Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 632223 times)

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Endgame Spoilers.
« Reply #5480 on: July 7, 2019, 06:42:46 pm »
Watched Captain Marvel last night

Dissapointing. Enough material inside the film but was all rushed and plot came off looking paper thin
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5481 on: July 7, 2019, 10:33:12 pm »
A few people looked around at me because I started chuckling when Leon from Curb was first on screen :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5482 on: July 7, 2019, 10:49:26 pm »
A few people looked around at me because I started chuckling when Leon from Curb was first on screen :D

Same here ;D

Get up in that ass, Peter.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5483 on: July 7, 2019, 11:15:07 pm »
Same here ;D

Get up in that ass, Peter.

"Black man doing his thing in the world. Barack Obama mother fucker, Barack Obama!" haha. I did the same.

Went in this not having seen Homecoming and being uninterested if I'm honest. Lost interest completely in Spiderman after Spiderman 3 and never went back and saw any Andrew Garfield ones. But I actually enjoyed it. Hated the twist in the middle and Jake G's big speech felt contrived as hell if I'm honest and didn't buy the "threat" or "bad guy" at all. However saying that I did actually enjoy it for what it was.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5484 on: July 8, 2019, 05:18:20 am »
I thought the new Spider-Man was a notch below par.

It felt distinctly rushed, and I'm not quite sure in the service of what, given they've just finished a 10 year story arc.

They plot was fine in broad strokes, although parts of it were clunky or plain didn't make sense. For example, Nick Fury seemed decidedly off the boil with his intelligencev this time in a way that can't be explained by just "oops I'm still catching up after the snap". Basic due diligence was not done.

Some of the humour was great and other bits were very low quality, speaking of dialogue and characters that are caricature continuations of themselves in Homecoming - particularly most of Peter's friends.

Jake Gyllenhaal was wasted in his role, which didn't give him very much to do at all compared to, for example, Michael Keaton. There was the potential for a good character in there, but be his relationship with Peter was underwritten and the whole thing lost its emotional impact as a result.

Parts of it were fun. Holland and Zendaya have a really nice chemistry and make the romance work. Some of the special effects were very good, and some of the bants (notably with Happy) were fun and touching. The "heir to Iron Man" angle worked really well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops.

But on the whole, it felt like Spider-Man needed a longer holiday. Hopefully the writers spend a bit more time polishing up the script before they submit it next time.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2019, 05:23:25 am by Redcap »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5485 on: July 8, 2019, 05:34:55 am »
I thought the new Spider-Man was a notch below par.

It felt distinctly rushed, and I'm not quite sure in the service of what, given they've just finished a 10 year story arc.

They plot was fine in broad strokes, although parts of it were clunky or plain didn't make sense. For example, Nick Fury seemed decidedly off the boil with his intelligencev this time in a way that can't be explained by just "oops I'm still catching up after the snap". Basic due diligence was not done.

Some of the humour was great and other bits were very low quality, speaking of dialogue and characters that are caricature continuations of themselves in Homecoming - particularly most of Peter's friends.

Jake Gyllenhaal was wasted in his role, which didn't give him very much to do at all compared to, for example, Michael Keaton. There was the potential for a good character in there, but be his relationship with Peter was underwritten and the whole thing lost its emotional impact as a result.

Parts of it were fun. Holland and Zendaya have a really nice chemistry and make the romance work. Some of the special effects were very good, and some of the bants (notably with Happy) were fun and touching. The "heir to Iron Man" angle worked really well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops.

But on the whole, it felt like Spider-Man needed a longer holiday. Hopefully the writers spend a bit more time polishing up the script before they submit it next time.

^didn't watch the post credits scene
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #5486 on: July 8, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »

After 10 years, still hasn't learned to never leave the cinema before end credits  ;D
Alot of people would have missed the 2nd end credit scene aswell.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5487 on: July 8, 2019, 04:07:14 pm »
And Phase 3 officially ends. It's been a hell of a ride
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5488 on: July 8, 2019, 04:34:34 pm »
I do think it’s a bit of a shame how this iteration of Spider-Man is so dependent on billion-dollar tech. They’ve nailed the character, but it feels off to me how much he relies on the backing of Stark Industries.

