Match 7: KingLuis
13 (21.7%)
Match 8: Lastrador
11 (18.3%)
Match 8: VivaBobbyGraham
4 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: September 19, 2018, 01:51:41 pm

Author Topic: Djibril Cissé's Shopping List Draft - Knockout Stages 5-8  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Djibril Cissé's Shopping List Draft - Knockout Stages 5-8
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:51:41 pm »
Welcome to the Djibril Cissé's very own Draft where drafters were tasked with creating sides using facts and stats from the life of former red Djibril.

Please judge the following teams and players on their peak ability as well as longevity for club and/or country -

_____________________________________________________Match 5_______________________________________________________

Buck Pete                                       V                                           deFacto

___________________________________________________Match 6_________________________________________________________

Gerry Attrick                                            V                                              Tubby   

____________________________________________________Match 7________________________________________________________

mikey_LFC                                                   V                                           KingLuis   

___________________________________________________Match 8_________________________________________________________

Lastrador                                                 V                               VivaBobbyGraham

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Djibril Cissé's Shopping List Draft - Knockout Stages 5-8
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
Bump. Keeping this thread above the old one!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:56:56 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »
Just some quotes on players people may overlook in my side:

Guiseppe Meazza

"I also saw Pelé playing. He did not achieve Meazza's elegant style of playing. One day, at the Arena, I witnessed him doing something astonishing: he stopped the ball with a bicycle kick, elevating himself two meters from the ground. Then he landed with the ball glued at his foot, dribbled over an astonished defender, and then went on scoring a goal with one of his hallmark shots, sardonic and accurate to the millimeter."

— Luigi Veronelli

Falcão

"Great player, smart. With feet like hands", the master Nils pronounced in front of the notebooks of Roman journalists. When the championship and cups begin, it will be clear that Falcão is not a pre-season man. He wears the number five, he explicitly demanded it as in Brazil it is a shirt that has a precise meaning, who wears it, commands the ball and when it is worn by a champion, the team revolves around him. This is exactly what happens with Falcão.

- Nils Liedholm

Jairzinho

“When people talk about the greatest forwards in history, they never remember him. It seems that he was only a forward that had his moment under the sun just during the 1970 World Cup, but he was much more than that. Jairzinho was played like Neymar, from the side to the centre and striking with precision. He had speed, strength and a lot of skill. When we played him a long ball, he was spectacular, one of the best. He bumped, gained his space with his body, and still managed to shoot with skill.” 

- Tostao

Passarella

"He was the captain of our team," says Ossie. "He was a very strong player. He played in Italy for a long time and was a great player."

Ricky adds: "He was very good in the air as well. He also scored a lot of goals from free-kicks and penalties. Captain of our World Cup-winning 1978 side, Passarella was a true leader and the fiercest competitor."

- Ardiles and Villa

Bobby Moore

“If I could wish for my son to turn out like someone, it would be Bobby Moore. He had no flaws. On the pitch he was immaculate.

He was great with kids. It's a special quality. Knowing you're something special and yet not acting like you're something special."

- George Best

Asked "Who was the toughest defender you played against?", Pele responded, "I think I can mention two in the whole of my career.

I can mention Beckenbauer who used to play for Germany and Bobby Moore when we played against England.I think those two players. Different style because Beckenbauer used to play more to control the game but man to man, the best was Bobby Moore. No doubt."

- Pele
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:23 pm »
Two of the all time best centre-backs, a two-time balon d'or winner, the greatest Italian footballer ever, three all time great Brazilians and the best keeper in the world at the moment.

That's not to mention a key member of the total football Dutch machine and solid full-backs who force a team to turn around.

The leadership and solidity offered by the two world cup winning captains Bobby Moore and Passarella at the back, with Arie Haan in front of them gives the most solid of solid foundations for that agile, skillful, rapid attack to build from.

A front three of Keegan, Meazza and Jaizinho fed through Kaka pulls McGarth and Pique all over the place. The dual threat of pace and long range-shooting means the defence can't sit off and allow Haan, Passarella and Jairzinho to shoot but also can't leave space in behind for Meazza and Keegan to operate.

Meanwhile, Falcao is the complete midfielder, and could give Xavi a lesson or two in dictating the play.

As good as Lizarazu and Thuram are, they need support in this match up and will be getting none of it from, Ronaldo and Best. They will be left playing on the counter which is comfortable for Moore and Passarella too, especially with Neuer sweeping behind.

My team lacks the names, but the system and interplay they're capable makes them far greater than the sum of their parts, which just isn't true for King Luis.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:39:55 pm »
Two of the all time best centre-backs, a two-time balon d'or winner, the greatest Italian footballer ever, three all time great Brazilians and the best keeper in the world at the moment.

That's not to mention a key member of the total football Dutch machine and solid full-backs who force a team to turn around.

The leadership and solidity offered by the two world cup winning captains Bobby Moore and Passarella at the back, with Arie Haan in front of them gives the most solid of solid foundations for that agile, skillful, rapid attack to build from.

A front three of Keegan, Meazza and Jaizinho fed through Kaka pulls McGarth and Pique all over the place. The dual threat of pace and long range-shooting means the defence can't sit off and allow Haan, Passarella and Jairzinho to shoot but also can't leave space in behind for Meazza and Keegan to operate.

Meanwhile, Falcao is the complete midfielder, and could give Xavi a lesson or two in dictating the play.

As good as Lizarazu and Thuram are, they need support in this match up and will be getting none of it from, Ronaldo and Best. They will be left playing on the counter which is comfortable for Moore and Passarella too, especially with Neuer sweeping behind.

My team lacks the names, but the system and interplay they're capable makes them far greater than the sum of their parts, which just isn't true for King Luis.

I like your squad mate.  A lot of relevant consideration -- great picks. 

