Author Topic: Fiddlers Ferry Power Station  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Fiddlers Ferry Power Station
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:03 pm »
I know this isn't LIVERPOOL as such ... BUT ...  ;)

Anyone know anything about plans to demolish this as part of the Mersey Gateway project? I read an appendix about it and it says 'proposals to demolish Fiddlers Ferry power station ...' in them, and it was the first I've heard of it!

Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fiddlers Ferry Power Station
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:59:26 pm »
Don't think so? Found this, from May, where they say they'll use extra coal burning capacity there. Nothing about closing or demolishing.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-west/139819-sse-outlines-fiddlers-ferry-plans-following-coal-review/
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »
I was there a couple of weeks ago looking at their water usage as part of a project I'm working on. Nothing was mentioned about them closing down and in that situation we'd normally get told.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
Nonsense.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2023, 09:19:54 am »
Bit short notice but the first four of the towers are coming down this morning, sometime before midday.

Livestream: https://clients.skyrevolutions.co.uk/fiddlers-ferry-power-station/

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2023, 09:41:26 am »
And they're gone. RIP

Heard the boom about 10 seconds before the stream showed it, which was a handy little warning to look back at the screen because I'd started losing interest after already sitting waiting for an hour and a half.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2023, 10:50:36 am »
Very interesting, they've been a significant sight whenever you go to play golf or the pub at the water front there.

Does anyone know what's happening to the site / complex?

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2023, 11:51:26 am »
Very interesting, they've been a significant sight whenever you go to play golf or the pub at the water front there.

Does anyone know what's happening to the site / complex?
An offshoot of Peel now own the site. Seems like it's going to be very mixed use. A few sizeable commercial buildings directly where the power station was, a whole new residential neighbourhood between this new commercial area and the golf course, then the remaining land left for parkland.

Last I heard, the whole project has a second phase that plans to also redevelop the land on the other side of the canal (or what is left of that sorry canal, anyway). I think this phase is residential towards the Widnes end and then the rest being left as a huge nature reserve.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2023, 12:02:36 pm by kellan »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 3, 2023, 11:58:07 am »
Ta kellen, I'll follow with interest.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2023, 12:03:41 pm »
And they're gone. RIP

Heard the boom about 10 seconds before the stream showed it, which was a handy little warning to look back at the screen because I'd started losing interest after already sitting waiting for an hour and a half.

Used to be able to see them from our old office in Old Trafford and they were a familiar sight travelling into town on the train. Gonna be strange not seeing them anymore
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2023, 12:09:12 pm »
I found the old pfd I once came across of SSE's regeneration concept. All the recent articles I've read on this describe what I've detailed above and what is in the pdf, so either Peel aren't deviating very far or their intentions are still under wraps/undecided and everyone is reporting the same old vision thinking it's still relevant. Either way, I would imagine the site turns out more or less the same no matter who does the job.

There are plenty of sketches and illustrations in the pdf but here is just one

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2023, 12:26:50 pm »
Was planning to go up Rivington Pike to watch it but wasn't able to sadly. I think it's a tragedy, cooling towers are one of the most beautiful things in nature. The clean lines and hyperbolic curves are perfect.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2023, 01:07:58 pm »
I'm a big fan of the old brick smokestacks, most of which we've unfortunately tore down. Can't say I'll miss the cooling towers much though!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13 on: December 3, 2023, 02:47:48 pm »
You could see those towers for miles, often saw them on the rural stretches of the Chat Moss rail line near St Helens Junction [which was how tall they were], certainly going to be weird that they've been demolished.
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #14 on: December 4, 2023, 03:58:40 pm »
An offshoot of Peel now own the site. Seems like it's going to be very mixed use. A few sizeable commercial buildings directly where the power station was, a whole new residential neighbourhood between this new commercial area and the golf course, then the remaining land left for parkland.

Last I heard, the whole project has a second phase that plans to also redevelop the land on the other side of the canal (or what is left of that sorry canal, anyway). I think this phase is residential towards the Widnes end and then the rest being left as a huge nature reserve.

That canal (and yes, it's a sorry state) was the first industrial canal of the Industrial Revolution.

It always gets ignored, whilst its younger sibling, the Bridgwater Canal is touted as the oldest.

The reason behind that is largely to do with the Sankey/St Helens Canal not actually officially being a canal at all.

Henry Berry, assistant to Thomas Steers (builder of the first wet dock in the world, Liverpool's Old Dock, and designer of the Salthouse Dock) was appointed to investigate a way to get coal from the St Helens & Haydock mines to the booming Liverpool. They looked at the Sankey Brook, which was already being used by some smaller 'Mersey Flats' sail boats, but these were unsuitable for bulk coal haulage and the brook mostly too shallow and twisty for any sort of barge.

Knowing a full canal would face huge opposition, Berry and his backers got smart. They obtained an Act of Parliament to make the Sankey Brook navigable, with parallel cuts allowed where required.

They then dug a cut the entire length until the Brook became tidal near Fiddler's Ferry, and ran it parallel. It opened in 1757

A few years later, they extended it to the Mersey proper at Fiddler's Ferry, then later along to Widnes, creating Spike Island.

