Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 510705 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6120 on: March 28, 2024, 11:54:38 pm »
Have I missed something regarding Alonso? I have read the posts today saying it's not happening and is pretty much confirmed. Looking at the news online, all I can see is various outlets referencing each other, no quotes , no facts, just speculation. Is there a reason why this is seen as legitimate?

Joyce and Ornstein saying we expect him to stay so isn't on our shortlist

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6121 on: March 28, 2024, 11:54:41 pm »
🤣🤣🤣
@paulair

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6122 on: March 28, 2024, 11:54:57 pm »
The stuff around Amorim and the release clause does make it sound like it is a real issue for us, it's a real concern. We may not be willing to pay it out (the highest release clause for a manager ever iirc) for someone who isn't a sure thing.

Nagelsmann isn't even being mentioned for whatever reason (not that I am necessarily against that)

De Zerbi's name is there, and Ornstein keeps mentioning the admirers Frank has in the club.

I think Amorim goes to Chelsea or Barca as we aren't willing to pay out the release clause for someone who is a risk, and we get De Zerbi, or lesser chance Frank (still risks but for significantly less money, if any). I genuinely think that's how it will play out.

Tbf I don't think Amorim is the best thing since sliced bread either. He is the one who isn't an automatic disappointing announcement, but he isn't the standout best man in the world for the job either.

Ruben Amorim has a release clause of £17m in his contract mate. These days you get average defenders for more.  ;D

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6123 on: March 28, 2024, 11:55:17 pm »
Have I missed something regarding Alonso? I have read the posts today saying it's not happening and is pretty much confirmed. Looking at the news online, all I can see is various outlets referencing each other, no quotes , no facts, just speculation. Is there a reason why this is seen as legitimate?

The Liverpool beat team have clearly been briefed by the club.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6124 on: March 28, 2024, 11:56:00 pm »
Alonso could’ve been good but if he doesn’t want the job well then he’s clearly not ready for a job the size of Liverpool and he’s best to be avoided.

He’s clearly off to Real Madrid in a little over 12 months time. So that makes your point a little bit crap.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6125 on: March 28, 2024, 11:56:56 pm »
Just realised with Amorim it would be the first time I am actually older than the manager of Liverpool bah.
@paulair

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6126 on: March 28, 2024, 11:57:51 pm »
The stuff around Amorim and the release clause does make it sound like it is a real issue for us, it's a real concern. We may not be willing to pay it out (the highest release clause for a manager ever iirc) for someone who isn't a sure thing.

Nagelsmann isn't even being mentioned for whatever reason (not that I am necessarily against that)

De Zerbi's name is there, and Ornstein keeps mentioning the admirers Frank has in the club.

I think Amorim goes to Chelsea or Barca as we aren't willing to pay out the release clause for someone who is a risk, and we get De Zerbi, or lesser chance Frank (still risks but for significantly less money, if any). I genuinely think that's how it will play out.

Tbf I don't think Amorim is the best thing since sliced bread either. He is the one who isn't an automatic disappointing announcement, but he isn't the standout best man in the world for the job either.

If Amorim is in their opinion the best man for the job and they decide against it because of the fee then quite frankly the nerds are working above their station, believing that their analytics shite is all you need to become a top side. None of these lot won anything until Klopp came on the scene and the Sporting Director is from Bournemouth, hardly lots of winning experience there.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6127 on: March 28, 2024, 11:58:28 pm »

Well if I was 99% against De Zerbi, I'm now full on locked in 100% dead against.

Online Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #6128 on: March 28, 2024, 11:58:33 pm »
**** Real Madrid always get what they want. Every single time. He will 100% replace Ancelotti.

Could be as simple as his Mrs not wanting to live on Merseyside.

We are not a club who chops and changes manager every season, surely he knows that too. Yet no doubt he will probably take over a Madrid side which is a ceremonial position at best.

