Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 237138 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2019, 01:37:41 am »
I find this perspective interesting. They probably think this way because they've Eriksen in midfield, but I think they're discounting how technical and creative our fullbacks actually are, while not considering Fabinho as our 6 adds another technical level to our side - we're stronger pressers on and off the ball than before.

We have scored more goals in the last 20 minutes than we have in the first part of the game so they're talking nonsense. Our performance against them in the 2nd half wasn't good, but we were coming from an international break and we also had a game in midweek to follow.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: May 11, 2019, 02:45:02 am »
Can't fucking wait for this.

Lads just imagine a jubilant Sir Harry England of Kane lifting the Champions League trophy ala Gerrard in 2005.

It cannot be allowed to happen. For the good of all mankind we will not let this happen. No more final losses. This will be the day we arrive. Put these fucking no marks and their little manufactured rivalry with us back in their box.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:49:18 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #402 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:07 am »
Why were they not a great side. One of the top teams in a top 5 league. You don't get to the CL final without being a great side because you have to consistently get past the best teams in Europe to get there over two legs.

I'm going to file this under the same hyperbole where people call players "world class" because they don't know what "world class" means.

Ajax 70-73 were a great side. Nottingham Forest 78-80 were a great side. Barca 2008-2012 were a great side. Liverpool 86-89 were a great side. Liverpool 77-85 were a great side. Real Madrid 2015-2018 were a great side.

Getting to a cup final doesn't make you a "great side".

The Monaco team you mention as being a "great side" didn't even win Ligue 1.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: May 11, 2019, 05:36:13 am »
I'm going to file this under the same hyperbole where people call players "world class" because they don't know what "world class" means.

Ajax 70-73 were a great side. Nottingham Forest 78-80 were a great side. Barca 2008-2012 were a great side. Liverpool 86-89 were a great side. Liverpool 77-85 were a great side. Real Madrid 2015-2018 were a great side.

Bingo

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #404 on: May 11, 2019, 06:16:33 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y-XHMlaJL-s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y-XHMlaJL-s</a>
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: May 11, 2019, 09:48:53 am »

So if by that definition, we aren't a great side either because we haven't won anything. So long as you are consistent then I can accept that. Personally think we are a great side. Those sides you mentioned above are all time great sides. So seems we are on the same page but our definitions differ.

This isn't just a cup final. It's the toughest competition in club football with the best sides and best managers and best tactics and best everything. You haven't proven anything until you prove yourself.in this competition.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:50:33 am by LFC when it suits »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2019, 10:03:17 am »
So if by that definition, we aren't a great side either because we haven't won anything. So long as you are consistent then I can accept that. Personally think we are a great side. Those sides you mentioned above are all time great sides. So seems we are on the same page but our definitions differ.

This isn't just a cup final. It's the toughest competition in club football with the best sides and best managers and best tactics and best everything. You haven't proven anything until you prove yourself.in this competition.

Our 2004/2005 team weren't a great side. We just had an amazing manager who knew how to set up against better teams. This Spurs side aren't great. They've got extremely lucky to get this far. They were lucky to even get out of the group and only did so as Inter fucked up in their last game. Getting to 1 final does not make a great side.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #407 on: May 11, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
We'll score against them almost surely. The best thing Spurs have going for them is that it's football in 2019 where every game including a massive cup final can become a high scoring shootout, which they would love.

For me the best thing we have going for us is our familiarity with Spurs. Underdogs can usually win by pulling some surprise, but this team is well aware of any and all of Spurs many tricks. We'll be ready.

Don't underestimate our defensive capability.

We're not silly like Man City who were only 1-0 down after the first leg against Spurs, and decided to go all gung-ho attack from the first minute in the 2nd leg. They wanted to blitz them in the first half, the same approach they had against us in the CL 2nd leg last year. They ran out of steam and couldn't keep going.

In those key games, they didn't value the concept of keeping a cleansheet (or keeping it tight), like we did against Barcelona. Pep will look at what we did the other night and rue how he couldn't overcome just a 1-0 defeat from the first leg.

We're a proper 90 minute team. We were happy with 1-0 at half-time against Barca, knowing that we would get stronger in the second half, and there was a strong emphasis of keeping a clean sheet whether we did enough to get through or not.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:24:25 am by SweetSilverSevens »

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:51 am »
For anyone still narked that Spurs got through rather than Ajax, just imagine how nauseating this week would have been if we’d got knocked out on Tuesday and then Spurs had gotten through.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2019, 11:11:56 am »
Our 2004/2005 team weren't a great side. We just had an amazing manager who knew how to set up against better teams. This Spurs side aren't great. They've got extremely lucky to get this far. They were lucky to even get out of the group and only did so as Inter fucked up in their last game. Getting to 1 final does not make a great side.

