Author Topic: The Murder of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter.  (Read 254632 times)

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Civil unrest in America
« Reply #1040 on: June 3, 2020, 12:28:08 am »
Not one mention of Northern Ireland where the greatest atrocities were felt. I don’t blame yourself for not bringing it up but I just want to point out how the media shapes minds. That was a foreign place.

I mentioned Northern Ireland in a previous post.

Bloody Sunday was clearly an atrocity far in excess of any behaviour of the police towards Black communities in the UK.

But I think it is fair to say that it was a different context? In Northern Ireland both sides were setting off bombs and shooting both each other and innocent civilians. I think if you asked either side at the time they would have told you that as far as they were concerned they were at war. That is not to justify the actions of the British military/government - just to point out the obvious difference between the situation in N. Ireland and the situation in Black communities in London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc.

That's as far as I'm prepared to go - this thread is a mess enough as it is without adding in a back and forth about Northern Ireland.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2020, 12:30:44 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1041 on: June 3, 2020, 12:28:46 am »
exactly, don’t give your enemy an easy opportunity to smear your good work, and if there are some then hold them to account

If as a Liverpool fan you want an epitome of that look at the behaviour of the families of the 96.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1042 on: June 3, 2020, 12:30:44 am »
St. Louis will interesting tonight - large crowds gathered in public spaces and in Black neighborhoods. 4 Police were shot last night, all are reported to be stable and recovering, untold number of individuals injured overnight.

Missouri National Guard called out to enforce the 9:00 PM curfew.

But in other more positive news - from St. Louis, reported by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist David Carson

https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/1267676130984763393
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1043 on: June 3, 2020, 12:31:52 am »
jesus fucking chriiiiiiist

meanwhile, tens of thousands, black and white, peacefully protest outside the White House long after curfew

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1267960034727788545

inspiring scenes imo

Absolutely inspiring.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: June 3, 2020, 12:34:03 am »
If as a Liverpool fan you want an epitome of that look at the behaviour of the families of the 96.

the self policing on social media not to comment at certain times as well is a good example of how to act (and there has been a good few examples during these protests of self policing the idiots who want a new tv or a new pair of Jordan’s)

He's been fired.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/500801-denver-police-officer-fired-after-posting-photo-captioned-lets
hopefully won’t end up at a nearby precinct next month, so stupid posting something like that

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: June 3, 2020, 12:34:06 am »
From the Guardian live feed:

US troops from the 82nd Airborne Division have been moved from their base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to the outskirts of the Washington, DC, according to multiple reports from unnamed Defense Department officials.

Around 700 members of the 82nd are now poised at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland and Fort Belvoir in Virginia, the Associated Press reports. Joint Base Andrews is where Air Force One takes off when the president goes on trips and is minutes from the White House, just outside the boundary of the capital.

In addition, 1,400 more soldiers are ready to be mobilized within an hour, AP writes, according to two Defense Department officials, who are not named.

The soldiers are armed and have riot gear, and they also have bayonets, the agency reports.

It is not clear if this is (almost literal) saber-rattling from the president, who has been talking hardline on law and order, displaying hardware in order to intimidate, or if those troops will really be seen on the streets of Washington.

The president has the jurisdiction to send US troops into the federal capital pretty freely, without invoking legislation or seeking permission as would be the case with a state.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: June 3, 2020, 12:36:50 am »
CNN reporting the pentagon officials are briefing that using the military on the protestors isn’t smart, would be funny if he got overthrown by the military after all this (I mean the military aren’t run by fuckwits, they know how bad they’d look doing something like this), but expect a trump twitter rage tweet soon over this

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: June 3, 2020, 12:37:36 am »

With all due respect, that's a low comment.

We shouldn't be comparing injustices.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: June 3, 2020, 12:39:02 am »
I mentioned Northern Ireland in a previous post.

Bloody Sunday was clearly an atrocity far in excess of any behaviour of the police towards Black communities in the UK.

But I think it is fair to say that it was a different context?
It wasn’t but you are right to say we should leave it there as the thread is not about that. I was just pointing out the similarities of which there are many.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: June 3, 2020, 12:40:11 am »

Your a bollocks for using that in this situation. You should be ashamed.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: June 3, 2020, 12:41:53 am »
It wasn’t but you are right to say we should leave it there as the thread is not about that. I was just pointing out the similarities of which there are many.

Happy to PM if you want to discuss further. I'm 36 and not Irish so always happy to expand my horizons.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2020, 12:43:26 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: June 3, 2020, 12:42:16 am »
CNN reporting the pentagon officials are briefing that using the military on the protestors isn’t smart, would be funny if he got overthrown by the military after all this (I mean the military aren’t run by fuckwits, they know how bad they’d look doing something like this), but expect a trump twitter rage tweet soon over this

Using the US Military on citizens of the United States is something you can not come back from unless it is done right.

Eisenhower did it right.

Trump's use is the opposite.

63 years.... 63 years and the 82 Airborne is being called but for opposite effect.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2020, 12:45:44 am by Crimson_Tank »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1052 on: June 3, 2020, 12:42:35 am »

Nice.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1053 on: June 3, 2020, 12:46:07 am »
With all due respect, that's a low comment.