As for De Zerbi, he gets alot of shit on here, from his apparent inability to set up a defence to his stupid beard (and I'll admit it's monumentally shit), but he has alot going for him. His teams play good football, Brighton concede goals because they play football on the front foot rather being "keep it tight and hit them on the break merchants", he will 100% do a good job at a stellar club. And players who play for him will run through brick walls for him, wherever he has been. If he is too risky then so are Xabi and Amorin.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6129 on: March 28, 2024, 11:58:54 pm »
Ruben Amorim has a release clause of £17m in his contract mate. These days you get average defenders for more.  ;D

But you don't pay that much for managers either.

Would we rather that money go towards a player than a manager we perhaps are not 100% sold on, especially when you can get Managers with more PL experience and similar style for significantly less

Maybe we are thinking what if we pay this much, cuts into our budget, and he is wholly unsuitable and not fit for the job

For a manager it is a lot of money. Again, the way it is reported, it is a real concern for us.

I don't think we pay it unless we know with good certainty that he is the best possible fit to replace Klopp for the next 5-10 years. If we aren't sure on that I think we go elsewhere.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6130 on: March 28, 2024, 11:59:35 pm »
Didn't Xabi meet his missus when he was here?  ;D

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6131 on: March 29, 2024, 12:01:23 am »
If Amorim is in their opinion the best man for the job and they decide against it because of the fee then quite frankly the nerds are working above their station, believing that their analytics shite is all you need to become a top side. None of these lot won anything until Klopp came on the scene and the Sporting Director is from Bournemouth, hardly lots of winning experience there.

Depends how much they think that. If he is the absolute stand out then yeah they will go for him.

If they are somewhat leaning towards him but not the complete outstanding candidate, then there's a fair argument to say that money may be better spent on players.

If he IS the best option from their scouting then yes I think they'll pay. If he MIGHT be the best option then I don't think they will.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6132 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:23 am »
But you don't pay that much for managers either.

Would we rather that money go towards a player than a manager we perhaps are not 100% sold on, especially when you can get Managers with more PL experience and similar style for significantly less

Maybe we are thinking what if we pay this much, cuts into our budget, and he is wholly unsuitable and not fit for the job

For a manager it is a lot of money. Again, the way it is reported, it is a real concern for us.

I don't think we pay it unless we know with good certainty that he is the best possible fit to replace Klopp for the next 5-10 years. If we aren't sure on that I think we go elsewhere.

Actually mate Amorim's style of play is more closer to our current style than Xabi's. It's why I and few others thought when Edwards came back Amorim might actually be his first choice. But we let our hearts rule our heads in thinking Xabi would come here.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6133 on: March 29, 2024, 12:03:49 am »
#WelcomeRuben

When the plan's gone to shit,
And Xabi's said 'f*** it',
It's Amorim's.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:06:28 am by mattD »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6134 on: March 29, 2024, 12:06:31 am »
Depends how much they think that. If he is the absolute stand out then yeah they will go for him.

If they are somewhat leaning towards him but not the complete outstanding candidate, then there's a fair argument to say that money may be better spent on players.

If he IS the best option from their scouting then yes I think they'll pay. If he MIGHT be the best option then I don't think they will.

Most likely true but then if you believe in the analytics and we decide against him, then you can be comforted by the fact that he probably didnt profile oustandingly.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6135 on: March 29, 2024, 12:08:51 am »
Klopp was famously a left field choice in 2015  ;)

He really wasn’t. He was the one we all wanted but didn’t think we’d get
(Apologies if you were being ironic and I’ve been whooshed  :))

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6136 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:12 am »
Joyce and Ornstein saying we expect him to stay so isn't on our shortlist

Oh. I must admit I have little enthusiasm fullstop. I think Klopp is a once in a lifetime manager, truly irreplaceable. I could muster some enthusiasm for Alonso because of the connection and his performance at Bayern, but even that was a stretch.

