Author Topic: Louis Van Gaal was the Manager of Mourinho United  (Read 3903658 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Louis Van Gaal is the current Manager of Manchester United
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »
They'll finish around 75 points.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #361 on: May 20, 2014, 03:59:58 pm »

Sounds about right.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • My blog
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2014, 04:03:59 pm »
they have the talent, the question is can us and the four other teams with money hold them off for one more season so they'll be back on our revenue level.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #363 on: May 20, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
yea but 80 points is a title bid and 70 points could be 5th place.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: May 20, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »
Van Gaal isn't really a manager to spend huge amounts is he? I mean he isn't shy in the market but hardly a Mourinho.

From what I know of him anyway (which admittedly won't be as much as others) he seems to value the training ground more than the transfer market which makes this 'war chest' they are going to spend this summer a little misplaced.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #365 on: May 20, 2014, 04:11:19 pm »
they have the talent, the question is can us and the four other teams with money hold them off for one more season so they'll be back on our revenue level.
Yes.

You think this season was bad for them, next season will be worse. The fear factor has been utterly wiped away now, well and truly. While there were still teams who rolled over this season, enough showed a bit of fight and put them away. Next season will be even worse, as loads of teams will go in believing they can not only get something, but roll them over. They have always been a massive scalp, but loads of teams just looked to just not get beat and survive against them, now they'll want to scalp them, and more importantly will believe they can.

That's just one of the many factors they have to deal with. You add them all up and it will be very hard for them to get back to the CL places.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2014, 04:18:34 pm »
If challenging for 4th place means Man Utd come  5-7th again...then you've got it correct.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »
I think most realize this but aren't giving it enough thought.

RvP will be telling Van Gaal all he needs to know about the players at Man Utd during the Holland training sessions. Van Gaal will have a pretty good idea himself from watching the videos of MU's performances last season.

When the WC is over and Van Gall reports for duty, it won't take long for players to divide into a couple camps. Some will see RvP as the teacher pet and chief snitch. They will use Giggs as their confidant. Which will set up the two camps.

The media will under report this not wanting to acerbate the problem until United are out of the race for 4th. So like the Moyes situation the articles will be soft until spring time when the realities start to kick in.

Then it becomes a Van Gaal v Giggs battle royal.  But that isn't really the problem and the media will miss the goal again. The problem will be one of stability. So it will be either clean out the closet with Van Gaal or twist and keep Giggs who goes to their 3rd way of playing. In either event, instant success is very unlikely. Because at the end of the day, there's a rebuilding job to do.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »
If challenging for 4th place means Man Utd come  5-7th again...then you've got it correct.
5th for me.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2014, 04:37:20 pm »
Shitting it aren't you lads? ;)
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »
No, because wherever you end up, we'll be above you :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »

Define "title challenge" for me one last time please?!

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:09 pm »
I am no expert on ManUtdology but, asides from De Gea, Rooney and Rvp, what other top player do they currently have?

Mata is in that bracket. Januzaj will be soon. Rafael (on 2012-13 form) is a brilliant right-back who went backwards last season under Moyes. And plenty of others are good players who can deliver infinitely more than they did last season because the ability is there i.e. Nani, Evans, Welbeck, Jones, Smalling. No team has 11 world class players... for Louis it will be about getting the most out of good players who underperformed last season whilst blending them with three or four top players.

I remember reading on here 12-18 months ago plenty of criticism of Skrtel, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Johnson... yet these players all played pivotal roles in a real title challenge. Rodgers got the most out of them, like Fergie used to do with many of our lads. Louis' biggest test is doing the same.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »
That ended with Ferguson.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #374 on: May 20, 2014, 04:40:52 pm »
I am no expert on ManUtdology but, asides from De Gea, Rooney and Rvp, what other top player do they currently have?

Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »
Haha!

No.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »
Was Januzaj injured towards the end of the season? Didn't play many games did he.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2014, 04:58:37 pm »

If we do...those below us won't be smelling so good.. :wave

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »

Mata?

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »
The fact that we aren't slightly bothered about you should have you shitting yourself. :P
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #380 on: May 20, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »

Mata

Then Janazai, and that 18 year old they've been on about for a couple years (scored a brace v Norwich i think) could be stars
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #381 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »

No, I'm sure Jones must be.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #382 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »
Van Gaal is a "take no prisoners"  "my way or the highway guy" and that isn't just with the media and players. It will be the same for Giggs and the entire staff and board at United -including him not being worried about taking shots at the "legacy".
He's like Roy Keane but with actual success as a coach. He doesn't give a shit who he offends.

