Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 541841 times)

Offline TheYashLFC

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Those articles just goes to show how clueless journalists are.

Sometimes, because of modern technology and twitter fame, these journalists think that are far more knowledgeable than regular fans. Having a ton of followers gives them a sense of importance. But at the end of the day they just report news and do interviews.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
Last season, if there were still anything preventing this squad from being one of great Europe's historic teams, they were/are:

- Lack of LB cover: we sign Tsimikas, who seems perfect for the job.
- Lack of a 'maestro' in midfield: we sign the best there is.
- Lack of forward depth: we sign Minamino, who was not ready in January, but is now. We apparently are also signing Jota. That's two additions.
- Relative lack of 'generational' players (we do have Van Dijk, but no Gerrard/Xavi/Iniesta/Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo).

We have fixed the first three, it seems. Now we just need Mbappe in 2021. Come on Edwards.*

*My point being that I think the only way we could improve further after this is by getting one or two hyper genius types.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:45:42 pm by rscanderlech »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
From James Pearce. This is Mikey Edwards negotiating skills.  8)

Key to getting the deal done was Wolves’ willingness to be flexible on payment terms. They have accepted less than 10% of the guaranteed figure in the next 12 months. Most of that offset by initial payment from Wolves for Hoever. #LFC

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The way this guy works has me convinced we're signing Mbappe next year and PSG will pay us for it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
Haha

Online Magz50

• Legacy Fan
Get in Mikey boy!! Signed on the Jota line!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Wish I'd taken him to negotiate the terms on my new car today...

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Who was it yesterday who said that Michael Edwards ought to be locked up?  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jonathan Northcroft, he's a journo from The Times.  ;D

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd hate to play poker against Edwards
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

You’d not even get to the game of poker before you realised you’d signed over your house, wife and first born.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We’d all love to play against Klopp though! Haha. That man can’t hide anything.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
Edwards is the Messiah! What the heck is he? Not human?
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Edwards is the Messiah! What the heck is he? Not human?

He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy good negotiator.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Our squad really is looking very healthy now. Naturally I’m sure we’d like to trim it a little and free up funds from the likes of Wilson, Grujic etc, but aside possibly from a centre back, we look the complete squad and realistically capable of fighting for all trophies.

The selection for Lincoln will be interesting.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Wish I'd taken him to negotiate the terms on my new car today...

He may have talked you out of buying the German car you really wanted and convinced you to buy a potentially inferior car for around the same amount of money. It would be a brilliant deal though because you only have to pay 10% of the cost upfront.

The question would be in a years time when you have to cough up the other 90% would you be kicking yourself for not buying the prestige German car.

I think the same is true of pulling out of a deal for Werner at £45m and then stumping up £41m potentially rising to £45m for Jota. We will only know whether it was a good idea in the fullness of time.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
He may have talked you out of buying the German car you really wanted and convinced you to buy a potentially inferior car for around the same amount of money. It would be a brilliant deal though because you only have to pay 10% of the cost upfront.

The question would be in a years time when you have to cough up the other 90% would you be kicking yourself for not buying the prestige German car.

I think the same is true of pulling out of a deal for Werner at £45m and then stumping up £41m potentially rising to £45m for Jota. We will only know whether it was a good idea in the fullness of time.
Didn't Werner get an €11m signing on fee + €15.5m a year? I very much doubt Jota is getting even a third of that so it's not a very good analogy.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Am I the only one who is a bit uneasy about the total value paid for Jota? I mean £41m is quite a lot for him.
How good is Jota? The focus always ends up being on Traore, Jimenez and Neto whenever Wolves are playing.

Otherwise, happy days!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Didn't Werner get an €11m signing on fee + €15.5m a year? I very much doubt Jota is getting even a third of that so it's not a very good analogy.

Jota is a client of Jorge Mendes so I wouldn't bank on a cheap signing on fee and wages.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan

You said before it needs to be paid within 2 years as per the premier league rules, there is quite a difference between paying 45m by June 2020 and 41m by september 2022

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
He’s playing cheat mode on FM. Taking over other clubs with fake managers and making deals that look just about acceptable like Thiago for £5 million a year.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Jota is a client of Jorge Mendes so I wouldn't bank on a cheap signing on fee and wages.

In fairness, they wouldn't commit to the Werner deal at a time when everything was up in the air with Covid. We didn't know if the season would even finish and whether that would mean TV monies not received, we didn't know what next season would entail, whether there'd be a CL etc. Chelsea weren't bothered.

Had Werner been willing to wait that deal could have been done at a later stage.

Jota won't be cheap but you're talking a lot less than Werner over the course of the contracts.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:43:12 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
You said before it needs to be paid within 2 years as per the premier league rules, there is quite a difference between paying 45m by June 2020 and 41m by september 2022

Has Al provided a source for this yet?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97

From an accounting point of view they are similar though both fees will be amortised over the length of their contracts. The difference is in terms of cash flow. The question will be was it worth passing on Werner because of cash flow when borrowing money is so cheap at the moment.

I think the sensible thing to do is to wait to pass judgement on whether we have taken the right course of action.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Where is your source for fees having to be paid within 2 years as per PL rules, Al?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
From an accounting point of view they are similar though both fees will be amortised over the length of their contracts. The difference is in terms of cash flow. The question will be was it worth passing on Werner because of cash flow when borrowing money is so cheap at the moment.

I think the sensible thing to do is to wait to pass judgement on whether we have taken the right course of action.
I understand the difference, that's why I said there is a big difference between the two payment by dates, which you brought up in your analogy.

Does Edwards get to decide on how much we loan from a bank?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I understand the difference, that's why I said there is a big difference between the two payment by dates, which you brought up in your analogy.

Does Edwards get to decide on how much we loan from a bank?

I mean it bizarrely keeps coming back to this increase debt to buy idea, which the club has clearly decided against given the structure of the Alcantara and Jota deals.

We’re already going to need to find £100m to fund the loss in revenue we’re due to make (and that’s at least £100m, could easily be more looking how things are going with the covid numbers right now), let alone to take on shit loads more now to fund the large upfront payment for certain players.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
Still an unsung hero in my opinion. He's been instrumental in us signing some of the best players in the world for bargain prices (relatively). FSG must love him.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan

See the current financial situation works for a man like Edwards over the medium term. With club revenues shrinking due to Covid, getting some guaranteed regular payments over several years helps clubs with their financial planning. Genius move.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
:D

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
So were we just pretending to be skint?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He’s playing cheat mode on FM. Taking over other clubs with fake managers and making deals that look just about acceptable like Thiago for £5 million a year.

But he will never admit it.  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Are you going to admit that you are wrong ?

For accounting purposes they are amortised over the length of the contract. That has nothing to do with how they are paid. Look at Coutinho we accepted staged payments and then sold that on to a third party in exchange for an immediate payment.

When looking at transfers you need to separate cash flow from accounting procedures.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97

Are you going to admit that you are wrong ?

No I am afraid you will have to point out what is wrong with the posts you quoted.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No I am afraid you will have to point out what is wrong with the posts you quoted.

The fuck I do (did last night),I'm not the fella chatting shite & making up non existent rules.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Al there is no rule in the FA and PL handbook saying you have to pay up within 2 years. I know because I looked it up. Just say you fucked up.  ;D

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Where is your source for fees having to be paid within 2 years as per PL rules, Al?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Michael Edwards: Good At Sporting Directoring But We All Think Klopp's Great Too
« Reply #879 on: September 19, 2020, 03:53:31 pm »
Where did you get the two year  payment rule from?