Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 450368 times)

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #2200 on: August 19, 2019, 08:25:24 am »
Only 3 games in, apparently Adrian didn't think he would be playing in the super cup final.

It's a long way till the end of the season. Who knows what part he will play.

One thing I am sure of klopp doesn't buy players just to warm the bench.
Why was my post deleted?

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2201 on: August 19, 2019, 11:44:27 am »
He hardly played at the beginning of last season either but came in to the team more regularly in Autumn/Winter time.  It will probably be the same this season.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:07 pm »
Or maybe the reason he wasnt playing much was because he was not 100% fit. He was sent home from the swiss national team at the international break. I dont think we thought he was fit enough to play expect for a short spells otherwise he probably plays more.
He also this year came back at the same time as keita and salah, plus he coming back from an injury.

That and for most of the season we had a settled team out there that didn't really need him.  Barca aside, where we clearly had other options who had more playing time under their belt.

We've got a strong enough second string with Shaq and a few others to have a real crack in the early rounds of the cups, as long as we're not cursed with some stupidly difficult draws again.  Reckon we'll see Ox feature a lot in those games to.  Klopp will want to manage his stamina as well as his confidence but it's an ideal opportunity for him to regain match fitness.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2203 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:01 pm »
Do find it a bit strange we haven't seen much of him this whole calendar year really. He's had a few injuries here and there and maybe finding it tougher to do what's asked of a Klopp midfielder? Not sure.

But he does have an eye for a pass (and goal) so that is always a good option to have off the bench

As a starter, think he's quite low in the pecking order but who knows how this season will unfold
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #2204 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:37 pm »
I thought he should have at least featured because of the circumstances and timing of Wednesday's game, I said the same about Lallana, I was surprised one of them at least wasn't involved.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:29 pm »
He will most likely feature in our domestic cup games.
Believer

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #2206 on: August 19, 2019, 01:21:43 pm »
He'll get his chance but will have to bide his time. With Ox being reintegrated and Naby returning and needing minutes, his best shot would be getting minutes in a wide role to rest Mane/Mo. Our squad is very deep at the minute and Divock, Shaq, Lallana, Brewster, 1 of Gomez/Matip + 3 out of Fabi/Hendo/Milner/Gini/Naby/Ox will all not be in the starting XI. Atleast one would not even make the bench.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: August 19, 2019, 01:28:47 pm »
He'll get his chance but will have to bide his time. With Ox being reintegrated and Naby returning and needing minutes, his best shot would be getting minutes in a wide role to rest Mane/Mo. Our squad is very deep at the minute and Divock, Shaq, Lallana, Brewster, 1 of Gomez/Matip + 3 out of Fabi/Hendo/Milner/Gini/Naby/Ox will all not be in the starting XI. Atleast one would not even make the bench.

to be fair, In each of the positions he can play, there are at least 2-3 others who can play the role and are perhaps just as fancied if not more fancied by the manager. He's effectively competing with 5-6 players for a starting spot for at most 2 roles in the team.  I think he's going to have to be satisfied with being that super sub and playing in cup games here and there, unless there are significant injuries.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2208 on: August 19, 2019, 01:37:14 pm »
He's alright. I think people went a bit overboard over a few performances last season. For where we are as a club, it makes sense that someone of his talent struggles to get a game, which shows how far we have come.

This.

It's not a problem. It's a byproduct of the team we have now. We have to get used to the fact that youth players we may like or fringe players we may like may not get a lot of opportunity as our starters keep fit and keep playing at their high standards.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2209 on: August 19, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
The changing of the shape seems to be the issue. Why would we tweak it that much just to accommodate him? I don’t know if his lack of pace, but Klopp really doesn’t seem to view him as a like for like replace for Salah or Mane. The only time I can remember him starting in a front three was against Chelsea in the League Cup and against Barcelona at Anfield out of necessity.

Square Cuboid Peg, round hole?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2210 on: August 20, 2019, 01:26:20 am »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: August 30, 2019, 05:03:26 pm »
Almost all of his minutes last season came when Klopp switched to 4-2-3-1 from October to January last year.

In a 4-3-3, he's sort of caught in a halfway house. He doesn't have the pace to play wide forward in the front 3 and he doesnt have the tactical discipline to play in a midfield 3.

So unless there's another formation change this season or injuries, I don't see where his game time comes.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2214 on: August 30, 2019, 05:10:49 pm »
https://twitter.com/jamespearcelfc/status/1167456550178500611?s=21

He'd be better off getting some minutes for Switzerland. I wonder if he's pissed with them over his injury.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2215 on: August 30, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »
Almost all of his minutes last season came when Klopp switched to 4-2-3-1 from October to January last year.

In a 4-3-3, he's sort of caught in a halfway house. He doesn't have the pace to play wide forward in the front 3 and he doesnt have the tactical discipline to play in a midfield 3.

