Author Topic: Match Preview - Liverpool v Sparta Praha, Europa League R16, Thursday 20h  (Read 16400 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Liverpool v Sparta Praha
Europa League R16, Thursday 20h
Anfield

Referee: Artur Dias POR
Assistant referees: Paulo Soares POR, Pedro Ribeiro POR
Fourth official: Gustavo Correia POR
Video Assistant Referee: Tiago Martins POR
Assistant Video Assistant RefereeHugo Miguel POR

Does this season ever stop?

I'm actually looking forward to the wretched International football break at this point, I'm simply emotionally exhausted. It has been in all honestly several weeks of such emotional intensity and pressure, that even though we aren't getting a break in the schedule - a break in intensity will be more than welcome. We have the result, we've done the hard work and we're at Anfield. So this match should be different to the rollercoaster of nail-biting, last minute, against all odds games we've been on in past weeks.

Sparta didn't play badly in the first game, well to me at least. Their keeper was kind of crap, we scored (well, Darwin did) a few worldies but they kept finding the way to our goal repeatedly, at times too easily. It was their final pass and finishing that just as consistently let them down, the difference in quality was obvious and the end result reflected it. It does seem they put a lot emotionally into that game, because over the past weekend they were comprehensively beaten 4-0 by third place team FC Viktoria Plzeň - all goals coming in the second half. They are still top in their league, but to me that result speaks of a team that was physically and emotionally drained and the fatigue caught up to them against a solid team. And team they'll face at Anfield will be much stronger than Viktoria, even with expected flurry of changes to Liverpool's lineup. Only thing in their favour is that they can play completely unburdened. It looks like it's over, they are away in what will be the biggest game of many of their careers - they can just go out there and savour the moment, show their best. But I'm sure we'll expect this and also have enough on the bench to stop them if needed.

What about us? Well, for us this game is really even split between 'play those who need minutes' and 'rest those who played a lot'. That's about it. I can see Mo, Szobo, Nunez getting 45 minutes, possibly Konate if he's actually fit to train before the game. Rotate everything else really but especially Mac, Harvey, Diaz and Van Dijk. We can afford to rotate heavily, we should use that to our benefit. Use the game to get sharper and fitter for Old Trafford, use that one to fire another manager.

Life is simple.
Liverpool are amazing.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Is Danns good to go for this one?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Can the Legends team play in this one as well?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Thanks Zlen.  I'm the opposite to you and fully onboard the more-games-the-merrier bandwagon at the moment  ;D

Does anyone know the last time we lost by 4+ goals at home?  I can remember the horrible away days at Stoke and Villa but I don't remember anyone turning us over at Anfield for a really long time.

The kids were less involved against Man City - just Quansah and Bradley (and Elliott) - so I'd be happy to see a few of them come into the midfield and forward lines.  McConnell, Clark and Danns would seem the most likely.

If we could find a way to give Virgil the night off that would be great.  Maybe Quansah and Gomez together for the first (?) time.

Is Danns good to go for this one?
As far as I know he is.  He was out due to the 7-day concussion protocol which meant he didn't get a chance to train ahead of the Man City game.  He should be back amongst it now.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Gakpo, Danns, Mo front 3. Find what we can for elsewhere from Quansah, Robbo/Tsimikas, Clark, Dom etc. Get it done!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Play the kids' aunts.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Play the kids' aunts.

Yeah but if aunts get injured, kids might not get their birthday socks and deodorants on time, which might impact Liverpool negatively. Much better to go for kids fourth cousins. Better safe than sorry.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
i would go

kelleher
Gomez 45/Bradley45 Quansah Robertson Tsimikas
               McConnell
   Szobo45-60            Clark
Salah 60     Danns      Gakpo

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
i would go

kelleher
Gomez 45/Bradley45 Quansah Robertson Tsimikas
               McConnell
   Szobo45-60            Clark
Salah 60     Danns      Gakpo

Quite like this. Might see Robertson or Tsimikas at right back with Gomez in the middle.
JFT97

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Should be a fun evening knowing progression is surely sealed. Sparta lost 4-0 the other day so probably scarred by last Thursday evening. It's probably in their best interest to rest players knowing they have very little chance of going through and have seen their lead in the league cut to a point.

Kelleher
Tsimikas   Quansah   Gomez   Robbo
McConnell   Clark   Szoboszlai
Salah   Danns   Gakpo

Bench should also come in handy. Bradley can play half again, maybe Koumas on for a bit too. Big opportunity for some of the young ones to experience European football at Anfield.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thought I was losing it when I saw the date in the thread title.

We play this Thursday, the 14th, not the 20th as that's a Wednesday 😂🤦

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
Wonder if we might see Adrian in goal for this one?
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thought I was losing it when I saw the date in the thread title.

We play this Thursday, the 14th, not the 20th as that's a Wednesday 😂🤦

It’s 20h or 8 PM.
Sorry for freaking you out. 😁

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Hopefully Gakpo gets a full 90, and can contribute to a goal and get his confidence up. Want to see Trey Nyoni get a run out. 4 clear goals is surely enough to hold off Sparta.
Seen us win everything

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Zlen, I can’t make it to this but my daughters will be there. Feel that we will see a mix of youth and those needing minutes. Would not be surprised with Kelleher, Bradley, Gomez, Quansah, Robertson (cap), O’ Connell, Clarke, Szoboszlai, Gakpo, Nunez, Elliott with Salah, Nyoni, Macca, Endo and VVD able to sub on at appropriate times.
That is unless Gravenberch or Jones can make an appearance from the bench.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Kelleher
Salah   Danns   Gakpo
:thumbup

Kostas and Robbo both need minutes so Kostas at right back would be interesting.  He's certainly got a decent right foot on him.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan

Kelleher
Salah   Danns   Gakpo

I would actually start Bradley. I know he's playing a lot of games, but not the full 90 and there's no indication he is injury prone yet. I'd look to give him, Salah, Szoboszlai and Robbo another 60, then bring on Tsimikas and god knows who else to finish the game.