You win the champions league then you are a great side..especially when you look at all the great teams we got past over two legs. The prize at the end symbolises the you best. People acting like you aren't the best because you won a cup.competition is making excuses for not being able to handle the pressure in a do or die situation when it really matters.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2019, 11:13:11 am »

;D

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #411 on: May 11, 2019, 11:26:57 am »
We better be wearing red for this.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we have some sponsorship obligation to wear purple.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: May 11, 2019, 11:28:58 am »
Everything went Spurs way in the city games. Aguero penalty miss which would have given them the away goal and two VAR decisions.

City playing open football and no Fernandinho gave Spurs lots of space. That isn't happening again.

What worries me a little more is that diving shit house trio of Kane, Lamela and Alli.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 11, 2019, 11:30:34 am »

I'm not sure why people keep bringing this up, we can wear red and most likely will.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #414 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:41 am »

What sponsorship obligation would see us wearing purple?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:51 am »
Everything went Spurs way in the city games. Aguero penalty miss which would have given them the away goal and two VAR decisions.

City playing open football and no Fernandinho gave Spurs lots of space. That isn't happening again.

What worries me a little more is that diving shit house trio of Kane, Lamela and Alli.

Kane might not even make it (although they'll probably rush him back and cause him to get injured), plus others have said they don't get away it as much with continental referees. We'll deal with them.

Kane might also want to be ready for the Nations League as England could win a minor trophy, hopefully if he plays in Madrid he'll be scared of getting injured for that.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2019, 11:38:53 am »

Disagree with you on this.

The idea of "world class" is so incredibly subjective that no-one has the right to say: "this is the correct definition".

A friend of mine (Lincoln fan since their non-league days) holds the view that (nearly) all Premier League footballers are world class as they're at the elite level of football. Another mate uses the analogy of "if earth had to have a match against Mars - whereby if we lose, humanity is wiped out - it'd be the best 22 players on earth that we'd play to win the match."

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:48 am »
Barney's prediction league

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2019, 11:42:10 am »

The refs used in the CL are not as useless as our own, I'm confident that will not decide this game. If they use Kane, there is no way he will be at his best he won't be match fit.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2019, 11:43:00 am »

If we were to lift that trophy wearing the away/3rd strip, it would make that jersey sell a lot more (whereas the red will sell anyway).

Cynical I know. Actually not sure if obligation was the right word.... insentive?

I just want confirmation that we are wearing red and they are wearing white  ;D
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2019, 11:53:53 am »

The beauty of VAR.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2019, 12:03:45 pm »
If we were to lift that trophy wearing the away/3rd strip, it would make that jersey sell a lot more (whereas the red will sell anyway).

Cynical I know. Actually not sure if obligation was the right word.... insentive?

I just want confirmation that we are wearing red and they are wearing white  ;D

The old kits won’t be on sale then anyway, or at least only old stock left (doubt much).

It would be more likely we’ll wear the new home kit if that’s their thinking.

Personally I’d rather we wore the current home then released a collectors edition type kit like we did in 05.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2019, 12:14:21 pm »
These are the days my friends. These. Are. The Days.

:scarf

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:35 pm »

none.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #424 on: May 11, 2019, 12:52:39 pm »
To see those scenes at Anfield on Tuesday and how Klopp is so clearly intertwined with every single aspect of this club, it feels like this trophy would be the culmination of 3 years of hard work and development in all areas. Runners up last year and winners this year would show huge character to bounce back, and if we're runners up tomorrow then we'll have even more experience for a title push next year.

Regardless of how Spurs play, we will be so hard to beat. Our experience of the final last year is massive, and when you add in our defensive quality, ability to score any time, ability to hold onto a lead, and to come from behind or score late, we have all of the ingredients needed to bring home number 6. Its the very least Klopp, the players and fans deserve after what everyone has put into this incredible season.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »
To see those scenes at Anfield on Tuesday and how Klopp is so clearly intertwined with every single aspect of this club, it feels like this trophy would be the culmination of 3 years of hard work and development in all areas. Runners up last year and winners this year would show huge character to bounce back, and if we're runners up tomorrow then we'll have even more experience for a title push next year.

Regardless of how Spurs play, we will be so hard to beat. Our experience of the final last year is massive, and when you add in our defensive quality, ability to score any time, ability to hold onto a lead, and to come from behind or score late, we have all of the ingredients needed to bring home number 6. Its the very least Klopp, the players and fans deserve after what everyone has put into this incredible season.