So unless there's another formation change this season or injuries, I don't see where his game time comes.

He has as much and as little as Firmino, depending on whether you think Firmino is slow or fast.

And tactical indiscipline is tactical indiscipline either way, regardless of formation :D

And we play a 1-4-2-3-1 shape most games anyway, so it's more a matter of what his defined role is. Our shape changes according to the lineup. It's quite adaptable from game to game, which is great as it stops the opposition from planning properly for how we'll play.

I think Klopp just likes having his best team together as much as possible, and that doesn't include Shaq for now. When it comes to like-for-like subs, I don't know where Shaqiri fits in as a like-for-like replacement. Maybe Ox, but he's fit and raring to go, and has Henderson and Gini in front of him. I think Firmino is the closest to technical skills, but he A) has a much higher work rate, and B) is rarely injured, and when we need to replace him tactically, it usually means we're bringing on Origi as a target to change the game up.

However, we'll see once the Champions League starts. We'll have to do some rotating, so we'll have our answers then.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2216 on: August 30, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »
“Shaq is training well,” said the Reds boss. “That's the first four weeks of the season, that's the situation, that's how it is.

“That's probably the hardest period for players who are not yet (playing). (There was) an injury for Shaq as well (in the summer).

“In training, Shaq doesn't have to improve in any way if he can keep the level he is doing at the moment. It's not about that.

“Of course he can improve, everybody can improve, but he doesn't have to show anything special.

And we will need him. He knows that 100%.

“Is he the happiest player in the squad at the moment? I don't think so. Can I see that on the training pitch? No.

“He is in a good mood and training hard, doing what he has to do and is ready for the moment when he has to help the team on the pitch.”

- Klopp

We'll see more of him after the break

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #2217 on: August 30, 2019, 06:52:13 pm »
So, he's not going to Switzerland so he can concentrate on Liverpool. Concentrate on what? Sitting on the bench? Klopp hasn't even given him a proper sniff. Ox and Origi ahead of him. Lalana too in a different way. I'd personally use him as a super sub in most games, but he's not even getting that.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: August 30, 2019, 06:55:04 pm »
He'll get his chance. We'll be playing 3 games a week once we are back from the break, that is a certainty based on Klopp's statements.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2219 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:50 pm »
So, he's not going to Switzerland so he can concentrate on Liverpool. Concentrate on what? Sitting on the bench? Klopp hasn't even given him a proper sniff. Ox and Origi ahead of him. Lalana too in a different way. I'd personally use him as a super sub in most games, but he's not even getting that.

Perhaps because we haven't needed one?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #2220 on: August 30, 2019, 07:26:39 pm »
He'll definitely play more than a fair bit after the international break. If we have a good cup run this year, he'll easily get 30+ appearances with 15+ starts.
We've low key got a super strong cup squad this season too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2221 on: August 30, 2019, 07:27:42 pm »
I’d have thought it would have been better for him starting a match and putting in a performance to remind Klopp why he should get more game time.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: August 30, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
I’d have thought it would have been better for him starting a match and putting in a performance to remind Klopp why he should get more game time.

Klopp is still at the club running training session during the break. Majority of the first team squad is missing so the remaining players would have more time to work directly with Klopp and the coaches on stuff without there being a need to put together a first 11 for a game in a few days.
Think he is being smart. Some one on one time with teacher (and headboy Milner) could help push him to the front of the queue when there are inevitable stupid injuries in these pointless international games.

"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: August 30, 2019, 07:53:21 pm »
He does offer us a lot, I’m a big fan and I’d be gutted to lose him. He gives us such great strength in depth.

Even when he didn’t play that well in the Barca game at Anfield, he still set one up for us.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2224 on: August 30, 2019, 08:05:41 pm »
Klopp is still at the club running training session during the break. Majority of the first team squad is missing so the remaining players would have more time to work directly with Klopp and the coaches on stuff without there being a need to put together a first 11 for a game in a few days.
Think he is being smart. Some one on one time with teacher (and headboy Milner) could help push him to the front of the queue when there are inevitable stupid injuries in these pointless international games.
Who’s he going to be trading with? Mostly be U23 players, not sure that’ll impress Klopp as much as doing it in an international game.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2225 on: August 30, 2019, 08:15:37 pm »
Who’s he going to be trading with? Mostly be U23 players, not sure that’ll impress Klopp as much as doing it in an international game.

The stock exchange? Bitcoin, stocks and shares, he'll be alright.

Loads of 5 a side with Millie, Joel, Adam and Adrian in goal. Take a few quid off the u23's in best of 3

BTW, I love the fucking cube.....

