Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 810509 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #11960 on: May 13, 2022, 01:24:01 pm »
If we only win the FA Cup, its probably our 5th best season this century (19/20, 18/19, 05, 00/01 Cup Treble the only seasons ahead of it) and if I'm honest this is the minimum I would have been happy with if asked in January - but I would still be happy for sure.

If we only win the European Cup, its our best season since 85/86. The League Title & FA Cup Double in the 80's was a massive deal (we were only the third team of the century to do it and in those days the FA Cup was a colossal event compared to now), but winning the CL & League Cup surpasses the cup Treble of 2001 especially since we were mediocre in the League itself in 2001.

If we win both (so a cup treble including the League Cup) its our best season since 83/84 which was probably the best season in the club's history.

If we're to win both finals you could make a case for it being the best season in our history. 83/84 probably better even so, but it'd be top 3 without doubt. Wasn't around for that but 2000/01 has been my favourite ever season and if we're to beat Chelsea and then Real Madrid then I suppose it'd be like 2001 on crack considering this time it's the European Cup  ;D

If we can make it a domestic cup double tomorrow then it'll certainly be one of the most memorable seasons we've had. It already is when you consider we've won one cup and are still fighting for three in the middle of May. Ultimately can't help but feel the way we really remember this season will be determined by events in Paris in a couple of weeks time. If you win the Champions League any year it's a 10/10 season in my books, but if we do so having won the League Cup and hopefully the FA Cup tomorrow then it's one for the ages.
Proud Legacy Supporter of Liverpool Soccer Franchiseô

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11961 on: May 13, 2022, 02:32:06 pm »
I would swap the last CL win for the League title a week on Sunday.  In a heartbeat.

I guess that's just me.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11962 on: May 13, 2022, 02:42:50 pm »
I would swap the last CL win for the League title a week on Sunday.  In a heartbeat.

I guess that's just me.

I genuinely think many feel that way only because of the cheating nature of the team we're up against. It would feel incredible but I think when you look back it's the European Cups you will remember the most. Most sides can only dream of getting to one final in Europe. We are about to play our 5th in 17 years and possibly win 3 of them.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11963 on: May 13, 2022, 02:44:13 pm »

I guess that's just me.

Do Fuck Off!

Offline Ravishing Rick Rude

• Cut the music!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11964 on: May 13, 2022, 02:47:01 pm »

I guess that's just me.

No. Champion League all the way.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11965 on: May 13, 2022, 02:47:57 pm »

I guess that's just me.

Ha ha ha ha - turn it in. Nothing - nothing - beats winning a european cup.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11966 on: May 13, 2022, 02:51:43 pm »

I guess that's just me.

even then - you would only be able to talk about it for the same day it happened. No discussion in the future.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #11967 on: May 13, 2022, 02:58:30 pm »
even then - you would only be able to talk about it for the same day it happened. No discussion in the future.

:D
YNWA - JFT97

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11968 on: May 13, 2022, 03:09:22 pm »
13th May and we are still in with a shout of every competition we entered at the start and one in the bag. Outstanding effort from everyone involved.

Offline ToneLa

• The haiku master. Kills it in transfer windows. Keeps the art alive...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED
« Reply #11969 on: May 13, 2022, 03:09:49 pm »
Don't give up yet

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11970 on: May 13, 2022, 03:17:21 pm »
I genuinely think many feel that way only because of the cheating nature of the team we're up against. It would feel incredible but I think when you look back it's the European Cups you will remember the most. Most sides can only dream of getting to one final in Europe. We are about to play our 5th in 17 years and possibly win 3 of them.

Yup. You have to compete for 9 months against a sovereign wealth team that can cherry-pick and buy any players they want, plus their allies in the media, the Premier league and the referring cabal, and who have enough lawyers and money to shut anyone up.

Snatching the title from them on the last day of the season would be epic. Beyond epic. Epicest? 

Now if only there was a team out there that didn't give up after about 20 minutes .   .    .West Ham maybe? Villa, perhaps? Hmmm .    .     .

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
« Reply #11971 on: May 13, 2022, 03:38:15 pm »

I guess that's just me.

Elite sides win european cups not domestic ones.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11972 on: May 13, 2022, 03:59:43 pm »

I guess that's just me.

Yes, I think it may be just you. European cup is by far the most prestigious trophy

Offline ToneLa

• The haiku master. Kills it in transfer windows. Keeps the art alive...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED
« Reply #11973 on: May 13, 2022, 04:08:14 pm »

I guess that's just me.

I mean I'll celebrate that AS WELL

But instead?