The club will either embrace it and let him do what he wants and needs to do, putting up with the collateral damage, or they will be in shock and allow camps to upset the progress.

I don't really see a middle ground.

I suspect the latter because the Class of 92 has so much access to the media, and Ferguson will be incapable of keeping his mouth shut if there is any hint of a pop at his squad legacy, or the club culture by Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal.

If it goes the other way then United will have a very good manager and will get back to competing at the very highest level quickly, maybe not in one season, but in two for sure.

Offline Pidalow

• Legacy Fan
  • Success is not forever and failure isn’t fatal.
« Reply #383 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:18 pm »
What this season has shown is that you should not underestimate anyone in the league. It would not suprise me one bit if United challenge for the title next season.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:20 pm »
What this season has shown is that you should not underestimate anyone in the league. It would not suprise me one bit if United challenge for the title next season.
It would me.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »
Yeah. me neither.

Just like Everton challenge for it.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #386 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:37 pm »
I liked you as somebody from the same town, but sorry Mr Van Gaal. You're now officially a c*nt and there's nothing you can do about it.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #387 on: May 20, 2014, 06:30:40 pm »
I think they will do the Quadruple. Oh, hang on...........
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: May 20, 2014, 06:44:30 pm »
Telegraph's take on it:
The Glazers bought Manchester United nine years ago, but only now is the takeover complete. Louis van Gaal's appointment as manager was by the Glazers, for the Glazers, and brings to a close the age in which the club’s American owners tiptoed around tradition.
During Mr. Ferguson's long reign, the Glazers allowed the football side of England’s biggest club to run itself. There was no need to impose big footballing decisions from above. While Ferguson ran the trophy factory, the Glazers fixed their energies on servicing the club’s debt by extending the commercial reach to snacks, drinks, photocopiers and tyres. Even when Ferguson stepped down a year to the day prior to Van Gaal’s appointment, the decision to hire David Moyes looked like an extension of Fergie Time.
United’s fans can say goodbye to all that. There was probably no symbolic importance to Van Gaal signing exactly 12 months after United’s 5-5 draw at West Brom on the final day of the 2012-13 season – but the rumble of shifting furniture is unmistakable. After the failed experiment with Moyes – and the corporate disinclination to rush Ryan Giggs up the line to the No 1 job – the Glazers have played it ultra-safe, picking a name from the slim brochure of managers with a proven ability to control the biggest clubs.
Van Gaal is the inverse of Moyes. He is a technocratic autocrat, a continental A-lister who is romantic in his inclinations about the game but no abstract thinker in the more extreme Dutch sense. Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Holland jumped out at the Glazers after Moyes’s CV had listed his achievements at Preston North End and Everton. Van Gaal is invariably described as “arrogant”. Moyes, on the other hand, could be unyielding in his approach to training and team selection but was never equipped to impose his record or personality on a dressing room of multimillionaires.
Van Gaal knows that a modern top-echelon squad is a human powder keg.
He will not see the love or approval of those players who turned against Moyes. The drip of admiring comment about Robin van Persie suggests Van Gaal has already identified his main ally at Old Trafford. This will create its own tensions, given Van Persie’s meagre contribution last season, though manager and star player will be helped by the unavoidable realism about how far United have fallen.
Though the appointment bears the imprint of Ed Woodward, their commercial dealmaker supreme, it also fits the business logic of trans-Atlantic owners who are ready to join the European mainstream of two-to-three year managerial cycles.
Ajax aside, in his early days, Van Gaal is not one for long stays. He imposes his will on players, fires them out of a cannon and then either falls out with people or goes hunting for new experiences. The Glazers will be happy with that. Though Ryan Giggs is Van Gaal’s assistant manager – the most prestigious title all sides could have come up with – United’s owners were obviously not looking to be captive to the Class of ’92: the gang of legends who rode back in on tanks when Moyes was sacked.
Keeping Giggs could be cast as succession planning. More likely, Woodward and the Glazers felt a Van Gaal-Giggs dream team would be the best formula for success without allowing Fergie’s Fledglings too much power. The combination has much to commend it. Giggs, if he avoids looking at his calendar like Gordon Brown waiting to take over from Tony Blair, is the bridge to all ages at the academy, as well as most first-team players.
The legacy of Sir Matt Busby and Ferguson is not part of the new equation, except in the sense that Van Gaal, too, expects his teams to attack with a dagger between their teeth.
Positivity, entertainment, charisma, authority. The Glazers have signed up to them all. They no longer think in dynasties and 10-year reigns. No other big European club, with the exception of Arsenal, is in the hands of an immovable patriarch. The velvet transition to Moyes has given way to one of the biggest cultural changes in the club’s history, with United turning to Europe for the first time, and another wholesale reshaping of the coaching staff.
Van Gaal’s countenance is suitably aggressive, his style of play appropriately bold and his record befitting of the Manchester United manager’s job. Less clear is the club’s ability to attract the half-dozen players he needs to compete with England’s current top four. By any measure, they need a full-back on both sides, at least one centre-half and two central midfielders (preferably three). The chain of command in the transfer market from the Glazers to Van Gaal runs through Woodward. There is no reason why the new manager should agree with Moyes’s choices but equally plenty of risk and drawing up a new list and starting from zero.
We already know Van Gaal will have an energising effect. Now player recruitment becomes the crux. As the Glazers complete their annexation of the club by hiring a big shot 12 months to the day after Ferguson’s retirement, the hard part still awaits. United have their big-name manager. Now they need a team.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03:44 pm »

