Author Topic: Europa League 2023/24  (Read 49591 times)

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Europa League 2023/24
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2023, 10:41:12 am »
We really should not be turning our noses up at the EL. With the creation of ECL, the EL itself is way more prestigious since now you will only have eligible clubs from the top16 nations participating plus teams dropping out of the CL. Its a competition that has brought the club and fans plenty of emotions in the past and it is also the only trophy Klopp has not won in his tenure here so far. I am kinda looking forward to it.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2023, 10:53:13 am »
Same! Don't get people who write it off, must be entitlement.

Winning it in 2001 was one of my happiest moments as a Liverpool fan, losing it in 2016 felt devastating at the time. That says everything, for me.
Every team is gutted to not win it when they have a realistic chance of doing so. It's a European trophy at the end of the day. The earlier rounds are a bit drab but once you get to the QF, you want to win it.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2023, 10:58:37 am »
Really hope we take it seriously and go all out to win it. 2001 was an incredible memory. Obviously not where we want to be but we have to take it on the chin and get on with the job of winning it. Excited to play some different teams too.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2023, 11:25:53 am »
It gets boring watching the same old teams - even CL teams.

Quite looking forward to this.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2023, 11:34:29 am »
Kloppo's first rise to glory with Liverpool started with a UEFA Cup run. Klopp Liverpool 2.0 wil also do the same. If we win it it will be great for the Liverpool Country
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2023, 11:38:35 am »
To be fair I'd disagree with that, I think you play top teams in the group stages. Europa feels like the FA cup a bit, where things don't really get going until about the quarter final stage.

Barcelona played Man Utd in the first knockout stage, so that's not quite true. Granted, a lot of weaker teams make it through to the knockouts, but we'll need to win our group and get a good draw if we want to play the reserves until the QFs.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2023, 11:44:16 am »
Barcelona played Man Utd in the first knockout stage, so that's not quite true. Granted, a lot of weaker teams make it through to the knockouts, but we'll need to win our group and get a good draw if we want to play the reserves until the QFs.

I mean we played City in the last 16 of the League cup this year, we've played Everton in the 3rd round of the FA cup loads, there's always exceptions, but generally in these competition business just doesn't pick up until  the quarters.

You look at the qualifying round and last 16, other than United/Barca, there weren't many massively compelling games on paper.

It's a competition I really want to win, but also one where I think (decent summer pending) we are going to be disproportionately better than everyone else in it, so have to win it for it to be considered successful

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2023, 01:03:08 pm »
Pleased with this. In January, it looked likely that we would end up in the Conference League or out of Europe altogether, so happy we’ve had a good run of form to end the season.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 01:14:51 pm »
Win it and the league. Wouldn't be a bad season would it?

Of course I/we want to be in the Champions League, but like someone else said, it'll be great to see other teams for once and not the same old sides. A refresh is not the worse thing after the season we've had and should be used as an incentive to perform and get back to where everyone wants to be. Also feel that us being in it elevates the competition as well moreso than any other English team and like was also said, we're already going to be one of, if not the favourites to win it. Should absolutely revel in that.

So for me - Bring it on!! Some of my fondest European memories was from this comp: When we won it against Alaves in the Westfalonstadion after beating Barca in the semis, the comeback win against Dortmund at Anfield as well as beating the mancs last time out in it. Massive plus point as well is that it gives any new signings a little more leeway to settle in rather than have the spotlight of the CL games on them with the weight of expectation that brings. Not saying it's a free run as like I said above, we will be one of the favourites to win it, but I feel we can "enjoy" it more, if you see what I mean? its less pressure nevertheless, whilst acclimatising them to the club. Few more games as well given the format. so squad will benefit greatly.

Last point on it: It's what we're in because our performances this season dictated that's where we finished, so no point moaning about it. Use it as part of any "rebuild" whatever that entails, but ultimately, we got what we deserved. At least it keeps our UEFA co-efficient up for when we get back next year.

And remember: Things could be worse of course... look at Chelsea and Spurs.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2023, 01:22:58 pm »
I have a theory we as a club need a certain type of hunger to win the CL ..and a romantic climb back to the top of Europe...over past five years we became a bit ' enititled' ..I'm hoping a year in EL will reignite that hunger.

Also positives..interesting aways..obscure Albanian teams...also not get fucked for following league games....rest players..gotta have a league challenge next year..not expecting to win..but challenge

also final in Dublin...closest we will get to playing a final in Liverpool..250K+ liverpool fans

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2023, 01:31:51 pm »
Mainly looking forward to not having Napoli in our group. Will be nice/different to play some new teams.

We also played Napoli in preseason friendlies in 18/19 and 19/20. It was like they’re in the PL they number of times we play them.

It’s the one positive to get some variety in opposition and different away trips.

But of course, having said this, this’ll probably mean Napoli/Porto or Real fucking Madrid will somehow drop down to this competition and we’re going to get Brighton in the knockouts.
King Kenny.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2023, 01:35:10 pm »
Few new away trips and a change for Jurgen to complete his collection.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2023, 01:35:43 pm »
Hotel is booked for 2 nights in Dublin.