Sadly, it hasn't fared as well as other canals across the UK in terms of preservation, and in a horrible act of heritage vandalism, large sections in both Warrington & St Helens have been filled in, with swing bridges replaced by fixed (in many cases too low for barges to traverse under even if the canal was re-dug)

The only really navigable stretch is down by Spike Island, and used as moorings. There's fresh worries about the Fiddlers to Widnes stretch, too, with the power station no longer regulating water levels in the area.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #15 on: December 5, 2023, 02:21:50 pm »

That canal (and yes, it's a sorry state) was the first industrial canal of the Industrial Revolution.

It always gets ignored, whilst its younger sibling, the Bridgwater Canal is touted as the oldest.

The reason behind that is largely to do with the Sankey/St Helens Canal not actually officially being a canal at all.

Henry Berry, assistant to Thomas Steers (builder of the first wet dock in the world, Liverpool's Old Dock, and designer of the Salthouse Dock) was appointed to investigate a way to get coal from the St Helens & Haydock mines to the booming Liverpool. They looked at the Sankey Brook, which was already being used by some smaller 'Mersey Flats' sail boats, but these were unsuitable for bulk coal haulage and the brook mostly too shallow and twisty for any sort of barge.

Knowing a full canal would face huge opposition, Berry and his backers got smart. They obtained an Act of Parliament to make the Sankey Brook navigable, with parallel cuts allowed where required.

They then dug a cut the entire length until the Brook became tidal near Fiddler's Ferry, and ran it parallel. It opened in 1757

A few years later, they extended it to the Mersey proper at Fiddler's Ferry, then later along to Widnes, creating Spike Island.

Sadly, it hasn't fared as well as other canals across the UK in terms of preservation, and in a horrible act of heritage vandalism, large sections in both Warrington & St Helens have been filled in, with swing bridges replaced by fixed (in many cases too low for barges to traverse under even if the canal was re-dug)

The only really navigable stretch is down by Spike Island, and used as moorings. There's fresh worries about the Fiddlers to Widnes stretch, too, with the power station no longer regulating water levels in the area.

Good stuff Nobby, I live in Penketh just a few hundred yards from the canal and learnt some new facts to me.
The canal was in a terrible state when I moved here in 1976 (I know!) with large stretches covered in reeds,undergrowth, and lots of rubbish thrown to the bottom.

In the early 80s a lot of restoration work took place such that fishing returned together with wildlife and the new footpath meant you could walk from Widnes to Bewsey in N Warrington. Around 2000 however the anglers were the first to suffer as fishing was banned after the banks were deemed unsafe and fences erected around them. The canal again suffered from lack of money to keep it in its restored condition not helped when the coal fired Power Station was planned to be closed. This was the canals source of water.

These are Warrington and Halton Councils plans to find a source of water for the canal in the future.

Since the restoration of the Sankey Canal was carried out between Spike Island in Widnes and Bewsey, Warrington, in the early 1980’s it has been kept in water by a supply that has come from Fiddlers Ferry Power Station.

“The original sources of supply had come from the St Helens area – Carr Mill Dam being one of the main contributors of water –  but those supplies became isolated as sections of the canal were demolished and infilled in the 1970s.

“Fiddlers Ferry Power Station closed on 31 March 2020 and it is now in the process of being decommissioned. The owner, SSE, confirmed that, as part of the decommissioning, regular pumping of  water into the canal will continue until around July and then it will become sporadic until, eventually, there will be no pumping at all.

“At the end of the decommissioning there will be no power station and therefore the water supply that has been relied upon for decades will no longer exist.

“For the past ten years Halton Borough Council, working in partnership with Warrington Borough Council, has been working to address this situation. The most realistic and sustainable solution that has been identified is to use the Sankey Brook as a feed for the canal.

“This will require some major engineering and Warrington Council, supported by Halton, is currently working on this, but it will take a couple of years to bring this about. This means that the current water levels within the canal cannot be guaranteed.

“Halton Council remains committed to the historic Sankey Canal and we would still like to restore it to navigation between Spike Island and Fiddlers Ferry. To that end we will be installing a swing bridge at Spike Island on the site of the iron swing bridge that had first been installed in 1833.

“We are hoping that work will commence on that project this year. We are also currently working up a project to restore the river slipway at Spike Island so that boats could be directly launched into the river.”

PS. The Ferry Tavern situated between the canal and the Mersey is a great pub to visit with some great ales not to mention Glastonferry music events twice a year which are sold out.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #16 on: December 5, 2023, 02:52:32 pm »
 :thumbup

Big thanks for that, redtel - I'm so glad there's plans being acted upon to continue the life of the canal, even if it's just part of it. I know the Ferry Tavern pretty well and have been there a few times after walking the dog. Like you say, a cracking little place and a real sense of yesteryear.

There's a path that follows the route of the canal all the way to St Helens. Further 'upsteam' on the canal, just north of the M62, you can still make out the old Winwick Double Lock, whilst the old Winwick Quay is still more or less intact just south of the 62.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 06:29:26 pm »
My man used to carry a load of weight and the chimneys were known as "Winnie's legs" in our family. Sadly both now gone.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40