I get that they’re taking a different approach, and want to be clearly different from the previous films, but Spider-Man is meant to be a proper working class hero isn’t he? At his lowest ebb in Far From Home, he’s able to get picked up by Happy in a supersonic jet and can create a new custom suit using some ridiculously high-tech machine. It probably makes sense in the context of the Marvel universe – after all, why wouldn’t a member of the Avengers make use of the ample resource available?But I think the appeal of Spidey is that he’s meant to represent the everyman, not have a Jarvis-level AI built into his suit and those Edith glasses which give him a ridiculous level of power.

That's not to say I didn't really like Homecoming and Far From Home - I just think it's a shame that this version of Spider-Man is so integrated with Tony Stark.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5489 on: July 8, 2019, 05:27:27 pm »
If Star Wars is a movie franchise in the MCU, which actor played Mace Windu?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5490 on: July 8, 2019, 05:43:12 pm »

The MCU is an idealistic alternate universe where the prequels didn't happen.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5491 on: July 8, 2019, 05:51:32 pm »
The MCU is an idealistic alternate universe where the prequels didn't happen.

Ha! Good answer.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5492 on: July 8, 2019, 06:12:23 pm »

A Skrull

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5493 on: July 8, 2019, 06:25:23 pm »
It was good but not enough Marisa Tomei. She's fantastic.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #5494 on: July 8, 2019, 09:15:40 pm »
And Phase 3 officially ends. It's been a hell of a ride

I thought Endgame was the end of phase 3?
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5495 on: July 8, 2019, 11:00:43 pm »

FFH is officially the end, maybe to be viewed as an epilogue.

Feige will be announcing the Ohase 4 films at SDCC a week from Thursday.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: July 8, 2019, 11:55:27 pm »

Is it just me or is there definitely a bit of a Linda P lookalike there?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5497 on: July 9, 2019, 07:24:29 am »

I did, actually. But I still don't think that's sufficient. A last scene of the movie mea culpa isn't enough to address the general stupidity of the logic through 2 hours and 9 minutes.

It doesn't really matter who the head of intelligence is. Unless they're actively ignoring or suppressing intel being fed up to them, they would still be getting intel fed up to them from.. I dunno.. every person within SHIELD that's been briefed to work on Stark Industries?

Again, I didn't hate the movie, but I think stuff like this could have just been smoothed out a bit better than it was. So many of the issues could have just used a little more work.

I do think it’s a bit of a shame how this iteration of Spider-Man is so dependent on billion-dollar tech. They’ve nailed the character, but it feels off to me how much he relies on the backing of Stark Industries.

I get that they’re taking a different approach, and want to be clearly different from the previous films, but Spider-Man is meant to be a proper working class hero isn’t he? At his lowest ebb in Far From Home, he’s able to get picked up by Happy in a supersonic jet and can create a new custom suit using some ridiculously high-tech machine. It probably makes sense in the context of the Marvel universe – after all, why wouldn’t a member of the Avengers make use of the ample resource available?But I think the appeal of Spidey is that he’s meant to represent the everyman, not have a Jarvis-level AI built into his suit and those Edith glasses which give him a ridiculous level of power.

That's not to say I didn't really like Homecoming and Far From Home - I just think it's a shame that this version of Spider-Man is so integrated with Tony Stark.

I mean, I don't know if Peter Parker has ever been working class per se. He was a photographer and a genius level scientist who's always at least had a lot to do with Norman Osborn and Oscorp. It's no a huge step to have him involved with Stark instead.

I actually think it's a reasonably compelling storyline how Peter will shoulder the responsibilities of being regarded as the heir to Iron Man. It's going to be a tricky balancing act to give him that responsibility, while maintaining his independence as a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man - particularly after the events of Far From Home.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #5498 on: July 9, 2019, 07:48:15 am »
I did, actually. But I still don't think that's sufficient. A last scene of the movie mea culpa isn't enough to address the general stupidity of the logic through 2 hours and 9 minutes.
Spoiler
Agree with you here. Especially explaining how "Nick Fury" understood the coded message from Happy if it wasn't really him.