We shouldn't be comparing injustices.

It isn't about comparing injustices it is about how you defeat them. If you look at the history of protests the hardest to defeat are none violent ones. The images of passive protesters being attacked by juiced up cops/military personnel is chilling.

Advocating the right to loot throws all that away.   
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: June 3, 2020, 01:02:39 am »
It isn't about comparing injustices it is about how you defeat them. If you look at the history of protests the hardest to defeat are none violent ones. The images of passive protesters being attacked by juiced up cops/military personnel is chilling.

Advocating the right to loot throws all that away.

Whether you are right or wrong, from my perspective it's pretty exhausting seeing you in thread after thread grab onto a particular bone and then keep chewing on it remorselessly so that any other discussion becomes overwhelmed. 

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1055 on: June 3, 2020, 01:04:11 am »
Boston crowd being absolute legends here.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: June 3, 2020, 01:06:54 am »
Denver

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: June 3, 2020, 01:11:53 am »
The young man, Abu, that the Washington Post just interviewed outside of the White House was inspiring, articulate, and knowledgeable.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1058 on: June 3, 2020, 01:20:52 am »
Whether you are right or wrong, from my perspective it's pretty exhausting seeing you in thread after thread grab onto a particular bone and then keep chewing on it remorselessly so that any other discussion becomes overwhelmed. 

It is unbelievably simple ignore who the poster is and judge the post on its merits.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1059 on: June 3, 2020, 01:23:47 am »
Denver

Imagine the reaction of Trump and his redneck racists viewing that. That is a Country Trump wants to divide coming together.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: June 3, 2020, 01:23:52 am »

Just shut up, Al. Seriously. I doubt you've ever had to face racism based on your comments in this thread. Invoking the 96 is particularly low. Yes, looting is bad. No one is denying that. Move on now.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: June 3, 2020, 01:27:32 am »
Somehow I don't think the likes of Ghandi or Martin Luther King would agree with you.

Martin Luther probably would at some point during his later years.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: June 3, 2020, 01:30:46 am »
exactly, don’t give your enemy an easy opportunity to smear your good work, and if there are some then hold them to account

What difference does it make?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: June 3, 2020, 01:38:11 am »
Freeze UK sales of riot gear to US police amid protest violence, says Thornberry

Shadow trade secretary Emily Thornberry has said it would be a “disgrace” if the UK supplied equipment to US authorities to crush protests against police brutality.

In a letter to Liz Truss, her government counterpart, the Labour MP called on the Government to suspend all licences that allow British companies to sell riot control kit to American police forces.

“I’m sure you will agree that, at a time when Donald Trump is gearing up to use the US military to crush the legitimate protests taking place across America over the murder of black civilians, it would be a disgrace for the UK to supply him with the arms and equipment he will use to do so,” she wrote.

The Department for International Trade has issued a licence to an unnamed company to sell a range of crowd control items to US police and military buyers.

They include CS hand grenades, anti-riot guns and projectiles, and tear gas capsules.

“If there is a risk that any of these riot control projectiles and equipment are being used in the United States against peaceful, unarmed civilians, then the Government must act immediately to stop their export,” Ms Thornberry said.

She asked Ms Truss to “publish a comprehensive list of all current export licences to the USA of riot control projectiles and equipment, along with all available end-user data to clarify who has purchased these items and for what declared purpose within the last five years”.

Ms Thornberry also said the Government should “suspend all existing licences and halt the issue of any new licences for the export of riot control projectiles and equipment to the United States until you have determined whether any of these items are being used in response to the ongoing protests, or risk being used in the coming days if the US military is deployed as part of that response”.

She added: “Our alliance is above all based on the values we share with the American people, that is all the more reason why we must not supply arms and equipment that Donald Trump is willing to use to attack his own people, in total contravention of those values.”

The call from the Labour frontbencher echoes calls on Monday from human rights group Amnesty International.

Amnesty spokesman Oliver Feeley-Sprague said: “After the shocking images of the police and National Guard using excessive force against Black Lives Matter protesters in Minneapolis, the UK should immediately freeze all policing and security equipment export licences to the US where there’s a clear risk of further misuse – something the UK is obliged to do under its own laws.

“Given the evidence emerging from numerous US cities, there’s a very real risk of UK-manufactured tear gas or rubber bullets being used against George Floyd protesters in dangerous and highly inappropriate ways – something that ministers need to respond to.

“Ministers should be making detailed, case-by-case assessments of any requests for equipment from individual US police forces – withholding exports from any that have clearly acted irresponsibly during the current crisis.

“The UK has a dreadful track record of looking the other way when UK arms and security equipment is misused overseas, even, in some cases, seeking to justify such misuse. Now is the time to start changing that.”