Chelsea are the only lot im shitting it from. City ain't got the hunger to go back to back. Arsenal are Arsenal.

While yourselves, you will improve and threaten us but not enough to overtake us. I can see you being within 6 points off us though, which would be a good achievement.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:57 pm »
Chelsea are the only lot im shitting it from. City ain't got the hunger to go back to back. Arsenal are Arsenal.

While yourselves, you will improve and threaten us but not enough to overtake us. I can see you being within 6 points off us though, which would be a good achievement.

I think like after '09, Liverpool won't be able to mount another title challenge so soon. You kept going on momentum and adrenalin and your players gave everything, but I think narrowly missing out may have broken them. I don't think they have it in them to go again.

City and Chelsea will benefit from their managers getting a season under their belts, Arsenal are reinvigorated by winning a trophy and United simply from not having Moyes in charge.

You won't fall away as dramatically as you did that season but I think you've blown your best chance in 25 years.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #391 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:40 pm »
Yep, we blew it winning all those points.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #392 on: May 20, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »
I think like after '09, Liverpool won't be able to mount another title challenge so soon. You kept going on momentum and adrenalin and your players gave everything, but I think narrowly missing out may have broken them. I don't think they have it in them to go again.

City and Chelsea will benefit from their managers getting a season under their belts, Arsenal are reinvigorated by winning a trophy and United simply from not having Moyes in charge.

You won't fall away as dramatically as you did that season but I think you've blown your best chance in 25 years.
We had a lot going on off the pitch after the last time, we don't have that now, we are stable. While we might not challenge, the immediate goal will be to cement being a top 4 club and getting in the CL every season and build from there. So I don't think we will fall away as such, more that we will achieve what we set out to do.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »

Not at all. We didn't mount a challenge in 09-10 because of what was happening off the field, not what was happening on it. No such distractions this time. We'll be in the mix going into the last month.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #394 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »

Nah.

Rodgers is a bit of a genius to be honest. You've underestimated him already (you've got on record to say so), and you're doing it again. Learn from your mistakes.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
Not at all. We didn't mount a challenge in 09-10 because of what was happening off the field, not what was happening on it. No such distractions this time. We'll be in the mix going into the last month.
Quite the opposite in fact.

Commercial plans are coherent with relastic new stadium plans.....

Things couldn't be better off the pitch....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
Someone posted on twitter that the current coaches of Man U, Bayern, Barca, Chelsea, Valencia and Porto, along with the Spain U21 coach were all together at the Camp Nou in 1997 when van Gaal was coach there.

Johan Cruyff's legacy is incredible. By a distance the most important figure in post-war European football.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

royhendo

« Reply #397 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:35 pm »

The funny thing is, Van Gaal will do a great job. It'll be your unreasonable expectations and lack of solid management around him that'll fuck it up. But he'll get the blame. It'll be like holding a massive mirror up to yourselves.

royhendo

« Reply #398 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:06 pm »
Wow, and you think we won't improve from here either? Gonna be fun, this.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:49 pm »
70/30 for me....

Most likely to be a success, but there is a chance of huge conflict and fallout
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W