To me the film was rushed in terms of the actual fight with Mysterio. Obviously due to time but it made Mysterio look weak IMO. The 1st faceoff with him was cool though.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 9, 2019, 12:09:14 pm by RSoares21 »
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5499 on: July 9, 2019, 11:54:18 am »

Spoiler
My understanding was that the coded message wasn't something they came up with earlier, Happy just made it up on the spot to suggest that something was off.
[close]

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5500 on: July 9, 2019, 12:03:16 pm »
Spoiler
My understanding was that the coded message wasn't something they came up with earlier, Happy just made it up on the spot to suggest that something was off.
[close]

Spoiler

"Appearances can be deceiving is not a very cryptic message anyway
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5501 on: July 9, 2019, 12:17:24 pm »

I like a AILF in double denim as much as anyone

But transforming the traditional Aunt May like that is just...  :lmao

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5502 on: July 9, 2019, 03:18:31 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah and the scene where he mentions Captain Marvel and Fury's all HOW DARE YOU INVOKE HER NAME was enough for me to buy into it. I do think it was...if not clumsy then at least half-assed. And remember Real Fury was gone for five years, everything was all fucked up for his return anyway.
[close]

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5503 on: July 9, 2019, 05:02:46 pm »
Spoiler
Yeah and the scene where he mentions Captain Marvel and Fury's all HOW DARE YOU INVOKE HER NAME was enough for me to buy into it. I do think it was...if not clumsy then at least half-assed. And remember Real Fury was gone for five years, everything was all fucked up for his return anyway.
[close]

I wonder when...
Spoiler
they started calling Captain Marvel Captain Marvel. They never did it in her movie. Maybe they'll do it in the sequel in which case would that mean it would be set before Far From Home?
[close]

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #5504 on: July 9, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »
I wonder when...
Spoiler
they started calling Captain Marvel Captain Marvel. They never did it in her movie. Maybe they'll do it in the sequel in which case would that mean it would be set before Far From Home?
[close]

Spoiler
Might even be set before end game
[close]

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5505 on: July 9, 2019, 05:30:39 pm »
Spoiler
Might even be set before end game
[close]

Spoiler
I can see it being before Guardians, getting Ronin to where he is in that
[close]

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5506 on: July 10, 2019, 06:51:07 am »
Saw Far From Home yesterday really good, and lots of good moments of humour.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5507 on: July 10, 2019, 01:04:44 pm »
Just started Jessica Jones. I know it's only three seasons but is it good?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5508 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »

1st season is fantastic. 2nd is very good but not the same level of S1. Haven't got around to watching the 3rd but hopefully it wraps up her story as she's a very interesting character

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5509 on: July 10, 2019, 01:23:37 pm »
1st season is fantastic. 2nd is very good but not the same level of S1. Haven't got around to watching the 3rd but hopefully it wraps up her story as she's a very interesting character

I though S3 was better than S2 but not as good as S1 and I think it ties up the story arc quite nicely.  If there is to be another chapter, it could very easily go in whatever direction .it wants

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5510 on: July 10, 2019, 03:01:22 pm »

Season 1 is sensational. Season 2 and 3 are 'meh'.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5511 on: July 10, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »
I loved all 3 seasons with Season 1 being the standout simply due to Tennants performance in it. Best I've seen him, and I really liked him as the Doctor.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5512 on: July 11, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »
Thanks all. Watching season one. Tennant is the star of the season though so far. Has been funny.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5513 on: July 11, 2019, 10:17:28 pm »
Watched FFH before. Thought it was really good and better than Homecoming.

Mysterio was great.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5514 on: July 12, 2019, 08:01:24 am »
Saw FFH yesterday. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I didn't like it as much as Homecoming. There's no obvious flaws*, I guess maybe it just doesn't have the same level of on-screen fun. Mysterio was decent enough in his earlier scenes interacting with Peter, but I dunno, didn't work so well as a final showdown maybe?

Still, it's a nice coda to the MCU's run up until now. And speaking of codas, wonderful to see a certain part not be recast, and also brilliantly updated to the modern day.