Otherwise this is exactly the line-up I had in mind and what I really think Klopp will do with. I think no question Robbo, Salah and Szoboszlai need the minutes.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
                          Alisson

Trent           Konate           Matip        Tsimikas

Bajcetic    Thiago   Jones

Doak                Danns               Jota

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
Do we have an under 5's team?
150 IQ never wrong.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Heavy rotation for the one with one eye on the FA cup game

Kelleher

Bradley Gomez Quansah Tsimikas

Clark Endo(subbed at HT for Mac) Szobo (needs to build form)

Salah (needs to build fitness) Gakpo Koumas.

We have to be careful with our midfield selection because we need experience in there.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm surprised to see Gakpo on all of these lineups. I agree that he needs to build confidence, but he also needs a freaking rest. Harvey, too.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
I'm surprised to see Gakpo on all of these lineups. I agree that he needs to build confidence, but he also needs a freaking rest. Harvey, too.
He didn't start the last game.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
Any chance Kelleher gets a rest?

Would also play Gakpo. Not sure hes played as many minutes as the rest.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Play Gakpo, Kostas, Dom and Mo the build team round them.

Some of them need minutes in legs so makes sense.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Love European nights at Anfield.

We have done well and have a good start, but need to concentrate to get through this round with one eye on Sunday.

Up the Mighty European Reds!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would give VVD, Mac and Lucho the night off. No disrespect to Sparta but even with our reserves and kids we should have enough to get through. I’m all for heavy rotation and giving players the minutes they need to get back in form.

Adrian
Bradley
Gomez
Quansah
Kostas
McConnel
Dom
Tea lady (Clark if he’s fit)
Gakpo
Danns
Harvey
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Play Gakpo, Kostas, Dom and Mo the build team round them.

Some of them need minutes in legs so makes sense.

Some senior players need minutes, others need a rest. I'd sit Harvey, Endo and Mac out but 1 or 2 on the bench. Diaz rest, Gakpo i'd play maybe a half each with Nunez if both fit). Rest Gomez and Virg, have Gomez on the bench.

Bring in Danns, Mcconnell, Clark, Tsimikas and have a couple of more youngsters ready to bring on if and when the tie is closed out.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Adrian!!!
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Whatever team starts is fine by me....am sure all the allowed minutes have been calculated and this can be a good game to play without so much intensity
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Really not a fan of allowing sides any foothold at all so get an early goal or two to really shut the tie down then go enjoy themselves

Got a feeling that Sparta will come flying out first 5-10 mins to force what they can. Hit them on the counter and take the wind out.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Thanks Zlen. I agree with you about Sparta. They did cause us problems.

I thought that regular Thursday nights in the Europa would cause us problems at the start of the season. But right now they are gold dust. Here's a chance not only to blood the young 'uns but also to coax senior players back to full fitness. Mo will surely start this one, and Szobozslai will be grateful to get some more miles in his legs. I'd imagine that Bobby Clark will be given a berth too so he can continue his good work.

No doubt it will start to feel like a friendly if we get our noses in front on the night. But there again Jurgen doesn't really do friendlies.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
This. Harvey definitely needs a rest. Maca and Endo too. Gomez could use one, I think, but we're stretched for CB
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
This. Harvey definitely needs a rest. Maca and Endo too. Gomez could use one, I think, but we're stretched for CB

Tsimikas has played CB for Greece so could put him there we wont will we ?!

Clark Danns McComnell all need to start to

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
kelleher

bradley gomez quansah kostas

sobo endo clark

salah cody koumas

second half changes
bradley, gomez, sobo, endo ,mo

you could play robo at centre half depending on how many goals we are ahead

also clark or mcconnell could play right back when bradley gets a rest second half

danns or gordon would replace mo

elliot or trey to replace sobo

virg and macca i wouldnt even bother putting them on the bench keep them rested for the mancs

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader

cody is getting a rest next sunday

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Some senior players need minutes, others need a rest. I'd sit Harvey, Endo and Mac out but 1 or 2 on the bench. Diaz rest, Gakpo i'd play maybe a half each with Nunez if both fit). Rest Gomez and Virg, have Gomez on the bench.

Bring in Danns, Mcconnell, Clark, Tsimikas and have a couple of more youngsters ready to bring on if and when the tie is closed out.
Just how I see it too. Szobo and Salah need the minutes, Gakpo isn't playing against United (I'd give him maximum time). If Kostas doesn't play now then when? If Konate is questionable for United, I'd mull over giving Gomez a rest.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
Tsimikas has played CB for Greece so could put him there we wont will we ?!

Clark Danns McComnell all need to start to

Good point about Tsimi
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It’s 20h or 8 PM.
Sorry for freaking you out. 😁

FFS mate 🤦

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
Adrian
Bradley Quansah Gomez Robertson
Clark endo Elliott
Salah danns Gakpo

Dom for endo at half time
Koumas for Salah at half time
Tsimikas for Robertson at half time

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the OP Zlen.

Sparta should really have scored at least a couple more last week but like you said, it was a big game for them. I can't seem them being that intense in the second leg and it may be bit of drab affair given the scoreline. Like you, I'd like to see Salah start, together with Szoboszlai and Nunez and give the likes of Mac Allister and Elliot, who have been playing a lot recently, a bit of a rest. They should all start on Sunday though.

Think Quansah will start but would like to see Danns and Clark start too. Then hopefully if it's comfortable enough, give the likes of McConnell and Koumas some time as well. That's the ideal scenario, hopefully we won't be caught cold early on.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.