Author Topic: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool  (Read 72846 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool
« Reply #240 on: March 2, 2021, 05:12:02 am »
We all just need to be a tiny bit more patient. I get that's difficult in this season when everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, but I have every confidence he'll come through and play games before the end of the season.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #241 on: March 4, 2021, 11:16:39 pm »
Does anyone know what's going on with him? Is he injured? Is he shite and Klopp doesn't rate him? Does he even play CB?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: March 4, 2021, 11:18:17 pm »
Caulker/Salif Diao/Patrice Luiz v2?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 4, 2021, 11:18:54 pm »
Will be sold in the summer for a profit.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #244 on: March 4, 2021, 11:22:18 pm »
So rumours were correct he was just a cover in case the Kabak last minute transfer fell through.

Probably won’t get a game for LFC.

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 4, 2021, 11:23:21 pm »
Does this man exist? Or is he a actor we hired to pretend we signed someone.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #246 on: March 4, 2021, 11:25:31 pm »
I think like tsmikas he had only one training session and klopp won't pick you unless have two back to back
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 4, 2021, 11:26:44 pm »
So rumours were correct he was just a cover in case the Kabak last minute transfer fell through.

Probably won’t get a game for LFC.

Would like to see him once at least!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #248 on: March 4, 2021, 11:26:47 pm »
I think like tsmikas he had only one training session and klopp won't pick you unless have two back to back

So why not... Give him two?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 4, 2021, 11:30:03 pm »
So why not... Give him two?

Made me laugh that.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Kasper

• Main Stander
  • Bonjour mon petit bureau de change.
« Reply #250 on: March 4, 2021, 11:50:37 pm »
Just keep in mind that we bought Robbo from Championship bound Hull, and he hardly got a game the first six months at the club when he was backup for Moreno at left back. Anything can happen.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 5, 2021, 12:18:30 am »
Just keep in mind that we bought Robbo from Championship bound Hull, and he hardly got a game the first six months at the club when he was backup for Moreno at left back. Anything can happen.

Robbo’s break came because of an injury to Moreno, who was playing quite well at the time. In terms of getting a break, Davies will unlikely get an opportunity again where 3 of the 4 defenders ahead of him are injured.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: March 5, 2021, 12:28:32 am »

But that's the key isn't it - Robbo *had* been playing in the PL (and standing out - was 1 of the better LBs in the division despite playing for Hull), was only 23, had 15 caps for Scotland, was very highly rated - and then had a full pre-season under normal circumstances, AND then had the luxury of having 4 months to learn whilst the only other LB at the club, someone who was clearly out the door at the end of the season, was playing

Whereas with Davies was 25.5 (so 2 and a half years older), was a bog standard Championship player that even the rest of the Championship sides were hardly looking at, has never even got close to even any age group football for his country, and was bought in the middle of a covid hit season to basically make up some numbers, and potentially given the odd minute to help rest the 5th, 6th and 7th choice CB options ahead of him - and in a position we have 2/3 (if you think we will keep Matip and not go for someone else to replace him in the pecking order) CBs coming back in the summer, as well as a much better, much more highly rated youngster we have on loan who was signed alongside him (that we could easily make permanent in the summer if his promise does shine through)

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 5, 2021, 02:06:11 am »
Does anyone know what's going on with him? Is he injured? Is he shite and Klopp doesn't rate him? Does he even play CB?

I guess he's injured. We had two goalies on the bench on the weekend - that's not happening if he is fit to play.

That said I think it is pretty clear he was signed as emergency cover and is behind Kabak and Phillips in the pecking order. I guess he was brought in to take the strain off Williams who was starting to look like a bit of a rabbit in the headlights.

Offline Knickers

• Dreams about being fisted by Thiago, followed by a good bone rattling.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #254 on: March 5, 2021, 03:05:11 am »
Hopefully we get to see him soon, if only to add some excitement to this dismal run.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #255 on: March 5, 2021, 08:37:46 am »
Hopefully we get to see him soon, if only to add some excitement to this dismal run.
If we’re relying on a 25 year old journeyman back-up defender from Preston to provide the excitement, things are worse than I thought  ;D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #256 on: March 5, 2021, 09:00:01 am »
Matip, Van Dijk, Gomez, Henderson, Phillips, Davies and Fabinho (who was really rushed back last night after another month out).