*Okay, the big Mysterio exposition dump was a bit jarring.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #5515 on: July 12, 2019, 08:05:07 am »
Saw FFH yesterday. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I didn't like it as much as Homecoming. There's no obvious flaws*, I guess maybe it just doesn't have the same level of on-screen fun. Mysterio was decent enough in his earlier scenes interacting with Peter, but I dunno, didn't work so well as a final showdown maybe?

Still, it's a nice coda to the MCU's run up until now. And speaking of codas, wonderful to see a certain part not be recast, and also brilliantly updated to the modern day.

*Okay, the big Mysterio exposition dump was a bit jarring.

Agree with you. I thought the final fight was too easy for spiderman
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5516 on: July 12, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
Re FFH

Spoiler

So on the whole I enjoyed it, would probably give between a 7 and 8 if I had to score it. I am a massive Spidey fanboy though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Think Tom Holland is a perfect bit of casting. He just fits, in my mind, as the cartoon/comic book Spiderman that I grew up with - a kid, a smart kid, bit cocky, but absolutely good hearted.

Overall the story was ok - nothing ground breaking. Kinda liked the Mysterio twist even though I knew it was coming. Disappointed that the multi-verse theory isn't confirmed though! Thought that could have been used in some really brilliant ways.

One issue I had though was some of the CGI seemed slightly off. Most of it was superb, and it's extremely hyper-critical, but as soon as it's even a slightly bit off, human-wise, I immediately cone out of the zone and think "that's CGI" I KNOW most of it is, but the Marvel work has been so fucking good lately you don't realise you're watching it. I stress, it was only here and there. The last fight scene for example where he was dodging in and out of the illusion fighting drones was spectacularly good I thought. The other big illusion scene similarly superbly done.

Peter and MJ really work I thought. Nice chemistry, and I'm totally rooting for them to get together. (Also, after a google quick age check to make sure this isn't weird.., she's fucking hot too)

Loved the two post credit scenes, and it doesn't matter how many times I see it, how many times I've played it - web slinging through the NYC skyline will never, ever get old. The re-casting of JJJ was perfect. I also loved how they've brought his character up to date, and the PP reveal along with discrediting of Spiderman is very interesting. Think, as I'll touch on below, it really starts setting him up as the face of the Avengers in that Tony Stark kinda way.

Agree entirely with the above - I loved Ned in the first one, not so much here. Same for most of the class.

I get that they’re taking a different approach, and want to be clearly different from the previous films, but Spider-Man is meant to be a proper working class hero isn’t he? At his lowest ebb in Far From Home, he’s able to get picked up by Happy in a supersonic jet and can create a new custom suit using some ridiculously high-tech machine.

I disagree with this. To me, Spiderman has always been working with high-end tech, generally developing it himself, it's just that the Toby Maguire films really failed to get that across I thought, and it's never really been covered that much. Peter Parker is a science genius who gets bitten by a Spider - I'm made up they're promoting his intelligence. I loved the scene with him getting Tony's toys in the plane, showing without dialogue that's a genius in his own right and quick to learn and adapt to situations. The comic book/cartoon character was always adapting tactics and strategy for the guys he was up against - was brilliant to see him tweak weapons and suit capabilities and them put them into action against the drones. I bigged this scene up because the earlier one where he talks science gabble with Mysterio I didn't like. You don't need to use big, complicated exotic words to convey intelligence. It just comes across clunky imo. The scene in the plane was perfect - and again showed him naturally stepping into Tony's shoes, without even realising it I don't think. Love Happy's new protective/father sort of role as well.

[close]

Same :D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5517 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:25 am »

Posted it in the transfer forum but fuck it, poor Phil Coutinho

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5518 on: July 16, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »
I wonder how the the MCU would have turned out if Joss Whedon didn’t leave after AoU.

Maybe more Vision, a better Hulk arc and less serious movies than Infinity War and Endgame turned out to be?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5519 on: July 16, 2019, 07:28:42 pm »
Thor 4 is happening and Taika Waititi is returning! Wasn’t really expecting another Thor solo film, thought they’d just use him in Guardians 3. But this is exciting...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-thor-4-1224464