For me, winning this Champions League will mean so much because it will feel like redemption. Losing last year was such a tough pill to swallow in the way that we did. All the buzz and excitement leading up to the final  and for literally everything to go against us. Felt so cruel and unfair

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2019, 02:23:33 pm »
Tottenham selling half and half mugs ahead of the final.  ::)

https://www.givemesport.com/1474675-tottenham-are-selling-halfandhalf-mugs-ahead-of-the-champions-league-final-vs-liverpool

Bit sad really.

Wonder how many Bitters will be buying them tomorrow? ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 11, 2019, 02:27:57 pm »
Liverpool have their history, lineage, the experience of last year, and top quality players grimly determined not to repeat that experience.

Spurs have euphoria, literally living the dream, and have shown themselves capable of using that to put almost any other team to the sword.

Makes for a very evenly balanced and exciting contest. 

City have no European pedigree. Ajax have a legacy of successful European competition, but nothing of note trophy wise for a generation.  Spurs dispatched both with guts and determination, but now they'll be coming up against the real deal.  Not a Barcelona or Real Madrid in a group stage.  But a Liverpool side that is lean and hungry, with a European legacy that is very much alive and well and continues to be built on.

Spurs haven't seen Liverpool in its guise as European Royalty.  They haven't seen how our fans can take over an entire stadium, to the point where it just looks like we moved Anfield for the day.   

Will they wilt, or will they rise to the challenge?  They've got nothing to lose and will play their hearts out.  But there's no second leg and there's no away goals.  There's no week long "half time" breather to take stock, analyse and wait for players to come back from knocks.  They have to do the business in 90/120 minutes.  And so do we. 

I think the rest will do them more harm than good.  This will be in their minds for the next three weeks, as it will be in ours - but we've been here before.  Our third final in the past four years.  With a stronger team than ever before and one that has proven it can survive without its talismen.

Spurs may dive, but they don't set out to deliberately take players out of the game.  They'll be coming to play and do everything they know how to do to the best of their abilities.  As shall we.

It's gonna be interesting either way.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »

Ribena
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Mighty Zeus

• Legacy Fan
  • Smite the Tories (with lightning)
« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2019, 02:49:32 pm »
OK, what's wrong with a half and half mug? I don't get what the issue is.

You won't be taking it to the match. You're using it at home to drink tea out of.

As a memento of the final, OK, I wouldn't bring Tottenham-related merch into my house, but the news of Spurs making mugs seems to be pretty unremarkable information.
Socialist Ignoramus Since 2500 BCE

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2019, 02:50:33 pm »

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
I had a dream last night that we were winning this 1-0. 95th minute they get a corner, Mignolet tries to catch but drops it, the ball gets bundled in after a scuffle in the six yard box. They win on away goals apparently. But a few hours after the match VAR rules their goal out for some sort of infringement and victory is handed back to us. But nobody tells Spurs.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:26 pm »
Disagree with you on this.

The idea of "world class" is so incredibly subjective that no-one has the right to say: "this is the correct definition".

A friend of mine (Lincoln fan since their non-league days) holds the view that (nearly) all Premier League footballers are world class as they're at the elite level of football. Another mate uses the analogy of "if earth had to have a match against Mars - whereby if we lose, humanity is wiped out - it'd be the best 22 players on earth that we'd play to win the match."

You're right.

I've my own definition of World Class as well. Top 5 players in the world in each position are World Class. And my justification for this is that, if you want to form a team with the best players in the world, each position would require two players on an average (two wingers/wide players, two CMs, sometimes 2 AMs, sometimes 2DMs, 2 FBs, 2 CBs etc. etc. depending on the formation). So, the best 2 players are definitely World Class. Then you need to be able to replace them with another 2 players in case of injury/suspensions/loss of form. So, 2 more players in each position are World Class. And then one more player in each position gets a consolation spot. For GKs, we might just need 3.

People can use any number instead of 5 as how it suits them and if the player is beyond a particular level they have in mind. Some don't like to classify into different positions. It is indeed a very subjective term. As is 'great', and to set aside who are 'great' sides.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:14:20 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:51 pm »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2019, 05:58:08 pm »
Can we not jib off Madrid and have this one at Villa Park?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2019, 06:31:41 pm »
Been told Spurs' plans for a parade would be the Monday after. Kinda grating they pre-organise it on a Sunday again. Surely players will take a day off from international duty if we win...  :o
YNWA.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2019, 08:58:24 pm »
I am resigned to losing out in the CL and PL both this season.

Call me whatever you like.
Following Liverpool has been like this. A punch in the guts at the last moment.
So let me be resigned to our sorry fate.

In case we unexpectedly defy our sorry fate and pull out either a CL or PL victory out of the fire, then Good.

I refuse to get my hopes up till then.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly