Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1047322 times)

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
Lineker to Rio: Are you pleased for them [LFC]?

Rio: They deserved to win.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He was at it all game, calling players by their first name, 'Dele's playing well, causing Trent problems on the left'. I'm not a huge of it North.

Watched the highlights back last night and this is the first thing I noticed. Really pissed me off after a few minutes.

I can’t stand Jenas at the best of times. I’ve heard his show on 5live on a Friday when driving home from work and he constantly feels he has to say something extreme to make himself sound clever and he just sounds like a twat.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
The absolute bitterness from Michael Brown on The Football Daily is glorious :lmao
AHA!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The absolute bitterness from Michael Brown on The Football Daily is glorious :lmao

Share a link when you can. ;D

I will say, I do like the fact that BT have let Jurgen off with his potty mouth a few times.  He did it again after the game and once again Lineker refused to apologise.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think overall Lineker has been OK with us especially given he played for Barca and Spurs. I was too happy to be upset with Hoddle, then again I didn't watch the HT coverage, but I just ignored him. He was obviously gutted though, he probably thought the stars had aligned for them.

I know a few mentioned it in the parade thread, but Whelen pissed me off. He's got form for it too as he was snide about Rafa. Going on about the need to win more trophies, especially domestic ones without putting into context how the landscape has changed was pathetic. Was impressed with McAteer, though, spoke well and showed he understands that the climate is very different from Whelen's day.

We have enough articulate ex reds, so why LFCTV have to use the likes of Whelen is beyond me. The only excuse is that he was about tenth pick.

Online LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Definitely Jenas

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I had 5 Live on yesterday and there was a journo on there sounding bitter as anything about how we weren’t the best side in England and how City had dominated the season. Kevin Garside I think? Didn’t bother me, just enjoying the fine really. :D

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
Just watched some highlights on BT Sport.

Christ alive, Darren Fletcher is awful isn’t he? Sounds as if he’s about to slit his wrists that we won. TV never gets it right or provides it with any sense of occasion - only Clive Tyldsleys commentary in Istanbul lives in the memory.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think overall Lineker has been OK with us especially given he played for Barca and Spurs. I was too happy to be upset with Hoddle, then again I didn't watch the HT coverage, but I just ignored him. He was obviously gutted though, he probably thought the stars had aligned for them.

I know a few mentioned it in the parade thread, but Whelen pissed me off. He's got form for it too as he was snide about Rafa. Going on about the need to win more trophies, especially domestic ones without putting into context how the landscape has changed was pathetic. Was impressed with McAteer, though, spoke well and showed he understands that the climate is very different from Whelen's day.

We have enough articulate ex reds, so why LFCTV have to use the likes of Whelen is beyond me. The only excuse is thathe was about tenth pick.

McMahon , Whelan & McMananan don't come across well on TV
,quite bitter in fact .Barnes, McAteer and Fowler are decent though.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

McMahon , Whelan & McMananan don't come across well on TV
,quite bitter in fact .Barnes, McAteer and Fowler are decent though.

Fowler’s great, he’s exactly what I want from an ex player  ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Lineker to Rio: Are you pleased for them [LFC]?

Rio: They deserved to win.

They play on the used to play for United thing far too much, they are supposed to be impartial (I know that's not easy), but it's a bit of a stupid question, we have that enough with Neville and Carragher.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

Christ alive, Darren Fletcher is awful isn’t he? Sounds as if he’s about to slit his wrists that we won. TV never gets it right or provides it with any sense of occasion - only Clive Tyldsleys commentary in Istanbul lives in the memory.

BT Sport coverage was awful, it was more like THFC TV. :butt
#Sausages

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
I switched to watching the final in Arabic (Obs didn't understand a single word) because I couldn't tolerate that pinhead prick Jenas anymore. What a terrible 'commentator'. Fletcher didn't come across as partial but he was dull as hell, which surprised me because he's normally quite alright. The most irritating thing about his commentary is how he offers no insight, no background, no stories, no conversation. Just reels off the players' names as they get the ball. What the shit is that all about?

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Has Danny Mills made any comment on number 6 or is he staying somewhere around Beachy Head?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
BT Sport have Peter Drury on the books and he's constantly ignored for Darren Fletcher. What the fuck is going on there? The only time they ever use Drury is when there's a bunch of games on at the same time. Was hoping he'd be on BeIn Sport but they had David fucking Pleat :lmao

I then found out they used Drury commentary on the closing credits. Just use him for the actual game!!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Don't disagree. He's lost his head because his team have lost and he's upset, and he's talking bollocks as a result (although he's being paid by a private company so I don't really care; different story if he was on the BBC). He's had a nightmare, but I just don't see Glenn Hoddle being salty as something to get worked up by, especially on a night like this.  :)
Am I getting him mixed up with the guy that was sacked as England manager for saying disability was God's punishment for sins in a previous life. And Eileen.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
BT Sport coverage was awful, it was more like THFC TV. :butt

I watched it back. Hoddle understandably going to be sour grapes, but I thought Ferdinand was on point.

I realise he’s never going to want us to win (at least he doesn’t hide it behind some faux passive aggressive analysis) but he just laid out the facts whether he liked it or not.

Lineker was alright post match, seemed to get a sense of the occasion but focusing purely on Liverpool’s success and Klopp’s transformation of us. Understandably, probably wanted Spurs to win but he was professional.

Owen was alright I thought.

The commentary team just adds nothing though. Jeans and McManaman never say anything interesting. Fletcher, while my post above is a bit riled up and over sensitive, seems hellbent on wanting Spurs to score for the sake of Hollywood drama. Thing is, he never had any back up or any narrative once his wish wasn’t forthcoming - he never grasped the significance of the occasion for Liverpool winning it. No context to his commentary, he only ever purely describes what happens on the field.

Drury would be fine, and why not just get Ally McCoist commentating (he only gets the low grade Champions League matches on BT Sport).

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Has Danny Mills made any comment on number 6 or is he staying somewhere around Beachy Head?

Not that I’m aware of.  We all know what he’ll say when he finally emerges from his grief hole.

“It wasn’t a penalty.”.
“Spurs deserved to win”.
“Kane felt a touch and have every right to go down, it’s a penalty for me”.
“Klopp was out of order holding that trophy above his head like that.  The Spanish police should have arrested him.”

Offline Redknight60

• Main Stander
I dream of a day when there are no pundits or commentators. Broadcast starts with the players coming out and only crowd noise for the game.

Halftime, they can show highlights of other games.

Hell I'd rather watch some kids take penalties at halftime over listening to pundits. If I want to listen to clueless punditry il do it with my mates at the pub.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Max Rushden is fucking terrible. Proper "banter" style of presenter who thinks he's funny for some reason, but that's hardly surprising considering he used to present Soccer AM. I no longer listen to Guardian Football Weekly due to him. Makes you realise how boss James Richardson is.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
Max Rushden is fucking terrible. Proper "banter" style of presenter who thinks he's funny for some reason, but that's hardly surprising considering he used to present Soccer AM. I no longer listen to Guardian Football Weekly due to him. Makes you realise how boss James Richardson is.

I'm not a massive fan of The Football Ramble but there's an interview from their Ramble Meets series with Max Rushden and it's really good.

I think he's changed a lot of people's minds about him since taking over Football Weekly.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I dream of a day when there are no pundits or commentators. Broadcast starts with the players coming out and only crowd noise for the game.

Halftime, they can show highlights of other games.

Hell I'd rather watch some kids take penalties at halftime over listening to pundits. If I want to listen to clueless punditry il do it with my mates at the pub.

In the 00s, SKY used to have a no commentary option on the red button, SKY also used to have fanzone which was better than listening to the commentary, fanzone was 2 fans of the clubs playing, fanzone could quite amusing, especially when we won 4-1 at a certain ground. ;)
#Sausages

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan

Darren Fletcher is a phenomenally boring commentator. I never feel a sense of occasion, achievement or excitement whenever he's commentating, it's all just a bit nondescript. Same applies to Ian Darke.

BT's entire commentary team just needs a massive overhaul to be honest.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Complete opposite to my thoughts

Total Football Show is regularly dreadful and lifeless, and I feel James Richardson can't be bothered with football anymore. Used to be that I couldn't stand Max when he was filling in for James and would constantly revel in the fact that people didn't like him, but he's grown a lot as a presenter and is one of the better ones now

Judging from the way Max tells it in his Ramble Meets interview, the way TFS came about was underhanded as fuck as well.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2019, 12:55:06 am by rowan_d »

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
Share a link when you can. ;D

I will say, I do like the fact that BT have let Jurgen off with his potty mouth a few times.  He did it again after the game and once again Lineker refused to apologise.
https://player.fm/series/football-daily/liverpool-paint-the-town-red-after-champions-league-win
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan

He's improved slightly since all that banter shite on Soccer AM, but I can understand your feeling on it. Just think he's so 'meh' to be honest. Not offensively awful, just absolutely beige, and I can't understand how he's had so high-profile a broadcasting career.