How can 7 of your main 8 CB options be injured? How has Kabak managed to avoid an injury for the month he's been here?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: March 5, 2021, 09:01:54 am »
Wonder if there's some clause that he'll head back to Preston once our CB issue concludes. Or maybe we're hanging out for an offer from Celtic at the end of the season. Now looking like a bit of an odd signing to be honest.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 5, 2021, 09:06:39 am »
Wonder if there's some clause that he'll head back to Preston once our CB issue concludes. Or maybe we're hanging out for an offer from Celtic at the end of the season. Now looking like a bit of an odd signing to be honest.

It'd be more odd if he'd been an unused sub every game. He must just be injured.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: March 5, 2021, 01:41:25 pm »
If he doesn't play against Fulham, it's basically over for him here.

Profoundly strange signing.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 5, 2021, 01:42:45 pm »

:thumbsup exciting indeed!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 5, 2021, 01:46:16 pm »

It's over for someone we signed a few weeks ago ? 

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #262 on: March 5, 2021, 01:48:47 pm »

No, of course it isn't. What the fucking hell is wrong with you? And the rest of the whinging fannies?

Can't believe the whiny entitlement and demands for instant gratification among the modern fanbase. Have some patience. He'll play when he's deemed ready to, not before, no matter how much people shout and scream and demand it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: March 5, 2021, 01:54:36 pm »
Matip, Van Dijk, Gomez, Henderson, Phillips, Davies and Fabinho (who was really rushed back last night after another month out).

How can 7 of your main 8 CB options be injured? How has Kabak managed to avoid an injury for the month he's been here?

Well that's that question answered.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 5, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »
It's over for someone we signed a few weeks ago ?

He'll be sold in the summer at a small profit. He looks like a hedge if the Kabak didn't work out. The signing generally looks really pointless if he can't get ahead of Phillips in the midst of an injury crisis. This isn't about "easing someone in" - Kabak wasn't "eased in," for instance.

No, of course it isn't. What the fucking hell is wrong with you? And the rest of the whinging fannies?

Can't believe the whiny entitlement and demands for instant gratification among the modern fanbase. Have some patience. He'll play when he's deemed ready to, not before, no matter how much people shout and scream and demand it.

Nothing about entitlement or instant gratification, as I had no expectations from his signing whatsoever. Again, if he can't get ahead of Phillips, what was the point of us signing him? It looks like another Caulker signing.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #265 on: March 5, 2021, 02:14:14 pm »
Well that's that question answered.

Famous last words.

I'm looking forward to seeing Davies play.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #266 on: March 5, 2021, 02:30:05 pm »
Why are people writing him off without seeing him play and saying he has been left out of match day squads ? He has had two small injuries since he joined which ruled him out two games and then klopp
Won't pick you on Back of one training session . Which is why he wasn't in squad last night .  We will need 5 centre backs next season he will get plenty games left and centre Back in the cups .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #267 on: March 5, 2021, 02:30:28 pm »
He'll be sold in the summer at a small profit. He looks like a hedge if the Kabak didn't work out. The signing generally looks really pointless if he can't get ahead of Phillips in the midst of an injury crisis. This isn't about "easing someone in" - Kabak wasn't "eased in," for instance.
Despite their ages Kabak is the more senior centre back in terms of top flight experience, that's why he has been parachuted straight in, and even that is due to the injury crisis. There's no mystery.

Nothing about entitlement or instant gratification, as I had no expectations from his signing whatsoever. Again, if he can't get ahead of Phillips, what was the point of us signing him? It looks like another Caulker signing.
It is entitlement/gratification, though, because what you're essentially saying is that because we signed him you want to see him asap, and if you don't then you are going start reading his last rites and claiming it's 'over' for him. It's ridiculous.