Much as I hate them
Real Madrid are real. And all those who came before

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11974 on: May 13, 2022, 08:38:01 pm »
I was thinking today that if West Ham were to spawn a draw (or even a scrappy win) then it would make for a hell of a final day

On the other hand, I don't think I could deal with losing another title by 1 jammy point, or worse, on Goal Difference.

Even if a 7th CL was added to the cabinet, the resentment would probably take years to subside, if ever

Perhaps it's better that City leather West Ham and Villa? Then again how do we know the footballing gods haven't scripted this for Moyes and Gerrard to win us the league?

I honestly don't know any more. It probably sounds like a mad thing to say with 2 finals to come, but I'll be glad when this season is finally over   
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.Ē Ė Napoleon Hill.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11975 on: May 13, 2022, 09:20:12 pm »
I was thinking today that if West Ham were to spawn a draw (or even a scrappy win) then it would make for a hell of a final day

On the other hand, I don't think I could deal with losing another title by 1 jammy point, or worse, on Goal Difference.

Even if a 7th CL was added to the cabinet, the resentment would probably take years to subside, if ever

Perhaps it's better that City leather West Ham and Villa? Then again how do we know the footballing gods haven't scripted this for Moyes and Gerrard to win us the league?

I honestly don't know any more. It probably sounds like a mad thing to say with 2 finals to come, but I'll be glad when this season is finally over   

If they win it would; Iím not really sure a draw would do much.

Iíd expect City to be 3 up at half time if they needed to win the match to win the title.

If we win the European Cup and the FA Cup itís one of the absolute greatest seasons in our history, focus on that rather than things outside of our control.

Iím relatively serene over the league as I was in 18/19, itís just one of them. I get absolutely livid over dropped points when weíre winning 2-0 or whatever, but getting 92 points and not winning the league? Whatever. Thereís so little more that we can do and we all know the reasons why it isnít enough, so as much as Iím angry at the broader picture I canít be arsed letting it get to me. Let the bad twats come up with another cringe worthy song to celebrate their latest Ďsuccessí, weíll send them a baguette back from Paris.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:22:58 pm by Jm55 »

Offline KloppCorn

• Boys Pen
« Reply #11976 on: May 13, 2022, 09:54:35 pm »

I guess that's just me.
itís interesting because Iím the same but CL is my best memory of my life sporting wise so canít down play now number 7  8)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11977 on: May 13, 2022, 10:18:19 pm »
Winning the league only qualifies you for the European cup. That's why it's the biggest trophy.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #11978 on: May 13, 2022, 11:33:43 pm »
If City win on Sunday, the league is over bar something absurd and completely unprecedented in football history. ie us winning final two games by 8+ goals and City losing at home to a mediocre Villa side on the beach. In this case we rotate heavily on Tue and focus 100% on the two cup finals. THIS sort of heavily:

Kelleher

Gomez   Konate    VVD    Tsimikas

Eliott      Milner    Jones

Minamino  Firmino  Origi

If City draw, then Goal difference basically stops being a thing since in reality the only way we we win the league is with 2 wins and another City draw or loss. We need to get across the line in anyway possible against Southampton so that means 5-6 starters from the Cup final going again on Tue.

If City lose on Sunday, then we potentially have it in our own hands with 2 large wins in our final two games. In this case I would throw caution to the wind against Southampton and play a 4-2-3-1 with front 7 something like this:

Henderson    Thiago

Salah     Firmino      Diaz

Mane

A City loss on Sunday followed by a 5-0 win over Southampton would make the final day VERY interesting IMO.

If West Ham win then I'd go with

Allison

Van Dijk

Alexander Arnold    Robertson

Origi Mane Salah, Minimino Firmino Diaz Jota

Virgil can handle anything and the back and let the full backs stay up with the rest
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11979 on: May 14, 2022, 12:25:08 am »
Seven . . . is the magic number

This is what Kenneth is thinking.

And this is what he deserves. No 7 All The Way.

A massive tribute to the man with dignity through the hardest times.
Dalglish 7 on the back of my new shirt, that's what I want.

The Run In is outta our hands (as it stands) but we'll see how it falls . . . .

No 7 is up to us. Real dont matter.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #11980 on: May 14, 2022, 04:24:54 am »
If they win it would; Iím not really sure a draw would do much.

A draw puts massive pressure on them final day. Say theyíre 1-1 at 70 and weíre 3-0 up? Thatís when they capitulate.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Egyptian36

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11981 on: May 14, 2022, 05:58:09 am »

For me this current team breaking the 30 years wait is enough. We are competing against cheats, a small club with no global fanbase or history suddenly becoming the most revenue generating club in the world ahead of Real, LFC , Utd and Bayern with the Premier League blessings. The board of City are giving the UK government £10 billion over the next five years thru Mubadala company, soon Newcastle owners will do the same. They are whoring this competition to the highest bidders and no doubt soon we will see Qatar coming to the EPL too.