I can honestly say I have zero interest in the other candidates. I will back them to the hilt, but I can't muster any excitement.

I have little knowledge of the game, so it is purely heart. It seems some of the more knowledgeable posters here are not too concerned, that is something at least, I hope they are right.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:12:23 am by Trim0582 »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6137 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:12 am »
Didn't Xabi meet his missus when he was here?  ;D
No

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6138 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:30 am »
One thing I am a bit worried about ... I think the players as a whole will have wanted Alonso. They'll have known like us the market isn't great and anyone who replaces Klopp would have their negatives, but I think he's the one in world football where you think, he's the man.

Beyond that, who knows who they'd be excited by ... Ancelotti maybe, Nagelsmann? It can be someone young but it has to be someone who's young and a winner. Can struggle to see a few of the more experienced heads being too happy with De Zerbi I'll be honest. Of course, that could all be bollocks but I wouldn't predict it without believing it.

I'm surprised with all the talk on Amorim nobody has really mentioned the fella at Feyenoord. Seems a practically identical situation to Amorim.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6139 on: March 29, 2024, 12:10:17 am »
He really wasn’t. He was the one we all wanted but didn’t think we’d get
(Apologies if you were being ironic and I’ve been whooshed  :))

He even included a wink emoji Dazzer  ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6140 on: March 29, 2024, 12:12:10 am »

Actually mate Amorim's style of play is more closer to our current style than Xabi's. It's why I and few others thought when Edwards came back Amorim might actually be his first choice. But we let our hearts rule our heads in thinking Xabi would come here.

i know the idea is his style is closest to ours all that. Frankly that could mean absolutely nothing. I know people are talking about him like he is a sure thing but he really isn't. He has had success in Portugal but we don't know what he will be like on a bigger level, or how players will react to him

He might be good. I think he will need a good few years before he can have us challenging if he is chosen, a new 5 year plan. I think we need to keep getting CL, but Amorim would need a number of years to refine his place as a Liverpool manager, and steadily get better, before he would challenge for titles.

But it's far from inconceivable that he just doesn't work at all - the jobs too big, his tactics end up too naive for the league, he doesn't have the leadership skills. Fact is he is a 39 year old with experience in a smaller league it's not crazy to think that he isn't the finished article and may not be right.

I think he's the best option we have right now but I also think it's fair to say it's a fairly big risk and he could fail.

Because of that risk or experience, quality, translation to the bigger league and club, I wouldn't be shocked if we think a very high release clause for a manager is perhaps off putting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:18:15 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6141 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:00 am »
Just realised with Amorim it would be the first time I am actually older than the manager of Liverpool bah.
He's older than me by about 2 and half weeks so all good here. Mind you I've still not got over being older than most old players.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6142 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:43 am »

Klopp and his staff's wages being off the books at the end of the season will help with this too.  Doubt the new man coming in will be on anywhere near as much.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6143 on: March 29, 2024, 12:16:06 am »
Maybe this is all a precursor to Klopp staying one more year and handing over to Xabi when he's finished his business in Germany.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6144 on: March 29, 2024, 12:16:41 am »
Most likely true but then if you believe in the analytics and we decide against him, then you can be comforted by the fact that he probably didnt profile oustandingly.

It's in a sense a comfort. But it also is a little bleak in that it means most probably weren't really that great either, and it's the best of an uninspiring bunch.

Amorim is my preferred pick, but mainly just because I know I don't want the others names

I fear it will be one of the others though

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
« Reply #6145 on: March 29, 2024, 12:19:09 am »
If Alonso is off the radar, Pep Ljinders makes a lot more sense with matos as his assistant. Read somewhere he was the players choice, would be a good continuity as any which without Xabi and how unexciting the field is, makes sense to me.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6146 on: March 29, 2024, 12:19:18 am »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

Caulker? Good shout we could stick him up front in emergencies. Be just like old times.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #6147 on: March 29, 2024, 12:20:22 am »
Del Bosque got sacked after winning La Liga due to some internal politics bullshit.
Yeah. The Galactico politics.  ;D

His record was 4 seasons = 2 European Cups, 2 La Liga.

