so I wouldn’t go near him.

De Zerbi terrifies me because Hughes is supposedly a big fan.

With respect, I think the job is too big for Slot or Hoeness, and I don’t think Iraola, O’Neil or Frank are good enough.

It’s all pretty wild. I was so sure it was Alonso or Amorim. They seemed like the only two who ticked all the boxes.
Why would it be too big a job for Slot but not Amorim? They seem to have done similair jobs domestically, Slot's done decent in Europe as well

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10048 on: April 23, 2024, 07:30:33 am »

There isn't a manager on the planet who'd stay at Villa if offered the Liverpool job
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10049 on: April 23, 2024, 07:32:53 am »
Why ?

He is finally at a club which is big, loves him and has a decent pot of money, with realistic expectations thus far. He comes to us and he will join a massive club where there will be questions over his appointment and pressure on in day one.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10050 on: April 23, 2024, 07:34:46 am »

You suggested that he could only be a top choice based on unseen data, but lots of widely available data suggests he gets his teams playing a way that suits our players.

Plus being sacked means he ticks that facing adversity problem people had with Xabi. Hoffenheim haven't exactly cracked on since his departure either - he had them 9th.

I'm also quietly confident that he doesn't ride a skateboard into training, which I know is important to a lot of people on here.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #10051 on: April 23, 2024, 07:43:16 am »
He is finally at a club which is big, loves him and has a decent pot of money, with realistic expectations thus far. He comes to us and he will join a massive club where there will be questions over his appointment and pressure on in day one.

TBF, the same could be said of Alonso and Amorim.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10052 on: April 23, 2024, 07:45:27 am »
Zidane?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #10053 on: April 23, 2024, 07:48:57 am »

Be pressure at Villa too.

I think he is great but we won't go for him.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10054 on: April 23, 2024, 07:49:15 am »
May as well just not speak or think. Just lie in bed and what will be will be
Yep.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10055 on: April 23, 2024, 07:51:22 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

a) They know the decision will be unpopular
b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #10056 on: April 23, 2024, 07:53:29 am »
If it wasn't west hams private jet who's was it? I know he would be fairly wealthy but would he charter one himself?

Liverpool I believe have offices in London so it's not out of question he would be meeting us. In saying that there is definitely something to orny pricks tweets.. Maybe Inzaghi now their league is done?
very common these days for “Private” jets to have fractional ownership. You can own a share in a jet or just rent usage of a jet. So good chance it’s not owned by West Ham or us.
I also think West Ham don’t really need to keep quiet about interviewing Amorim (if they are sacking Moyes), whereas we have Klopp’s leaving to respect and typically Edwards et al keep stum about such things.
So no reason that this isn’t the first chance Amorim has had to do some interviews, including West Ham (who are not “hiding” this) and possibly also ourselves.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #10057 on: April 23, 2024, 07:54:25 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble

Who did this tweet come from ?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10058 on: April 23, 2024, 07:55:14 am »

I think Brave just means being open to the unpopular choice. The same comments from Ornstein said they are going for "The right choice not the popular one"

To whatever measure we are making it is the least gamble. Just maybe not the name everyone wants

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10059 on: April 23, 2024, 07:57:57 am »
Who did this tweet come from ?

Ben Jacobs.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: April 23, 2024, 07:58:02 am »

Of all the names being banded about I think he’d be the one with the least reservations about jumping to us. Established and successful at what I’ll call a ‘second tier big prem club’ for want of a better term. Had one go at a big 6 club and didn’t succeed. Now older and more experienced he will be desperate for another crack at a big one.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10061 on: April 23, 2024, 07:59:32 am »
I think Brave just means being open to the unpopular choice. The same comments from Ornstein said they are going for "The right choice not the popular one"

To whatever measure we are making it is the least gamble. Just maybe not the name everyone wants

To be fair, following Klopp everyone is a gamble. Even Guardiola or Carlo would be a gamble. But there are gambles and there are gambles.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #10062 on: April 23, 2024, 07:59:43 am »

I'm very cynical about that tweet. It suggests a decision has been made, and it's known by some who are keeping it a secret.

It's easy to say it'll be brave and possibly unpopular, if it's not Alonso or Amorim. Basically, it's not saying a lot.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10063 on: April 23, 2024, 08:00:21 am »
TBF, the same could be said of Alonso and Amorim.