I've totally stopped listening to the Guardian podcast since he took it over, because basically I don't think he knows much about football and certainly don't think he's anywhere near as funny as he thinks. Went back to it for the world cup last year cos there was a show every day, and remembered again why I stopped. Him and Glendenning are a proper pair of (as Mourinho might say) 'football einsteins'.

He also couldn't be more from 'the Saaf' if he tried.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2019, 07:05:16 am by decosabute »

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not a massive fan of The Football Ramble but there's an interview from their Ramble Meets series with Max Rushden and it's really good.

I think he's changed a lot of people's minds about him since taking over Football Weekly.

Speaking of football ramble as well, can't really understand how it's so popular either. Gave it a listen a little while cos so many recommend it, but just thought it felt like a bunch of people I wouldn't want to spend time with cackling at each other's unfunny humor. The whole thing came across like an in-joke that I wasn't really in on, being pushed by lads who I'm sure have been described as "awfully nice chaps", but who I thought sounded like bells.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.

I watched the repeat of the game the other night on LFCTV and McAteer welling up throughout the post match stuff was really emotional.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
In the 00s, SKY used to have a no commentary option on the red button, SKY also used to have fanzone which was better than listening to the commentary, fanzone was 2 fans of the clubs playing, fanzone could quite amusing, especially when we won 4-1 at a certain ground. ;)

i remember fanzone that. I am not that old am i?

the liverpool supporter with an afro. Would love for them to bring it back again. at least 2 proper fans without any agenda just taking the piss out of each other.

i think i watched the whole of the final without any sound or commentary. Makes watching the games much more enjoyable rather then endless rambling and empty content which pundits/commentary just spew for drama without any context.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
On The Continent is really good with the overseas correspondents I think, although the presenter can be quite annoying with poor banter at times.

Is James Richardson's podcast worth listening to (The Totally Football Show) - definitely miss him on Guardian Weekly? Looking for anything to pour over in the wake of number 6!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Thought all the podcasts about the final were pretty poor

Football Weekly, Totally Football Show, Second Captains and the Football Ramble. None of them went into much detail about anything, most of it spent moaning about the quality of the match. The semis were treated with more gravitas, seperate from them being better matches.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan

Football Weekly, Totally Football Show, Second Captains and the Football Ramble. None of them went into much detail about anything, most of it spent moaning about the quality of the match. The semis were treated with more gravitas, seperate from them being better matches.

Listen to Graham Hunter’s review of the match in The Big Interview. He is top top quality and was very perceptive about things in the final I never realised (a fascinating segment on how Pochettino didn’t read the game that well compared to Jurgen) and always embeds his opinion in context and fact, and is never ill informed.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Jose Mourinho is actually good pundit when he's not being a wind up merchant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wHqOcgG9mM
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Martin Tyler should considering retiring, can't wait to have a snide pop at any of our players, had the cheek to ask if TAA is good enough at international level. :butt
#Sausages

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Gary Birtles has to be considered for this prize. He sucks the life out of any match he co-commentates with his incessant whining and criticism.  :no

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight

Had to turn off Totally Football, I found it to be really downbeat. Sure the game itself was poor but it's still a final, I think at times they try to be too clever for their own good.

By contrast I thought Football Weekly was pretty good. Max Rushden is a great host.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Lots of interesting shouts here, due to the sheer amount of bellendery in punditry. But of course, when it comes down to it the answer to the question can only ever be either Richard Keys or Danny Mills. They are so far ahead in utter cuntishness that they've lapped the world more times than Superman when his bird got smoothied
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Lots of interesting shouts here, due to the sheer amount of bellendery in punditry. But of course, when it comes down to it the answer to the question can only ever be either Richard Keys or Danny Mills. They are so far ahead in utter cuntishness that they've lapped the world more times than Superman when his bird got smoothied

No mention of Richard Keys is complete without a mention of this infamous tweet of his.

:lmao
#Sausages

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Martin Tyler should considering retiring, can't wait to have a snide pop at any of our players, had the cheek to ask if TAA is good enough at international level. :butt

At this point, they should be pushing him out if he won't voluntarily retire, so far past it even if you ignore his idiotic levels of bias.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
At this point, they should be pushing him out if he won't voluntarily retire, so far past it even if you ignore his idiotic levels of bias.

I think he’ll be worse for our games next season now we’ve won the European cup again.