Online scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #11982 on: May 14, 2022, 06:57:17 am »
7-0 WHU tomorrow. You heard it here first. Put a cheeky £10 on that 

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11983 on: May 14, 2022, 07:30:52 am »
A draw puts massive pressure on them final day. Say theyíre 1-1 at 70 and weíre 3-0 up? Thatís when they capitulate.

I get where youíre coming from, but thatís the exact position they were in against Brighton in 2019 who were probably of a similar level to Villa currently. They were 1-0 then absolutely battered them.

If they got to 70 1-0 down or something then yeah, it puts huge pressure on them but the issue is I canít see it getting that far.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #11984 on: May 14, 2022, 08:17:19 am »
It ain't over until its over. If City lose points on Sunday, we're still in with a shout.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SK8 Red

• Main Stander
  • Supporting since 1983 at a guess
« Reply #11985 on: May 14, 2022, 09:03:46 am »
Can we have a temporary ban for anyone who uses "City" and "deserved"  in the same sentence?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11986 on: May 14, 2022, 09:23:18 am »
Can we have a temporary ban for anyone who uses "City" and "deserved"  in the same sentence?

What about City deserved to be booted out the league?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11987 on: May 14, 2022, 09:52:46 am »
What about City deserved to be booted out the league?

That I am on board with.

They deserve zero success, the cheating fuckers.

Offline PaulF

• -.-- -. .-- .-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #11988 on: May 14, 2022, 10:15:50 am »
I don't think we're winning, but I'd rather win the league that the CL. I might feel differently if I had tickets to the final or it meant city winning the CL.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11989 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:33 pm »

City will have hated today.

Their back line decimated and a horrible away game against a team that will want to win and a full stadium of loud Cockneys. It couldnít happen could it?

Would be simply incredible if it was all to play for on the final day.

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
« Reply #11990 on: May 14, 2022, 10:17:44 pm »
Any loss tomorrow, pep will blame us for winning the cup. He will say LFC winning cups demoralizing

Offline farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11991 on: May 14, 2022, 10:26:56 pm »
Tomorrow the PL run-in will be Ironed out.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11992 on: May 14, 2022, 10:31:16 pm »
Kids and any rusty first teamers that need minutes v Southampton hopefully. Feels like we are on the verge of ending up missing half our team v Real if it carries on like this though the news seems positive so far luckily.

Offline farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11993 on: May 14, 2022, 10:33:35 pm »
Kids and any rusty first teamers that need minutes v Southampton hopefully. Feels like we are on the verge of ending up missing half our team v Real if it carries on like this though the news seems positive so far luckily.
Would you say the same if the Hammers win tomorrow?

Offline PeterTheRed

• Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11994 on: May 14, 2022, 10:38:04 pm »

Depends on Man City's result tomorrow ...

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
« Reply #11995 on: May 14, 2022, 10:39:50 pm »
Fuck madrid.

If west ham win tomorrow, we have to go with first 11

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11996 on: May 14, 2022, 10:41:21 pm »

I'd have to see if I got giddy tomorrow but now I'd say so yeah, I don't believe there's any chance Villa get something on the final day so we'd be down to chasing some mental goal difference which would just exhaust an already exhausted team.

Online duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11997 on: May 14, 2022, 10:43:25 pm »
I think Iíd probably still be tempted to go with players who didnít play the majority of todays game regardless of tomorrows result. We have to believe in the squad and more or less everyone who played today will be shattered.

Could still put out something like

Alisson, Gomez, Konate, Matip, Tsimikas, Milner, Ox, Jones, Jota, Firmino, Origi. Think we just need to forget about goals and win our games and see where that leaves us
ď When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happyí. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11998 on: May 14, 2022, 10:44:02 pm »
ido we go all out and try to stuff southampton 7 0?

can we do it?   not sure we are clinical enough lately.  will depend on how city get on v west ham i guess.

Offline farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11999 on: May 14, 2022, 10:59:13 pm »
ido we go all out and try to stuff southampton 7 0?

can we do it?   not sure we are clinical enough lately.  will depend on how city get on v west ham i guess.
Maybe. A while back I argued that there is a strong likelihood that the title may be decided by goal difference and the vast majority disagreed. If City lose tomorrow and we stuff Southampton even with 3-5 goals, we may be in a good position for the last game even if we trail in goal difference by a goal or two.

It ain't over yet. Imagine City losing tomorrow, they will panic against Villa. Two draws are not out of the realm of possibilities either.