None of us have any idea what the situation is, regarding fitness/injury, learning the system, learning his tactical role, how he combines in training with other players etc. It's not unknown for some players under Kloipp to take time before they are introduced, whereas others go straight in. The manager will have his own criteria for this - which is not one you or I know. Have some patience.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #268 on: March 5, 2021, 02:31:18 pm »

How do you even write that...and then hit post, without thinking how utterly ridiculous it is?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 5, 2021, 02:34:55 pm »
Is it not obvious what his role here is though? He is a back up. Option and that's it. He is below Phillips in the pecking order

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 5, 2021, 02:40:48 pm »
I've not really seen him play, but he's had a good write up from several. He seems a good buy, even just for a squad option.

The issue now would be throwing someone in at the deep end, into a mess of a team with no confidence and defending a high line etc. We'll have no choice but to do that (although we can defend differently) but it's not ideal terms for the player.

We're not an easy team to play centre back for. It's one thing pitching up at somewhere like Everton where it's backs to the wall defending with a low block.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: March 5, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
Is it not obvious what his role here is though? He is a back up. Option and that's it. He is below Phillips in the pecking order

I reckon he's seen as on a similar level as Philips, perhaps Klopp sees that heäs on another level than Nat but he's completely new to our ways of playing and Nat has done fairly well this season so it's easier to pick him than Davies, so far.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 5, 2021, 03:40:15 pm »

But you have absolutely no idea what level each payer was at in terms of how Klopp wants them to play. Maybe Kabak adapted quicker to what Klopp wants. Maybe his time in Germany and games there he played a role or style that was closer to what Davies played for at Preston. We dont know. You may be right and he may move on who knows, but its unfair to call time on his career here after a few weeks

Offline Knickers

• Dreams about being fisted by Thiago, followed by a good bone rattling.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #273 on: March 5, 2021, 05:48:12 pm »
If we’re relying on a 25 year old journeyman back-up defender from Preston to provide the excitement, things are worse than I thought  ;D
I'll take whatever I can get this season  :D

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 5, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
It'd be more odd if he'd been an unused sub every game. He must just be injured.

Certainly hope so. Hopefully few more training sessions under his belt and we'll see him on the pitch

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #275 on: March 5, 2021, 10:10:03 pm »
How do you even write that...and then hit post, without thinking how utterly ridiculous it is?

Any chance you could just add to the debate instead of just sarcastically admonishing other posters.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #276 on: March 5, 2021, 10:11:14 pm »
Klopp has made it clear that he was only going to integrate one centre back into the system and that happened to be Kabak.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 5, 2021, 10:15:48 pm »

Disagree on both points.

On point one - he may not have the adjustment to the style or the stamina Klopp wants just yet. That lad we got from Hull the other year barely played ahead of Moreno a few years ago at full back.

On the second - in some respects its strange - in others, we had literally nobody left at the back. Buying two players in one day wasn't a Dudek/Kirkland style mishap, it was literally essential. If we'd had £150m we'd probably have got Upamecano and Koulibaly, we had about £8.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: March 6, 2021, 12:45:30 am »
Disagree on both points.

On point one - he may not have the adjustment to the style or the stamina Klopp wants just yet. That lad we got from Hull the other year barely played ahead of Moreno a few years ago at full back.

On the second - in some respects its strange - in others, we had literally nobody left at the back. Buying two players in one day wasn't a Dudek/Kirkland style mishap, it was literally essential. If we'd had £150m we'd probably have got Upamecano and Koulibaly, we had about £8.

Why was it essential - given we had Phillips, who looked a lot more accomplished than most thought he would, Fabinho/Henderson could play their - and the season was 3 months left.  Many on here have hit the nail on head regarding signing Kabak for the future, hoping he would come good and we'd like him enough to spend the 18m on him, and then signing Davies in case the loan deal fell through at the 11th hour, as a cheap, he can be 5th choice for the rest of the season whilst VVD/Gomez/Matip are injured if Kabak comes, and then if Kabak really doesn't work out, and he has an ok pre-season, he can provide competition with young Rhys for a backup spot next season

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #279 on: March 6, 2021, 12:56:57 am »
Disagree on both points.

Funnily enough Kabak needed zero adjusting to a completely new system in a alien country.