Side point: Del Bosque was Real Madrid's number 6 in the 1981 European Cup final loss ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6148 on: March 29, 2024, 12:24:53 am »
Well after Leverkusen it’ll be likely a Madrid or similar then by the looks of it.

This is why Klopp is irreplaceable, he could have stayed put or took an easy job at any big club he wanted but he went with his heart and soul instead to a club, like Dortmund and Mainz, were not financially backed certainties for major trophies and had a support that was unique and who he could belong with.

Alonso turning down the opportunity to come here, when he knows all this, just proves he never was the right man who we all hoped he would be.

Hate to sound bitter but I hope he fucking dives out to Moyes now and gets thumped everywhere next year  ;D especially if he’s been sounded out by Madrid.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6149 on: March 29, 2024, 12:27:03 am »
Any good yt videos on amorim? Loads there but most seem shite. I did see one short interview in English where he says they can't afford Ronaldo and laughed it off.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6150 on: March 29, 2024, 12:28:40 am »
Maybe this is all a precursor to Klopp staying one more year and handing over to Xabi when he's finished his business in Germany.
No chance, even less than no chance now Edwards is back.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6151 on: March 29, 2024, 12:30:11 am »
I'd bet my left nut Xabi hasn't revealed his plans to anybody yet.

Joyce doesn't know what Xabi is thinking or what could really be going on behind the scenes.

Stop clutching. It's done. Alonso ain't coming. We move.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6152 on: March 29, 2024, 12:30:47 am »
One thing I am a bit worried about ... I think the players as a whole will have wanted Alonso. They'll have known like us the market isn't great and anyone who replaces Klopp would have their negatives, but I think he's the one in world football where you think, he's the man.

Beyond that, who knows who they'd be excited by ... Ancelotti maybe, Nagelsmann? It can be someone young but it has to be someone who's young and a winner. Can struggle to see a few of the more experienced heads being too happy with De Zerbi I'll be honest. Of course, that could all be bollocks but I wouldn't predict it without believing it.

I'm surprised with all the talk on Amorim nobody has really mentioned the fella at Feyenoord. Seems a practically identical situation to Amorim.

We've placed a lot of emphasis on signing leaders, a team of captains with drive and a winning mentality, they're not going to turn into a bunch of doom-mongering fannies because they didn't get the manager you've decided they all wanted.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6153 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:24 am »
Any good yt videos on amorim? Loads there but most seem shite. I did see one short interview in English where he says they can't afford Ronaldo and laughed it off.

Videos on him doing what?

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6154 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:31 am »

What does that matter? I doubt he wrote that story with any input from Alonso  ;)

It’s the club that’s let him run with it.

Exactly. It's pretty obvious journo's have been briefed by the club in regards to the latest Alonso news.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6155 on: March 29, 2024, 12:32:33 am »
Joyce wouldn't be saying anything if it didn't come from the club. I'd like to believe they are acting the bollocks but let's be real here, it's not happening.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6156 on: March 29, 2024, 12:33:28 am »
Videos on him doing what?
You know exactly what I meant.

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6157 on: March 29, 2024, 12:33:32 am »

Side point: Del Bosque was Real Madrid's number 6 in the 1981 European Cup final loss ...

I did not know that! Cheers.

As a young lad I remember Barney Rubble scoring the all important goal. Get in.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6158 on: March 29, 2024, 12:35:28 am »
You know exactly what I meant.

There is a lot of crap on Youtube but the managerial tactical videos are up there as some of the worst in football.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6159 on: March 29, 2024, 12:38:32 am »
Some moaning in here, Alonso showing the loyalty we would expect any manager who'd been here 2 years to show.
aarf, aarf, aarf.