Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: FAO: US Reds----tv info
« Last post by 4pool on Today at 01:01:22 am »
Is it Comfirmed yet?
I see 3 tv games rn and the rest on peacock

Yep, we're on Peacock.
City have had a tendency to make title deciders on the last day interesting - as we all know too well. 
General Football and Sport / Re: Rugby League
« Last post by Black Bull Nova on Today at 12:54:08 am »
New Zealand did that to England a few years back, it's not that uncommon in NRL but that NQC might be the best I've seen

Here's NZ v England pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjhDmIeTiY

I'm loving NRL this year, helping to de-Klopp me and get over the last couple of months

A Ligue 1 team requested VAR to be scrapped in January - the PL just gets the most eyeballs.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/ligue-1-club-officially-request-lfp-to-scrap-var-altogether-intriguing-38894682
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Last post by Sevens and Eights on Today at 12:44:49 am »
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                         But O heart! heart! heart!
                            O the bleeding drops of red,
                               Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

Gods, I will miss him. I fear I will be quite drunk watching the Match. what a glorious 9 years He has given me.
I know I'm wasting my breath because the owners and developers of the game are clearly happy to collect record participation numbers each year (even if >50% are sock puppets trying to be #1 after a Friday night game) with minimal effort, but to me the areas for improvement are:

* forward classification: absolute joke that Mo has never been a forward. Kane's defection left EH as the only premium forward, with ownership pushing 90%. Time to enter the 21st century, classify all wide forwards as fucking forwards (clue's in the name, dipshit), and change from 2-5-5-3 to 2-5-4-4.

* make pricing more dynamic. Every year you get someone like a Palmer who breaks out and dramatically out-performs their starting price, everyone buys them in, and yet by season's end they are still an absolute bargain. Palmer is the top scorer in the game, 12 points clear with one game left, yet still only costs 6.3 from a starting point of 5.0. Those who spotted him early get little reward and squad conformity is off the charts. Enough with the +0.1 and -0.1 nonsense, make those prices soar and plunge. After a number of sub appearances, Palmer announced himself with 4g 3a in his first 6 starts, but afterwards his price was only 5.1. If it had gone up to,say, 7.5, then continued to rise to 10+ as he kept scoring,  maybe we'd have some diversity and leagues wouldn't be fixed in place from November onwards. Make price changes dependent on performance rather than transfer trends and you might get more interesting outcomes.

* I also play an AFL fantasy game where you recruit a squad rather than just a starting lineup plus a couple of emergency subs. At the same time, there is a seasonal transfer limit, so you need to think about depth and keep something in reserve for injuries. Something like this could work in FPL, albeit with allowances for the winter transfer window. Let's say you choose a squad of 3 GK 8 DEF 6 MID 6 FWD, each week you name a starting 11 plus 4 subs like you do today, and you can make up to 50 transfers for the season with a weekly limit of 2 (in the AFL game you have a one-time "boost" that lets you use 5 in one week, for emergencies). Keep the free hit, triple captain and bench boost (for the 4 subs only, not the squad).

With dynamic pricing and a seasonal transfer limit, they could also do away with the transfer profit tax, which to be honest is a stupid idea because it discourages managers from moving away from a player who has surged to 50% ownership, therefore increasing conformity yet again.

They could also try rewarding stuff other than goals and assists, so that defensive midfielders have a role in the game, though I remember playing a world cup game that did that and it was a bit crap because it just felt like a lottery.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: New Kit thread
« Last post by Claude Cat on Today at 12:39:33 am »
Grown up people losing their shit over the collar of a football kit. Than again, I do remember the outrage when this was unveiled ...

How we end up playing it in goes a long way ;D
Media and Arts / Re: AC(squigglything)DC
« Last post by duvva 💅 on Today at 12:33:29 am »
Just thought I'd pop this in here.

https://youtu.be/QAxBEfKeOzw?si=aYqE_bHpivai8Mdv

Its Brian Johnson singing on one of the tracks from the new Slash blues album. Just thought it was interesting as he sings much lower. Theres also a cameo from Steven Tyler.
My mate sent me that as well. He sounds much better singing in that lower range now. Unfortunately there aren’t many AC/DC songs that would work for
Excellent OP, Paul. Ultimately, this is the end of an era so I hope we see it out in style (I still remember Gerrard's last game). It's been a wonderful eight and a half years but remember: the past and future are but dreams. The present are all that matters.
Texas governor pardons man who killed Black Lives Matter protester in 2020
Greg Abbott on Thursday pardoned Daniel Perry, who has been serving a 25-year sentence since 2023 murder conviction

Governor Greg Abbott of Texas issued a full pardon on Thursday to a former US army sergeant convicted of murder for fatally shooting an armed demonstrator in 2020 during nationwide protests against police violence and racial injustice.

Abbott announced the pardon just minutes after the Texas board of pardons and paroles disclosed it had made a unanimous recommendation that Daniel Perry be pardoned and have his firearms rights restored. Perry has been held in state prison on a 25-year sentence since his conviction in 2023.

The Republican governor had previously ordered the board to review Perry’s case and said earlier that he would sign a pardon if recommended. The board, which is appointed by the governor, announced its unanimous recommendation in a message posted on the agency website, and Abbott’s pardon swiftly followed.

A jury in Austin had convicted Perry of murder in the death of 28-year-old Garrett Foster, an air force veteran who had been legally carrying an AK-47 while marching in a Black Lives Matter protest. Perry was working as a ride-share driver in July 2020, when he turned his car on to a street crowded with demonstrators and shot Foster before driving off.

The shooting was one of at least 25 killings of Americans during political protests and unrest in 2020, amid thousands of overwhelmingly peaceful demonstrations over the police killing of George Floyd. Perry’s case became a rallying point for conservatives, who called on the governor to ensure his release.

Court records released in April showed that in the weeks leading up to the murder, Perry sent racist messages about protesters, shared white supremacist memes and talked about how he “might have to kill a few people” who were demonstrating outside his house. In a 76-page filing containing Perry’s private and public communications, he compared the Black Lives Matter movement to “a zoo full of monkeys that are freaking out flinging their shit”.

Abbott’s demand for a review of Perry’s case followed pressure from the far-right former Fox News star Tucker Carlson, who on national television had urged the Republican governor to intervene after the former sergeant was convicted at trial in April 2022. While Carlson was still a top-rated host at the network, he dedicated a segment to directly challenging Abbott to appear on the show and discuss pardoning Perry – calling the case a “legal atrocity” that he blamed on progressive prosecutors. Abbott announced he was directing a review of Perry’s conviction the next day.

Carlson and rightwing groups similarly championed Kyle Rittenhouse, who in 2020 drove to a Black Lives Matter protest in Wisconsin where he shot and killed two protesters. A jury found Rittenhouse not guilty of murder after he claimed self-defense, and in recent years he has become a pro-gun advocate and minor celebrity on the conservative speaker circuit.

Abbott praised the board’s recommendation to pardon Perry, and touted Texas’s “stand your ground” self-defense laws.

Prosecutors argued at trial that Perry could have driven away without opening fire and witnesses testified that they never saw Foster raise his gun. The sergeant’s defense attorneys argued Foster, who was white, did raise the rifle and that Perry had no choice but to shoot. Perry, who is also white, did not take the witness stand and jurors deliberated for two days before finding him guilty.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/16/texas-greg-abbott-pardons-daniel-perry
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10