However, I think Tubby King Luis (ahem) might have the team of the tournament --- Trend is not destiny here though, good luck.

Trent
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:05:17 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:50:48 pm »
I like your squad mate.  A lot of relevant consideration -- great picks. 

However, I think Tubby might have the team of the tournament --- Trend is not destiny here though, good luck.

Trent

True, lucky I'm not playing him yet then though haha!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:52:37 pm »
Not surprised I'm getting a kicking here, even I thought long and hard about voting for me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 04:05:39 pm »
True, lucky I'm not playing him yet then though haha!

King Luis too!!! :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:06:54 pm »
Not surprised I'm getting a kicking here, even I thought long and hard about voting for me.

Haha.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:06 pm »
King Luis too!!! :)

Seems like I've come at the King and missed.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »
Seems like I've come at the King and missed.

Not the only one

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 05:21:51 pm »
I think for me my midfield out matches and nullifies Pete's midfield 3, dominating the ball and possession, making it more difficult for them to impose themselves on the game and provide proper service to Messi, who would have to drop back to get on the ball, and containing him partially that way.

I think that's where the match is won :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
Post-match bump. Was Wijnaldum available in any of the categories? Wish I'd drafted him  :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »
Post-match bump. Was Wijnaldum available in any of the categories? Wish I'd drafted him  :D

Pity anyone who drafted Neymar :P

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:31 pm »
I should've drafted Bobby instead of Maradona.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 10:36:34 pm »
Did Cisse ever play with Andy Robertson? Or has he been in a film?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 11:25:49 pm »
Bump.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 10:29:41 am »
I think for me my midfield out matches and nullifies Pete's midfield 3, dominating the ball and possession, making it more difficult for them to impose themselves on the game and provide proper service to Messi, who would have to drop back to get on the ball, and containing him partially that way.

I think that's where the match is won :)

But Paul Breitner levelled David Villa in the opening minutes ala Milner on Neymar, so your attack is clearly depleted.

We have one of the closer match-ups here actually mate but I agree your midfield would overrun mine and is probably why I'm going out.

Messi and Ibra leading the attack can't be sniffed at though

Finally, Zbigniew Boniek is a 3rd class knight of Order of Merit of the Italian Republic. That has to get me a couple of votes :)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 10:48:22 am »

Nice write-up, it's obvious a lot of thought has gone into your team. The scoreline is a bit harsh on you I think. You've a great team overall and I'd say the only thing letting you down is your full-backs. Kolarov especially sticks out like a sore thumb. Decent player with a wand of a left foot, but he probably couldn't believe his luck to be picked in an all-time draft ;D Small margins, but that's always the case in these drafts where every team is great and we essentially have to nitpick in order to choose a winner.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:34 am »
Nice write-up, it's obvious a lot of thought has gone into your team. The scoreline is a bit harsh on you I think. You've a great team overall and I'd say the only thing letting you down is your full-backs. Kolarov especially sticks out like a sore thumb. Decent player with a wand of a left foot, but he probably couldn't believe his luck to be picked in an all-time draft ;D Small margins, but that's always the case in these drafts where every team is great and we essentially have to nitpick in order to choose a winner.

Yeah agreed he is the weak-link in my side. Left-back came late in the draft for me and it shows. Was hoping Emlyn Hughes would slip another round, if not I had Abidal in my mind as back-up. Took that risk and it didn't pay off. Thought the quality at centre-back would allow the left-back to be more attacking but it would be tough against that front three.

Your front three in particular is ridiculous. George Best and Ian Rush fell so far down the draft, they're both great picks.

I think Keegan is continuously under-rated by voters and drafters a like, because he achieved most of his success elsewhere. He was a top talent, up there with the very best to play for us but isn't seen as such.

I also think the quality up front is prioritised over defensive solidity. Mostly though it was luck of the draw coming up against one of the top 3 teams in the draft.

If I was impartial, I'd probably have voted for you too really. I've got a great side, but yours just has attacking options that are a level above.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 11:54:37 am »
First time I've really seen Lastrador's team and I think it might be the dark horse of this draft. Really well balanced with no discernible weaknesses - strong and complimentary CB partnership, Maldini where he should be at LB, Carlos Alberto tearing up the right side which allows Savicevic to cut inside, powerful midfield, Bergkamp-Van Basten the stuff of dreams/nightmares, and even Giggs looks alright on the left!

Unlucky Mikey facing such a brilliant team in the first round. Unfortunately for you your weak link Kolarov is up against one of the top 3 wingers ever in Best! Your central defence is incredible and Rush would be in no man's land against those two, but as you say yourself defenders are not quite as well appreciated as attackers. And yeah, Keegan is perennially underrated in these things. I think the fact that he left us and then was completely overshadowed by his replacement Kenny plays some part too.

Went for deFacto (his midfield + strong CB partnership winning it for me) and Tubby (just too strong all over the park + Diego).

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »
Viva got more votes than any of the other teams in his side of the bracket that did not win! 

Well out mate.  Way to stick with it ---  you had me at Rio.

Anyhow, there are going to be some cracking quater-final matches!  Good luck all.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 03:28:05 pm »
Viva got more votes than any of the other teams in his side of the bracket that did not win! 

Well out mate.  Way to stick with it ---  you had me at Rio.

Anyhow, there are going to be some cracking quater-final matches!  Good luck all.

Tough draw, as are most in this excellent draft. Had some problems and got behind in the draft but no excuse. Well done all and bless Trend for trying to soften the blow. Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and Batustuta at their peak deserved a little better than the can of whup ass opened on me by Lastrador who has a really good team. And Baresi would keep most attacks out on his own let alone with Rio alongside. Ah, well, Good luck. Gonna be tough finding a winner
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:29:38 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same