Up the mighty reds.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2023, 02:46:58 pm »
When is the draw normally guys?
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2023, 02:47:58 pm »
We also played Napoli in preseason friendlies in 18/19 and 19/20. It was like they’re in the PL Brighton or Wolves the number of times we play them.

:D

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2023, 02:50:05 pm »
When is the draw normally guys?

End of August.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 03:03:29 pm »
After old big ears, old no ears is the best looking trophy out there. Let’s win it again, give Jürgen the full set.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2023, 04:01:54 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2023, 04:41:30 pm »
Final is in Dublin and we've already have 3 of these, LET'S FUCKIN' WIN IT!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2023, 04:54:09 pm »
I want Spartak Vladikavkaz (probably unlikely, assume Russian clubs are banned), Slovan Liberec and Olympia Ljubljana.

That goal by Redknapp! Or was that against Alania Vladikavkas?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2023, 10:41:10 pm »
Klopp on the Europa League:

“People will say it’s only the Europa League…but the first whistle…European night…whoever is the opponent, Anfield will be rocking. And that’s all I need.”

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2023, 10:50:14 pm »
Bring it on, had a great trip to Basel via Milan and on the transalpino last time we were in it.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2023, 11:03:45 pm »
Your all welcome to pitch your tent in my back garden for the final
mines a pint

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2023, 11:04:53 pm »
Your all welcome to pitch your tent in my back garden for the final

Is that a euphemism?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2023, 11:34:52 pm »
We’ll be favourites to win it and we should do if we take it seriously in the knockout stages.  The 3 previous times we’ve won this trophy have been some of the best seasons in our history.  League and UEFA double under Shankly in 73, league and UEFA double under Paisley in 76 and the league cup, FA cup and UEFA cup treble under Houllier in 01. 

We’ve always won another trophy alongside this when we’ve won it so I’ll take a league and Europa double next season.  Bring it on. 

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2023, 11:39:50 pm »
Was gonna revive the Dortmund 4-3 thread to remind people that great European nights at Anfield happen regardless of the competition.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2023, 11:45:29 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2023, 12:12:02 am »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2023, 08:12:41 am »

That’s the one I’m thinking of! And McManaman from the bye line. Still in the days of commentary sounding like it was coming down the phone line and a later afternoon kick off

Online Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2023, 10:38:45 am »
I think it’s beautiful trophy to win. I hope we give it everything. The thought of 200k reds in Dublin would be amazing. Long way to get there as the early games will be a slog. But then so is the champions league group stages. Come on red men let’s bring that beautiful trophy back home.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2023, 11:23:57 am »
Hotel is booked for 2 nights in Dublin.

Up the mighty reds.

I'll be hitting up the rellos for some accommodation if we make the final.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline bathoz

• Kopite
  • Wants a showpony.
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2023, 11:48:43 am »
I am unironically so keen for this. Teams we don't usualy play, players who don't usually get to star. A missing trophy.

Plus, the moment my relationship with football went from "I support Liverpool and it's fine" to "I love fucking football" was the Alaves final.

How can you hate this competition?
The opinions related above are in no way to be taken as anything more (or less) than those of an bored mind.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2023, 11:55:01 am »
Fans of clubs with no special relationship with European Football are the only bellends who mock this competition. Theyre either modern-day Sky watching wanksocks or simply don't understand LFCs special relationship with European football. The UEFA Cup is a competition etched into the history of this club. Our first European trophy, under Shanks. My first European winning experience, in 2001. Of COURSE we want to be in the CL, but this is still a bloody good competition and a trophy well worth winning. The 'i'd rather not be in Europe at al' brigade have clearly never been to Anfield on a European night.

Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2023, 12:33:25 pm »

Love this man! Give him a contract for life. (Jurgen not Samie)
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2023, 12:45:36 pm »
Gutted about not being in the CL draw. But at least we finally get to see our youngsters regularly.

New GK
Bradley New CB young CB Tsimikas
Elliott BatchItChet Jones
Doak Nunez Jota
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2023, 12:46:28 pm »
Booked a hotel for me and my lad for the night.

Train down, get pissed, train home on Thursday. What's not to love about that  :scarf
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2023, 01:08:49 pm »
I've said it before, but I'm actually quite looking forward to this UEL campaign. I'm bored of playing the same old shit; Porto, Real, Atletico, Inter etc etc. Yawn. Give me Qarabağ and Dynamo Mogilev!

I think there's sometimes an arrogance when bigger teams that find themselves in the UEL rather than the UCL, but if we have a good summer transfer window (and given recent developments that is a big if) we should really be in a position to get to at least the semi-finals rather easily.

As others have said, it's one Klopp and this group of players need to add to the collection, it's a Dublin Final, and some of our best nights have been in this competition. Let's win it, and then make sure we're qualifying for the other one every year again.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2023, 01:17:09 pm »
Some of the Ireland lads on here are well into their Rugger, they’ll all be able to accommodate us in their town houses a stone’s throw from the Aviva.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2023, 02:03:57 pm »
That’s the one I’m thinking of! And McManaman from the bye line. Still in the days of commentary sounding like it was coming down the phone line and a later afternoon kick off

Yeah ;D Great times (kind of).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2023, 02:19:07 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yECzHnO9F0k
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97