A Government spokesman said: “We take our export responsibilities seriously and assess export licence applications in accordance with strict licensing criteria.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-02/freeze-uk-sales-of-riot-gear-to-us-police-amid-protest-violence-says-thornberry/

https://labour.org.uk/press/emily-thornberry-demands-action-on-us-riot-control-exports/
« Last Edit: June 3, 2020, 01:42:54 am by ShakaHislop »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1064 on: June 3, 2020, 01:46:13 am »
Just shut up, Al. Seriously. I doubt you've ever had to face racism based on your comments in this thread. Invoking the 96 is particularly low. Yes, looting is bad. No one is denying that. Move on now.

No as a white male I have never encountered racism. However, as person who happened to be born in Liverpool in the sixties I am well aware of prejudice. I might have had a temporary advantage because I couldn't be identified by my colour but as soon as I opened my mouth I soon became a minority.

After getting my degree my first job was met with an introduction in to the workplace. That resulted in my manager saying that the 89 all Merseyside FA Cup final was a chance to put a tent over Wembley and gas the 'Fucking' lot of you. That was a couple of months after Hillsborough.

As a 50 year old male I am completely used to being called a thief just because I come from Liverpool. I am completely aware of prejudice.

The point I am making is that the only way to beat the prejudiced is to give them absolutely nothing to feed on. Flare up and they just use that to endorse their prejudice.

I know that is completely fucking unfair but that is the world we live in.     
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #1065 on: June 3, 2020, 01:55:32 am »
No as a white male I have never encountered racism. However, as person who happened to be born in Liverpool in the sixties I am well aware of prejudice. I might have had a temporary advantage because I couldn't be identified by my colour but as soon as I opened my mouth I soon became a minority.

After getting my degree my first job was met with an introduction in to the workplace. That resulted in my manager saying that the 89 all Merseyside FA Cup final was a chance to put a tent over Wembley and gas the 'Fucking' lot of you. That was a couple of months after Hillsborough.

As a 50 year old male I am completely used to being called a thief just because I come from Liverpool. I am completely aware of prejudice.

The point I am making is that the only way to beat the prejudiced is to give them absolutely nothing to feed on. Flare up and they just use that to endorse their prejudice.

I know that is completely fucking unfair but that is the world we live in.     
The ironic thing is, that by continuing to harp on about looting, you are doing the opposite of what you say you want. You have turned a thread about protests against the systemic racism of the police force into a looting discussion group.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: June 3, 2020, 02:13:44 am »
It''s mental how you do this in every single thread no matter what the subject is.

Unbelievable.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1067 on: June 3, 2020, 02:14:48 am »

Embarrassing. This sums it up:

The ironic thing is, that by continuing to harp on about looting, you are doing the opposite of what you say you want. You have turned a thread about protests against the systemic racism of the police force into a looting discussion group.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #1068 on: June 3, 2020, 02:17:09 am »
Worse than George and Mildred.

At ;east there was comedy in that

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1069 on: June 3, 2020, 02:20:41 am »

Use your brain praise the fantastic none violent demonstrations that have turned the debate our way and condemn the looting that has given Trumps supporters something to feed on.

That is what Obama and George Floyd's brother are doing.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2020, 02:22:42 am by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1070 on: June 3, 2020, 02:21:09 am »
Things getting heated now. Tear gas in Atlanta, still big crowds in DC, Columbus, NYC and Dallas. People still out in LA too.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1071 on: June 3, 2020, 03:41:52 am »
Looting is bad and it's sad that it's happening, it's not excusable. I think that's about all you can say on it.

People's concerns about looting is that the far/alt-right use it as a weapon to counter the movement, and that sucks. But the reality is if it wasn't looting they'd find something else - these people don't need much prompting.
:D

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: June 3, 2020, 05:28:49 am »
Sums the police up.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: June 3, 2020, 06:51:50 am »
Sums the police up.

That photo is misleading. They aren't pointing the gun at the person in the photo. This isn't to defend their actions by any means.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: June 3, 2020, 06:58:09 am »
Another thing is that I would never bring my children to a protest under the current circumstances, and never approach aggressive police officers with one of my daughters.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: June 3, 2020, 07:27:56 am »
Another thing is that I would never bring my children to a protest under the current circumstances, and never approach aggressive police officers with one of my daughters.

Yeah it's fucking idiotic.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1076 on: June 3, 2020, 08:23:39 am »
That photo is misleading. They aren't pointing the gun at the person in the photo. This isn't to defend their actions by any means.

The focus on that pic just looks all wrong, there's too much difference in definition between the guy and his kid and the cops. I wouldn't put it past them like but that photo just doesn't look right.

Looks to me that the protester is much closer to the camera than where that gun is pointing.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: June 3, 2020, 08:27:45 am »
Just seen this on Twitter.
Regular days off have been canceled for all uniformed members of the NYPD, meaning that all 36,000 police officers in the force must now work 12-hour shifts for seven days a week until further notice.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: June 3, 2020, 08:33:36 am »

Maybe he was going to the shop for a pint of milk and they approached him?
Not everyone on the street is a protester........

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: June 3, 2020, 08:34:07 am »
Just seen this on Twitter.

Got an actual source?

I'm sure that's going to motivate them to calm their response when meeting the protestors..
I have no idea what I’m taking about