EDIT: By some accounts Mo, Sadio and Naby will be at Melwood too
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:03:33 pm by vivabobbycurmudgeongraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: August 30, 2019, 08:17:05 pm »

It isn't about impressing, Klopp knows he is a good player, he has said so many times, it is about having more time to directly work with the player and try and get into the nuances of what Klopp wants in certain situations.
Klopp has talked before about with a small squad during internationals he can give players attention that he couldn't at other times. Usually that is maybe giving some u23 players a chance to work with the first team setup, but it still applies to first team players that are not away.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: August 30, 2019, 08:19:09 pm »

:lmao
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline monkeynuts

• Main Stander
« Reply #2228 on: August 30, 2019, 08:59:42 pm »
Brace to beat the Mancs
That cross for Gini
Super sub?
Strength in depth?

Maybe not a 1st eleven, but we all know he can change a game when needed....reminds me of a Swiss Garcia

Having him on the bench makes me excited

Strength in depth....and is that not what we have wanted for years!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2229 on: August 30, 2019, 09:05:57 pm »
It isn't about impressing, Klopp knows he is a good player, he has said so many times, it is about having more time to directly work with the player and try and get into the nuances of what Klopp wants in certain situations.
Klopp has talked before about with a small squad during internationals he can give players attention that he couldn't at other times. Usually that is maybe giving some u23 players a chance to work with the first team setup, but it still applies to first team players that are not away.
Klopp says everyone is a good player, that’s what makes him the manager he is, he’s a players dream.

For me Shaqiri would be better off getting some minutes under his belt in a first team environment and scoring s goal or two.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #2230 on: August 30, 2019, 11:43:25 pm »
Klopp says everyone is a good player, that’s what makes him the manager he is, he’s a players dream.

For me Shaqiri would be better off getting some minutes under his belt in a first team environment and scoring s goal or two.

He is in urgent need of more game time but the situation is that he couldn’t fit into the front 3 but yet there isn’t enough space to accommodate him in midfield.

The lack of match sharpness was really showing toward the end of last season during our home match against Barcelona where even though we won convincingly, he was turning over the ball like crazy.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #2231 on: August 31, 2019, 12:40:13 am »
I remember Klopp having a crack at him at the end of a game last season for not shooting i believe, he hasn't had a look in since. Its good to read that interview from Klopp, that shows theres no rift, id love to see him get some minutes, hes a likable person. I wish him luck this season

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: August 31, 2019, 02:33:08 am »
He obviously doesn't want to be a super sub, but it is currently very hard for anyone else to break into the front three.
Believer

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: August 31, 2019, 03:48:27 am »
Brace to beat the Mancs
That cross for Gini
Super sub?
Strength in depth?

Maybe not a 1st eleven, but we all know he can change a game when needed....reminds me of a Swiss Garcia

Having him on the bench makes me excited

Strength in depth....and is that not what we have wanted for years!

If he stays too long on the bench, we won't have strength in depth, but deadwood in depth. Apart from that Barca game, he hasn't played for nine months. As others have mentioned, Klopp's usual subs are Origi, Milner and probably Ox this season.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: August 31, 2019, 06:25:29 am »
Pretty sure Gini and Hendo haven't assisted a shot or created a chance this season so far.  Somewhat a continuation of last season in that our midfield plays a minimal role in our attack.  Now it hasn't matterd in that Klopp has created this pretty unique system in that both our fullbacks take the place of a creative mid.  So until that changes or until Shaq gets defensively good (never happening) then he's got no use here.  Keita is good defensively so he'll get a shot once healthy as he has something nobody but Milner has.  Shaq should have been sold as I can only see a scenario where we are losing and defensive shape means nothing for when he'll play.  With how good we are those times will be rather few and far between.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: August 31, 2019, 11:48:12 pm »
He obviously doesn't want to be a super sub, but it is currently very hard for anyone else to break into the front three.

Just guessing of course, but it's not for selfish, "I want to be playing first team football" reasons.  He knew this was the case when he joined us.  This is more a situation where he loves being here and is just itching to make a worthwhile contribution.  He knows what is happening with this club and is consumed by excitement.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: September 15, 2019, 08:00:20 am »
Thought he looked sharp in his little cameo

First pass was weighted spot on down the right hand channel

His passing was crisp. Looks like he’s been working hard and was keen to impress

Online Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2237 on: September 15, 2019, 08:11:13 am »
Thought he looked sharp in his little cameo

First pass was weighted spot on down the right hand channel

His passing was crisp. Looks like he’s been working hard and was keen to impress

I think his vision and ability to play that killer through ball is better than any one in our team beside Bobby.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #2238 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:41 am »
Glad that he's starting to get some minutes. I think it's really important he does to stay sharp.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: September 16, 2019, 08:01:20 am »
Don't think he's getting in the front three barring a serious injury crisis to be honest.  Think Klopp's always seen him as a midfielder, he just doesn't really fit into the workmanlike middle three that seems to be working for us at the moment.  Best option is that 'number 8' position, but you've got Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita all arguably more suited to it, all vying for that position too. Maybe he'll get chances in midfield against weaker opposition, but I doubt we'll see a change of system to accommodate him on current form.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.