Leverkusen and Sporting are not as rich as Villa, or as big.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10064 on: April 23, 2024, 08:00:28 am »
Of all the names being banded about I think he’d be the one with the least reservations about jumping to us. Established and successful at what I’ll call a ‘second tier big prem club’ for want of a better term. Had one go at a big 6 club and didn’t succeed. Now older and more experienced he will be desperate for another crack at a big one.

You have to remember that in some people's minds, all our managerial options are shit, and we're also shit so that even the better of the shit ones won't come to us.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10065 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:06 am »
Leverkusen and Sporting are not as rich as Villa, or as big.

Villa are European cup winners. Bayer or Sporting can't say the same.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10066 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:06 am »
Ben Jacobs.

Ornstein said the exact same comments a week or so ago on his podcast

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10067 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:31 am »

So two journos saying the same thing.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:40 am »
You suggested that he could only be a top choice based on unseen data, but lots of widely available data suggests he gets his teams playing a way that suits our players.

Plus being sacked means he ticks that facing adversity problem people had with Xabi. Hoffenheim haven't exactly cracked on since his departure either - he had them 9th.

I'm also quietly confident that he doesn't ride a skateboard into training, which I know is important to a lot of people on here.

It was a joke really in the vein of something being seen in him that the obvious doesn't. Also i think putting so much stock in data and stats for managers seems a bit risky.

He did worse for Hoffenheim compared to the manager before him. Again, that one job shouldn't rule him out but really his best performance is boiled down to one season. I know there are a number of managers we have laughed out of the conversation but i don't get how they are and he is considered a genuine option.

Offline Smudge 2.0

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10069 on: April 23, 2024, 08:03:39 am »
All aboard the Gary O'Neil fun bus

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10070 on: April 23, 2024, 08:03:49 am »

Possibly, depends on his motivations I guess.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10071 on: April 23, 2024, 08:04:04 am »
Brave and unpopular - Mourinho
Brave and unpopular - O'Neill

Actually, who wouldn't be considered a brave and unpopular appointment

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10072 on: April 23, 2024, 08:04:58 am »

I was just about to say the same thing I read it on Ornstein's Twitter.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10073 on: April 23, 2024, 08:05:56 am »
If it's not a name the majority can feel excited about, there's an inevitable extra weakness. The excitement factor is relative given a] we're losing Klopp and b] none of the candidates available at the moment is of proven world-class pedigree. So given that starting point, if the person appointed is totally left field (let's say, Eddie Howe for the sake of argument) then there will be an inevitable, at the very least sub-conscious, effect on the players and their buy-in. & secondly, of course, the support will be less patient. You'd hope Edwards and co are intelligent enough to realise this and take other factors into account rather than just data, but Ornstein's tweets, which have the feel of a briefing, are a touch unnerving.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10074 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:02 am »

I think someone like Hansi Flick would be brave and popular. Not someone who was on the radar but a winner of a CL for Bayern.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10075 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:21 am »

Emery probably would be brave but maybe not unpopular - I think people do respect him as a manager

Offline asif_00013

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10076 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:43 am »
I will sell my left testicle for zidane

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10077 on: April 23, 2024, 08:08:58 am »
If it's not a name the majority can feel excited about, there's an inevitable extra weakness. The excitement factor is relative given a] we're losing Klopp and b] none of the candidates available at the moment is of proven world-class pedigree. So given that starting point, if the person appointed is totally left field (let's say, Eddie Howe for the sake of argument) then there will be an inevitable, at the very least sub-conscious, effect on the players and their buy-in. & secondly, of course, the support will be less patient. You'd hope Edwards and co are intelligent enough to realise this and take other factors into account rather than just data, but Ornstein's tweets, which have the feel of a briefing, are a touch unnerving.

If two journos are saying the same thing it's worrying.
I still wouldn't rule out Amorim but I think there has been a briefing to lower expectations in the event we don't get him.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10078 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:05 am »
Given the comments made about him, the people deemed unlikely or ruled out, and the data analytical approach, I think it's going to be Thomas Frank

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10079 on: April 23, 2024, 08:11:36 am »
If two journos are saying the same thing it's worrying.
I still wouldn't rule out Amorim but I think there has been a briefing to lower expectations in the event we don't get him.

I mean if we want him and don't get him because of West Ham that's a big problem

I think the briefing is exactly what it is, he isn't our first choice

I think there is also a degree of him being the favorite so people built him as the ideal perfect candidate, and now it isn't him there's very real backlash based on the perception of him we made because we thought he was coming in